Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Didn't IE favourites used to be a literal folder full of .URL files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats a good lightweight program for capturing screen video and sound? I'd been using vclip just for excerpting little sections of youtubes or whatever but I've found the sound desyncs if you go longer than a minute or so, even on my new comp

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Can you use the game bar (Win+G)?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
ShareX?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I use OBS Studio

Tips if you use it:
1. Leave the canvas resolution as your desktop's resolution. You want to change "output resolution" if you want the video to be in a lower resolution than your desktop.
2. The default video setting is "Software (x264) low CPU usage preset, increases file size". If you have a graphics card, you probably want "Hardware (NVENC, HEVC)". The hardware options will make your graphics card do the video processing instead of the CPU. HEVC is a synonym for x265, a codec released in 2013 which allows a smaller file size for the same quality, processor usage, and processing time.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The best option would be to use youtube-dl and video editor, but that could be an annoying extra hassle if you only want small section of the video.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah OBS is good to.

If you're going to download I def prefer JDownloader 2 as my app of choice. It's fantastic for downloading from YT et al.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Saukkis posted:

The best option would be to use youtube-dl and video editor, but that could be an annoying extra hassle if you only want small section of the video.
I thought yt-dlp was the fork to go with when the original youtube-dl got harassed by google. I can't really find a comparison now. The one in your link seems to get updates too. Weird, I thought the beef was about YouTube being in the name or something.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I thought yt-dlp was the fork to go with when the original youtube-dl got harassed by google. I can't really find a comparison now. The one in your link seems to get updates too. Weird, I thought the beef was about YouTube being in the name or something.

Yeah, that seems better option. I was aware of the issue but couldn't remember what was the current choice and got confused by the name.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh yeah I used to mess around with obs a little i could figure that out. might try sharex to see how it runs on my work comp first. thx!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Why not use shadowplay, unless you're looking for something that works like snipping tool but for video

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Windows 10 and later has Shadowplay functionality just built in with 'Game Bar'. It's actually quite good and provides better general performance and frame pacing vs Shadowplay.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i kind of want a snipping tool thing, not to record my whole desktop by default. like vclip is good if i want to instantly drag a box around a youtube video and save 20 seconds of it and post it to twitter without it being too big, it just falls apart once the video starts getting much longer

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah i kind of want a snipping tool thing, not to record my whole desktop by default. like vclip is good if i want to instantly drag a box around a youtube video and save 20 seconds of it and post it to twitter without it being too big, it just falls apart once the video starts getting much longer

Someone recommended this to me for video clipping a while back and it is fantastic for it. I record games I play and it's just click to set beginning and click to set ending and boom, you have a clip. With VLC I had to watch the whole thing I wanted to clip.

https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a game with no audio, and after some playing around I'm convinced the reason is it's binding to the wrong audio device. With no in-game option to change it.

Is there some ways in Windows to force it to use a different audio device, or maybe wrap the launcher so it only sees the one I want? Google is not helping.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just a wild guess but video cards usually have audio passthrough that can be enabled by default or per application. Worth testing it both with and without it. Some games show it as an option in the sound settings.

Should be accessible through your video cards settings, such as Nvidia control panel.

E: maybe also GeForce Experience or whatever the AMD version is but those are slow and painful to navigate.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 21, 2023

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Chuu posted:

I have a game with no audio, and after some playing around I'm convinced the reason is it's binding to the wrong audio device. With no in-game option to change it.

Is there some ways in Windows to force it to use a different audio device, or maybe wrap the launcher so it only sees the one I want? Google is not helping.

Right-Click on the speaker icon in the system tray, select Sound settings.
In there, you can see which is the default sound device windows is using in the top drop-down list.

All the way down in the Sound settings window, there are extended sound options which allow you to assign a sound device to each app (or the default one from the drop down list, see above).

If you have your game running in the background, it show up here as well. Make sure it's using a sound device that is actually connected, and not, for instance, your HDMI audio output.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Just a wild guess but video cards usually have audio passthrough that can be enabled by default or per application. Worth testing it both with and without it. Some games show it as an option in the sound settings.

Should be accessible through your video cards settings, such as Nvidia control panel.

E: maybe also GeForce Experience or whatever the AMD version is but those are slow and painful to navigate.

If you use EarTrumpet, you can force applications to specific audio devices. Right click the application, click on the ⇆ symbol and you can specify which playback source you want to use for it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Probably dumb question, but here goes.

I have an Access database to document data about patients we work with (health department). This info could easily have been put into an Excel spreadsheet which anyone can use, but for some reason my boss did it in Access.

Anyway, I need to add a new Tab within the database table. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this.

See the pic below for what I'm talking about :

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Annath posted:

I have an Access database to document data about patients we work with (health department). This info could easily have been put into an Excel spreadsheet which anyone can use, but for some reason my boss did it in Access.

Anyway, I need to add a new Tab within the database table. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this.

See the pic below for what I'm talking about :

My Access is a little rusty, but that tab you have open looks like the Design View for a table called "... 2022-2023 Template".

What do you mean by adding a new tab?

Do want to create a new table, e.g. based on this one? You can copy and paste the table in the list on the left.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Annath posted:

That tabbar is for showing the currently open tables, so open another table. It is nothing like tabs in Excel.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

GigaFuzz posted:

My Access is a little rusty, but that tab you have open looks like the Design View for a table called "... 2022-2023 Template".

What do you mean by adding a new tab?

Do want to create a new table, e.g. based on this one? You can copy and paste the table in the list on the left.

The tab on the table where some of the text is blacked out? I want to make a copy of that tab right next to it, only named "2023-2024"

MikusR posted:

That tabbar is for showing the currently open tables, so open another table. It is nothing like tabs in Excel.

Ah, got it. Yeah I have no idea why my boss made it an Access database. As far as I can tell, we're not using any Access features...

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Annath posted:

The tab on the table where some of the text is blacked out? I want to make a copy of that tab right next to it, only named "2023-2024"

Ah, got it. Yeah I have no idea why my boss made it an Access database. As far as I can tell, we're not using any Access features...

Ok, that tab is just showing whichever table you selected. To make a new one, right-click the name of the table in the list on the left (it's highlighted red in your screenshot) > Copy. Then either right click > Paste or Ctrl-V and it should give you a dialog to Paste Table As. You can give it a name and choose if you want to copy the data or just the structure.

You can then double-click it to open in a new tab.

E: Kinda beaten

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Annath posted:

I would guess that a patient database might be more useful than an Excel sheet because you could query it in a more robust way.

Why it’s specifically in an Access database is another question altogether though

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Last Chance posted:

I would guess that a patient database might be more useful than an Excel sheet because you could query it in a more robust way.

Why it’s specifically in an Access database is another question altogether though

Oh, I'm sure a database is more useful in a data management sense, but I assure you that it's being used purely in the manner you could duplicate in Excel.

Nobody is running reports or anything. This is used purely to track when each patient's last exam was, and whether or not they've been sent a reminder postcard.

We have no in-office IT folks, so as one of the younger Nurses, and the only one who knows anything about computers, I get nominated for everything from managing data files like this to hooking up the laptop to the projector for our quarterly meetings.

I use an Excel spreadsheet for a similar tracking purpose and it works just fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Annath posted:

Oh, I'm sure a database is more useful in a data management sense, but I assure you that it's being used purely in the manner you could duplicate in Excel.

Nobody is running reports or anything. This is used purely to track when each patient's last exam was, and whether or not they've been sent a reminder postcard.

We have no in-office IT folks, so as one of the younger Nurses, and the only one who knows anything about computers, I get nominated for everything from managing data files like this to hooking up the laptop to the projector for our quarterly meetings.

I use an Excel spreadsheet for a similar tracking purpose and it works just fine.

I have our team using Microsoft Lists for a general caseload management solution. It's basically a front end to an Excel document that's easier to set up for less expert users and is more pleasant to use.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm playing sound from my line in to my speakers (using "Listen to this device" in the Line in's properties in the sound control panel) but it's quiet. I'd like to make it louder without increasing the volume of any of my apps. How could I do that? This would presumably be the same procedure as if it were a microphone, if that makes it easier.

I can also choose what playback device it goes to, so if there's some app that adds another virtual playback device which is just your speakers but louder, that would also work.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Ended up using Equalizer APO and it worked like a charm.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
Is there a way to remove or bypass the password/login screen for Windows (both 10 and 11) that is linked to a Microsoft account for Office 365? I have tried disabling Windows Hello, removing PIN (which only made me scramble to find my Microsoft password), and editing the registry.

FWIW, both machines are never going to leave my home, so I just want them to boot without any interaction from me. My W11 laptop is the more important concern because it now shuts down when I try to wake it after it goes to sleep. That's a whole other can of worms that I haven't attempted to fix yet. I suspect that my laptop is a bit broken, because this only started happening after I managed to squish a USB dongle into the port that is right next to the power button and had to get it out with some pliers.

All of the guides/videos that I have found don't seem to work. Any help? Or flame me for being stupid and missing something obvious is okay with me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TATPants posted:

Is there a way to remove or bypass the password/login screen for Windows (both 10 and 11) that is linked to a Microsoft account for Office 365? I have tried disabling Windows Hello, removing PIN (which only made me scramble to find my Microsoft password), and editing the registry.

FWIW, both machines are never going to leave my home, so I just want them to boot without any interaction from me. My W11 laptop is the more important concern because it now shuts down when I try to wake it after it goes to sleep. That's a whole other can of worms that I haven't attempted to fix yet. I suspect that my laptop is a bit broken, because this only started happening after I managed to squish a USB dongle into the port that is right next to the power button and had to get it out with some pliers.

All of the guides/videos that I have found don't seem to work. Any help? Or flame me for being stupid and missing something obvious is okay with me.

it'll work if you put the pliers back in

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Arivia posted:

Clever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TATPants posted:

Have you tried the instructions in the first answer (nelplwiz) in this link?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autologon-on-a-microsoft-account/e8a3e307-3242-4334-9328-22f01871bc23

Other than that, you don't strictly need the main user account to be MS linked for Office 365. Or at least, not the Office part of it. I had O365 for a while and have never done MS accounts. Maybe onedrive need it.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Klyith posted:

Have you tried the instructions in the first answer (nelplwiz) in this link?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autologon-on-a-microsoft-account/e8a3e307-3242-4334-9328-22f01871bc23

Other than that, you don't strictly need the main user account to be MS linked for Office 365. Or at least, not the Office part of it. I had O365 for a while and have never done MS accounts. Maybe onedrive need it.

This did it for my W10 desktop. Thank you so very much!

From the guide you sent me a link to, the option of "Users must enter a username and password" is not a tick box on my W11 laptop. If you have any advice, please let me know. If not, no worries - you have been extremely helpful.

edit: figured it out for W11. I had to change a registry entry to allow the tick box to show up. Thanks again.

TATPants fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 30, 2023

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Arivia posted:

I thought of this reply too late to make it funny anymore.

Instructions unclear. There is no room for the pliers to fit inside the USB port.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm being informed via a popup on my work laptop that windows 11 22h2 is here and would I like to opt-in.

would I like to opt-in? I'm currently running windows 11 21h2.

I could ask IT but IT is busy with the other 150k employees at my company's business and I'd rather just quietly decide for myself.

I took a quick look at the known issues for 22h2 https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2 and didn't see anything super concerning, but I don't trust Microsoft to list stuff that I'd care about like "we took away a feature you were using" or "with this update you won't be able to use an external monitor over HDMI any more" or some poo poo I don't know

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh I've been running it on my work laptop and all my home gear since it hit and haven't had any issues.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've been putting off moving from 10 to 11.

I had to switch on my work laptop, and I can't stand the changes to the UI (Mac Taskbar :argh:).

Are there compelling reasons to make the jump?

Are there ways to get rid of the UI changes?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can move the Start button to the far left so it's more like Windows 10. I do that by default.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

No, and no (3rd party stuff can fix a lot of it though, if you want to go that route).

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Annath posted:

I've been putting off moving from 10 to 11.

I had to switch on my work laptop, and I can't stand the changes to the UI (Mac Taskbar :argh:).

I did StartAllBack, then got a wonderful deal on ObjectDesktop, of which I’d already used several components from for over a decade. I just re-upped it for another year back in April. It’s paid, and I wouldn’t get the whole thing at “official” prices, but they run deals a LOT and it’s component pieces change/customize almost every single part of Windows 11’s UI/UX.