Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My wife left me because she's an NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Salt Fish posted:

My wife left me because she's an NPC.

her new boyfriend is a mini boss, proceed appropriately

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China is calling in loans. The arrogant fools. Africa will soon turn back to America.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PoundSand posted:

Can they claw back the ppp loans too it’d be funny.

That's like the exact opposite of what they're trying to do. If anything, they're going to make these cuts so they can prepare a new round of PPP equivalent loans for when we're finally officially in a recession.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Computer touchers are highly valued by society which results in high wages and an inflated ego. They get told every loving day that they are invaluable and their paycheck reflects it so at some point a whole bunch of them just jump to the logical conclusion of "if I am more valuable than most other people, I must be better and smarter than those people too!" and then they just come up with poo poo like that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

What does this even mean? Why do computer touchers think they are sociologists or psychologists?

Sociology isn't a real field and doesn't use quantitative analysis so anybody and everybody is a sociologist

Pretty insulting to name them in the same sentence as psychologists TBH

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Bluetooth headphones rule because you can set your phone down and move about unencumbered by it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i put my phone down and move away how will i continue to post

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

and yet I continue to rotate shapes

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

cnn taking its marching orders to ramp up the fear thru hyperbole:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Computer touchers are highly valued by society which results in high wages and an inflated ego. They get told every loving day that they are invaluable and their paycheck reflects it so at some point a whole bunch of them just jump to the logical conclusion of "if I am more valuable than most other people, I must be better and smarter than those people too!" and then they just come up with poo poo like that.

VCs aren’t computer touchers

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

blatman posted:

if i put my phone down and move away how will i continue to post

Voice-to-text :gary:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yanno, they've could've timed the faux fear better than heading into this get-out-of-school, massive-travel-days, holiday-weekend period.

and it's all going on while congress is on one of its multi-week vacations, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

pods hurt my delicate ears so I use an mpoww bluetooth headset that makes me look like an elderly princess leia.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

don’t forget that americas tax system is set up to reinforce that.
“I pay more in taxes than this entire house and that house and that one, in fact all those people could die and I would continue to carry the economy.”

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Higher earners should pay more taxes though, so what’s the alternative? Genuine question

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Communism.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Frosted Flake posted:

What does this even mean? Why do computer touchers think they are sociologists or psychologists?

Hadlock posted:

Sociology isn't a real field and doesn't use quantitative analysis so anybody and everybody is a sociologist

trap fuckin sprung, lmao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hadlock posted:

lol

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

i really wonder how much this phenomena is based on computer touchers going "hmmm googling computer things makes me better at computers than everyone, so surely this will work for all other subjects"

i think coding just gets to some peoples heads

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Hadlock posted:

how does it compare to iq tests

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hadlock posted:

my sociology class said marx was a sociologist so actually its part of the immortal science

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Brain damage

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

how has time ran out. how is there no time. you pick up the phone and call the federal reserve and have them scribble "one treeleeon dollars" on a sticky note and deposit it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

pods hurt my delicate ears so I use an mpoww bluetooth headset that makes me look like an elderly princess leia.

I think we have the same headphones. decent bass, and cheap as hell by comparison. mine have had the external foam coating worn off from sweat because I wear them mowing/walking and I still won’t replace them until they just die. it’s been like 4 years now, incredible value as far as headphones go.

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Oh drat outta options again, gotta take whatever deal republicans give us, can’t risk standing up for popular social programs

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Hadlock posted:

syq

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

and the dead shall rule us https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/dinanne-feinstein-resign-difi-ai-18107088.php

quote:

The fight over Dianne Feinstein’s future is a foolish waste of time.

Some Californians say our senior U.S. senator, who turns 90 next month, must step down as soon as possible so that Gov. Gavin Newsom can appoint a politician who is healthy and young enough to show up in person for all votes. Others say Feinstein was elected to the post and is the best judge of when she should leave.

This is a false choice — because we can give both sides what they want. We can make sure California is always represented in the Senate, while Feinstein can remain in the body for as long as she likes.

How?

Artificial intelligence.

Yes, we could create an artificial intelligence based on Feinstein. Call it DiFi AI.

And it could handle all the tasks of a senator’s job.

Fundraising? DiFi could reach more people in more places faster — and write less annoying email spam.

Legislation? An algorithm could introduce sensible gun-control legislation that doesn’t pass and do it faster than the human Feinstein.

Voting the party line? Your 12-year-old could build an AI to do that.

But why stop at handling official duties? A DiFi AI could solve political problems that elude the living, breathing Feinstein.

Right now, Gov. Newsom has to worry about the tricky politics of whom he might choose to replace Feinstein if she leaves early or dies; the AI spares him that choice.

In 2024, three Democratic contenders to replace Feinstein will raise millions of dollars to spend against one another — money that donors instead could devote to beating Republican candidates. Better for Democrats to unite behind the DiFi AI and avoid the costly internal warfare.

DiFi AI also could expand the power of democracy, in a historic way. Right now, we can only vote for representatives who are alive at the time the ballots are printed. But DiFi AI would allow Californians to keep Feinstein, or her algorithmic essence, in office long after she’s dead.

Yes, there will be knee-jerk objections to letting the dead represent the living, but those objections are easily dismissed. The U.S. is so good at killing people before their time — wars, gun violence, poor pandemic responses — that the dead could use more representation from their own.

Californians can hardly object to governance by ghosts. Today’s citizens do less governing of our state than ballot measures approved many decades ago — like 1978’s Proposition 13 — by electorates of voters who are mostly dead now.

Of course, there would be some technical challenges. Replacing a human senator with an AI of the same human senator doesn’t conform with the outdated rules of the Senate. But it wouldn’t be hard to convince senators to change those rules. U.S. senators have huge egos and think of themselves as indispensable. They also are old: The average age in the Senate is 64. An amendment making it possible for them to serve long after they’ve shuffled off this mortal coil might achieve rare bipartisan — even unanimous — passage.

Filling the Senate with AIs also might be good for the public discourse. After all, human senators are hard for constituents and reporters to get on the phone or text, but AI senators would only be a click away. Since AIs adapt to new information — unlike aging senators — AI politicians might be more accountable, too.

I’d benefit personally. Sen. Feinstein doesn’t talk to me — or many reporters — but, with some guidance from an AI-savvy friend, I recently asked the GPT-4 multimodal model, from Open AI, to pretend it was a 90-year-old senator from California facing questions from a “provocative California columnist” about whether she should leave office and who should replace her.

Here’s a portion of the AI-generated chat:

Columnist: Could an AI replace you?

Senator: Replace me? Well, that’s an intriguing idea. Can an AI understand the needs of the single mother in Fresno, or the plight of the immigrant family in San Diego? Can it empathize with the struggles of the small business owner in San Francisco? Can it sit across a table from a foreign leader and negotiate peace?

Columnist: Well, with advancements in technology, they could probably do all of that.

Senator: But there’s a difference between doing and understanding. It’s one thing to process data, quite another to feel the weight of human experiences. And politics, my dear columnist, is not just about decisions. It’s about the people behind those decisions. AI may have my knowledge, but it can’t have my heart.

I marveled at the savvy of this DiFi AI. She seemed to make the case for human emotions — without actually answering the question. And she didn’t count herself out of the race, either.

Could the human Feinstein do any better?

"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks." - Karl Marx

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

how has time ran out. how is there no time. you pick up the phone and call the federal reserve and have them scribble "one treeleeon dollars" on a sticky note and deposit it.

But have you considered that he doesn't want to.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
THE IMMORTAL RULE OF DIANNE FEINSTEIN, HAIL THE AI EMPEROR

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
ai trained on dianne feinstein refusing to give an answer for two months (it's pretending to be in the hospital)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Introducing your lovable AI Senator Numbers Feinstein

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Guy with Ukraine flag and neoliberal symbol in his twitter display name reacting to Cumtown:

Willa Rogers posted:

pods hurt my delicate ears

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Dead Vote! Somehow Feinstein has returned!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

UKJeff posted:

Higher earners should pay more taxes though, so what’s the alternative? Genuine question

im here to talk about the problems not to propose a solution

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

selec posted:

I think we have the same headphones. decent bass, and cheap as hell by comparison. mine have had the external foam coating worn off from sweat because I wear them mowing/walking and I still won’t replace them until they just die. it’s been like 4 years now, incredible value as far as headphones go.

:respek:

I also have these when I need to shut out the world, although the quality isn't as good (and I would NOT wear them mowing, lol). They're great for listening to rain-on-a-tent sounds tho.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

and the dead shall rule us https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/dinanne-feinstein-resign-difi-ai-18107088.php

"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks." - Karl Marx

The only reason we should make an immortal AI out of Feinstein is to be able to torture it forever.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AI DiFi actually makes more sense & is more lucid than irl DiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mycomancy posted:

The only reason we should make an immortal AI out of Feinstein is to be able to torture it forever.

quidproquo's basilisk