Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I’m thinking I’m gonna go Luxion purple into volupus pink into Baal red into imperial fist + white. Thanks gang!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I’m thinking I’m gonna go Luxion purple into volupus pink into Baal red into imperial fist + white. Thanks gang!

Is this referring to the drybrush blending video thing? If so I'd probably try and avoid using contrast paints for drybrushing. They might work but it'd be expensive to use them that way.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Threw together a test model for my 30k Emperor's Children from some old junk:

Messier than I like but the main thing was seeing if the purple and gold I picked out work together on a model before I started on a squad of ten tacticals.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

Threw together a test model for my 30k Emperor's Children from some old junk:

Messier than I like but the main thing was seeing if the purple and gold I picked out work together on a model before I started on a squad of ten tacticals.

love the zebra shoulder

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Winklebottom posted:

love the zebra shoulder

Yeah, it rules

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014

First try at highlighting, I feel it looks pretty decent.
1 down, 90% of the army left to go.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Douche Phoenix posted:

First try at highlighting, I feel it looks pretty decent.
1 down, 90% of the army left to go.

Looks good. I really like that color scheme, too.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

So after years of varnishing in all sorts of ridiculous conditions and humidities including rattle cans in -20C with zero issues, wondering what people are doing to get frosting I have finally been betrayed. Bizarrely it was a new bottle of Vallejo mecha Matt through the airbrush in completely ideal circumstances, so I can only assume the bottle is a bad batch which is annoying because it’s a 500ml.
:(

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
My sixth Chimera is done. "Castat" is by far the prettiest of them, I painted most of the others a long time ago (see below). I can finally run my mechanised platoon as intended, even if I have to steal a Chimera from my former Hardened Vets. :)

Future transports will probably be converted into Tauroxes, like this:

I really need to renumber that one, I painted it before the Chimera Command Vehicle ability was introduced. My platoon command squad is driving around in the only transport that they can't issue orders out of. :|

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Worked with a majority contrast paint paintjob for the first time, I'm pretty happy with how it came out but don't think I'd want to work with it on a larger scale. Alpha Legion boy ready for basing and the kill team.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Decorus posted:

My sixth Chimera is done.

Super gorgeous work.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I guess this figure is a... chibi winged unicorn Garnet from FFXI? Odd find, but I'm not unhappy with the paint job.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Lamuella posted:

I guess this figure is a... chibi winged unicorn Garnet from FFXI? Odd find, but I'm not unhappy with the paint job.

That’s Eiko from ff9

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Toebone posted:

That’s Eiko from ff9

You are correct. My brain had deleted that information in the 15 years since I played it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This took me like 3 weeks, my ASoIaF army is going to take a thousand years

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Count Thrashula posted:

This took me like 3 weeks, my ASoIaF army is going to take a thousand years

How do you think we got to warhammer 40,000. take your time, friend.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
a friend 3D printed for me a piece of terrain so I can try it out, I took it home and painted it:-

really impressed! I will definitely invest in a 3D printer to make terrain in the future! it's perfect for terrain and stuff! Painting it was fine too as long as you print a high quality model!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Al-Saqr posted:

a friend 3D printed for me a piece of terrain so I can try it out, I took it home and painted it:-

really impressed! I will definitely invest in a 3D printer to make terrain in the future! it's perfect for terrain and stuff! Painting it was fine too as long as you print a high quality model!

no ring

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

No ring? What does that mean?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Al-Saqr posted:

Jesus Christ

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Jesus Christ

Oh my god. Oh my god i just realized.

drat you all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I just saw this instead, because I am not a filthy pervert

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Eej posted:

Personally I just saw this instead, because I am not a filthy pervert

Lol i actually looked at that image for reference

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

If you pick up a printer, wait until after June 1st. Elegoo and Anycubic are launching their new lines next week through the 1st.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you pick up a printer, wait until after June 1st. Elegoo and Anycubic are launching their new lines next week through the 1st.

Dont worry im still a year away from making that sort of purchase

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I'm finally starting on painting up my various HeroQuest minis after a couple years, and one of the things I want to do is make the dragon from the Mythic Tier stuff really cool. Part of that is getting the various orbs that he has to get that glow from the inside, that nearly fluorescent sickly green glow. Now, I don't really want to start drilling things out and putting in lights, but I'm not sure how to go about getting that effect. Any suggestions?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Aniodia posted:

I'm finally starting on painting up my various HeroQuest minis after a couple years, and one of the things I want to do is make the dragon from the Mythic Tier stuff really cool. Part of that is getting the various orbs that he has to get that glow from the inside, that nearly fluorescent sickly green glow. Now, I don't really want to start drilling things out and putting in lights, but I'm not sure how to go about getting that effect. Any suggestions?

Consider Object Source Lighting

https://www.thearmypainter.com/advanced-techniques/paint/object-source-lighting/

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Unless you drill out and swap the orbs for something translucent I think OSL is your best bet. That might allow you to paint the orb "dark" while still allowing it to "light" it's surroundings.

You can't paint anything that looks like that picture on the surface of a sphere, at least not if you're supposed to view it from more than one angle.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Lamuella posted:

Consider Object Source Lighting

Decorus posted:

Unless you drill out and swap the orbs for something translucent I think OSL is your best bet. That might allow you to paint the orb "dark" while still allowing it to "light" it's surroundings.

Oh, true, I could use OSL to make it look lit from within. Didn't even consider it. And yeah, I don't really want to drill anything out, because the mini is part of HeroQuest's Mythic Tier release, which was only through the original Hasbro Pulse totally-not-kickstarter campaign, and isn't on ebay for anything less that $750 USD. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't spent that much on miniatures before, but I'd really not like to do something like that if I don't have to.

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN
I've gotten my current 4 armies up to 1500-2k+ points painted, so I did the rational thing and started building and painting a 5th army.

I got over 2k worth of 'crons on-sprue from a buddy for $150 so I really just had to.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

khazadum posted:

I've gotten my current 4 armies up to 1500-2k+ points painted, so I did the rational thing and started building and painting a 5th army.

I got over 2k worth of 'crons on-sprue from a buddy for $150 so I really just had to.

Love the colour scheme on these.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh, you sweet summer child.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Those necrons are great. Fantastic colors.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is the Badger 105 a reasonable first air brush for primer and base coat?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Definitely, and I got some good details out of its super fine needle as well. They're also often on sale, so worth checking when the next might be

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ropes4u posted:

Is the Badger 105 a reasonable first air brush for primer and base coat?

The vendor is falling out of favor, but that's an excellent starter airbrush. Source: that's what I use. It's excellent for your intended use, and you'll be able to do a lot more detail work than you think. With a properly thinned paint at around 10psi you will have a lot of control and a very fine spray area. Just practice on some scrap cardboard or keep a cheap model around to try things out on.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I actually like my cheap starter Master airbrush more than my Patriot. The 105 is a pain in the rear end to clean.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Also don’t get the 105 with the exposed needle, it’s a trap not being able to easily back flow

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeast posted:

Also don’t get the 105 with the exposed needle, it’s a trap not being able to easily back flow

That's valid, but the work around I've found is to just tilt it back a bit, pull the needle back, then hit the air. I'll admit that hard to coordinate at first and I'll still poke my finger when I let go wrong sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got my Redemptor underway;

Not sure I've been doing the best techniques for a vehicle, unsure about how to apply shade over flat panels. But it seems okay and am glad I stuck to avoiding metallics and just did the frame grey.