Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Jhet posted:

Nope, go Tbirds. It’s nice that a Seattle team is showing they can finish off a few series. They pull off this last period and they’re off to the memorial cup.

Great result, the team is legit good. Cool to see it broadcast via TSN too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1659760106819694592?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Pavelski kicking this puck to Benn to tie it up was unbelievable, had to watch this replay like 10 times to fully appreciate it

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the athletic had a general "panthers from awful franchise to competent again piece" which had some funny bits but this took the cake:

quote:

There were sweetheart sponsorship deals that included ridiculous clauses, like building a pool at a sponsor’s home. Jordan Zimmerman, a minority owner at the time, had his name put on all 8,689 seats in the lower bowl as part of a marketing deal for his eponymous advertising company. It was supposed to be a one-year deal. A dozen years later, his name’s still on every seat.

“He basically said, ‘What are they going to do, tear up the seats after a year?’” said one former Panthers executive.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Alot of the Oilers twitter crowd is still very sore that Bill Zito was passed over for the job of Oilers GM in favor of Ken Holland.. one of those branching paths of history moments in sports you know..

For as much of a disaster he was left to grapple with on the Florida salary cap with these legacy contracts / cap hits for the likes of Sergei Bobrovksi, Keith Yandle and Patric Hornqvist he's done an amazing job of sorting things out in Florida and he has them in excellent shape moving forward with one of the youngest cores among playoff teams.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 21, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

clean ayers act posted:

the athletic had a general "panthers from awful franchise to competent again piece" which had some funny bits but this took the cake:

Ha I’m gonna have to check my seat on Monday. I’m sure I’ve seen names on some, but not all, and not picked up on them being the same.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

clean ayers act posted:

I used to have to work with teams from Zimmerman and every single person hated that man.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Florida Hockey Cat Panthers are going to win the Stanley Cup

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
That was a beautiful OT goal. Appreciate Tkachuk running out the door again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tkachuk conn smythe while the Flames hire Dave Nonis

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Even if the Canes somehow come back, GMs are going to learn so many stupid lessons from the Panthers' success.

money making game
Feb 14, 2003

God damnit, Canes

:irony:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

eXXon posted:

Even if the Canes somehow come back, GMs are going to learn so many stupid lessons from the Panthers' success.

What's the lesson? They look a lot like last year's Panthers, which they should. The roster is basically as good, they replaced Joe Thornton with Eric Staal, swapped Huberdeau and Tkachuck, and their Claude Giroux rental expired. The Panthers' only mistake in my eyes was hiring Paul Maurice, and they're getting by despite him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What's the lesson? They look a lot like last year's Panthers, which they should. The roster is basically as good, they replaced Joe Thornton with Eric Staal, swapped Huberdeau and Tkachuck, and their Claude Giroux rental expired. The Panthers' only mistake in my eyes was hiring Paul Maurice, and they're getting by despite him.

They look like crap for most of a game, get bailed out by their star goalie who also looked like crap for most of the last four years until suddenly going super saiyan a month ago, and pull some random skill play out of their rear end at the most opportune moment. Basically what Koopa Kid said but make it 9-1 now:

Koopa Kid posted:

Panthers are 8-1 in their last 9, 6 of those games won by a single goal, 5 of them in OT. No OT losses. All thanks to one player:

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1659525730139611136?s=20

At a certain point they're not gonna be able to keep getting away with this

What lesson is there to learn from this? I don't know, but it will be funny to see GMs try to replicate whatever the Florida model is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Panthers lost a ton of games at the beginning of the year that they “deserved to win”, so decided to say gently caress the stats and changed it so they actually won rather than being good on paper.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

They look like crap for most of a game, get bailed out by their star goalie who also looked like crap for most of the last four years until suddenly going super saiyan a month ago, and pull some random skill play out of their rear end at the most opportune moment. Basically what Koopa Kid said but make it 9-1 now:

What lesson is there to learn from this? I don't know, but it will be funny to see GMs try to replicate whatever the Florida model is.

I haven’t watched most of the games the last two rounds so I can’t speak to it directly. but Carolina always looks way better on paper than when i watch them for whatever reason. last year they had only a handful of actually threatening chances in the Rangers series. was really weird. Jfresh and others are fairly skeptical of public numbers on them:

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1660146094142025734?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The Panthers can't keep winning coin flips, I say, my voice growing increasingly hoarse and shrill.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Their defense is def not as good (Marc Staal) but they’re clicking at the right time plus as mentioned Bob is on fire.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
so... is bob a hall of fame goalie if he wins the cup?
I always forget that he has those two vezinas. the only other goalie with multiple vezina trophies(modern criteria) and a cup who is not in the HOF is Tim Thomas

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

so... is bob a hall of fame goalie if he wins the cup?
I always forget that he has those two vezinas. the only other goalie with multiple vezina trophies(modern criteria) and a cup who is not in the HOF is Tim Thomas

Given the criteria the the HoF is really the hall of very good as a floor, I would say he eventually gets in for sure.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Kind of an interesting discussion to have should he win a Cup. If he retired after this season, I'd have a hard time believing he gets in, even with his hardware, but he would be considered. Right now he's at 360 wins and a .915 career save percentage, which is pretty solid!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Barkov's goal was pretty cool

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I mean if they win the cup this year, dude has a pretty good shot at the conn smythe too, which would make him first ballot probably.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bob’s play does deserve a Conn Smythe, but it almost has to be Tkachuk if the Cats go all the way.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Hall of Fame tends to be pretty tight on goaltenders, doesn’t it?

Duckman2008 posted:

Bob’s play does deserve a Conn Smythe, but it almost has to be Tkachuk if the Cats go all the way.

If the Panthers make the finals we might be in the funny situation where the Conn Smythe goes to Tkachuk if they win and Bobrovsky if they lose.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

That'd give him the same trophy case as Tim Thomas and Thomas isn't getting in anytime soon because he's a loving monster

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

The Hall of Fame tends to be pretty tight on goaltenders, doesn’t it?

Usually but then they put Lou in first ballot having won no major awards and no cups.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Usually but then they put Lou in first ballot having won no major awards and no cups.

Yeah, because he's the best shitposter goalie of all time.

https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/1659634154164592640

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

He deserves a cup so much

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

The HHoF considers international play alongside NHL play. Luongo has an Olympic gold and I think also at least one World Cup gold. Does Bobrovsky have anything equivalent?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

The HHoF considers international play alongside NHL play. Luongo has an Olympic gold and I think also at least one World Cup gold. Does Bobrovsky have anything equivalent?

Oh of course but few NHL only players get in primarily on the strength of their international play. He went to three Olympics but was never the outright starter going in. In 2006 he was the straight backup to Brodeur. Lou was the backup again to start in 2010 and rose to the starter. He didn't make the tournament all-star team. In 2014 he barely played as he backed up Carey Price. He won two golds but I don't think many people would really credit him significantly for 2010 and he effectively didn't participate in 2014. He went to the World Championship a lot and I guess the HHOF selection committee valued that highly.

Luongo make the hall basically on the strength of being really good for a very long time. I was genuinely stunned he and the Sedins were first ballot guys. I know it's all Lanny's vibes for who makes it, but it was a strange decision as none are really generational talents. I imagine if all three hadn't been first time eligible the same year none would've been put in straight away.

Bob won a World Championship in 2014. He's basically the complete opposite of Lou in that he has the awards and (maybe) a cup but has had one of the most mercurial careers of a starting goaltender the sport has ever seen. If he wins a cup I would think Bob will make it or at least be on the short list for a long time. I doubt he gets in any of his first few years of eligibility though. The other thing to consider is how the Russian factor will play into things moving forward especially if they are going to be the global pariah for the foreseeable future. Politics shouldn't factor into this stuff but they certainly have over the years.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Luongo was a very easy choice, he's way up there for lots of goalie stats and was a very high level starter for close to 20 years. There just aren't many goalies who last that long.

Also hard to get on him for no individual awards when he had a year where he was 2nd in Hart voting.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

He deserves a cup so much

yeah a cup of crap

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They seem to focus more on actual career performance for goalies over hardware. In that case even with a cup Bobrovsky wouldn't deserve it, but also they're arbitrary so who knows.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
First ballot is a pretty meaningless distinction for the HHOF (and really anything besides baseball) and the bar isn't "generational talent". The Sedins were also part of the skipped Covid year for the HHOF so they did actually have to wait 4 years instead of 3 so who knows if they should even count.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Aphrodite posted:

They seem to focus more on actual career performance for goalies over hardware. In that case even with a cup Bobrovsky wouldn't deserve it, but also they're arbitrary so who knows.

I wonder if the years of being a cap anchor will drag him down in voters eyes

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Luongo was a very easy choice, he's way up there for lots of goalie stats and was a very high level starter for close to 20 years. There just aren't many goalies who last that long.

Also hard to get on him for no individual awards when he had a year where he was 2nd in Hart voting.

I watched Luongo for many years as a Canucks fan, trust me I recognize how talented he was. The HHOF tends to value personal accolades quite highly for NHL players. Lou was basically the second or third best goalie in the NHL for fifteen years. Kiprusoff was just as effective for a long stretch like Lou (albeit shorter) and he even won a Vezina but he's still waiting. Certainly Lundqvist and likely Miller will get in when they come eligible in a year's time.

Then again almost without fail in recent years the only goaltenders to make the hall have been first ballot guys. The only exception since Billy Smith in 93 was Rogie Vachon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

First ballot is a pretty meaningless distinction for the HHOF (and really anything besides baseball) and the bar isn't "generational talent".

For goalies it sure is. Basically if you don't get in first try you don't get in at all.

And yeah first ballot has less significance than it does in baseball (the nhl equivalent was skipped waiting period but they nixed that after Gretzky) but it's still an honour largely reserved for the best of the best.

The Sedins were also part of the skipped Covid year for the HHOF so they did actually have to wait 4 years instead of 3 so who knows if they should even count.

That made it harder for them to get in first time not easier because there was two seasons of retired players eligible instead of one.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 21, 2023

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/McCartyDangles/status/1660141989449416705?s=20

ok i am now officially a matthew Tkachuk fan

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Powershift posted:

A human mouth shouldn't be able to open that wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

And yeah first ballot has less significance than it does in baseball (the nhl equivalent was skipped waiting period but they nixed that after Gretzky) but it's still an honour largely reserved for the best of the best.

I thought they nixed it after Lemieux ended up playing for 4 years after being inducted into the HOF.