Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think its fine to spend 10% of your bike cost on locks. Don't park your bike outside overnight though.

Yeah I bought a Hiplok D-1000 and insured my bike and don't really have any anxiety about taking it out around town but I still won't leave it out overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Huggybear posted:

Any hub motor with a torque sensor will probably "feel" better than any mid drive with just a cadence sensor, as torque sensors are a more accurate reflection of assist levels, and that can also be subjective. Cadence alone is noticeably less expensive. [...]

[...] The M620 has both cadence and torque sensor and it absolutely leaves any hub motor in the dust. Hub motors will also shut off when they are about to overheat; mid drives do not overheat. Mid drives are typically more powerful and serviceable. Hub drive motors have all kinds of servicing issues, not the least of which is simply accessibility.

So these are definitely the lines I am thinking about when I'm looking around for stuff to buy, but I've been looking at bafang's M620 ultra, which definitely does list a torque sensor, but doesn't seem to come in bottom bracket kit form, and bafang's M625, which when in bottom bracket form, seems to only have a cadence sensor.

I am loathe to buy from some tiny company that is going to go belly up who-knows-when, which seems to suggest I should buy either from an integrator doing standardized stuff or from a large company with long memory. The DIY option with torque sensing mid-drive seems to be Tongshen, do you have opinions on their stuff? Alternatively is there a bafang kit I'm missing that does do torque-sensing in mid-drive form?

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
The CYC Photon is torque sensing. Fairly new, might have some quirks.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have definitely read a lot of reports about the TSDZ2 crapping out quickly so I would avoid it.

I'm not aware of any other mid drive motors with torque sensors in the DIY realm, they all require frames to be built around the motor. But I haven't looked in a while so there might be something new!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've tried both hub and mid-drive motors. I think mid-drive ones pretty universally use torque sensors these days so you're hard pressed to get the worse experience with a cadence sensor there. A hub motor + torque is really quite close to mid-drive in feel. It has the added benefit of also allowing the use of a throttle which mid-drives can't do.

Mid-drives do have the benefit of getting to use the gearing of the bike to even out the torque requirements, so I'd imagine wear on the motor and frame will probably be less over time.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Some higher end rear hub bikes have both cadence and torque sensors. Of the top of my head Juiced CCX, Ride1up Limited. Both fast class 3 commuter bikes. I don't understand why Bafang doesn't offer torque censors on all their middrive kits. Is it that hard to implement?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Some higher end rear hub bikes have both cadence and torque sensors. Of the top of my head Juiced CCX, Ride1up Limited. Both fast class 3 commuter bikes. I don't understand why Bafang doesn't offer torque censors on all their middrive kits. Is it that hard to implement?
Probably difficult to shove a load cell, torque anchor setup and the wiring inside a BB shell, on top of having to be the mounting interface for the actual motor.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
The form factor between the M620, which has one, and the M625, which doesn't, is almost identical. They are probably trying to avoid scavenging sales from their premium stuff by releasing it that way.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Nitrousoxide posted:

It has the added benefit of also allowing the use of a throttle which mid-drives can't do.

Am I misunderstanding your point here, because mid-drives can definitely have throttles too.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

acidx posted:

Am I misunderstanding your point here, because mid-drives can definitely have throttles too.

The big companies like Bosch, Brose, Shimano, etc don't allow throttles on their motors.

mystes
May 31, 2006

halokiller posted:

The big companies like Bosch, Brose, Shimano, etc don't allow throttles on their motors.
What seriously?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The only middrive with throttle model I know is the Lectric Xpremium. It's a weird under sized, dual small battery, folding wired thing.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

halokiller posted:

That is ridiculous lol. Class 1 ebikes can't have throttles, but at least give people the option.

stephenthinkpad posted:

The only middrive with throttle model I know is the Lectric Xpremium. It's a weird under sized, dual small battery, folding wired thing.

I don't know much about the premade ebike market, but I know there's quite a few built around Bafang motors, and those will take a throttle.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

acidx posted:

I don't know much about the premade ebike market, but I know there's quite a few built around Bafang motors, and those will take a throttle.

Bafang DIY kits most come with cadence sensor, not torque sensor. I know there are bafang with torque sensor. But most popular kits are not. So I kind of put DIY Bafang, open standard kits in their own class. Most people don't cross shop between a DIY kit and a turnkey ebike. You either have time/space/interest to do the former, or you want to place an order online and get a commuting ready ebike in a box 3 days later.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

acidx posted:

That is ridiculous lol. Class 1 ebikes can't have throttles, but at least give people the option.

Is it just the safety issue of not being able to stop assisting fast enough and mangling the back of someone's leg if they stop pedaling suddenly?

I know my Bafang middrive could freewheel by spinning the chainring forward independent of the crank position, but Bosch doesn't work that way. And maybe not Shimano, etc.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Bafang DIY kits most come with cadence sensor, not torque sensor. I know there are bafang with torque sensor. But most popular kits are not. So I kind of put DIY Bafang, open standard kits in their own class. Most people don't cross shop between a DIY kit and a turnkey ebike. You either have time/space/interest to do the former, or you want to place an order online and get a commuting ready ebike in a box 3 days later.

There's production model ebikes that use Bafang motors, but they come at a premium. I would suspect they don't sell anywhere near as well as the smaller hub motor bikes. They are only really useful to people who want extra power. Or a throttle, evidently.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

acidx posted:

I dunno how you'd do that without the ability to freewheel the pedals forward, so they aren't swinging around wildly while under throttle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I dunno how you'd do that without the ability to freewheel the pedals forward, so they aren't swinging around wildly while under throttle.

Right, but freewheel the pedals _backward_ relative to the drive force coming from the applied throttle, right?
IOW, you can pedal at a lower RPM than the motor drives (and add 0 torque), but you if you try to pedal faster than the motor, you engage and drive together with the motor.

Bafang can definitely do that kind of freewheeling.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I have regular bike experience but I don’t know anything about e-bikes. Can I get a reasonably decent, reliable e-bike exclusively for urban riding and commuting for under a grand?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Your options really begin to open up around $1,300 bucks.

Capped
Jun 21, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I have regular bike experience but I don’t know anything about e-bikes. Can I get a reasonably decent, reliable e-bike exclusively for urban riding and commuting for under a grand?

I grabbed an Aventon fixed gear for $999 over Christmas and I love it considerably more than several Rad and Lectric models my friends have at 1500+

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
This segmented battery pack for air travel from Grin seems great, but it's totally unclear when it'll actually be available. Do y'all know if there's any other alternatives out there that offer something similar?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hello friends, my previous e-bikes included a Faraday Porteur (sold) and a Trek Crossrip+ (stolen).

I’m thinking of buying a cargo bike to take my kid to school and then go on to work. About 20 miles / 2000 ft round trip.

I tried the Term Quickhaul P9 Performance before but noticed on a flat test ride how quickly the battery drained at higher boost with my kid onboard - we had to keep it in touring mode and around 15 mph. It didn’t feel like it had a tremendous advantage over pulling him on his tagalong on my normal road bike.

I saw that Specialized just launched a cargo e-bike (hub instead of middrive) - has anyone had experience with that? Is there any reason besides cost why they’d go for a hub motor?

I’m wondering if y’all have found a class 3 cargo bike that you can really get up to speed that holds its charge. Unfortunately my kid is now too big for a Yepp seat.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Whats the distance between your home and school?

IMO if you have 1 kid, there isn't much difference between hauling the kid in a cargo bike vs a regular 26+ ebike.

You can get premade running boards and monkey bar for cargo bike obviously.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

IMO if you have 1 kid, there isn't much difference between hauling the kid in a cargo bike vs a regular 26+ ebike.

I had a Tern Cargo Node before, and switched to a Quick Haul. The range anxiety definitely played into my perception of available power. I went from the stock 400 battery to two 500 batteries (obviously at great added cost), and now I don’t worry about range at all.
The Quick Haul gets up past 20mph way quicker than I could on the Cargo Node, and can still hit 28 with the kid on board, though I never feel safe at those speeds in traffic.

If you bought and extra battery and left an extra charger at work, you could use up one battery each way.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 21, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

blk posted:

Hello friends, my previous e-bikes included a Faraday Porteur (sold) and a Trek Crossrip+ (stolen).

I’m thinking of buying a cargo bike to take my kid to school and then go on to work. About 20 miles / 2000 ft round trip.

I tried the Term Quickhaul P9 Performance before but noticed on a flat test ride how quickly the battery drained at higher boost with my kid onboard - we had to keep it in touring mode and around 15 mph. It didn’t feel like it had a tremendous advantage over pulling him on his tagalong on my normal road bike.

I saw that Specialized just launched a cargo e-bike (hub instead of middrive) - has anyone had experience with that? Is there any reason besides cost why they’d go for a hub motor?

I’m wondering if y’all have found a class 3 cargo bike that you can really get up to speed that holds its charge. Unfortunately my kid is now too big for a Yepp seat.

Sounds like you need a bike with a double battery option.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Sounds like you need a bike with a double battery option.

or a removable battery that you can charge at your work for the return trip.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Gripweed posted:

Not really. Only one I'd say you could get reliable support is REI's Co-op line and only because their cheapest ebike is currently on sale (at just over a grand)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Look if you can charge at work, and the 1 way distance is 10 mile. then you can pretty much do it with any 36v, 48v ebike. My first ebike has a 36v 10.x AH battery, so a very moderate 400 watt hour battery. You can totally carry a kid to school and then commute to work. This answer both to the parent goon and the goon who wanted to spend 1k for a bike.

I had a gopeak child bucket on my old bike for a couple years. It's a great hauling basket and I used it to carry kid during weekends. It takes 2 minutes to remove it and I didn't bother. When my kid got over 35 pounds, I switched to an Amazon $30 rear rack seat.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I charge at work regardless of which of the two e-bikes I'm riding. The light commuter has plenty of range to do the 24 miles total with juice to spare, but I like to baby my batteries and keep cell voltage at the least detrimental range I can manage, so I keep a charger where I'm fortunate enough to park it indoors. The cargobike is a homebuilt hack job that's too clumsy to bring inside on the regular, but I've built chargers into both battery boxes for it (these also have a strap so I can sling them over my shoulder like a bag) so I just bring that inside and charge it, also keeping it warm in the winter. On the better battery of the two I have the range to get to work and back at full boost, but that requires going from fully charged to nearly empty. Better to charge at work and be kind to the packs, they seem to lasts at least thrice as long since I started babying them this way. The cargobike packs are pretty substantial, but I forget what Ah rating they have since I haven't bought a new one in so long, but as I recall it was just under a kWh so that should work out at 24-25Ah at 36V maybe? The bike is heavy and has bad aero and is pretty inefficient for a bicycle I guess, but the recent rebuild shaved a bunch of weight and air resistance from the lighter/sleeker composite box I built for it, and this seems to have improved power draw a bit.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Whelp I just upgraded from the RadCity 5 plus to an R&M Nevo4. After spending that kind of money I can safely say I'm hooked

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Nevo has maybe one of the most inspired product pics

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I know my Bafang middrive could freewheel by spinning the chainring forward independent of the crank position, but Bosch doesn't work that way. And maybe not Shimano, etc.
Bosch and Shimano will give you 0 assist if you don't put actual weight on the pedals.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The Nevo has maybe one of the most inspired product pics

That looks SO heavy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Bosch and Shimano will give you 0 assist if you don't put actual weight on the pedals.

Right, that's in a strictly pedelec mode, right?
Wouldn't it be trickier to set up the sensor if you built them as hypothetical throttle-controlled mid-drive?
Motor is giong full blast, human suddenly stops pedaling, sensor has to notice and react within maybe 10deg that the human-applied crank torque has gone netural or negative.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

That looks SO heavy.

It's only 64 lbs which is the same weight as the rad city. It just looks heavier but the weight is much better distributed and is easier to lift onto a rack.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Saw this baby at work today.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Just under 450 miles on my e-bike and I finally got my first puncture. And hoo boy is it a doozy!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

ouch!!

I had a puncture like that on my motorcycle once, the sharp tip of the nail was in the same place almost, and it damaged the bead of the (new, $200) tire bad enough that I had to throw the tire away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Radracer has served me well but I am, knock wood, getting a significant pay raise at work and I thought I might move to a new model, as Mr. Radracer is a little creaky and was purchased long enough ago that I doubt it represents the state of the art.

This caught my eye, does anyone have practical experience? https://www.mokwheel.com/products/basalt

The 400 pound cargo capacity really caught my eye, going to admit