Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't that bad should not the litmus test for a movie/series be. We need GREAT works, not wikipedia space fillers. We need new directors with new visions, not rehashes and remakes.

DamnGlitch posted:

Doan was great.

It's "Look, there's a thing that is like the other thing I like" We need to move beyond this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

It made me rewatch Utena, that's my review.

You're misunderstanding, I'm not saying SEED is hogging the spotlight; SEED is so calamitously disgusting, repulsive, that it simply deserves naught the chance at redemption. Like AGE it should be locked away, hidden in the deepest vaults, entombed in the farthest Earth. Let our hearts and minds be cleansed of its ghastly visage. Let us cleanse the franchise of its taint. Burn it, send the smoke to heaven and let us be restored.

insane old man screams at clouds

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Tomino and Anno both publicly acknowledging that they are perverts and griping over the fact that Miyazaki will never admit to being a pervert like them is pretty funny, though.

It was even funnier than that. At one point, Anno went far enough into his rant that Tomino went "Okay, we get it!"

For good and ill, that interview is very difficult to forget.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, the brief scenes we do get of Sayla always seem to show her living her best life as the happiest person in the Universal Century, chilling on a beach resort with cocktails. It's not exactly a mean-spirited depiction.

Also, given the scene at the end of the Zeta movies, she and Kai seem pretty close. They're both smart enough to get out of the thick of things, but decent enough as people that they can't just ignore all the poo poo coming down the pipe all the time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Isn't that bad should not the litmus test for a movie/series be. We need GREAT works, not wikipedia space fillers. We need new directors with new visions, not rehashes and remakes.

Then we shouldn't be getting any Gundam works. This is a multi-million dollar franchise that keeps going back to the same few ideas. If you want 'new visions' we shouldn't have the obligatory cyber-newtype or earth-space conflict every series, and yet.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gundam is as good now as it has been since it became a franchise: highly variable in quality.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I guess if you don't like GWitch you're kinda poo poo outta luck, yeah.

But it's like wildly popular and set in a universe completely disconnected from old work so like... I dunno, I feel like you can only reasonably expect one of those to be happening at a time in a long-running franchise like this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Then we shouldn't be getting any Gundam works. This is a multi-million dollar franchise that keeps going back to the same few ideas. If you want 'new visions' we shouldn't have the obligatory cyber-newtype or earth-space conflict every series, and yet.

The difference is the reticence to break free when need be. Consider The Earth, Colonies, "Newtypes", Etc as building pieces. One does not criticize a Lego creation for it's components but its execution.

Consider 00, has it not all participant parts of the MSG milieu? But it strikes out on its own in deciding how each of these parts would exist inside the 00's conception of futuristic reality while also keeping itself in conversation with the seventies SciFi classics e.g. Solaris, Foundation, Childhoods End. It lends itself pedigree, while also maintaining a sense of uniqueness in its existence.

Man seemingly discovers evidence of a (attempted)crime. Is the plot of The Conversation,Blow-Up, and Blowout. Yet from each of these springs new and interesting conversations and analyses. The Conversation covering guilt, paranoia and loneliness in modernity. Blowout the rotten core of political operations; the implicit willing to kill made manifest explicit. Blow Up the obsessive nature of artistic creation amid the ennui of actual existence.

V-Fins and Zakulikes are not the failing of modern Gundam, it is the unwillingness to unshackle the ankle and leap out unto the unknown. Doan's is them going back to the retreat of safety, the same characters and a plot known; origins as well. SEED movie is the same, they've failed twice now to make interesting the interaction of the coordinated and the naturalized, and now in one hour plus change they think they can salvage? Sunk Cost Fallacy!
Move on, didn't work, made money, move on. Keep Going, new ideas

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
are you doing a bit?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blowout is just Blow Up but with sounds instead of pictures.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Blowout is just Blow Up but with sounds instead of pictures.

They are noting alike. In execution or plot. Blow up is debatable if there was even a crime, or if crimes exist without evidence of such. Blow Out has a serial killer following Travolta and Allen, whom eventually manages to snuff out her life. They could not be more diametrically opposed. De Palma postulates that there is a truth, but it matters naught, its only use is cheap material for schlock Black Christmas ripoffs when up against ingrained political forces. Antonioni asks much deeper questions about art while mostly sidestepping any political ramifications that he might have brushed with in L'avventura and Red Desert.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

are you doing a bit?
I believe I've explained myself well

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hey man spoilers

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Utena rules so I will always support folks rewatching my "huh, I think this applies to me and bff and oh no am I lesbian???" intro series.

For Gundam though, I have given up on trying to watch AGE or G-Reco (until Gundaminfo pops the movies up) so I've gone back to Zeta and I think initial Beltorchika has grown on me. She's obnoxious but I'm in to it. I've always liked Reccoa, as terrible as she is, so y'know my taste isn't great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Begemot posted:

I guess if you don't like GWitch you're kinda poo poo outta luck, yeah.

But it's like wildly popular and set in a universe completely disconnected from old work so like... I dunno, I feel like you can only reasonably expect one of those to be happening at a time in a long-running franchise like this.

Not really.

I mean, it's the current new Gundam, so it gets the main focus, but there was a UC movie last year and the Hathaway films are still theoretically in production, there's going to be a Build ONA later this year, the SEED movie is well into production from the sound of things, and there's even animated cutscenes in the cell phone games that are getting fan translated. (Engage less reliably than Urdr Hunt, as far as I've seen, but there's still plenty from it around if you know where to look)

Full voice acting, too, which is kind of impressive.

Sure, there's more if you like G-Witch, but it's not like you're running on empty without. Not like it's one of those SD Gundam only time periods.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it amusing how Sunrise goes all out with their mobile game cutscenes. When you're only animating five minutes or less at a time they get pretty impressive.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

doan's was decent

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
In different circumstances the SEED movie probably would've existed over a decade ago and we wouldn't have to deal with this feeling of Sunrise reviving its frightening, beloved corpse.

Anyway I'm more bummed that AMAIM is continuing to exist and take up resources that could be on Gundam. A show that only has the tangible output of funnily-named model kits is not worth it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Obari directing the next AMAIM should make in interesting at least, though it might not be good

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I swear to god if Gundam produces any more popular series and or movies it's going to fail! Fail I say!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's "Look, there's a thing that is like the other thing I like" We need to move beyond this.

What does this even mean lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It means that a Char kick reference is the death knell of the franchise, or something.

I just wanted to laugh at Fukui making a weird as gently caress comment about Nanai's boobs swelling up because Char is a manchild.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i believe that if nanai had made char call him mommy in bed, his neo-zeon would have ended up being something more like aeug 2

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Arc Hammer posted:

Tomino might go on about the state of Nanai's pussy but Fukui aims higher.
Relevant:

(side-story in The Men Who Created Gundam)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Motherfucker

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mecha posted:

Relevant:

(side-story in The Men Who Created Gundam)

Because Fukui has his own weird ideas on the way women talk to each other.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
is it really gundam without weird sexism towards women?

Edit: the weird sexism in Tomino's old stuff and Fukui's even loving weirder sexism is not something I endorse. I'm doing a bit, I would very much enjoy Gundam with less weird sexism or weird ideas about the roles of women.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, because Turn A Gundam is the best and most Gundam Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

In different circumstances the SEED movie probably would've existed over a decade ago and we wouldn't have to deal with this feeling of Sunrise reviving its frightening, beloved corpse.

Anyway I'm more bummed that AMAIM is continuing to exist and take up resources that could be on Gundam. A show that only has the tangible output of funnily-named model kits is not worth it.

I finished AMAIM, and thus know how much the anime sucks better than most. That said, I'm still interested in seeing how this goes. Re:Rise was solid, despite having a prequel series arguably even worse than AMAIM.

Plus, a short ONA is much less likely to waste as much time as the main series did. Clear objective, lots of action, conclusion. Not necessarily good, but more likely to be at least dumb turn off your brain fun.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Yes, because Turn A Gundam is the best and most Gundam Gundam.

can't argue with this logic

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I did not like Wing and found it a slog to get through but Endless Waltz… kinda rules? It retains a lot of the weirdness of Wing. But while Wing often felt like a series of events that just happened, EW feels more like actions have reactions and there’s an end goal in mind for the characters. The animation’s a couple steps up as well, and the characters feel more focused. Limiting the thematic focus also worked wonders for the writing; gone are the endless debates over what mobile dolls mean for warfare and how that makes Trieze a loser was refreshing, and instead there’s focus on interrogating Relena’s Absolute Pacifism ideals, one of the few places when I felt Wing shine.

I’m a little torn on the mech redesigns. The Deathscythe Hell and Tallgeese rule, and Wing Zero is unimpeachable. But I don’t like the Sandrock forgoing its namesake colors in favor of the traditional Gundam tricolor. I miss the Heavyarms’ bold red/orange color scheme, and I understand giving it more miniguns because the Serpents have two, but four feels like putting a hat on a hat. I was never too fond of the Altron to begin with, but I missed its goofy scorpion tail.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

heavyarms completing its transcendence into the gundam made entirely out of guns is the most perfect image in the entire franchise

i personally found endless waltz less funny, and therefore less enjoyable, but it certainly does look really cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/wtk/status/1660060990132695040?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

they're giving twilight axis a blu ray? :raise:

...are they adding any content or anything that might make it watchable?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

haypliss posted:

Kyoukai Senki's whole issue is existing mainly to develop and maintain human resources for later use on Gundam for organic lack of use for mecha animation skills.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

i personally found endless waltz less funny, and therefore less enjoyable, but it certainly does look really cool

To me, Wing is like the Star Wars Holiday Special or Batman vs Superman: it sounds really loving funny on paper, but watching it is such a goddamn bore that the funny parts just aren’t that funny in context. Watching the late-series reveal that Lady Une actually survived getting shot through the heart and has just been in a coma and that’s why you haven’t seen her for 17 episodes was aggravating, but talking about it later is hilarious.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno i found it pretty funny seeing in real time what ludicriously improbable events would transpire or how much of the show's plot was clearly just being made up on the spot. also trying to decipher treize's occasional ranting from a hyperintelligent alien species with logical structures entirely foreign to mankind is a fun kind of befuddlement.

i barely remember anything from endless waltz tbh and i've seen it like 4 times. treize's kid or granddaughter is the villain except it's actually the evil old dude using her, and the wing zero has an incredibly overindulgent takeoff sequence. i think everyone shows up with their new gundam designs for like 1 scene to get some cool shots in and wu fei is a lovely dude for no sensible reason again (but like a giant pain the rear end for more people than usual, i think he starts on the villain's side?)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how in Endless Waltz they come up with yet another plan to get rid of the gundams forever only to immediately say "oh poo poo we have to get the Gundams back" because yet another lunatic is starting a war.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Endless Waltz is genuinely very good and by far the best thing to come out of Wing besides memes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ninjewtsu posted:

i dunno i found it pretty funny seeing in real time what ludicriously improbable events would transpire or how much of the show's plot was clearly just being made up on the spot. also trying to decipher treize's occasional ranting from a hyperintelligent alien species with logical structures entirely foreign to mankind is a fun kind of befuddlement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skdsahHBR4Q

quote:

i barely remember anything from endless waltz tbh and i've seen it like 4 times. treize's kid or granddaughter is the villain except it's actually the evil old dude using her, and the wing zero has an incredibly overindulgent takeoff sequence. i think everyone shows up with their new gundam designs for like 1 scene to get some cool shots in and wu fei is a lovely dude for no sensible reason again (but like a giant pain the rear end for more people than usual, i think he starts on the villain's side?)

When I realized Wu Fei was on Dekim’s side, it made perfect sense to me because Wu Fei was always just kind of a lovely dude who never made sense. Him going all Big Boss on Heero is probably my favorite thing they’ve done with Wu Fei outside of poo poo like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jl64zgBsxE
I think it’s just a difference of Vibes, and I’m glad you enjoyed Wing’s ridiculous rear end-pulls while watching it!

Arc Hammer posted:

I like how in Endless Waltz they come up with yet another plan to get rid of the gundams forever only to immediately say "oh poo poo we have to get the Gundams back" because yet another lunatic is starting a war.

There were like one or two episodes of Wing that really grappled with the need to have soldiers to protect the Peacecraft nation, while the rest of their attempts at it was just Dorothy just being catty to Relena, and I’m glad Endless Waltz focused in on that contradiction because that’s probably the most interesting idea in Wing.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Is there nowhere I can legally stream Turn-A / Ɐ in the US right now? I think I can find every other Gundam in existence at the moment except Ɐ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Only place you can legally watch it is BDs ye