Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lid posted:

Road Wild is the most WCW thing in that it was a yearly reminder that they gave away a free ppv to racist neo Nazism that drew no buys and was just to bill going to Sturgus as a work expense.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I was watching one of the Road Wild events the other day, the DDP/Jay Leno one, and yeah all the commentators have hilarious outfits and no one actually liked working the shows. The outdoor ring surrounded by bikers was a hell of a visual, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The New Breed is so stupid. I love them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Back on the mid 2000s there was a compilation of the best wcw matches ever and the one that always stuck out was 96/97 whichever of Dean Malenko v Chris Benoit at Road Wild

And watching it it's a technical masterpiece of two of the absolute best

And these rednecks could not have given any lesson a poo poo to the point the match was seriously agonising to watch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I said, "Hey Japanese cab driver!"
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1660131606126796800?t=deFgGCxtfF9CHoc3PJVuNA&s=19

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Lid posted:

Road Wild is the most WCW thing in that it was a yearly reminder that they gave away a free ppv to racist neo Nazism that drew no buys and was just to bill going to Sturgus as a work expense.

Yeah I wonder how much it cost to set up that ring and fly in all the talent and crew and everything to the middle of nowhere for a literal $0 gate. Although if Sturgis actually paid for everything that makes it even funnier.

edit: I also just remembered that time Hall and Nash were on some MTV spring break show and they ended up going into the crowd to go after some douchebag who was throwing stuff because security wouldn't lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 21, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lid posted:

Yes but on the other hand have you considered that Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff are bad-rear end bikers, and not at all sad middle aged dads doing a biker LARP no matter what jealous guys on the Internet claim?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes but on the other hand have you considered that Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff are bad-rear end bikers, and not at all sad middle aged dads doing a biker LARP no matter what jealous guys on the Internet claim?

I really wish Vince had agreed to fight Eric Bischoff and then right before the bout started, a giant industrial air conditioner falls from the ceiling into the ring and crushes them both.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm trying to imagine the smell of leather, fumes and cheap beer among God knows what else baking under the sun.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I'm trying to imagine the smell of leather, fumes and cheap beer among God knows what else baking under the sun.

Listen when you've been smoking meth out of a light bulb for the last 2 weeks, smells are the least of your worries.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t want a john wick villain to start calling john wick “keanu” or ask him why he isn’t following the script or any other fourth wall breaking stuff, i just want them to get on with the action so i can hoot and holler at it. wrestling is same deal.

If John wick was wrestling though there’d be poo poo like between 3 and 4 Jason mantzoukas starts loving Keanu’s wife irl. In that context it’d be rad if halfway through John wick 4 him and tick tock man just get into a full on hockey fight screaming their real names at each other that somehow gets left in the edit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

haljordan posted:

I really wish Vince had agreed to fight Eric Bischoff and then right before the bout started, a giant industrial air conditioner falls from the ceiling into the ring and crushes them both.

Speaking of this I've always wondered if Bischoff had something grander planned for "I have a surprise this Sunday and Vince can't do anything about it" or if he really thought turning Goldberg heel was going to be a game changing idea

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of this I've always wondered if Bischoff had something grander planned for "I have a surprise this Sunday and Vince can't do anything about it" or if he really thought turning Goldberg heel was going to be a game changing idea

I'm gonna say the answer to this question is always "Hell no."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Turning a big dials that says "nWo" and looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the Price Is Right.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

TheKingslayer posted:

Turning a big dials that says "swerve" and looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the Price Is Right.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He thought he had A Name ready to sign, I don't remember who.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

oops

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 21, 2023

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So how did that original Japanese inspiration for the NWO actually end? Did it have a proper satisfying conclusion or did it fizzle out like the NWO?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

iamsosmrt posted:

So how did that original Japanese inspiration for the NWO actually end? Did it have a proper satisfying conclusion or did it fizzle out like the NWO?

It ended up with the creation of PRIDE, I guess.

It ended with a decisive New Japan win. They had Mutoh beat Takada in the first match which kind of limited what they could do with it, then Takada won the rematch and Hashimoto won the third big main event. They could have done more but New Japan wanted to make sure their guys got the first decisive win. I can understand that because how can you be sure you can trust Takada and they had him up against the ropes with UWFi's downfall.

But from there Takada went on to start PRIDE so he could pretend to be a real fighter some more.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan came out on top and the other companies went out of business cause Inomi always gonna win

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Appreciating the WCW book chat. I was interested in grabbing one recently and settled on Nitro being the one I would eventually grab. I heard Death of WCW was just extremely cynical and negative and that really turned me off. I also remember reading that it’s very rumor based and iffy on facts but that’s just sort of the nature of writing about such a chaotic industry. Is it really the better one?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I mean, you’ve heard about WCW right?

Not sure how you’d write anything other than cynical and negative about an absolute omnishambles of a promotion.

Nitro whitewashes the whole thing to make Bischoff look like he’s not one of the biggest morons in the history of the industry, which is why it’s more positive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I mean, you’ve heard about WCW right?

Not sure how you’d write anything other than cynical and negative about an absolute omnishambles of a promotion.

Nitro whitewashes the whole thing to make Bischoff look like he’s not one of the biggest morons in the history of the industry, which is why it’s more positive.

And it comes to the conclusion that Vince Russo's booking wasn't racist by quoting noted idiot/racist Ben Miller.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Da fuq?

I mean 20 yr old shithead me thought bad English dubs of lucha promos was a phenomenal idea because someone (psychosis?) got to call La Parka Skull daddy on air. But even then I knew it was racist af, it has aged horribly since then.

Anyone trying to hand wave it away or claim it wasn’t racist has some pretty huge blinders on.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
vince russo appears to have issues with people of different races and cultures and women even by the standards of pro wrestling

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Appreciating the WCW book chat. I was interested in grabbing one recently and settled on Nitro being the one I would eventually grab. I heard Death of WCW was just extremely cynical and negative and that really turned me off. I also remember reading that it’s very rumor based and iffy on facts but that’s just sort of the nature of writing about such a chaotic industry. Is it really the better one?

Nah Death of WCW is the more honest book. "Nitro" suffers because they allow Bischoff and Vince Russo to talk at great length about how awesome they are and how everyone else is a moron for not going along with their booking decisions.

I mean at one point in "Nitro" Bischoff is asked point blank if he regrets anything and his entire response has to do with not politicking the AOL/Time Warner merger better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

haljordan posted:

Nah Death of WCW is the more honest book. "Nitro" suffers because they allow Bischoff and Vince Russo to talk at great length about how awesome they are and how everyone else is a moron for not going along with their booking decisions.

I mean at one point in "Nitro" Bischoff is asked point blank if he regrets anything and his entire response has to do with not politicking the AOL/Time Warner merger better.

The chapter about DDP is one of the most "how do you know this happened" things I've ever read.

Also tomorrow night I'm going to run THE MAKING OF WCW SLAM JAM at 8 PM so if anyone has missed WCW content, it's back.

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The chapter about DDP is one of the most "how do you know this happened" things I've ever read.

Also tomorrow night I'm going to run THE MAKING OF WCW SLAM JAM at 8 PM so if anyone has missed WCW content, it's back.

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Noice, I'm gonna get down on that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've been reading The Bunker and it's funny to watch the author, an American WW2 veteran who was involved in comms and familiar with the propaganda effort of the war get completely snowed over by the Nazis he interviews. He becomes friends with Speer and reports details of a Speer assassination attempt on Hitler that is unsupported by other evidence and gets offended in the text when Hitler is rude to Speer after Speer is such a nice guy who visits Hitler in the bunker.

You can see the exact same thing happen in Nitro. Guy Evans includes things that clearly only one person was present for and could not be expected to remember the details of, but doesn't blink at using them. He is obviously enamored with several people he interviews and takes it all at face value. The only difference is he gets worked by mere carnies and not Nazis, but then again you can't be too sure with Eric Bischoff.

Both are interesting books and I don't regret reading either, but you have to go in suspicious of who is saying what. It happens with everyone, you can tell who Bob Woodward is interviewing in a number of his books and who is controlling the narrative, but not on the level of what happens in The Bunker and Nitro.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Watched a bit of a recent interview with Jimmy Valiant and he is still Jimmy Valiant. 🤭

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I heard Death of WCW was just extremely cynical and negative and that really turned me off. I also remember reading that it’s very rumor based and iffy on facts but that’s just sort of the nature of writing about such a chaotic industry.
If the authors were just cynical, they wouldn't be so angry at the way the company was mismanaged. They talk a lot about the incredible potential of the talent in the company and how badly it was squandered. As for being rumour-based, nah, I'd say it's a lot more grounded in the bottom line of how the company was doing fiscally, and has a lot more detail on parts of the business that almost any other wrestling book would gloss over, like merchandising.

My only real gripe with the book is that it doesn't drop enough dates. It generally goes year-by-year and doesn't always give a great picture of what was happening in a given month and what problems were going on at the same time, which is a real problem when a book is covering a whole lot of stuff happening in the span of 2 or 3 years.
Thank you! Wow. Okay, so he got to the point where he didn't just botch everything constantly, but he just looks uncomfortable in the ring, like he doesn't know where to put his feet or anything. He has the opposite of that ineffable thing they call "presence."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 22, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Watched a bit of a recent interview with Jimmy Valiant and he is still Jimmy Valiant. 🤭

The Boogie Woogie Man will never be anything other than the Boogie Woogie Man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

haljordan posted:

A toooooon of that stuff came from Vince Russo, he assumed every single person watching on TV or in the crowd was a smark and in on the joke.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince russo appears to have issues with people of different races and cultures and women even by the standards of pro wrestling
I know this is extremely controversial ITT, but I have a very low opinion of Vince Russo.

At the same time Russo was the worst kind of smark who put worked shoots in a major company's shows, he seems to have had no appreciation whatsoever for professional wrestling. And I don't just mean that he didn't care about workrate or wrestling as an art form, he really didn't understand any of it. He seems to have just seen it as a vehicle for himself and the stuff he really cared about, which was tabloid talk TV. If you try to understand Russo's wrestling angles as wrestling, it's infinitely baffling. If you understand it as Jerry Springer in a ring, things begin to fall into place.

Russo approached wrestling like somebody who read that old "Sleaze List" and believes every word of it because he wants it to be true. Every man in wrestling is a drunk, a drug addict, a pervert, a rapist, and worst of all, gay. Every woman in wrestling is a junkie and, like all women, a whore. As a writer, he has nothing but contempt for his characters, and his idea of humour is just sneering hatred for everyone, like if Andrew Clay really was "The Diceman" 24/7.

Russo's entire sense of aesthetics boils down to the part of a Jerry Springer episode where they pretend to beat each other up and have to be held back by security. In his mind, I think, wrestling improves on this because the ref has to let them fight. He saw the wrestlers as interchangeable ciphers, and he didn't grasp the basic idea that people want to see a good guy beat a bad guy. So he wrote angles about addiction, miscarriage, infidelity, erectile dysfunction--the basic requirement is that it be sleazy and embarrassing and humiliate everyone involved. It apparently never occurred to him that the audience should have anyone to root for. To him, that's not the point. You don't root for a wrestler, you just root for the fact that someone is being degraded, because you hate them, because you hate everyone.

Among other things, this explains his fondness for On A Pole matches--you can shoehorn any concept into wrestling by making it a Thing On A Stick.

Edit: If there's one other Russo appreciates about wrestling, it's that a nobody with no credentials like himself can bullshit his way to the top. He couldn't resolve any storyline he wrote because he could not write. The guy never had any experience writing novels, TV, movies, or any other narrative form as far as I know. He was an amateur sports journalist and radio host, parlayed that into editing a magazine, and parlayed that into a creative role.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2023

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Halloween Jack posted:

Russo approached wrestling like somebody who read that old "Sleaze List" and believes every word of it because he wants it to be true.

TK is an influential man

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

tony khan being the op of the sleaze list thread is forbidden knowledge

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Seems legit:

448. William Regal hates the US but is forced to work here out of fears of prosecution in the UK; it seems he was a middleman in the whole Queen Elizabeth drug dealing thing Lyndon LaRouche exposed in the '80s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing that still amuses me is how much people will bend over backward to say Hogan never exercised his creative control during his WCW run. What he didn't do was stand in the middle of the backstage area and, not unlike a giant bald Michael Scott, go "I DECLARE CREATIVE CONTROL, BROTHER."

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

saffi faildotter posted:

tony khan being the op of the sleaze list thread is forbidden knowledge

What? The fact that TK was a IWC nerd wasn’t news to me, but the fact that he was the OP of the thread is. drat

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nystral posted:

What? The fact that TK was a IWC nerd wasn’t news to me, but the fact that he was the OP of the thread is. drat

Ah, you think shitposting is your ally? Tony was born in it, molded by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dawgstar posted:

One thing that still amuses me is how much people will bend over backward to say Hogan never exercised his creative control during his WCW run. What he didn't do was stand in the middle of the backstage area and, not unlike a giant bald Michael Scott, go "I DECLARE CREATIVE CONTROL, BROTHER."

It's like Arnold saying he never used steroids to build muscle, only to recover.