Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Twerk from Home posted:

if Biden dies before the election

how would we notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Hachi machi!

I do think we need clarification on it it counts if Biden dies before the election, then the ticket wins anyway.

if biden dies before the election i'll count it as a loss for the purposes of my toxx

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Raine posted:

how would we notice

a bunch of flailing Weekend at Berneys antics with increasingly implausible excuses for why there are multiple handlers holding the president upright as he shambles around?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

what if he resigns before the election?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

what if he resigns before the election?

how would he win if he resigned?

same thing. i'll count it as a loss

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

there is no loving way biden gets reelected

He'll get 51% of the vote in the next most free-est and fair-est elections ever.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

we've got a remarkably strong economy here

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

hey, its me!!! :monocle:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bluecoyote/status/1659306204026269699?t=7Wui7CDUNcp5RLEFIkk-IA&s=19

:jerkbag:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i miss vga ports when u had to screw the little screws in place and it was solidly secured, none of this "oh no the hdmi cable shifted 3 microns so now u got lines and static all over your screen" bullshit

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the days when "smart" phones didn't even exist so dumb retards who don't know the first thing about technology couldn't post their opinions online to begin with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

blatman posted:

i miss vga ports when u had to screw the little screws in place and it was solidly secured, none of this "oh no the hdmi cable shifted 3 microns so now u got lines and static all over your screen" bullshit

hdmi connectors are still leagues above the garbage fire called displayport and usb

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Palladium posted:

hdmi connectors are still leagues above the garbage fire called displayport and usb

gently caress that, DisplayPort "done right" clicks-in, unlike:

blatman posted:

"oh no the hdmi cable shifted 3 microns so now u got lines and static all over your screen" bullshit

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

they still exist jackass, there are all sorts of audio devices that are not phones you son of a BITCH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bank deposits continue to fall since no one trusts banks

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

SourKraut posted:

gently caress that, DisplayPort "done right" clicks-in, unlike:

The display port click is an optional thing not all cords have the locking mechanism

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Xaris posted:

Nobody wants to bank anymore

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

Everyone is withdrawing their money to buy trusted and stable financial instruments, such as SPY puts, OTC penny stocks, and bitcoin.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

corps colluding (explicitly or not), to make everything worse, is basically the theme of the past decade. we sailed by for a while on revolutionary tech but that’s played out and making things worse is the remaining key to profit growth

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

now obviously DisplayPort is also on this list, so you'd have to go back to DVI before you hit anything that's not el problema en es capitalismo, but there's a very good reason why we're only being fed HDMI these days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol dems are almost in agreement with GOP to raise debt ceiling in exchange for

Work requirements for entitlements: New SNAP and Medicaid work requirements. No Medicaid if you are unemployed
Cap Federal Spending to maximum 1%
Recoup all pandemic unspent budget
Reform and streamline infrastructure permitting rules
Cut IRA Clean Energy Incentives

nice. no social security cuts, gj biden! best potus ever

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The public is the "economy" you loving ghouls.

People are pissed off and sad because their material conditions loving suck and there's only so long you can pull this "b-b-b-b-but my data!" bullshit

It's literally just endless repeats of 2008-style gaslighting

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

It's literally just endless repeats of 2008-style gaslighting

quote:

Economy faces risks, not recession: Powell

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell told lawmakers on Thursday the U.S. economy did not appear headed for recession, but warned growth could prove weaker than expected and inflation higher.

“Our assessment is for slower growth, but positive growth, going into next year,” Powell said as he delivered a status report on the economy’s health to the congressional Joint Economic Committee.

The Fed chairman said the economy is likely to experience “noticeably” slower growth in the final three months of the year than the robust 3.9 percent annual rate of the third quarter, saying a housing slump looked set to intensify and consumer and business spending could slow.

However, he said the U.S. central bank expects the world’s largest economy to regain steam by the middle of next year as housing and financial markets stabilize.

At the same time, Powell said credit market strains have persisted since the Fed’s last meeting on October 30-31, when it followed up a half-percentage-point interest rate cut made in September with another quarter-point trim.

Recent sharp gains in oil prices have renewed upward pressure on inflation and may further crimp economic activity, he added.
SOFT LANDING. NO RECESSION

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dow soars
Economy humming

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dow soars
Economy humming

Number go sideways for an entire year

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
yeah i wanna wear headphones with a loving cord so i can get them tangled on something when i'm working

no thanks i'll keep enjoying my bluetooth headphones thanks

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Celexi posted:

The display port click is an optional thing not all cords have the locking mechanism

Yeah, and that's the shittiest thing. They should all have it.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Palladium posted:

hdmi connectors have a terrible physical design though I do hate it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

professional monitors all use bnc anyway

bnc is the bees knees

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

bnc when used to transmit SDI does have a very funny problem that if you connect the BNC cable before the device is connected to power it will fry the sdi port upon connecting to power because of a flaw in bnc

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 08:29 on May 21, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

yeah i wanna wear headphones with a loving cord so i can get them tangled on something when i'm working

no thanks i'll keep enjoying my bluetooth headphones thanks

i always thought the airpods were really stupid + lame but then i got one and i was like drat this is so much better wtf why did i object for so long

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:00 on May 21, 2023

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
airpods are convenient but the sound quality is noticeably worse even compared to wired earbuds. fine for stuff like podcasts and audiobooks but not for music imo

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

airpods are convenient but the sound quality is noticeably worse even compared to wired earbuds. fine for stuff like podcasts and audiobooks but not for music imo

Sure but if you're interacting with people in any way, or outside for any reason, or exercising in any way, or need to hear anything around you, or you're in an airport or similar environment- all of these things are amazing with airpod equivalents.

Then you factor in that literally 95% of all people don't care about sound quality (I do actually it's one of my major hobbies! But let's be real most people don't give a poo poo) wireless is a no brainer for them.

So where does that leave us?

If you really care about sound quality... don't mind having a wire getting in the way... you're alone and don't need to talk to anyone... willing to lug around audiophile grade headphones and the attendant cords...

Then fine. But I think that's like 0.1% of people.

e: even then, when I'm that isolated that I would easily enjoy wired headphones, I'm going to use speakers because they are imo objectively better than headphones. I own nice wired headphones and I can't even remember the time I last used them.

gradenko_2000 posted:

wireless devices need to be charged, is the thing

Really not an issue for most people. Any decent wireless headphone will last for a super long time between charge, and any decent wireless bud will have fast charge where you get like an hour of listening if you stick them in the little case for 5 minutes.

That being said if you're for example traveling to a place without reliable charging (not that many places in the world like that, but they exist) at least having a backup pair of wired buds can be a smart call. I keep some wired buds in my travel backpack for this reason, but I can't remember ever using them.

A few years ago I stayed in the Corcovado rainforest in an incredibly lovely, completely open air bungalo because I couldn't afford anything better at the time. It sucked rear end and I don't recommend it, but even there we had easy access to charging.

Taima has issued a correction as of 10:18 on May 21, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wireless devices need to be charged, is the thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I am still irate I can't get clip ons in stores, I can't stand buds shoved into my ears

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am okay with wireless earbuds, I honestly just prefer to buy cheaper non-name brand ones so if they got lost it isn't really that different than just losing a higher end wired set. They are okay.

I still wish phones had a headphone jack just to give me the option and it honestly saves them such a minor amount of space and cost.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

quote:

The interesting question now is why, at least according to some surveys, the public remains very negative on the economy — as negative as it has been in the past amid severe economic downturns — even though those recession calls were clearly a false alarm, and the economy is actually looking remarkably strong. Or maybe the question should be why people say that they’re very negative on the economy.

This is a touchy subject, albeit one I’ve commented on before. You don’t want to say that Americans are stupid; you certainly don’t want to sound like that John McCain adviser who insisted that America was a “nation of whiners” who were experiencing only a “mental recession.”

On the other hand, there are now huge gaps between what people say about the economy and both what the data says and what they say about their own experience. And we have some new information on what lies behind these gaps.

The American public is full of stupid whiners, got it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a work requirement for Medicaid would be horrifically barbaric

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
a mental recession lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

a work requirement for Medicaid would be horrifically barbaric

It may be the response would be to allow more privatization of Medicaid than to put a flat work requirement on it since hospitals and providers need to be reimbursed. Also, putting a work requirement on Obamacare is going to be mean less money flowing into insurance companies.

TANF is already workfare, ETIC is based on w-2 earnings, and the only thing really left is food stamps.