Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just have the Panopticon charge me for whatever it sees me putting into my bags as I grocery shop and let me skip the checkout entirely.

Oh they’re working on that. Amazon has been testing that out for a few years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just have the Panopticon charge me for whatever it sees me putting into my bags as I grocery shop and let me skip the checkout entirely.

Amazon already has stores like that

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

At a self-checkout, if you're entering in the produce code for the usda organic version of something because you actually are buying the organic version, then you're doing it wrong. save money, enter the nonorganic 4 digit code version. you know you want to :smug:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I once entered 1 batch of mint when I took 2. Deliberately. Because the time before the mint I bought went bad faster than normal.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Once a clerk thought my very expensive and exotic feijoas were cheapo limes and rang them up as such.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Wait you can't use self service if your under 18 in the UK or was it just the staff being poo poo? Like here in Australia I'm sure i've seen teens use them and no one cared.

In :patriot: you have to have someone come over and verify your ID if you buy booze or otherwise age-restricted stuff. Beyond that yeah maybe you have one bored teenager 'supervising' 8 stations. Once I forgot to scan 64$ worth of beer in the bottom of my cart and I felt real bad about it afterwards.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Takes No Damage posted:

I felt real bad about it afterwards.

Stop doing this even if you personally know and love everyone in the store.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

Once I forgot to scan 64$ worth of beer in the bottom of my cart and I felt real bad about it afterwards.

Look if you're feeling bad after 64$ worth of beer, buy get better beer.

That's on you.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Listen.
The best self checkout code is oats.
Everything you are buying is oats by weight.
If someone questions it, sorry I don't have the codes memorized.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

The whole point is to get rid of employees. The fewer employees, the more profit. It's hosed. Don't use self-checkout if you want to support the workers. Or something. Capitalism sucks.

"Don't use trains, the people caring for horses will lose their jobs."

Maybe we can just take care of the workers instead of being luddites?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I think some people here are misinterpreting my post. I should have said that I

:airquote: FELT REAL BAD :airquote:

about it afterwards :wink:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

XeeD posted:

Don't use self checkouts. You don't work there. Easy peasy problem solved.

At the smiths in my neighborhood the only open registers after 4pm are self checkouts

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Don't use trains, the people caring for horses will lose their jobs."

Maybe we can just take care of the workers instead of being luddites?

The workers that are losing hours and jobs due to self checkout? Those workers?

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

MrQwerty posted:

At the smiths in my neighborhood the only open registers after 4pm are self checkouts

Stop buying groceries at the smith's. He's there to forge poo poo like swords and horseshoes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That reminds me of the two City of Heroes characters I made in 2008, cyborgs named Barack Robama and John Mechain.

Thanks, Roboama.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
In 2012 I had an account in Mechwarrrior Online named MechRomney.

:mitt:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

I think some people here are misinterpreting my post. I should have said that I

:airquote: FELT REAL BAD :airquote:

about it afterwards :wink:

You got a hangover from $64 of beer? Buy better beer

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The hangover from $64 malt whisky ain't that much better.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

The workers that are losing hours and jobs due to self checkout? Those workers?

Consumer behavior will never have any effect on worker conditions. Unless that behavior includes torches and pitchforks I guess.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Self checkouts are great. Now instead of telling the cashier "It's not scanning? I guess it's free!" I just take my free item.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I realize you guys are joking, but the number of people that think they've discovered some "hack" with self checkouts to pay less boggles my mind. It's just theft.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Glottis posted:

I realize you guys are joking, but the number of people that think they've discovered some "hack" with self checkouts to pay less boggles my mind. It's just theft.

I don't think anyone believes it isn't shoplifting. They just don't (rightly) care

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Glottis posted:

Holy poo poo! Sherlock Holmes here cracked the case!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, it rules.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It also gives them plausible deniability if caught because they can just pretend they didn't know how the machine works

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Glottis posted:

And theft is cool so these hacks rule.

The reason why they have very few cash self service checkouts though is so they can easily keep a record of who is stealing a lot of poo poo and when they finally decide you've stolen enough they've got a real easy paper trail to follow to nail you for grand theft stuff so don't be too blatant (aka look white) about stealing stuff.

Shopping while brown negates this though and you'll get accused of stealing stuff no matter what you did.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

otoh it becomes predictable, like how Target won't do anything about shoplifting until they have evidence of you stealing enough to make it a felony. In my state that happens at $1,000 which means you are totally in the free and clear to steal up to $999 worth of things from Target.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Glottis posted:

I just don't like the way they bag my stuff.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA REMOVE THIS ITEM BEFORE CONTINUING

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Waffle! posted:

"If you want a vision of the future..."

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
*takes balls off of the scanner* "Oh, now we're making rules!"

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Waffle! posted:

Yeah, that's the main reason why I prefer to go to a cashier. One place I went to didn't even have dedicated cashiers, it had everyone doing stocking until the machine inevitably poo poo itself and called out for someone to help or someone went up to the cash and one of the employees were around to see it. It had a lot of mirrors and "we have anti-theft measures" around the self-checkout but seriously if you're that concerned about shoplifting maybe keep a human on staff to check people out?

I prefer the one location that doesn't have self-checkout.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I've been going to the same QFC since 2002 and the worst it gets is a slight backup because some old hippy needs help weighing/scanning his jalapeños.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Waffle! posted:

this happens when I put my bag down now on the self check out counter bagging area now

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Doesn't say where they're retaining it, or who's it is.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

He totally poached a Narwhal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This makes so much more sense now

https://twitter.com/JohnCogs5/status/1542526590709469185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!