Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
After 10 hours, I generally guess I don't understand the flow of taking turns despite most moves being negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Yeeeeeah. I guess we'll just have to hope that LK Degage (the "Claw slide" one) low profiles under projectiles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pockyless posted:

Parry has 29f recovery when they let go and you can get a full punish counter combo

That's not true. You can still block (and I'm 99% sure you can tech too) during the recovery.

brainSnakes posted:

I have a hunch you're really going to enjoy Jp's projectile command grab

You bet I will. I can't wait.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Tae posted:

After 10 hours, I generally guess I don't understand the flow of taking turns despite most moves being negative.

I do for every character except for Kimberley

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

poe meater posted:

If you wanna use your PS4 pad, I would recommend trying a cheap bluetooth dongle. Assuming it can still charge via USB.

Good call, thanks!

Also, for the record, my dpad hand feels like it's gonna fall off. Maybe asked my hand a bit much after a week of crazy Zelda hours. I also haven't played a fighting game so much since late 2018 (SoulCalibur VI and Smash).

edit: my computer has Bluetooth already, oh yeah! Dualshock 4 feels much better for this.

Was cool to get a taste of it though! Chun is still a lotta fun. I'll get this game probably a month or two after release, or when I beat Zelda.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 21, 2023

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's in large part because just day 2 and not really having training mode so I have scarcely more than zero combos and still mess them up half the time, but boy Chun feels really bad to me. It feels like she has a shorter range than any of the other characters which is weird considering how she's always been before, her st.mk doesn't seem to really duck anything, and she doesn't have anything that leaves her neutral or at least safe negative other than ex legs and maybe H legs (though that will be beaten on startup if they mash). Hazanshu they say is supposed to be used to close distance and beat sweeps, but it loses to any button seemingly including lows and isn't safe on block. It honestly even seems like she's like 20% smaller than she should be. The biggest issues I've been having are getting used to her really long fireball charge time and up inputs being so sensitive that I'm constantly getting sbk (and consequently eating poo poo for it) instead of legs or hazanshu.

Again this is all mostly day 2/-14 gripes on a character I can't really practice and who I don't long term intend to play anyway and who may well be a bit different in the final build and an entirely new game I don't understand the flow of yet, but if there's some way they wanted her to be played, I'm surely not grasping it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 21, 2023

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeeeeeah. I guess we'll just have to hope that LK Degage (the "Claw slide" one) low profiles under projectiles.

Its still a true throw, so can't hit people airborne
so you can do her MK ballerina kicks to go right through it :shobon:

*edit*

Jack Trades posted:

That's not true. You can still block (and I'm 99% sure you can tech too) during the recovery.

Can block everything during your recovery, but you can't tech throws

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's also important to remember the open beta is the exact same version of the game as the last beta, and is thus significantly older than the demo much less the release version

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

It's in large part because just day 2 and not really having training mode so I have scarcely more than zero combos and still mess them up half the time, but boy Chun feels really bad to me. It feels like she has a shorter range than any of the other characters which is weird considering how she's always been before, her st.mk doesn't seem to really duck anything, and she doesn't have anything that leaves her neutral or at least safe negative other than ex legs and maybe H legs (though that will be beaten on startup if they mash). Hazanshu they say is supposed to be used to close distance and beat sweeps, but it loses to any button seemingly including lows and isn't safe on block. It honestly even seems like she's like 20% smaller than she should be. The biggest issues I've been having are getting used to her really long fireball charge time and up inputs being so sensitive that I'm constantly getting sbk (and consequently eating poo poo for it) instead of legs or hazanshu.

Again this is all mostly day 2/-14 gripes on a character I can't really practice and who I don't long term intend to play anyway and who may well be a bit different in the final build and an entirely new game I don't understand the flow of yet, but if there's some way they wanted her to be played, I'm surely not grasping it.

Punk was playing Chun and had like a 50 win streak in ranked, so there's some replays to watch at least.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Can block everything during your recovery, but you can't tech throws

Oh! That makes sense then. I suspected that I was missing something.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

chumbler posted:

It feels like Chun has a shorter range than any of the other characters which is weird considering how she's always been before, her st.mk doesn't seem to really duck anything, and she doesn't have anything that leaves her neutral or at least safe negative other than ex legs and maybe H legs (though that will be beaten on startup if they mash).
Played her for the first time yesterday and it was humbling. I literally gasped when I saw what they did to her HP/bHP and then got my poo poo caved for trying to use LK legs on block and her level2 to get through fireballs. I’m guessing this is all good balance reasoning to adapt her to the world of SF6, but I feel like the essence of what makes Chun fun for me is gone. I liked spamming instant air lightning legs! I just wanna braindead throw out heavy pokes!! Is that too much to ask Capcom??? :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't understand how to use Chun's HP.
It can be canceled into stance but literally every single time I tried that, even landing HP as a punish counter, I got whacked out of the stance before I could do anything.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Someone has to be bottom of the pile and apparently its me, got assigned 1 Star rookie after ranked placements because I went 3-7 (including 2 lvl5 cpus).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
apparently the most intimidating thing you can do at my level is slowly advance on someone while threatening parry-throw-di

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

apparently the most intimidating thing you can do at my level is slowly advance on someone while threatening parry-throw-di

Walking forward while holding EX Zonk Punch with Cody was one of my favorite things to do in SF4.
SF6 allows you do to a similar thing with any character and I'm a big fan of that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

Walking forward while holding EX Zonk Punch with Cody was one of my favorite things to do in SF4.
SF6 allows you do to a similar thing with any character and I'm a big fan of that.

I gotta say, it does make me feel intimidating and powerful. I been beating people with mostly that, with a few specials to keep people on their toes, the one target combo I know, and the occasional super.

I imagine this probably means I'll be maining Manon over Marisa at launch.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 21, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Marisa can walk forward and threaten her opponent even while she's in Burnout, because she can still parry with her stance and break DI's with the specials.

I'm extremely excited to bully people with Marisa (and annoy them with JP.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I just wish my new keyboard wasn't delayed until after the beta, I know I am dropping inputs because I am also dropping letters or getting repeated ones typing here and now.

edit: alright, finally found my firstsecond complaint about the game: No PS buttons when using a PS controller.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 21, 2023

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I don't understand how to use Chun's HP.
It can be canceled into stance but literally every single time I tried that, even landing HP as a punish counter, I got whacked out of the stance before I could do anything.

https://youtu.be/mZ3fBvVTZN4

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Huh...I guess I was way too slow to do anything out of the stance.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just came to the realisation that drive cancelling from a normal into another normal is literally just Dan's V-skill 2, confirmation that all styles flow from Saikyo style.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Anybody playing Guile willing to toss out some tips? I haven’t played a Street Fighter since IV. Using classic because I feel like modern would actually be harder for me in some ways.

It seems like standing medium kick and crouching medium kick are good for keeping people out. Am I right in thinking that zoning people with sonic booms and poking them while fishing for conversions is kind of the gameplan here?

Also, xbox dpad is both extremely responsive and extremely uncomfortable on my thumb. Any thoughts on good alternative pads for Xbox?

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
Anyone have any tips for playing against Jamie as Luke? It feels like his reach is way better than mine so I have no idea how to get in. Any time I try to get in range I eat one of his lows.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is Luke's command dash thing just a meme/surprise thing? I think the EX version has armor but both enders are super unsafe.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rascar posted:

Anyone have any tips for playing against Jamie as Luke? It feels like his reach is way better than mine so I have no idea how to get in. Any time I try to get in range I eat one of his lows.

The good news as Luke is your pokes are definitely better than Jamies, 5 mk in particular, and you have a fireball he cannot deal with well without 2+ drinks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i haven't really looked into Modern controls much, how are people finding it? i have to assume most of the people posting in this thread are either seasoned enough with classic to not bother trying it or completely new, but i'm interested in how say, people coming from airdash games where L/M/H is more standard like it

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is there any segregation in place online separating modern control users from classic? I’m guessing not, they probably expect if you’re comfortable enough with classic that you can deal with what people are throwing out on modern controls

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I love games against fellow new players where we are neck and neck, but then one of us remembers a basic mechanic like parrying or blocking full attack strings and absolutely steamrolls the other player. I hope I never get good at this game

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Spuckuk posted:

The good news as Luke is your pokes are definitely better than Jamies, 5 mk in particular, and you have a fireball he cannot deal with well without 2+ drinks

Seems to me like most characters can deal with fireballs well in a game with a parry and a way to dash out of that parry into a mixup, but I could be wrong.

It felt like I was constantly eating lows before being able to get into the range where my standing medium kick hits. Probably just have to get used to the match-up, though. For what it is worth as much as I'm getting owned by the new characters I'm still enjoying fighting them. This game is such a step up from 5 it is crazy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

As someone new to playing fighting games online, how many matches is it good etiquette to play before bailing? More than best of three?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't think any reasonable person would be upset if you dipped after a BO3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

i don't think any reasonable person would be upset if you dipped after a BO3.

Definitely this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Along those lines, I love the inclusion of a thumbs up button after games but wish it was visible in real time to the opponent

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Ok cool. I was mainly doing best of three. Then a bunch of people in a row kept wanting to play more, so I got paranoid. Also got my first rage quit. Feels good

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Huh...I guess I was way too slow to do anything out of the stance.

She is by far the least intuitive character and doing anything really interesting with stance will be beyond most scrubs like me.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

morestuff posted:

Along those lines, I love the inclusion of a thumbs up button after games but wish it was visible in real time to the opponent

Game devs in general need to give us more ways to Positively reinforce people who are pleasent to play with/against.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

She is by far the least intuitive character and doing anything really interesting with stance will be beyond most scrubs like me.

https://twitter.com/PunkDaGod/status/1660274368658718722

Yeah not a beginner character.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

i haven't really looked into Modern controls much, how are people finding it? i have to assume most of the people posting in this thread are either seasoned enough with classic to not bother trying it or completely new, but i'm interested in how say, people coming from airdash games where L/M/H is more standard like it

man nurse posted:

Is there any segregation in place online separating modern control users from classic? I’m guessing not, they probably expect if you’re comfortable enough with classic that you can deal with what people are throwing out on modern controls

I am definitely in the minority out there in casual queue, i have yet to fight anyone not using modern controls in casual queue.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well, glad I'm not alone in having a very hard time with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ribbiwawaaa/status/1659790355297083392?s=20