Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Invalido posted:

People who want their exhaust parts to last for a long time and look nice and shiny tend to spring for stainless. Aluminized is like galvanized (which uses zink) in that it's a thin corrosion inhibiting coating on the surface of otherwise mild steel which will rust given a chance, the coating is meant to slow the process down but it won't stop it completely for very long. Stainless is usually noticeably more expensive since it's a pricier material and a little more difficult to work with. If I had to replace mufflers on my shitbox and there was no price difference I'd probably go with the stainless because it's fancier. On my car it wouldn't matter because it will probably be in the junkyard before any newly replaced exhaust bits need replacement again. I don't know how you feel about your Golf.

Worth noting, Walker aluminized is total trash, at least in the rust belt, I have never had one part from that product line last over 3 years before it was in tatters and most only lasted 2.

I would rather fab a whole stainless exhaust on my back in the dirt again than ever buy anything Walker calls aluminized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Hadlock posted:

How do you measure CFM of a head

What do you mean? Like gas flow through a cylinder head?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes? It changes by RPM apparently

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It sure does. If you ignore the fact that there's fires in the cylinders which causes gas expansion, gas flow through your valves will be your cylinder displacement multiplied by your RPM, or near enough (divided by two if it's a four stroke I guess?). There's pumping losses that increase with RPM so it isn't totally linear in reality.
E: This is only true at wide open throttle on a gas engine, more true for diesels. Oh and forced induction is a thing too. It's complicated. If you want to measure gas flow I guess a pitot tube or similar in the headers could give you exhaust velocity and then you just multiply by area of the pipe to get an actual number that will be true for that particular operating condition.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 21, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I've seen them mentioned here before, but don't know what term to use to search out the posts.

I found a small, maybe 2-3mm chip in the paint on the hood of my Spark. I'd like to fix it, mostly so it doesn't expand. Aren't there little matching paint pens that are worth a poo poo? Trying to google it brings up an amount of advertising bullshit that's hard to parse.

I'm fine if it isn't perfect. But if I can get it close to the right color, that would be cool.

I think Chevy calls the 2013 paint, "Silver Ice Metallic."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Log posted:

I've seen them mentioned here before, but don't know what term to use to search out the posts.

I found a small, maybe 2-3mm chip in the paint on the hood of my Spark. I'd like to fix it, mostly so it doesn't expand. Aren't there little matching paint pens that are worth a poo poo? Trying to google it brings up an amount of advertising bullshit that's hard to parse.

I'm fine if it isn't perfect. But if I can get it close to the right color, that would be cool.

Yeah, most decent auto parts stores should be able to hook you up with a paint pen or a little bottle with a tiny brush to fill it in.

Hadlock posted:

Flow bench.

https://superflow.com/products/flowbenches/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kastein posted:

Worth noting, Walker aluminized is total trash, at least in the rust belt, I have never had one part from that product line last over 3 years before it was in tatters and most only lasted 2.

I would rather fab a whole stainless exhaust on my back in the dirt again than ever buy anything Walker calls aluminized.

well gently caress

The ANSA parts are all aluminized, the Walker front muffler appears to be aluminized while the rear is stainless. AFAIK, best practice is that these aren't rly interchangeable and are meant to go with their own respective manufacturer parts, right? Like, a tube is a tube and plenty of ppl have just replaced the rear or front with whatever their muffler shop of choice carried, so the idea of parts incompatibility seems absurd to my gut instinct, but also I don't want to place a $200 order and then show up at the shop with both of these and be told that they're incompatible somehow

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 21, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Captain Log posted:

Dealer is gonna have an actual match. It won’t be perfect but it’ll be closer than anything you get at the auto parts store. Follow the prep directions carefully if there are any.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hadlock posted:

You need a machine called a flow bench.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh interesting, I found this article where they're using a vacuum cleaner and a manometer in the spark plug hole and calibrate using 1/4" holes

https://www.musclecardiy.com/cylinder-heads/build-flow-bench-port-flow-testing-cylinder-heads-part-3/

I guess part two of this question is, how much less efficient are flathead engines at low rpm than overhead valve engines? The trick part of this question is that the two valves in a flathead are actually wider than the piston because there's no limitation of that type when the valve is in the block. I feel like under ~2500rpm the flow is probably pretty comparable and then you run into issues as the increased valve mass fucks with valve acceleration and valve float somewhere north of 4500 RPM which seems to be near the redline for most flathead engines

A lot of flathead engines Siamese the exhaust ports which causes different problems but unrelated to the core design issue at stake

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm looking at replacing my water pump on my 09 Pontiac Vibe. I watched two videos on the process, in one the replacement water pump used a paper gasket and in the other it used an o-ring that fit into a grove on the water pump. The water pump I got doesn't use either of those two, instead it has a notched o-ring. The pump itself has no grove and is too large to fit into the depressed area on the pump. Does it just go directly into the opening in the engine block? Before I lift the car up and start draining and removing stuff, I wanted to be sure I knew how exactly it was supposed to be installed.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AISWPT140

edit - never mind, the two videos I watched were for the 2.4L. Found a 1.8L video and its clear

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 21, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What are some of the lowest max speed speedometers? I was looking at a 2016 Wrangler that goes to 100.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
85 was pretty common till around 2000.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

phosdex posted:

What are some of the lowest max speed speedometers? I was looking at a 2016 Wrangler that goes to 100.

I would not in any situation want to do 100 mph in a Wrangler.

In the early 80s they could only have 85mph speedometers. Companies like ford got.....creative.

Companies like Chevy not so much.

Most JDM stuff only goes to 180kph.

This is an R34 GT-R

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powershift posted:

I would not in any situation want to do 100 mph in a Wrangler.

In the early 80s they could only have 85mph speedometers. Companies like ford got.....creative.

Companies like Chevy not so much.

Most JDM stuff only goes to 180kph.

This is an R34 GT-R

And the movies got oddly creative, too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

As if everything else with this crown Vic isn't bad enough, something has crawled into my AC and died. The smell is strong when it starts then lowers over time. I took a look under the hood and at the front but I don't see any corpses hanging out. I don't know where to go from here other than getting an air freshener until it stops rotting.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have a set of replica BBS wheels one of which is cracked and I want to get rid of them, what's the best way of going about this? I thought about just throwing them up on Craigslist for $50 if someone comes and picks them up but idk if there are issues with selling a cracked rim, obviously I would make this clear in the ad.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

As if everything else with this crown Vic isn't bad enough, something has crawled into my AC and died. The smell is strong when it starts then lowers over time. I took a look under the hood and at the front but I don't see any corpses hanging out. I don't know where to go from here other than getting an air freshener until it stops rotting.

I think I know, but does it have a cabin air filter? If it does, you should try peeking around there. Seen a few nests get built right on top of them. If it doesn’t, it probably would be a matter of looking and trying to find where they got in and/or where their nest is. It is not a fun problem in the least.

Popete posted:

I have a set of replica BBS wheels one of which is cracked and I want to get rid of them, what's the best way of going about this? I thought about just throwing them up on Craigslist for $50 if someone comes and picks them up but idk if there are issues with selling a cracked rim, obviously I would make this clear in the ad.

Disclosure of the problem is more important than anything. You might have a secondhand tire store that would take them in too. You could also just scrap it if you’re worried about getting sued.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
something made some bedding material out of the insulation near the passenger side firewall on my CV when it was sitting a while.

mmm...hot rat pee smell for days...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Open all the windows, park the car and then run the heat on high until the something gets mummified

Subscribe to my newsletter for more hot tips

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nitsuga posted:

I think I know, but does it have a cabin air filter? If it does, you should try peeking around there. Seen a few nests get built right on top of them. If it doesn’t, it probably would be a matter of looking and trying to find where they got in and/or where their nest is. It is not a fun problem in the least.

According to Google, the 2005 Crown Vic does not have a cabin air filter. The inlet under the hood requires the windshield wipers to be removed to access but I took a look and didn't see anything obvious.

Hadlock posted:

Open all the windows, park the car and then run the heat on high until the something gets mummified

Subscribe to my newsletter for more hot tips

:shepface:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Might wanna see if you can get to your blower motor.

Edit: Looks pretty simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eau7hCuuJ8

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

According to Google, the 2005 Crown Vic does not have a cabin air filter. The inlet under the hood requires the windshield wipers to be removed to access but I took a look and didn't see anything obvious.

:shepface:

You should have a drain under your evaporator to carry off condensate. They get blocked. You get one leaf in there, and it'll rot, and smell like some animal is going juicy on you.

I have a rain barrel I use in the summer. When I drain it for the fall, the smell would knock a buzzard off a shitwagon.

Oh, yeah: Check the drains over the cowling at the firewall. Remove the plastic grilles under the wipers that are your fresh-air intake. There are a couple of tubs there that are supposed to catch windshield runoff & drain it away behind your wheels. They block easily & no one ever checks them. Once blocked, the passenger-side one will eventually overflow nasty rotten mung into your airbox where the A/C evaporator lives.

I just cleaned out this area on a neighbor's newly-acquired '09 Forester. There was so much dirt, mung & mud accumulated in there, it was supporting an ant colony. I'll try to upload the video.

E; here we go
https://i.imgur.com/NhA8YVg.mp4

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 23, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Only fire will cure that.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^ Jesus...

Anyway, no 2023 AC thread? I'm thinking how I should go about diagnosing my E39's AC system without wasting too much money. Going in for an "AC service" is about $100-$150, so I'd like to avoid eating that just to have them say "doesn't hold a vacuum". I bought a vacuum pump and pressure guage and hoses (need it to test other cars as well), but I also tried pushing the connector for AC media and there was media coming out. So the system isn't empty. Looking in INPA, the pressure sensor voltage is low (like 0.4V or something), which would indicate that the system is low on gas. I can't get INPA to manually engage the compressor clutch. I also have a problem getting the aux fan to engage (which is associated with the AC). Some people say the AC won't engage if the aux fan isn't working, and some say it doesn't matter. I got no fault codes. INPA registers me pushing the AC button, so there shouldn't be a problem with the switch (which is a thing on E39's apparently), and the interior temperature sensor is accurate.

If I could just get the compressor to engage, I'd know the electrics and compressor is fine. The aux fan might be a factor, but other than that it must be a case of the system being low (but not empty). Can the system be at a low enough pressure to no leak, but still not empty itself?

VVV: Dammit I looked and looked. I'm blind. Thanks!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 23, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970674

Time keeps on slippin slippin slippin

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

phosdex posted:

Those microcars that count as mopeds here in Europe might be a contender, can't find any good pics but is seems like some of them only go to about 60-70 km/h (they're only allowed to go 45 km/h). There's also the mildly terrifying Amica A50 (imagine a Reliant Robin, but smaller and powered by a 50 cc scooter engine) which is even slower, the speedo looks like it tops out at 50 km/h, and the legal top speed is 30 km/h (but it's also legal to drive it on bike paths lol).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When I lived in Europe in the 70's, certain Mobylette mopeds had an accessory body you could install around the seat to keep the rain (mostly) out. Looked like a tube & canvas tent, with plastic curtain side windows, and a thin Plexiglas windscreen sporting a hand-operated wiper. No.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How much would I expect to pay a mechanic for spark plug or ignition coil replacement? The coils themselves seemed very pricey but I also don't have the tools for spark plug replacement to do it myself so would need to get some.

If I decide to replace the spark plugs myself, I'll need some kind of extender to turn them and I guess a magnetic extender to pull them out, plus the cost of the plugs themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011CV8ZAM/ according to this ancient youtube video

I foolishly said ok once to "help diagnose the issue" on a v6 once and it was about $800 after all the parts markup and labor. So a v8 could be more.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The rubber on the outside of one of my car windows has turned to goo.

What is this piece called? How do I order it and replace it?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Black Exterior Window Molding Strip Honda Odyssey

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Chunjee posted:

Black Exterior Window Molding Strip Honda Odyssey Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

honda whisperer posted:

If you can wait 2-3 days rock auto is where to get parts. They'll crush AutoZone and be legit.

And you get to collect magnets!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

canyoneer posted:

The rubber on the outside of one of my car windows has turned to goo.

What is this piece called? How do I order it and replace it?

What car is this piece actually on? Your image of the goop and the image you circled are different vehicles, or at least different years which changes what that part is actually called. What year is your presumed Odyssey?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I've got this engine hoist that came for free with a couch I bought from a dude ten years ago. It was working fine and helped get the 302 and T5 out of my old mustang, but hasn't been used in a few years and seems like the seals dried out or something cause it won't build pressure anymore.

Anyone have recommendations for rebuilding the jack portion, or is it not really worth bothering with since I could just buy one from harbor freight for under $300?

I'll likely use it at least three more times. To pull the PRV and trans out of the Volvo, to get the 302 back on to the engine stand, and then to put the trans/engine into the Volvo. Doubt I'll need it again after that assuming everything doesn't need to come right back out of the Volvo because I put it in backwards or something. I don't really mind spending the $300 for another one, but I would like to just rebuild the current one if it's possible to detach the jack portion and take it somewhere that can reseal it or whatever, I would assume there are places like that around.

Images for reference.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KakerMix posted:

What car is this piece actually on? Your image of the goop and the image you circled are different vehicles, or at least different years which changes what that part is actually called. What year is your presumed Odyssey?

The actual vehicle is an 06 Odyssey

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

canyoneer posted:

The actual vehicle is an 06 Odyssey

Honda part 73475SHJA01 it looks like:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~molding~73475-shj-a01.html

Now I don't know what is actually involved with installing it but the part itself is inexpensive, or at least I think so.

I use https://partsouq.com/ all the time for cars I import from Japan, but it works for US domestic cars too. You should be able to put in your VIN and get your specific VAN to show all its parts and things, but even so that part is probably the same across all odysseys of that generation. I just picked a 2006 model, here is the link to what I swiped the pictures from

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 24, 2023

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cached Money posted:

Those microcars that count as mopeds here in Europe might be a contender, can't find any good pics but is seems like some of them only go to about 60-70 km/h (they're only allowed to go 45 km/h). There's also the mildly terrifying Amica A50 (imagine a Reliant Robin, but smaller and powered by a 50 cc scooter engine) which is even slower, the speedo looks like it tops out at 50 km/h, and the legal top speed is 30 km/h (but it's also legal to drive it on bike paths lol).

45mph

40mph

35mph

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

And you get to collect magnets!

I got no magnets with my past 3 orders, fuckin sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sir Tonk posted:

I've got this engine hoist that came for free with a couch I bought from a dude ten years ago. It was working fine and helped get the 302 and T5 out of my old mustang, but hasn't been used in a few years and seems like the seals dried out or something cause it won't build pressure anymore.

Anyone have recommendations for rebuilding the jack portion, or is it not really worth bothering with since I could just buy one from harbor freight for under $300?

I'll likely use it at least three more times. To pull the PRV and trans out of the Volvo, to get the 302 back on to the engine stand, and then to put the trans/engine into the Volvo. Doubt I'll need it again after that assuming everything doesn't need to come right back out of the Volvo because I put it in backwards or something. I don't really mind spending the $300 for another one, but I would like to just rebuild the current one if it's possible to detach the jack portion and take it somewhere that can reseal it or whatever, I would assume there are places like that around.

Images for reference.

You can usually buy just the cylinder - at least one of my friends did years ago because I long term lent him my engine hoist since it was less useful on dirt than it was in his shop. But had been stored outdoors for so long that the piston had rusted and torn up the seals. I think a new cylinder was like 50 bucks, just make sure you get the right one. Length collapsed+extended and mounting hole diameter at each end are about all you need to check.