Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Some of the killers also just have nothing to do with the Entity, usually the licensed eldritch-y ones. Pyramid Head is very explicitly doing his own thing which is why he can bend or ignore a lot of the other rules killers follow, and Pinhead is free to come and go as he pleases being an extradimensional horror to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For the Outlast trials, I'd recommend against starting a match unless you have a really solid chunk of time to play. I had to just quit out of a match because after an hour of running around in circles trying to find a specific key and I had things I had to do. It's not as bad if you have a full team of four to scour the map but you end up really running in circles because the random generation nature of the match demands that stuff can just be kind of everywhere.

I'm past the refund window now so it is what it is but man if stuff spawns in a side room or a far off corner the game can get really frustrating really fast.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

For the Outlast trials, I'd recommend against starting a match unless you have a really solid chunk of time to play. I had to just quit out of a match because after an hour of running around in circles trying to find a specific key and I had things I had to do. It's not as bad if you have a full team of four to scour the map but you end up really running in circles because the random generation nature of the match demands that stuff can just be kind of everywhere.

I'm past the refund window now so it is what it is but man if stuff spawns in a side room or a far off corner the game can get really frustrating really fast.

Yeah the main missions are like 30-50minute time commitments. the MK trials are more bitesized for people who don't have much time to play.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hel posted:

Doesn't Amnesia The Bunker have procedurally generated "bunkers"? It doesn't seem like it would be too long then.

as far as i know, the map itself is fixed, with other undefined elements being randomized (presumably item drops and maybe traps or special events like the rats)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Disposable Scud posted:

Behaviors writing is as good as their coding.

I honestly couldn't tell you which one is worse.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hey Outlast is one of the few games with dicks so it's aces in my book

Does the new one have dicks? This is important. I need some physics based flopping.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

sigher posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you which one is worse.

Does the new one have dicks? This is important. I need some physics based flopping.

It does.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked Outlast 1 and the dlc. I beat Outlast 2 and remember a few good parts but have absolutely no desire to play it again. It’s no Illbleed and no mistake

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think I've decided that I'm coming down on the side of not recommending Outlast Trials. It's actually pretty decent the first time through the levels and there is some neat design, but I'm playing it and the game is going "Now replay the same mission with harder difficulty" and I find myself asking "why". There are a lot of games where higher difficulties are more fun with elite enemies and such, but for this one having more enemies and traps just sounds like a gigantic pain in the rear end, not a satisfying test of skill. I'm probably going to do my best to run through the levels once and then drop it unless something big happens.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Enemabag Jones posted:

Outlast 2 has such a cool setting, too. Southern gothic cult horror? Hell yeah, I'm in. It just squanders it so quickly. Closest game I can think of that pulls off something similar would be that one indie game from a few years back where you're exploring your old abandoned cult compound. It was alright.

Give me more cults, dammit.

Sagebrush.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/864100/Sagebrush/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I thought the found footage style was cool. Really creepy atmosphere and enemies. :shrug:

Outlast 2 was def not good tho

it's too bad about the everything else

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think I've decided that I'm coming down on the side of not recommending Outlast Trials. It's actually pretty decent the first time through the levels and there is some neat design, but I'm playing it and the game is going "Now replay the same mission with harder difficulty" and I find myself asking "why". There are a lot of games where higher difficulties are more fun with elite enemies and such, but for this one having more enemies and traps just sounds like a gigantic pain in the rear end, not a satisfying test of skill. I'm probably going to do my best to run through the levels once and then drop it unless something big happens.

I did the hard mode version of the prison today and I found it chaotic in a fun way but it also highlights the biggest flaw with the game which is that enemies have a habit of sort of camping the objective areas and trying to peel them off so your teammate can power the generator or push the snitch, etc can be frustrating. I honestly have zero idea how the gently caress anyone could play this solo just due to that alone.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't think that it's necessarily that the killers lost hope, they are just the mechanism by which the entity terrorizes the survivors and it pulls willing participants in to use. Some of the killers wander into the fog and just keep doing what they were already doing with some light prodding, but others are giddy at the opportunity.

The survivors get their memories wiped after each match but it's not complete, so after a while I think the entity just stops reviving them.

It's also implied that the entity and the realm it exists in is extradimensional and definitely timeless, to where 2 "versions" of you can exist from different timelines. The coolest part of the DBD lore is that it's flexible enough as a fanfic engine to make a feasible interaction between any horror icons across any media.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Remember when they made Pyramid Head too thick and had to nerf his rear end

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I did the hard mode version of the prison today and I found it chaotic in a fun way but it also highlights the biggest flaw with the game which is that enemies have a habit of sort of camping the objective areas and trying to peel them off so your teammate can power the generator or push the snitch, etc can be frustrating. I honestly have zero idea how the gently caress anyone could play this solo just due to that alone.

Yeah we had that during the last part of the circus act 1, where we had the two roamers plus Dr. Feelbad or whatever his name is with the sprayer just sitting on top of the cart. We had to just end up tanking hits for the person pushing so we could complete the mission which of course meant a D rating.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Remember when they made Pyramid Head too thick and had to nerf his rear end

A sad day for gamers and therefore the world.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah we had that during the last part of the circus act 1, where we had the two roamers plus Dr. Feelbad or whatever his name is with the sprayer just sitting on top of the cart. We had to just end up tanking hits for the person pushing so we could complete the mission which of course meant a D rating.

Yep that same poo poo has happened both times we've done that level. I'm not sure exactly what you're supposed to do, maybe time a blind mine or something..That's the only tool none of us have used so far.

My friends and I still are enjoying the game but your complaints are pretty on point regardless.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yep that same poo poo has happened both times we've done that level. I'm not sure exactly what you're supposed to do, maybe time a blind mine or something..That's the only tool none of us have used so far.

My friends and I still are enjoying the game but your complaints are pretty on point regardless.

I had the mine and used it to blind the puppet lady but unfortunately it was only one of three. It is really strong if you can hit it though, it disables and seemingly sometimes despawns enemies entirely.

Imo part of the issue is that the ai isn't reliable in its chasing. If I compare it to something like dead by daylight it's ground floor fundamentals to try and bait the killer off of someone doing an objective and run for it. But because of the way aggro works, or because of the light/noise system, or whatever that doesn't work a lot of the time. I've had the killers just walk directly past me in full daylight many times, and if they are already trying to chase someone the only way to really distract them is to either peg them with a brick or get right in their face and take a grab. It's probably just buggy since it's a new game, but it's definitely something that needs to be fixed. To your point, I have no idea how you would do this solo other than taking the blind mine and sit in corners waiting for it to recharge every time you have to do a loud objective.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the aggro system really needs work in general, I think that they have some sort of LoS issues when it comes to doors (even when they're open) because when trying to peel certain enemies off of areas the big lanky guys especially (who I know can fit through these doors) will just..Stop and kind of wander away if I'm more than 5 feet infront of them when baiting them around.

I also think broken glass needs a rework because
1. I hate how it impacts your grade even if no enemies are alerted.
and
2. the enemies have insane hearing I guess because you can be nowhere near them and step on some and hear the music sting of them hearing it.

I do think that yeah since this is early access first week these are things that can be changed and tweaked and I hope the devs are quick on fixing things because I think the game's life really depends on it otherwise it'll just die after being a FOTM game.

The progression system I also think is a bit..wonky, I'm my group's medic and I basically have zero incentive to spend tickets upgrading my rig because all of the upgrades are pretty minor (increased radius [lol] or silent gas. The one good one was some sort of enemy slow component to the gas but it was reall far down the upgrade tree.

Meanwhile the perma upgrade passives are nuts and we've been shoving all our tickets onto those instead, we opened up tier 2 last night and it has stuff like "have a 4th inventory slot, run faster and longer, etc" Maybe the other rigs have much more impactful upgrades though IDK.

e: Oh and before I forget, the guys that scream and make you unable to move are just obnoxious, the radius they effect is absurd.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 21, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's probably game of the year then.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the aggro system really needs work in general, I think that they have some sort of LoS issues when it comes to doors (even when they're open) because when trying to peel certain enemies off of areas the big lanky guys especially (who I know can fit through these doors) will just..Stop and kind of wander away if I'm more than 5 feet infront of them when baiting them around.

and
2. the enemies have insane hearing I guess because you can be nowhere near them and step on some and hear the music sting of them hearing it.

I do think that yeah since this is early access first week these are things that can be changed and tweaked and I hope the devs are quick on fixing things because I think the game's life really depends on it otherwise it'll just die after being a FOTM game.

The progression system I also think is a bit..wonky, I'm my group's medic and I basically have zero incentive to spend tickets upgrading my rig because all of the upgrades are pretty minor (increased radius [lol] or silent gas. The one good one was some sort of enemy slow component to the gas but it was reall far down the upgrade tree.

Meanwhile the perma upgrade passives are nuts and we've been shoving all our tickets onto those instead, we opened up tier 2 last night and it has stuff like "have a 4th inventory slot, run faster and longer, etc" Maybe the other rigs have much more impactful upgrades though IDK.

e: Oh and before I forget, the guys that scream and make you unable to move are just obnoxious, the radius they effect is absurd.

I have a feeling that it will probably end up being FOTM game regardless because of how the missions play out. If you know where everything is then it becomes pretty easy just to blitz it, and while I'm sure that there are people who really want to A+ every difficulty you, as you noted, have a lot of things that can ding you so it becomes annoying. There's also only so many doors you can trap and enemies you can reasonably expect people to handle.

The Rx upgrades really are the way to go like you mentioned, things like being able to kick enemies off friendlies is so obviously necessary that you have to wonder why it isn't basekit.

And yeah there are some weird enemies. The screamer is annoying for the stun, but confusing because he doesn't really seem to do much. I guess he attracts other enemies? But other than that it's just an annoyance. And I'm still not entirely clear how psychosis works, and how it related to the disguised enemies that will pop up as your teammates. I just don't go near other players that aren't trying to hide or running around and it generally isn't an issue.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The imposters are entirely disconnected from the psychosis mechanic. They come out of the elevators like the gas guy does and leave thru them too. Their names are messed up which is how you can tell, or sometimes they have the right name but the wrong rig icon. But yeah typically you only fall for them once or if you get unlucky and trapped as one comes into a room with you so they're kind of a no brainer, I do like them conceptually though.

Dracil
Oct 5, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

and

I have the Blind rig and I have it almost fully upgraded. I also had the Stun Rig which I upgraded a little and regret spending upgrades there now. The Blind Rig has a noticeably shorter cooldown than Stun Rig, so increased cooldown makes it even more useable and I have less need of the instant Rig item. One of the upgrades also gives adrenaline if you run through the smoke, which again, means another item slot saved, and also makes the stamina RX stuff less important. Another upgrade re-arms the mine after a bit, so you basically get two uses out of a single drop, which combined with the shorter cooldown means if I'm using the same mine, it'll definitely be ready by the time the second one gets used up.

The Stun Rig does have an upgrade that gives full stamina and battery though, and can also be used to get rid of traps. In general, they negate some of the RX prescriptions, but only in specific cases.

Dracil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 22, 2023

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/

check this out. don’t read anything else about it. even if you’ve never played a doom 2 map before, though you really shouldn’t miss this if you have.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/

check this out. don’t read anything else about it. even if you’ve never played a doom 2 map before, though you really shouldn’t miss this if you have.

allow me to second this recommendation, although i suspect most folks frequenting this thread have poked their nose into it already

if by some miracle you haven't, don't look anything up and just dive right in

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Look up one thing or you'll be confused like I was. You don't actually play the wad that's not the game everyone keeps talking about

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
wait so what should I look up or not look up

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Callisto Protocol is on sale on Steam. Guess I'll give it a whirl

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Saw that pop up at $20 for PS4 a bit ago, which was my general price point, but held off since I was in the middle of Star Wars/Zelda releases. Probably the next one I'll start keeping an eye on again once I'm finally done with Zelda.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
As someone who disliked Outlast and hated Outlast 2, Trials is disappointingly-good. Luckily any connection to the previous games is shoved into some bits of dialogue and lore that's completely optional.

Whereas Outlast just gave you some dark corners and lockers, Trials takes some inspiration from Alien: Isolation and gives players a number of options for evading or confronting various threats while they explore a vast map stuffed with all kinds of interactive, randomized obstacles and items. The way cooperation is implied but not actively encouraged makes tackling the maps feel a bit like a first-person RE: Outbreak successor, where splitting up to solve puzzles and force enemies to disperse is a legitimate strategy. There's nothing revolutionary about Trials' gameplay loop - it's all "avoid the monster" stuff you've seen in other titles - but the amount of effort put into the encounters, random elements, and overall polish is beyond what I expected from an Early Access title. Then there's the multiplayer.

Playing the game with 1-3 friends turns Trials from an 'okay' Isolation-like, to a chaotic, sweat-inducing experience. I haven't had this much fun stumbling around a haunted house with friends since playing Phasmaphobia for the first time. Distracting threats to allow another player to reach an objective; bumbling into a trap that draws attention to your friends; making a last-second save with a thrown brick on a grappled teammate; wacky antics like these can't be experienced in single-player. The multiplayer reeks of a more organic, less glaringly-competitive Dead by Daylight. Considering how much I loathed the series, I hate to say that I really, really enjoy playing Trials.

tl;dr - Outlast Trials is kinda like a 4-player Alien Isolation except all the real horror is replaced by gross-out shock and jump-scares.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Montague Tigg posted:

wait so what should I look up or not look up

Nothing, some people got confused about playing the myhouse.wad file instead of the one you're actually supposed to play which is myhouse.pk3 even though the wad is buried another folder layer deep.

For people who don't play Doom custom maps, go find a copy of doom2.wad you probably have one. If not go buy Doom 2 somewhere, google and download GZDoom, slap doom2.wad in the folder with it, then drag and drop myhouse.pk3 onto the gzdoom executable. Boom now you're doomin.

Optional (non-optional) step, google what menu you have to go to to turn off texture filtering because it looks awful and is on by default

Glagha fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 23, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dracil posted:

I have the Blind rig and I have it almost fully upgraded. I also had the Stun Rig which I upgraded a little and regret spending upgrades there now. The Blind Rig has a noticeably shorter cooldown than Stun Rig, so increased cooldown makes it even more useable and I have less need of the instant Rig item. One of the upgrades also gives adrenaline if you run through the smoke, which again, means another item slot saved, and also makes the stamina RX stuff less important. Another upgrade re-arms the mine after a bit, so you basically get two uses out of a single drop, which combined with the shorter cooldown means if I'm using the same mine, it'll definitely be ready by the time the second one gets used up.

The Stun Rig does have an upgrade that gives full stamina and battery though, and can also be used to get rid of traps. In general, they negate some of the RX prescriptions, but only in specific cases.

I ended up swapping to the mine after seeing this post and boy howdy do I not regret it, it really is crazy good, especially as the healing rig gets not as good when you aren't getting slapped around all the time.

Speaking of getting slapped around though, my group tried the Exam version of the snitch level and it was hilarious hearing the siren go off the second we enter the level, having to breach most pathways while running from 3 diff chasers and then all dying because the big naked guy two shots you.

Can't wait to tackle it again once we get a few more upgrades under our belt (and hopefully unlock Amps, since we're all level 9)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

Nothing, some people got confused about playing the myhouse.wad file instead of the one you're actually supposed to play which is myhouse.pk3 even though the wad is buried another folder layer deep.

For people who don't play Doom custom maps, go find a copy of doom2.wad you probably have one. If not go buy Doom 2 somewhere, google and download GZDoom, slap doom2.wad in the folder with it, then drag and drop myhouse.pk3 onto the gzdoom executable. Boom now you're doomin.

Optional (non-optional) step, google what menu you have to go to to turn off texture filtering because it looks awful and is on by default

My recommendation: download ZDL a sourceport front end. Point to gzdoom or other preferred port, put the pk3 in IWAD folder, and point to any external files you want e.g. brightmaps or HUD mods.

And yeah turn off texture filtering (I like linear mipmap so distant textures aren't pixellated mush), change sector lighting to software, and fuzz style: software so invisible enemies render properly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

E: wrong thread??? :saddowns:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 23, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's an Amnesia: The Bunker demo out on Steam, by the way.

EDIT: and i can report that in an act of spectacular cruelty it does not let you alt-f4 out

1stGear fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 24, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1661485427063394304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RInUjWOcjDw
Only five months :woop:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
myhouse is extremely impressive but i feel like you need to have some familiarity with doom wads to fully appreciate it (i do not)

i tapped out of it about halfway through and youtubed the rest because i was constantly getting lost in the same small space

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

myhouse is extremely impressive but i feel like you need to have some familiarity with doom wads to fully appreciate it (i do not)

i tapped out of it about halfway through and youtubed the rest because i was constantly getting lost in the same small space

a key point the video makes is that a large part of what's impressive about it is the fact that it plays with doom's mechanics in unexpected ways, so i can see it being a bit befuddingly if you're not used to some of the tricks being used or the basic gameplay logic community .wads follow

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's a lot of stuff that you probably wouldn't even realize was "weird" if you weren't already familiar with the limitations of the normal Doom engine which might diminish the effect somewhat. Although I think it still works overall just because it's got that element of "oh it just keeps going huh" where you think you're done and then learn that you've barely even scratched the surface of it. It reminds me a lot of those old ridiculously elaborate secrets in hondo's Action Half-Life maps that were often several times larger than the actual main map itself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

And three days before my birthday! (when I'll turn 40 :( )

So is the character voiced by James McCaffrey and modeled after Sam Lake supposed to be Max Payne, or is that just a funny nod to Max Payne that they threw in the game? I'm guessing the latter since Remedy doesn't own the rights anymore.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

King Vidiot posted:

And three days before my birthday! (when I'll turn 40 :( )

So is the character voiced by James McCaffrey and modeled after Sam Lake supposed to be Max Payne, or is that just a funny nod to Max Payne that they threw in the game? I'm guessing the latter since Remedy doesn't own the rights anymore.

It might just be a little easter egg for the fans, but considering this is an Alan Wake game I'm expecting a bunch of meta poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I would assume he's Alex Casey, the protagonist of the books Alan Wake was writing. They are pretty much Max Payne but without the license(which IIRC doesn't belong to remedy), so having the character be the same as Max Payne when written into the world makes sense.