Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I tire of Eris and her always unclear bullshit.
I want this show to be run solo by Drifter, maybe with Spider as support.
Absolutely minimal Vanguard contact, cause they bore me also.

Hell, let's get Ada up in here just for the gently caress of it.

I dig Eris's whole thing, but I can see how it's make wearing on people. Making Spider and Ada work together would be hilarious to me.

Honestly watching Drifter and Sloane murder hive for a BBQ on Titan would rule, invite the Emissary and Xûr for a taste test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MJeff posted:

Season 21 - Sloane, Drifter, ???
Season 20 - Mara, Mithrax, Devrim, Holliday, Crow
Season 19 - Ana, Osiris, Elsie, Clovis, Rasputin
Season 18 - Mithrax, Eido, Drifter, Spider
Season 17 - Eris, Crow, Zavala, Caiatl
Season 16 - Saladin, Crow, Zavala
Season 15 - Mara, Crow, Ikora, Savathun
Season 14 - Mithrax, Saint, Ikora, Osiris
Season 13 - Zavala, Saladin, Crow, Osiris
Season 12 - Osiris, Crow, Spider

If you don't like Eris, bad news cause I'm pretty sure it's her turn again.

My question is when the gently caress are we getting Failsafe in here.

Small chance of Mithrax next season since we initially met him on Titan.

eta: definitely Zavala since we’re retracing the Red War and he went to Titan

eta again: which means Failsafe will probably figure in S22

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 20, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What are they going to do about Lance? Revoice all of his lines or attempt to go the AI route?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FlapYoJacks posted:

What are they going to do about Lance? Revoice all of his lines or attempt to go the AI route?

All they've said is that he has performances yet to come. Unless they've already killed him off, which I really doubt, who the gently caress knows what happens. It would be extremely difficult to recast him, but, like, what choice do you have.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

...... gently caress. I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT UNTIL NOW

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PERMACAV 50 posted:

lol

A hearty lmao that even in the "retracing the Earth story of the Red War" season, Suraya couldn't get any lines in. Somebody really thought she was gonna catch on big and she just effectively got erased from the story immediately.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MJeff posted:

lol

A hearty lmao that even in the "retracing the Earth story of the Red War" season, Suraya couldn't get any lines in. Somebody really thought she was gonna catch on big and she just effectively got erased from the story immediately.

they could 100% recast her with someone who doesn't even sort of sound the same! no one cares! they could just have the new VA re-record her tower lines if it was that big a difference. huge whiff imo since the season was about civilians getting mixed up in guardian drama which was hawthorne's entire deal in the Y1 campaign

also: where the gently caress is Shiro? He's probably the last remaining D1 loose end to tie up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PERMACAV 50 posted:

they could 100% recast her with someone who doesn't even sort of sound the same! no one cares! they could just have the new VA re-record her tower lines if it was that big a difference. huge whiff imo since the season was about civilians getting mixed up in guardian drama which was hawthorne's entire deal in the Y1 campaign

also: where the gently caress is Shiro?

They've literally done the opposite. I'm like 99% positive her actress voices an Awoken Corsair in Forsaken.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

They should just have text boxes at this point

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm saying I don't think it's a voice actor thing, I think they just don't ever wanna use Suraya again. And it's very funny that they gave her a fairly important role in the mechanics of the game so they can't just get rid of her like they have other characters they decided they were done with, so she's just standing there, mute and meaningless to the story, throwing you an incorrectly marked pinnacle drop and 7 cores a week.

For funsies, let's do a check up on all of the characters introduce in D2Y1.

Suraya: Extremely important character in season 1, hasn't had a single line or appearance in the six years since.
Devrim: Supporting character in season 1, reacted to Cayde's death in season 4, then basically a non-entity until season 20, where he has another supporting role.
Sloane: Supporting character in season 1, reacted to Cayde's death in season 4, leaves with her planet in season 11, returns in season 21
Failsafe: Supporting character in season 1, reacted to Cayde's death in season 4, also got her own set of unique Last Wish dialogue, non-entity until present.
Asher Mir: Supporting character in season 1, reacted to Cayde's death in season 4, leaves with his planet in season 11, sort of appeared in season 14, returned in season 20.
Osiris: Supporting character in season 2, recurring character ever since.
Sagira: Supporting character in season 2, never had any lines afterwards, killed offscreen before year 4.
Ana: Supporting character in season 3, recurring character ever since.

Pretty much everybody else has been used at least a little bit, a couple characters have been used a lot, mainly the ones that already had appeared in the lore prior to D2 like Osiris and Ana and were obviously always gonna be important recurring characters, but they're even bringing back the ones they had pretty much stopped using like Devrim, Asher and Sloane. But Sagira, well, she's dead and I don't think Suraya's ever getting off that perch.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Shockeh posted:

An Arc season is going to make Crucible absolute loving misery though. Hope you like never going near any corners, ever!

*Gets Dunemarcher Shotgun/Charged to the moon*
Dunemarchers is eating a significant nerf next season: (from here)

quote:

DUNEMARCHERS
Reduced the range of the chain damage from 20m to 12m and PvP damage from 85 to 50.
Knockout is eating a nerf: (from here)

quote:

Knockout currently offers a large number of easy-to-activate, powerful effects—the most prominent of which is its long-duration melee lunge bonus which has proven to be extremely difficult to combat as a potential target. To bring this Aspect’s potency closer in line with that of its peers, we’re reducing the melee lunge bonus it provides from 2 meters to 1 meter. To offset this change in PvE, we’re also increasing its uncharged melee damage bonus vs. PvE targets from 60% to 100%.

Knockout
Lunge range reduced from 6.5m to 5.5m.
Uncharged melee PvE damage bonus increased from 60% to 100%.
Shoulder charge is eating a nerf to prevent infinite mobility: (from here)

quote:

With Update 3.4.0, we made shoulder charge abilities (Seismic Strike, Shield Bash, and Hammer Strike) significantly easier to use and increased their viability as a movement tool, at the cost of the ability to one-shot other players without intentional buildcrafting. As Subclass 3.0 has rolled out and shoulder charge abilities are no longer locked to specific subclass diamonds, it’s become clear that the extreme mobility enabled by the energy cost of shoulder charge is too high.

While we’re comfortable with players having strong movement capabilities at their disposal, these abilities should have a meaningful tradeoff for their use and shouldn’t be always-on. To that end, we’re adding a small melee energy cost to shoulder charge abilities on activation, regardless of whether a target was hit. We realize this is a big shift and don’t want to punish players who use these abilities primarily for offense, so we’re offsetting this change with a decrease in their base cooldown.

Seismic Strike, Shield Bash, Hammer Strike
Now cost 15% melee energy on activation.
Base cooldowns are now standardized at 91 seconds (previously ranged from 101s to 114s).
Striker Titan is still considered Best All-Rounder in PvP, and several hits to the remainder of its kit are being considered: (from a firing range podcast, summarized by Aztecross here)

quote:

Striker Titan is hot. It's too good. The best subclass in the game. Changes to knockout should help, but further adjustments using crucible Data will be slated for a midseason patch.

please read patch notes, chicken little.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Sestze posted:

please read patch notes, chicken little.
I’m willing enough to back the viewpoint that even, even after those second round, Striker Titan will still be monstrously prominent. I’d be willing to Ban challenge it, if there was a reasonable way to evidentially prove it one way or another. That’s how confident I am they’re bullshit, and will still be after this round and the supposed second round.

They’ve made it prominently clear they like the power fantasy (which is fine, typically), it just so happens the power fantasy for Striker when it comes to Cruci is ‘Be good at all at all the things that make a character in an FPS strong.’

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah, that's fair. I wouldn't be surprised if it remained as somewhat of a comfort pick after Tuesday anyways. If it somehow survived Shoulder Charge not 1hkoing (not counting Peregrine Greaves), a Storm Grenade nerf, Citans Nerf, a Knockout Nerf, Empty Shoulder Charge Nerf, Dunemarchers Nerf and so on, I have no idea what they'd have to do to gut it further.

With the shift to objective gamemodes for a lot of endgame PvP, I can also agree that you'll see a lot more titans in general.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

MJeff posted:

I'm saying I don't think it's a voice actor thing, I think they just don't ever wanna use Suraya again.

She shows up in a Lore book for the Beyond Light appearance/Black Armoury change. She is friends with Ada-1 now.

but like yeah you are more or less correct

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I do think there’s a need to pare down the appearing cast a little, just because there are so many supporting characters and only a handful can reasonably appear every season because of budgetary or logistical or time reasons.

so stuff like killing them off (like Holliday) or pointedly ignoring any character stuck where they are (like Hawthorne) or finding dialogue-free ways to bring them back (like Asher) makes a lot of sense.

not for nothing, but Joy Osmanski liked my tweet a couple years ago saying we missed Failsafe, so it’s not like she’s sworn the game off or anything—it’s probably a similar situation for Sumalee Montano, where the issue is just finding something meaningful for them to do and then getting them in the studio. I don’t know if Lennie James has recorded any new dialogue since the season where he sings Savathûn’s Song either!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MJeff posted:

Suraya: Extremely important character in season 1, hasn't had a single line or appearance in the six years since.

she got exactly one new line to replace the previous pinnacle/powerful drop speech involving "you took out ghaul" since players were constantly mocking it and complaining about it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

And it's very funny that they gave her a fairly important role in the mechanics of the game

Ehh.... 1 pinnacle and a couple of legendaries a week if your friends are active isn't that important. And the clan feature I don't think has been touched since year 1. It used to be neat to get raid and trials drops without having to actually play them, but they took that out pretty quick since it devalued those activities

The last change they made to her was changing the pinnacle to commendations instead of clan points

vvvvvvv Hard Light prototype looking good

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

omolon guns be like

https://i.imgur.com/bx5exOi.mp4

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I want to drink the strand juice.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

PERMACAV 50 posted:

also: where the gently caress is Shiro? He's probably the last remaining D1 loose end to tie up.

Shiro is still hanging out with whatever poor bastards are still playing D1

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

It used to be neat to get raid and trials drops without having to actually play them, but they took that out pretty quick since it devalued those activities

I used to love that feature, but all the turbo nerds complained that it devalued their "exclusivity and hard work". Of course, I barely raided back then. Looking back on it, from the perspective of someone who's raided enough to get a full set of raid exotics, I think the people that complained about it are even more pathetic. Giving cool loot to your clanmates is great! Nobody is impressed that you're holding a leviathan rocket launcher, or cares if you didn't earn it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the complainers had *a* point, if not necessarily *that* point. A source of endgame loot other than actually doing the difficult, time-consuming endgame activities probably weakened a lot of peoples' resolve to commit to those activities. Which is not something you want when trying to convince 3 internet friends to schedule a trials night, or 5 to schedule a raid night

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think it's okay to lock the most high end loot behind high end activities. Mainly because it's a cyclical thing. The content that really benefits from the "best" weapons is the content that rewards them.

An Adept Rufus is great but it probably isn't gonna make a massive difference in a standard Nightfall or some casual PvP. For completionist I can see that maybe being a pain, but I do actually think incentive to play the harder content is good and fine.

Adept weapons are a great system imo. If you wanna put the effort into flawless trials, or Master raids, cool and good to get that lil bonus I think.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The game right now has several raid secret chests that can be opened 3x a week with no encounter completions required, a Twitch bounty that gives you enough trials rep for a free engram at low levels, and gives enough pity exp on losses that solo queue players can get a few tacky golden guns through just participation. I don't think that trickle of free samples is making much of a difference.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

ponzicar posted:

The game right now has several raid secret chests that can be opened 3x a week with no encounter completions required, a Twitch bounty that gives you enough trials rep for a free engram at low levels, and gives enough pity exp on losses that solo queue players can get a few tacky golden guns through just participation. I don't think that trickle of free samples is making much of a difference.
DSC Chest: Must have completed at least one (1) encounter to get any of the items unlocked to come from the chest. Otherwise you get nothing.
Vow Chest: Same. Requires at least a small chunk of combat to be completed solo.
Last Wish Chest: Requires you to know how to platform/skate backwards from a checkpoint that you snag via the wishwall.

Twitch Bounty is Twitch Bounty, integration with Amazon and Twitch has always been really awkward and hamfisted, but it's to encourage people to stream or watch trials.
You still need to participate to get pity xp for loss engrams. Do poorly enough in Trials and a loss will not count at all, as it assumes you're full AFK.

None of the above are adept versions of the weapons, either, unless I missed something.

All of these things require a fair bit more effort than "be in a clan with people who do activities you don't like and sponge off of their completions via Hawthorne."

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

please use spoilers for the new dungeon exotic

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The Shuro Chi chest does not require skating, what are you talking about? The first jump might require some extra mobility mods and/or a jump exotic but besides that it’s extremely simple. At this point you’re complaining about having to play the game to get loot.

I farmed that thing for a solid year before the stupid bow dropped and I don’t even know HOW to sword skate

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Shuro Chi chest is super easy to get with just Stompees, Rampart or Heat Rises, yeah.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
he's talking about the other chest you can get from golgoroth

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
No one is farming the Morgeth chest except the absolute sweatiest of tryhards.

(If you know how to get to the dickwall chest after Golgoroth, poo poo, i’d be interested to hear it.)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

PERMACAV 50 posted:

No one is farming the Morgeth chest except the absolute sweatiest of tryhards.

(If you know how to get to the dickwall chest after Golgoroth, poo poo, i’d be interested to hear it.)

I mixed up the names

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

PERMACAV 50 posted:

The Shuro Chi chest does not require skating, what are you talking about? The first jump might require some extra mobility mods and/or a jump exotic but besides that it’s extremely simple. At this point you’re complaining about having to play the game to get loot.

I farmed that thing for a solid year before the stupid bow dropped and I don’t even know HOW to sword skate
Platforming or Skating, one of the two. Movement exotic, heat rises, strand, OOB if you don't own the raid, whatever. There's still a knowledge check and some gameplay required rather than "be in clan, talk to hawthorne by the end of the week"

An oversight for what is, currently, powercrept loot. It's from four and a half years ago and I don't think it equates to the free raid loot that Hawthorne was giving for year one of Destiny 2 for a clan completion of the raid (five and a half years ago, mind).

You can see how Bungie adjusted this over time to require at least one completion. Everything up to Crown, IIRC, gave you whatever from the chests. Garden of Salvation only dropped armor and was after encounter 1. Deep Stone only drops things you've found, and it's remained as such since.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think people overvalue the benefits of end game weapons. It's like an instrument. Yeah, if you're an expert the differences in performance will be noticeable and appreciable, but if you're an amateur or just a normal player then you probably won't see any real benefit.

People don't need a god roll Rufus over a crafted Perpetualis any more than the average guitar player needs a $5000 guitar over the nice one they already have.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

endgame weapons have better aesthetics, ergo the chase is worth

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kith posted:

Style and fashion is the real end game it's true.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kith posted:

except for RoN, which look like gun versions of the blob men from spy kids

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Still lol sometimes at the way they dedicated an entire season to making sure nobody would ever ask when factions are coming back again

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

syntaxfunction posted:

I think people overvalue the benefits of end game weapons. It's like an instrument. Yeah, if you're an expert the differences in performance will be noticeable and appreciable, but if you're an amateur or just a normal player then you probably won't see any real benefit.

People don't need a god roll Rufus over a crafted Perpetualis any more than the average guitar player needs a $5000 guitar over the nice one they already have.
Yes and no. Certain perk combinations make certain builds work better.

For this season, Rufus' Fury vs Perpetualis is an excellent example. If I have a swarmer build on a warlock, Rufus' can operate far better because it can set up with resource generating perks and hatchling at the same time, while perpetualis only gets the choice between damage, hatchling and demo in slot 4, with only reload and consistency perks in slot 3.

I've used both, I have a fully crafted and masterworked version of both, and I would rather have had a second fully crafted Rufus with a different perk selection than the Perpetualis. The reason being is that the swarmers made by the Rufus with resource generation perks will trigger those resource generation perks.

You can make just about anything "work", but it'll feel less effective than the real deal.

Immortal vs Synchronic Roulette is another example for this season, but it's even more absurd because Immortal's the better archetype, has the better stat package, and arguably better perks overall.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, that's pretty much my point. There's differences but they both work, so I think it's okay to put the other one behind harder achievements like raids.

Having Perp instead of Rufus isn't gonna break your build. If it does something is terribly wrong tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Depends what you mean by 'break' then, doesn't it.

If it results in substantially lower performance to the point you can argue whether it's 'working', then yeah. Fine, just take Red War grey weapons in, they 'work' right?