Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Third person for RE4 is cool and good because I can better appreciate the finisher moves in Mercs mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Kins posted:

Every game has its own set of launch options/command line options. novid is specific to Valve's games/engines, but other games may have their own equivalent.

They certainly look like command line arguments, but I see no instructions for use as same. Can you launch `steam -novid` and any game will skip the video if possible? or `steam appid -novid`? `steam /location/of/game.exe -novid`?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

They certainly look like command line arguments, but I see no instructions for use as same. Can you launch `steam -novid` and any game will skip the video if possible? or `steam appid -novid`? `steam /location/of/game.exe -novid`?

I believe you just put 'em in this little box:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mescal posted:

Right click a game in your library and select Properties. There's a section at the bottom of the "General" tab to put 'em in. Like so!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

No, of course I'm aware that is the usual way to use them. But you said they were command line arguments.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mescal posted:

No, of course I'm aware that is the usual way to use them. But you said they were command line arguments.
They're command line arguments that steam is passing to the actual executable.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 21, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mystes posted:

They're command line arguments that steam is passing to the actual executable

Very good. How do you use them in the terminal?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Edit: this was a dumb response so nm

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They are literally command line arguments added in terminal when running the game executable, except the Steam option automatically launches the executable with those command line arguments every time you run it

you would run this in terminal/command prompt/whatever:
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\whatever\coolassgame\coolassgame.exe -novid

But setting a launch option in Steam is much easier and makes Steam do this automatically for you

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm not being a dick. My first question was more or less "are these command line arguments and if so how do you use them," then I get told twice that they are command line arguments. If you're telling me that they're not functional anywhere other than Steam's game properties menu, that answers my question.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

They are literally command line arguments added in terminal when running the game executable, except the Steam option automatically launches the executable with those command line arguments every time you run it

you would run this in terminal/command prompt/whatever:
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\whatever\coolassgame\coolassgame.exe -novid

But setting a launch option in Steam is much easier and makes Steam do this automatically for you

Thank you

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Some Steam game executables will swallow your arguments if they are launched from the CLI and tell Steam to launch the game. The arguments get lost in the process because Steam will only consider the arguments set in the game properties tab.

Since this is an implementation detail every single game developer handles differently there is no consistency.

The most consistent way is to set the arguments in the game properties. You can tell Steam to run a game via the CLI, you just need to know the store ID (also shown somewhere in the game properties)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Some Steam game executables will swallow your arguments if they are launched from the CLI and tell Steam to launch the game. The arguments get lost in the process because Steam will only consider the arguments set in the game properties tab.

Since this is an implementation detail every single game developer handles differently there is no consistency.

The most consistent way is to set the arguments in the game properties. You can tell Steam to run a game via the CLI, you just need to know the store ID (also shown somewhere in the game properties)

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mescal posted:

I'm not being a dick. My first question was more or less "are these command line arguments and if so how do you use them," then I get told twice that they are command line arguments. If you're telling me that they're not functional anywhere other than Steam's game properties menu, that answers my question.
sorry I assumed you understood that the arguments in that box were being passed to the .exe file as arguments but were making some pedantic point about what counted as a command line argument but I shouldn't have done that

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mystes posted:

sorry I assumed you understood that the arguments in that box were being passed to the .exe file as arguments but were making some pedantic point about what counted as a command line argument but I shouldn't have done that

I had assumed that they were being passed through as arguments, but I didn't understand the details of it. According to Antigravitas, they're not being simply and cleanly passed thru.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 21, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm glad everyone has sorted that one out. :3:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mescal posted:

they are functional outside of steam's menu, you really can start games on the command line. steam is just a convenient shortcut so you don't have to muck about with the folder structures but of course you could open up your terminal, browse to "C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\ultimate doom" and run doom.exe*

if a game like doom doesn't have steamworks drm and you start it by running the exe instead of going through steam then it won't work with all the fancy steam social stuff ofcourse, so e.g. your friends won't see that you started playing and steam won't record your playtime

(* on the steam version of DOOM it's actually a .bat file which launches dosbox, not an exe... steam handles that for you too)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 21, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Handling of command line arguments is just weird sometimes.

If I want to launch RImworld from the CLI, I can do this:
Sh code:
/media/local/stuff/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldLinux -popupwindow
And it immediately runs Rimworld with the -popupwindow argument.

If I enter -popupwindow into the launch options of Rimworld in Steam and start Rimworld, it goes to a different executable (start_RimWorld.sh) and does a ton of additional magic:

quote:

Game process added : AppID 294100 "/home/ag/.steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=294100 -- /home/ag/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/media/local/stuff/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RimWorld/start_RimWorld.sh' -popupwindow", ProcID 31804, IP 0.0.0.0:0

Note what it's doing: it's launching a program called reaper, with the arguments SteamLaunch and AppId=294100, and everything after the first -- is taken as raw arguments (the -- is convention for stopping argument processing, Valve made it that way)

reaper then launches another executable called steam-launch-wrapper, which then starts start_RimWorld.sh with the argument -popupwindow.

If we look into start_RimWorld.sh:

Sh code:
#!/bin/bash
#Launcher for the Linux version of RimWorld

# cd into the directory containing this script
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f "$0")
DIR=$(dirname "$SCRIPT")
cd "$DIR"

#Getting game executable name.
GAMEFILE="RimWorldLinux"

#Puts the game executable as... executable if not the case.
if [ ! -x $GAMEFILE ]
    then chmod +x $GAMEFILE
fi

#If this is a dev version, we want to activate logs.
#if [[ $GAMEFILE == *Dev* ]]
#    then LOG="-logfile /tmp/rimworld_log"
#    else LOG=""
#fi

#We always want to activate logs
LOG="-logfile /tmp/rimworld_log_$UID"

#Locale resetting (important for Ubuntu players who are not native speakers of English) and launching the game.
LC_ALL=C ./$GAMEFILE $LOG
The important line is the last one:

code:
LC_ALL=C ./$GAMEFILE $LOG
This expands to:

code:
LC_ALL=C ./RimWorldLinux -logfile /tmp/rimworld_log_1000
And yup, that's our -popupwindow gone.

Note: This is a case where the launch options from Steam don't work!
There are also cases where ONLY the launch options from Steam work, because the game expects to be launched from Steam and will redirect to Steam if launched from CLI.

tl;dr everything is hosed, don't expect any consistency whatsoever. Embrace not knowing.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 21, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they are functional outside of steam's menu, you really can start games on the command line. steam is just a convenient shortcut so you don't have to muck about with the folder structures but of course you could open up your terminal, browse to C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\DOOM and run doom.exe

:anime: I am aware that you can launch a game via its exe, that was never in question. If I didn't know that, I dunno... I wouldn't be here. Let's drop the topic shall we?

Antigravitas posted:

information, thorough

You're a treasure!

Mescal fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 21, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yes, drop it. Now please.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mescal posted:

Very good. How do you use them in the terminal?

To launch Portal (appid 400) with the -novid argument: steam -applaunch 400 -novid

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PYF command line arguments

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
steam -applaunch store -addtobacklog

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on void bastards ?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fit em all up in there posted:

Big ol meh from me. I think a lot of people were turned onto it from the art style which is definitely cool but the combat felt very limp and the cool unique space ships you'd find repeated all the time so it got significantly less unique very quickly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Not great.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Fun premise, okay-to-below-average execution. I'd pay $5 for it but probably not much more.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Very mediocre. It has some fun ideas, but the execution falls a bit short.

Art style and general world design is solid though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

It's alright, but just alright. Something important to understand is that it while bills itself as something of a roguelike immersive sim, it's mainly channeling very specific elements of the genre. Which is to say 90% of the game is looting stuff while either killing or sneaking past enemies. Though probably the most important thing to know is that it's a roguelite that is 100% built around the metaprogression. By default I don't think you can even actually lose, just fail upward. So if you're picky about that kind of thing, beware. Also minor spoilers but all of your actual "story" objectives are a joke; you need to fabricate an ID card, oops the ID computer exploded now you need to fix that, etc. creating a shaggy dog story of bullshit to keep stringing you along. Probably not a big deal but I can see it rubbing some people the wrong way.

The weakest part of the game is the ship subsystem stuff. Each one is simultaneously super duper turbo important and also completely unnecessary to interact with, basically decided in advance by what the random map quirks dictate. If you're relatively close to the bridge or the map is huge and confusing, there's no reason not to beeline for the map computer. Early on it'll be your first stop 99% of the time. If the power goes out, you literally can't do anything until you go turn it back on. You can always bribe security to shut down temporarily, but what does it matter if there's barely any security in the first place? No emergent gameplay comes from any of it.

The more exotic weapons have a similar issue where none of them are generally bad, but they all tend to hard counter a specific enemy type and you're told what enemies are on each ship so you can plan well in advance. The actual decision-making ends up being offloaded to things like your pathing on the meta-map, manipulating your character's perks, finding tricks to optimize resource gains, etc. Or just in the moment to moment execution of properly sneaking around, killing stuff, etc. (Once you hit a certain level of progression you're ending up in ships where the lights are permanently off, everything's on fire, extra enemies are spawning from portals, and pirates are coming to kill you so poo poo can get proper hectic.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play Heat Signature instead.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

rm -rf :black101:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

rm -rf /*

It works on many systems. It neatly sidesteps the non-standard --no-preserve-root some versions of rm want if you just use rm -rf /.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Hwurmp posted:

I wish all your motherboards had swallowed

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

stick it in your SCSI port

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i assume hrot's overwhelmingly positive rating is mainly due to early access goodwill because i just do not see the appeal there

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

i assume hrot's overwhelmingly positive rating is mainly due to early access goodwill because i just do not see the appeal there
As a late-coming fan of retro shooters, a lot of it is just, "it's like the games I used to play as a kid!"

I was pretty meh on the demos, and didn't think the actual shooting part of the shooting game was all that great but I might pick it up some day on sale. And I'm a man who loves DUSK, AE, etc. I just started playing Prodeus and I know that's another one with mixed reviews around here but the gunplay and weapons are definitely satisfying.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I really enjoyed it, but know that you'll get only a single 'campaign' out of it. Very sharp idea, good humor, technically excellent, but drags near the very end.

Buy it cheap, enjoy it imo.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

goferchan posted:

I started RE4 remake and it's not exactly that i'm "scared" but it's crazy how much more my nerves react to scary games as I've gotten older lol. Like I used to be able to play anything and it never bothered me as a kid, but I get so jumpy with survival
horror stuff now.

Movies never bother me, I can watch whatever, loved nasty poo poo like Terrifier, but give me enough goofy video game jumpscares back-to-back and I'll have to turn it off and take a break.

Same
I have started playing through RE2make and find myself only playing short bursts for this very reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I picked up Vaporum since I like Legend of Grimrock and similar games and I think it's quite good, from what little I know. it was on sale the other day and it's like LoG but steampunk with some timing puzzles. IDK, I only cleared two maps and there's like 12 or something, so it's probably 10-15 hours which is good for the price.

has a half life reference