Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Is there anyone that makes a wireless mouse with device switching other than Logitech? My MX Master's clicks are starting to get kind of weird and I don't want to buy anything from Logitech ever again after having a 6 month fiasco with their support trying to get a warranty replacement for my G502.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've got a Steelseries wireless mouse that can switch between Bluetooth and the wireless USB dongle. Works pretty fine for me. Was stupid and lost the dongle so at least I can use it as a Bluetooth mouse still, thankfully.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What is the best Bluetooth mouse I can get today?

MacOS
Want to not use a dingle dongle
I'm doing everyday office work - no games (other than civ2 in a vm of course)

I really enjoy the ergonomic mouse that came with my MS Sculpt but that one is a dongler.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

ok goons i finally did it. i bought a 100 dollar mouse, a logitech mx master 3s. so far it's been really nice, the click feels a touch unsatisfying and soft but the convenience of having a thumbwheel for horizontal scrolling in something like ableton live honestly makes up for it tenfold especially after years of using little lovely USB two-button mice lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nvrgrls posted:

What is the best Bluetooth mouse I can get today?

MacOS
Want to not use a dingle dongle
I'm doing everyday office work - no games (other than civ2 in a vm of course)

I really enjoy the ergonomic mouse that came with my MS Sculpt but that one is a dongler.

The Logitech MX Master 3 or 3s is big but nice to use. I've got the MX Master, my old man has a 2, and I gave a friend the 2s and everyone's been pretty happy with them. Logitech has a lot of office mice that can support three devices that are dongle or bluetooth so maybe take a look at some of their other offerings if you think the MX Master might not fit your hand:

Logitech MX Master 3S
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX-Master-3S-Graphite/dp/B09HM94VDS

Logitech MX Anywhere 3 Compact Performance
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089NJQR5T

Logitech M720 Triathlon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087Z6LSHW

Probably would be a departure from the form factor but they also have a vertical one with the same multiple device support:
Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Mouse
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNJB8TT

It's not the same as putting your hand on it but rtings has a 3d shape comparison tool with a lot of mice in it:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare/microsoft-sculpt-ergonomic-mouse-vs.-logitech-mx-master-3s

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thank you!

Edit: ordered the logitech vertical

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 3, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I've been using a right-handed mouse (similar to the Logitech Ergo M575, but I don't know the exact model) as my at-home mouse forever, and as my work-from-home mouse for the last three years. To try to help my repetitive stress issues, I’m trying to mouse with my left hand. I have a regular basic cheapie mouse that I'm using for now.

It is giving me serious trouble.

I had to remap the primary button, which is fine, but it turns out that most of what I do is muscle memory. For instance, I have no idea how to select multiple emails in Outlook. I had to look it up, and it’s still really hard to actually execute the action. Plus, it has affected my ability to type. Moving my hand onto the keyboard from the left somehow confuses my touch-typing schema. I use the home-row F/J finger nubbins to orient myself, but it somehow doesn't work anymore.

How can I make the transition to off-handed mouse use actually work? Because this is proving problematic.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I've been using a right-handed mouse (similar to the Logitech Ergo M575, but I don't know the exact model) as my at-home mouse forever, and as my work-from-home mouse for the last three years. To try to help my repetitive stress issues, I’m trying to mouse with my left hand. I have a regular basic cheapie mouse that I'm using for now.

It is giving me serious trouble.

I had to remap the primary button, which is fine, but it turns out that most of what I do is muscle memory. For instance, I have no idea how to select multiple emails in Outlook. I had to look it up, and it’s still really hard to actually execute the action. Plus, it has affected my ability to type. Moving my hand onto the keyboard from the left somehow confuses my touch-typing schema. I use the home-row F/J finger nubbins to orient myself, but it somehow doesn't work anymore.

How can I make the transition to off-handed mouse use actually work? Because this is proving problematic.

I don't have advice for a mouse, but may I suggest a touchpad?

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

nvrgrls posted:

I don't have advice for a mouse, but may I suggest a touchpad?

You may indeed! I'm open to trying any type of cursor-moving device.

My main issue, really, is re-training myself to Do All The Things. For instance, with a right-hand mouse, I can cntrl-click with my left pinky. With a left-hand mouse, I would need to use my right pinky.... and that finger has no idea where the cntrl key is. I've also forgotten what the keystroke-click combinations are for various tasks - I just know how it should feel to do it.

I'm guessing the simple answer is to just do it until I get used to it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm a lefty, I use right handed mouse, but when I'm on the laptop with a touchpad I prefer left hand. It doesn't matter what hand I use because it's one finger to click, two fingers to right click.

Apple Magic Trackpad is $129 which is absolutely ridiculous but it's the only one I've used so I can't recommend something more reasonably priced.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not even sure anybody else bothers to make them. I had a Logitech T650 once and returned it within a day because it was nowhere near as nice to use as the Apple one.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Hungry Squirrel posted:

You may indeed! I'm open to trying any type of cursor-moving device.

My main issue, really, is re-training myself to Do All The Things. For instance, with a right-hand mouse, I can cntrl-click with my left pinky. With a left-hand mouse, I would need to use my right pinky.... and that finger has no idea where the cntrl key is. I've also forgotten what the keystroke-click combinations are for various tasks - I just know how it should feel to do it.

I'm guessing the simple answer is to just do it until I get used to it.
Did you read the trackball discussion on the previous page?

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I did, but my question is really targeted more toward how I can most efficiently retrain my muscle memory as applicable to computer use.

If you're implying that one of the trackballs discussed would make it easier to, for example, teach my right-hand-pinky where the shift key is while also retraining my brain to use that key for things, I'm down for that. But, I didn't see that mentioned on the prior page (or anywhere in the forums, which is why I'm here).

If you're trying to convey that using a trackball on my right hand would solve all my problems, then that's a cool theory, but it's not supported by the parade of mice, trackballs, and touchpads that I've tried over the years.

If my question was answered and I missed it, I apologize, and ask that you quote the relevant post so that I'm sure I don't miss it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm not sure if there's a really good way to train yourself other than doing it. I've found that if I'm really interested in something to the point of obsession I'll be more likely to get time in on it and my brain will figure it out more quickly. Therefore gaming or chatting on IRC were how I picked up a lot of my current mouse and keyboard habits which aren't objectively correct home row typing but I do fine at 100+ wpm or whatever in general. It's not very good general advice but I suspect it's just one of those things that you learn by doing and training your brain to learn something that becomes second nature is going to be a bit different for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwM2kMKgtdU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Hungry Squirrel posted:

If my question was answered and I missed it, I apologize, and ask that you quote the relevant post so that I'm sure I don't miss it.

Sorry, I wasn't being snarky - sometimes people just jump on the last page of a megathread and miss something that was talked about on the previous page.
I swear there was one of the giant trackballs that was fairly ambidextrous so you could at least swap hands easily.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Not sure if this is the place to ask about mousepads, I’m looking for one to clamp on the edge of a desk. Every one I’ve seen has wildly varied reviews, I’d prefer simple and sturdy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Clamp?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't bother clamping a mousepad, if you want something to stay in place then buy a mousepad that you like and spray mount adhesive it to your desk, when it's worn out it will peel off and you clean the surface off before going again.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Probably would be a departure from the form factor but they also have a vertical one with the same multiple device support:
Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Mouse

Trip report: love it so far. Haven't done the multi device thing yet.

I like that I can use it corded, with the dongle receiver, or USB. Also that it's rechargeable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nvrgrls posted:

Trip report: love it so far. Haven't done the multi device thing yet.

I like that I can use it corded, with the dongle receiver, or USB. Also that it's rechargeable.

Glad it's working out! I don't try to be a logitech fanboy but have somehow ended up as one since I haven't had too much trouble with their mice. I'm not sure anyone else is making a diverse selection of bluetooth stuff for the office that has as many features.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I will say the thumb buttons are a little awkward to press but that's fine because it means I don't press them accidentally.

Using them to switch between desktops

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Since it's been over a year, I figured I'd check back in and say that the Roccat Kone XP I got last March is still holding up great as my daily driver--no weird wear & tear issues, no bugs, no particularly frustrating gripes over the last year. Definitely haven't gotten any reasons to regret the purchase.

You don't have the scroll wheel problem? My Kone had it, so I RMA'd, and then the new one developed the same problem. Supposedly you have to open it up and spray contact cleaner on the wheel sensor but thats a lot of effort so I kinda just want to get a new mouse now

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VostokProgram posted:

You don't have the scroll wheel problem? My Kone had it, so I RMA'd, and then the new one developed the same problem. Supposedly you have to open it up and spray contact cleaner on the wheel sensor but thats a lot of effort so I kinda just want to get a new mouse now

A lot of effort? I've soldered on new microswitches in mice (twice on a Roccat Kone pure), I'd consider that a little effort. Spraying contact cleaner doesn't seem like a lot of work

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 10, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

VostokProgram posted:

Actually, no I haven't! Although I wonder if that's because I periodically blast the thing out with compressed air (just out of habit, not for any particular reason on this mouse).

EDIT: And by "blast the thing out" I just mean hitting all of the nooks and crannies with compressed air--I don't actually take anything apart.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

A lot of effort? I've soldered on new microswitches in mice (twice on a Roccat Kone pure), I'd consider that a little effort. Spraying contact cleaner doesn't seem like a lot of work

The part that screams :effort: is removing the mouse feet with a heat source and then carefully putting them back on without ruining the adhesive. And I don't even own a hair dryer!

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I've replaced the switches for my G9x twice now (left click stopped working years ago, and right click started being wonky last week - I replaced both switches this time around to keep 'em in sync in terms of age), and since the kit I got years back had a new scroll wheel, I replaced that too (I'll just clean and keep the old one in case). I managed to break the zif connector for the top half of the mouse, but only in that the top part of the clip is no longer locked into the bottom. Friction keeps the ribbon cable in place, and I stuck some electrical tape over the connector to add a bit more support to keeping it in (though once it was put back together entirely, I don't know how the connector would really come loose short of me dropping it on the floor).

I mostly use a G403 now because I found I was cramping my fingers on the G9x, but I can't let the little bastard go. The weird rubber coating got sticky years ago and went for an isopropyl bath to get stripped off, but beyond that and the switches needing to be replaced for a couple of cents and like 20 minutes of disassembly/desoldering/soldering work every 7 years or so, it's been a really good mouse. People apparently have issues with the USB cable, but mine has been fine this whole time. I wouldn't spend the $$$$ it commands now, but I got it on clearance for $40 back when that was a thing, and I feel obligated to keep it alive even if it's generally relegated to "the other computer" use now.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Baby Proof posted:

Sorry, I wasn't being snarky - sometimes people just jump on the last page of a megathread and miss something that was talked about on the previous page.
I swear there was one of the giant trackballs that was fairly ambidextrous so you could at least swap hands easily.

I shouldn't have gotten snippy, either. I've just been asking around other groups and forums for how to improve my ergonomics, and how to acclimate to using my off-hand, and if using different mice helps that transition, and people just keep telling me to keep my right hand and use a trackball / touchpad / fancy whatever that they're in love with. But, I've made up my mind that I'm going lefty, and I don't want to be talked out of it, I just want guidance, and I'm getting really frustrated.

Anyway, I was a crankypants when I came in, and I shouldn't have offloaded on you.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So I ordered a G502 X and got a broken one. The left button sends both left and right click signals to the host. Can't even say its a driver bug because it does that on Linux too. Here's hoping that the one I exchange it for will work, and that this isn't the start of me turning into the forum's official always-buys-defective-mice guy.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Sad to say the crapple mouse is junk thats too thin and I can barely grasp it.

Copped the Logitech G502 Lightspeed and it should arrive tomorrow. If its crap back it goes.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Update it came uncharged and uses a mini usb to charge. And it connects to Bluetooth with a stupid USB nubbin. Thought we were done with those

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Update it came uncharged and uses a mini usb to charge. And it connects to Bluetooth with a stupid USB nubbin. Thought we were done with those

Does it have bluetooth too? My lift allows me to switch between 3 machines, bluetooth or receiver. Receiver is always better, as it doesn't need bluetooth to be initialised

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Does it have bluetooth too? My lift allows me to switch between 3 machines, bluetooth or receiver. Receiver is always better, as it doesn't need bluetooth to be initialised

I’m not sure as the documentation it came with is junk. I will have to wait for it to charge to see what’s up.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
It seems you have to use the USB nubbin as it isn't being discovered on bluetooth. Good feel so far.... Looking for how to program the buttons

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I’m not sure as the documentation it came with is junk. I will have to wait for it to charge to see what’s up.
I'm pretty sure the Lightspeed devices have to use the USB dongle. I got the G502X Lightspeed and while it uses USB-C to charge, it requires the dongle, which I'm fine with. Bluetooth has more latency anyway.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I downloaded the logitech control app and it won't find the mouse dongle, presumebly because I have to connect through a USB hub :rolleyes:. Not the vibe. I tried restarting. Might have to bring this mouse to use at work and keep the crapple mouse for home use. Or return it. Ridiculous.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
It knows the mouse is there because I'm moving around the cursor with the mouse but the Logitech Control wont let me see it so I can't customize the buttons

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
well for thread reference it seems the Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse is not meaningfully compatible with mac.

Might have to cop a corsair mouse because iCUE seems to work. Anyone have a line on a decent mac compatible mouse with lots of customizable buttons?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MuadDib Atreides posted:

It uses a proprietary wireless protocol because Bluetooth is terrible for latency, and this is supposed to be a low-latency gaming mouse.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It uses a proprietary wireless protocol because Bluetooth is terrible for latency, and this is supposed to be a low-latency gaming mouse.

Looks that I will have to read the fine print more carefully before my next cop. Definitely will need bluetooth enabled. Anyone have a line on a bluetooth gaming mouse with lots of buttons that works with mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MuadDib Atreides posted:

well for thread reference it seems the Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse is not meaningfully compatible with mac.

Might have to cop a corsair mouse because iCUE seems to work. Anyone have a line on a decent mac compatible mouse with lots of customizable buttons?

The gaming mice use G HUB instead of logitech control. It's got a mac version:
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/innovation/g-hub.html

Obligatory "Macs have games now?"