Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Clearly the answer is to make a Pokemon Mecha show or a Planet Robobot anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pootybutt posted:

I mean, technically the Island of the Giant Pokemon had robots. They just thought they were real at first.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Expo70 posted:

Possibly a repost but...

1. What happened?

2. Can anything be done about it?

make your protagonist a woman and make the show super gay

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Make a Custom Robo anime.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pootybutt posted:

I'm telling you, now is the time for a medabots revival.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Pootybutt posted:

You'd only even need to get a voice actor for Haltmann for that second one too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

I'm telling you, now is the time for a medabots revival.

just be careful they don't make robopon by accident instead

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Light Gun Man posted:

dare I ask?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Expo70 posted:

dare I ask?

image search robopon manga if you feel brave / want a laugh

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Robopon was an alright pokemon knockoff, robopon 2 was mechanically better but has an insane plot where basically the first thing you do is murder a man and everyone just lets it slide because he was a loner and no one liked him anyway.

Light Gun Man posted:

image search robopon manga if you feel brave / want a laugh

Infamously the manga was drawn by a guy who just gave everyone giant tits, including the children. The actual games are do not do that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blockhouse posted:

make your protagonist a woman and make the show super gay

The Witch from Mercury could be gayer, but it's doing very well so far.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do not know how much gayer Witch from Mercury could get.

I suppose we could have a confirmed MLM pairing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno Lauda could pull the "we're only half brothers, nee-san" to Guel. Plus Twitter already ships Norea/Sophie Sabina/Nika and Felsi/Chuchu

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

Robopon was an alright pokemon knockoff, robopon 2 was mechanically better but has an insane plot where basically the first thing you do is murder a man and everyone just lets it slide because he was a loner and no one liked him anyway.

Infamously the manga was drawn by a guy who just gave everyone giant tits, including the children. The actual games are do not do that.

yeah, the games aren't....that.

perhaps the time is right for a new biomotor unitron or something. no wait, gimme a new slapstick/robotrek! I'd watch that as an anime prob

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just need Shaddiq piloting his mecha with his shirt half on al la Akio in utena

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just need Shaddiq piloting his mecha with his shirt half on al la Akio in utena

With the mecha's shirt half on, surely.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Arc Hammer posted:

With the mecha's shirt half on, surely.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking mecha for kids, that's Shinkalion. Over 100 episodes of anime, a movie, and a massively successful toyline. I can't find the details on exactly how successful right now, mind, but getting that many episodes suggests it did alright.

Also, it has Godzilla, Hatsune Miku, and the Evangelion cast show up, so that's a thing.

As for Gundam, the last show I can find demographic information for, Iron Blooded Orphans season 2, had about .95 percent of kids and 1.2 percent of teens watching an average episode. The finale managed to get 1.1 and 2.0, respectively. That's a lower percentage than it managed for M1 or M2, but higher than for any of the other demographics, which were below 1 percent. (Interestingly enough, IBO seems to have been more popular with older women than old men, and the finale had higher ratings among women in general than the oldest group of men surveyed. If anyone knows the cutoff ages for M1, M2, and M3 in Japanese ratings, I'd be grateful).

For context, MHA season 1, the lowest rated season as far as I've seen, had 1.5 percent of kids and 2 percent of teens. (Or possibly 1.81 and .88, depending on what UC means in the context of Japanese TV ratings. My sources aren't always helpful or, if I'm honest, pleasant. Done some sewer dredging for some of these figures.)

That's not great, but it's not terrible either, and Bandai suggested similar results with the decision to include IBO in a SRW cell phone game aimed at younger players rather than the console game aimed at veteran players back when T and DD were released.

That said, Iron Blooded Orphans was more than half a decade ago, and the fans from then are half a decade older. In the positive column for the present, Witch and the TV versions of the movies have been getting similar ratings to IBO. Demos are unknown beyond streaming, but Sunrise was at least talking about trying to get kids into Gundam.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 21, 2023

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Okay but, and I'm trying to figure out the proper way to say this, but the market for anime isn't just Japan anymore. poo poo's global, and you gotta look at things globally.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah but we've been discussing why Robots aren't seen as cool by Japanese kids and looking at ratings of Gundam/Shinkelion in Japan is relevant to that discussion!

Anyway the Gundam stuff is interesting but I stand by my point that Gundam funnels new fans into being Gundam fans not overall mecha fans. As for why Shinkelion being a long running kids show hasn't led to an increase in new mecha fans? Maybe the train part overshadows the robot part?

Also Shinkelion not streaming still annoys me. Wish more kids shows made it to streaming especially the older ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
86 and Attack on Titan being megahits implies that the market for mecha-adjacent military sci-fi is still going fairly strong. It's the classic Mazinger-style super robots that seem a bit out-of-fashion.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

those are works that are also going to skew older than age 9 i imagine. mecha has become so entwined with war is hell that it's probably pretty hard to effectively market to 6 year olds, and is instead a teenager/adult genre effectively

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean that idea of bringing back Medabots seems kinda like what you'd want to do for kids Mecha shows.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm kinda shocked i haven't heard of a medabots revival at some point tbh

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mazinger style robots are old fashioned. Mazinkaiser and the Shin Getter OVAs et al. were a nostalgic throwback, and they're all twenty years old at this point.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

do power rangers not still have the megazord

wait are power rangers still a big deal

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC Super Sentai is on a downturn?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It is but Ultraman is on an upswing and it frequently has robots. Z had an expanding crew of ally mecha and the upcoming Blazar also has at least one.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm kinda shocked i haven't heard of a medabots revival at some point tbh

I think there was one that was like, an all girl cast? But that doesn't seem aimed at kids.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
maybe someone who knows more than me can say something about it, but i keep seeing regular crossovers with popular things for the medabots mobile game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just found out that the cool medabots rpg game i had on gba in middle school is part of a 9 entry series that we just never got in the us

i'm a little upset the ds games never came over tbh (unless they sucked)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

86 and Attack on Titan being megahits implies that the market for mecha-adjacent military sci-fi is still going fairly strong. It's the classic Mazinger-style super robots that seem a bit out-of-fashion.

If we're bringing up recent successes, than the Gridman universe and Promare seem relevant as well.

Gridman's film was a big success this year, with Gridman previously selling more Blu Rays on average than most Gundam shows since 00. (It's only surpassed by IBO season 1 and, of course, Unicorn). Dynazenon was much lower, thanks in large part to a changing market, but it still sold dramatically more than 86, which seems to have been pretty far from a flop.

That said, they still seem to be somewhat niche. Other than Attack on Titan, which is in a weird place vis a vis mecha, Gundam and Eva are the only shows I've been able to find regularly making streaming charts, with old Gundam shows outranking 86 the week of its (excellent) finale, despite not releasing anything as far as I could tell.

Looking for more details, 86 has sold a bit under 2 million copies of the novels, manga, and sidestory volumes. For context, as of October 2022 that put its total sales between Blue Box and Undead Unluck, with lower per volume averages than either. It's a hit, but it's not enough to say Mecha is mainstream again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i just found out that the cool medabots rpg game i had on gba in middle school is part of a 9 entry series that we just never got in the us

i'm a little upset the ds games never came over tbh (unless they sucked)

The first DS game was a bit jank, because it was incredibly slow and awkward as a lot of first transitions into 3D tend to be, but for the most part I can't recall any real entry into the series being terrible; save for, you know. Meandering around not knowing what to do and missing all the obtuse missable content because I'm terrible at reading Japanese. Also if you're playing the older games emulation doesn't really work that well with the weird Parts Collection releases they did. But! If you have a high tolerance for not knowing what you're doing/following guides or can read Japanese I highly recommend picking basically any of the games and having at it. The other GBA game, Navi, is incredibly similar in visual style and gameplay to the game we got in the west so it's pretty solid while 7, 8 and 9 follow on, mechanically, from DS: taking what it introduces to the franchise and refining it to be better. 1-5 are similar to the GBA games, but more simplified, lacking a lot of the animation and detail because they're on the gameboy and gameboy colour.

muike posted:

maybe someone who knows more than me can say something about it, but i keep seeing regular crossovers with popular things for the medabots mobile game

As a game franchise it never died in Japan and the games, for the most part, actually own and are really fun and I would kill to get them translated. Even the mobile game which is pretty heavy pay for power gacha poo poo. But it has megaman and bass from the battle network series! Unfortunately the banners are expensive and the game isn't f2p friendly, or at least it didn't feel that way as someone who didn't have any guides or anything to understand what was going on. IIRC the cool RPG we got, was a remake of like, the second game in Japan, which was made to celebrate the anime which was an adaptation of that game's story. A lot of the base mechanics tend to be similar, which is good because the base mechanics are really fun but every so often they add or remove new gimmicks and stuff like pokemon, but if you've played the GBA game, you'd know there's an absolute ton of dialogue and incredibly arbitrary npc flags and dialogue you need to do to trigger events and plot progression which makes them really annoying to translate so even among fans, it's pretty rare for groups to do more than just menu translations for them.

Some have been translated though, I think the first game on the gameboy and R for the PS1 have been fully translated, while the DS game, 3 and 4 are still vague works in progress. There's also a partial and menu translation that was somewhat recently updated for 9 though the people working on it have said they have no intention to do the story and it's still a slow work in progress. I think there might be other groups working on that as well but who knows, fan translation projects often die without a word or can take years (the Digimon Story Lost Evolution project finally finishing like, last year was a fun surprise).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The robots in Synduality are called Cradle Coffins.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wouldn't really call 86 mecha-'adjacent', at least not enough to compare it to Attack on Titan. The Juggernauts look different than other series have their robots look and are really lovely and dangerous, but it still follows a lot of story beats from shows before it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
https://twitter.com/voltesvlegacy/status/1661658409400238084?s=21 I'm looking at this and the new Voltes V in general, and its loving amazing how this show is being done and treating its source material as compared to like, Voltron Legendary Defender or Gen:LOCK Season 2. While those shows seemed embarrassed to be about giant robots and actively hated that part of themselves, Voltes V Legacy is instead embracing it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that's pretty darn classy, just watched a clip. Mecha is good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1663108194850447363?t=RuLjouNI9H6vYtUJhQAFzA&s=19

They had me at Masami Obari

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh, that is definitely not the sort of design i'd guess from that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Logo feels like it's from a totally different show than they imply too.