Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stop fighting it Greg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

he's not dead, The Sourcerer is just miffed because Mr. Egan was supposed to meet for an interview half an hour ago

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These authors keep defying the thread title, it's quite disrespectful.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBJCJE/

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVR6C8/

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

pradmer posted:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBJCJE/

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVR6C8/

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is such a wild book, a very Philip K Dick experience.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chainclaw posted:

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is such a wild book, a very Philip K Dick experience.

It's an absolute GOAT title, too

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Did you get to the part where they find a can of coke yet?

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I don't have search. Can someone give me a link to the recent chatter in this thread about Blindsight by Peter Watts? I think it was a month or two ago?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ccubed posted:

I don't have search. Can someone give me a link to the recent chatter in this thread about Blindsight by Peter Watts? I think it was a month or two ago?

690s

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Let me recommend The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah to everybody. Just an incredible story, well written and a great setting. The authors handles the mysteries and the foreshadowing of these extremely well. The interaction of the 4 travelers is another positive as well, with none of them being able to trust the others. Easily the best fantasy books I've read in a long time.

The drawback is that it's only the first book of a trilogy. The second book is apparently scheduled for November 2023.

Some other quick reviews of the fantasy books I read this year:
- The Black Coast -> cool idea(s), but the execution was a bit too slow for my tastes and the different stories don't interact well.
- An Unkindness of Magicians -> a book that I really enjoyed but not sure whether I'll read the sequel. The setting reminded me of Naomi's Novik's scholomance trilogy, but without the quirky protagonist and the romance.
- The Curse of Mistwraith -> as I mentioned in the specific thread I liked the first half but hated the last part so much I won't continue this.
- Small Miracles -> SPFBO 2023 winner. I loved it as well, despite it being different from what I expected. It's a very whimsical, funny, uplifting story.
- Tuyo -> Eh, didn't like it much, too predictable and contrived.
- Nettle & Bone -> Great, nice self contained story with a good dog.
- Aching God -> Good, I understand why some people rave about this, but not entirely my cup of tea.
- The Tombs of Atuan -> It's Ursula Le Guin, of course it's great. An example of a well written fantasy book.
- Into The Labyrinth (+ sequels) -> I enjoyed this enough that I read all books in this mage errant series. This is something I'd recommend to people who like stuff like Cradle.
- Shadow and Bone -> Eh, didn't like it much. Still ended up reading the second book in the series, but that's about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solaris ever explain why the robots were in storage aside from the ones in the docking bay. I assume because of the guests presence, but I must've missed the specifics.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

fez_machine posted:

It's only getting started, Diaspora has a lot of ideas

Christ you weren't kidding. That was....something. Honestly the ending was pretty anti-climactic though. Would have preferred something different but overall it was a good read. I haven't read anything that out there in a while so it was refreshing. What other Greg Egan books do y'all recommend?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

NmareBfly posted:

No audio book for ship of fools, darn. Maybe stars are legion? Oh what's this?

Aaand credit spent. Thanks, thread!

Ahh, Stars Are Legion

:allears:

Hurley's stuff is always a)very queer b)very violent

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Christ you weren't kidding. That was....something. Honestly the ending was pretty anti-climactic though. Would have preferred something different but overall it was a good read. I haven't read anything that out there in a while so it was refreshing. What other Greg Egan books do y'all recommend?

The Best of Greg Egan is a really good overview of his short works.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Quarantine is my favorite of his earlier novels - not so extreme with the physics, but still out-there. I recommend his story collection Axiomatic, as it contains my favorite short of his, “The Safe-Deposit Box.”

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If I wanted to read the Mabinogion and whatever the definitive collection of Irish mythology is, whose translations into English should I be looking at?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

If I wanted to read the Mabinogion and whatever the definitive collection of Irish mythology is, whose translations into English should I be looking at?

Lady Gregory's Complete Irish Mythology, the one with the introduction by W.B. Yeats. A quick google tells me that it's quite expensive for no good reason though so you might want to get the volumes separately, as it's a compilation of her two books "Gods and Fighting Men" and "Cuchulain of Muirthemne."

https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/index.htm is also a good place to start looking.

I'm not sure which translation of the Mabinogion is best.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 21, 2023

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kestral posted:

Back when I was studying Medieval Welsh for electives in grad school (I needed fun classes), I used the Penguin Classic as both my crib and for reading the rest of the texts that we weren't covering in the classes. Granted, this was decades ago and I haven't kept up, so I can't say whether better is on the market these days, but IIRC our prof recommended that edition.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Kestral posted:

Lady Gregory’s collection is effectively the definitive collection of Irish mythology and is freely available online through the likes of Gutenberg. The recent print editions by New Island are very nice but as HA said, not cheap depending on where you’re getting them.

That said, she was writing at a particular time and in a particular context so while these are the versions of the story most 20th c. discussion of the myths refers to, they’re a bit sanitised. No discussion of Cu Chulain literally squeezing the poo poo out of a guy in a bear hug (though this guy recovered and was one of the very few to face him and live) or of how one of the notable attributes of the Dagda, the chief god, being his short tunic and huge hairy rear end.

Moreover her style is… it’s weird. It’s extremely flowery Victorian, which can come off as attractively stiff and arch sometimes in a Jack Vance way, but also trying for a certain kind of Irish voice. Sometimes that works, sometimes it strays into an elaborate stage Irishness. She was (upper class Protestant ascendency) Irish herself but it came from trying to write in the voice of the pure noble-hearted romantic rural Gael, or whatever. The kind of approach Synge and O’Brien parodied later.

The best approach would be to try out one of the free online versions and see if her style works for you. Otherwise, you might find Over Nine Waves better, by Marie Heaney, wife of Seamus and a notable editor in her own right. It was consciously trying to be an update to Gregory as a ‘go to’ collection and it’s a lot more readable imo, if a bit stripped down.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I agree with Lady Gregory and the Penguin Classics version of the Mabinogion.

Evangeline Walton's adaptations of the four main books of the Mabinogion (Prince of Annwn, The Children of Llyr, The Song of Rhiannon, The Island of the Mighty) are excellent and worth seeking out, but they're novelizations, not direct translations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Penguin Classics in general are really solid. If I'm ever reading something that wasn't originally written in English, I'll see if I can get a Penguin Classics first.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8SR2O/

Notes from the Burning Age by Claire North - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZV3TMJ/

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

D-Pad posted:

Permutation City, and Distress

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Penguin Classics Mabinogion it is!

Checked out the Lady Gregory version on Gutenberg and the style works great for me:

Gods and Fighting Men posted:

It was in a mist the Tuatha de Danaan, the people of the gods of Dana, or as some called them, the Men of Dea, came through the air and the high air to Ireland.

It was from the north they came; and in the place they came from they had four cities, where they fought their battle for learning: great Falias, and shining Gorias, and Finias, and rich Murias that lay to the south. And in those cities they had four wise men to teach their young men skill and knowledge and perfect wisdom: Senias in Murias; and Arias, the fair-haired poet, in Finias; and Urias of the noble nature in Gorias; and Morias in Falias itself. And they brought from those four cities their four treasures: a Stone of Virtue from Falias, that was called the Lia Fail, the Stone of Destiny; and from Gorias they brought a Sword; and from Finias a Spear of Victory; and from Murias the fourth treasure, the Cauldron that no company ever went away from unsatisfied.

Hell yeah. I'm a Silmarillion / Lord of Light guy, give me all of this. That said, re: what GhastlyBizness said about sanitization --

GhastlyBizness posted:

That said, she was writing at a particular time and in a particular context so while these are the versions of the story most 20th c. discussion of the myths refers to, they’re a bit sanitised. No discussion of Cu Chulain literally squeezing the poo poo out of a guy in a bear hug (though this guy recovered and was one of the very few to face him and live) or of how one of the notable attributes of the Dagda, the chief god, being his short tunic and huge hairy rear end.

The best approach would be to try out one of the free online versions and see if her style works for you. Otherwise, you might find Over Nine Waves better, by Marie Heaney, wife of Seamus and a notable editor in her own right. It was consciously trying to be an update to Gregory as a ‘go to’ collection and it’s a lot more readable imo, if a bit stripped down.

Are there go-to texts for getting the least-sanitized versions possible? I dearly love the parts of mythology and folklore that are just bizarre to modern sensibilities, and part of my interest in Irish mythology in particular is that from what little I know of it, it seems chock-full of that stuff! I'd love to get as much of the Old Weirdness as possible. Does Over Nine Waves fit with that, or should I be looking elsewhere?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Julian May's exiles series is basically "what if Celtic mythology but psychic space elves' and it's utterly bonkers and a lot of fun. The many colored land is the first one if you want to look it up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GhastlyBizness posted:

Lady Gregory’s collection is effectively the definitive collection of Irish mythology and is freely available online through the likes of Gutenberg. The recent print editions by New Island are very nice but as HA said, not cheap depending on where you’re getting them.

Moreover her style is… it’s weird. It’s extremely flowery Victorian, which can come off as attractively stiff and arch sometimes in a Jack Vance way, but also trying for a certain kind of Irish voice. Sometimes that works, sometimes it strays into an elaborate stage Irishness. She was (upper class Protestant ascendency) Irish herself but it came from trying to write in the voice of the pure noble-hearted romantic rural Gael, or whatever. The kind of approach Synge and O’Brien parodied later.

Sounds like I need a copy of Over Nine Waves.

I'm a big fan of Evangeline Walton's re-imagining also.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sebmojo posted:

Julian May's exiles series is basically "what if Celtic mythology but psychic space elves' and it's utterly bonkers and a lot of fun. The many colored land is the first one if you want to look it up.
excuse me I think you mean 1982 hugo "best novel" nominee The Many-Colored Land

(it's actually pretty good but I bought it mostly ironically expecting to hate it)

(also that was a drat strong year, the slate was that, Downbelow Station (won), Claw of the Conciliator, Project Pope (which is funny if not actively great), and some book I've never heard of called Little, Big)

mdemone posted:

Permutation City, and Distress
Seconding Permutation City. Really loved the end.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

…and some book I've never heard of called Little, Big

Wow, this gave me flashbacks just seeing the title! I’ve read this but only have vague memories of a magical realism type book.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah that whole series is an extremely good time albeit with a number of uh problematic elements to 2023 eyes

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

newts posted:

Wow, this gave me flashbacks just seeing the title! I’ve read this but only have vague memories of a magical realism type book.

It’s about faeries in the classic sense and is incredibly well written. LeGuin tier prose.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Kestral posted:

Are there go-to texts for getting the least-sanitized versions possible? I dearly love the parts of mythology and folklore that are just bizarre to modern sensibilities, and part of my interest in Irish mythology in particular is that from what little I know of it, it seems chock-full of that stuff! I'd love to get as much of the Old Weirdness as possible. Does Over Nine Waves fit with that, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Eh, kind of? It doesn’t completely gloss over it but it’s sort of matter of fact. Completely get what you mean about that weirdness though. You might like ‘Ireland’s Immortals’, it’s more of a study of the history of how Irish mythology has been thought of and interpreted over the centuries, and touches on the weirdness.

You might also like Ciaran Carson’s penguin classics translation of the Táin, keeps in all the black humour and ultraviolence. Also there’s a bit where the footnotes discuss the homoerotic qualities of the relationship between friends/bedmates/deadly rivals Cu Chulainn and Ferdia. Cu Chulainn’s famous spear is the Gae Bolg and the translator muses on how, in the context, perhaps it could be considered more of a “Gay Bulge”, if u will

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished up Drew Hayes posthumous education, the latest book in the Fred series. Had no idea it had even come out. Good read though. Read like a whole book instead of the multiple short story feel some of his books have.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Little, Big

Little, Big owns

John Crowley is a very good writer

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

GhastlyBizness posted:

Eh, kind of? It doesn’t completely gloss over it but it’s sort of matter of fact. Completely get what you mean about that weirdness though. You might like ‘Ireland’s Immortals’, it’s more of a study of the history of how Irish mythology has been thought of and interpreted over the centuries, and touches on the weirdness.

You might also like Ciaran Carson’s penguin classics translation of the Táin, keeps in all the black humour and ultraviolence. Also there’s a bit where the footnotes discuss the homoerotic qualities of the relationship between friends/bedmates/deadly rivals Cu Chulainn and Ferdia. Cu Chulainn’s famous spear is the Gae Bolg and the translator muses on how, in the context, perhaps it could be considered more of a “Gay Bulge”, if u will

I'm sold on both of these, but since I especially love access to translator notes and also black humor, ultraviolence, and gay bulges, I'm extra-sold on Carson's version. Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kestral posted:

Penguin Classics Mabinogion it is!

Checked out the Lady Gregory version on Gutenberg and the style works great for me:

Hell yeah. I'm a Silmarillion / Lord of Light guy, give me all of this. That said, re: what GhastlyBizness said about sanitization --

If you don't mind graphic novels and you don't mind playing fast and loose with the material, check out Slaine by Pat Mills. It's original stories set against the backdrop of both Irish and Welsh mythology, which it quotes frequently. There's nothing quite as weird as the harper who called his instrument to him in battle and it slew seven men as it came (and he thought it not too many), but it's really good stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fez_machine posted:

Little, Big owns

John Crowley is a very good writer

The name rang a bell so I looked him up and he wrote Engine Summer! I loving loved Engine Summer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

The name rang a bell so I looked him up and he wrote Engine Summer! I loving loved Engine Summer.

I can put in a good word for his Aegypt books (The Solitudes, Love & Sleep, Daemonomania, Endless Things) as well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
well I accidentally found myself a bunch of recommendations with that post then :shobon:

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
At this point nobody probably cares anymore but Patrick Rothfuss has a new book coming out. No, of course it’s not the Kingkiller Chronicles sequel but yet another side character spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Started Eon by Greg Bear for the first time and the Naderite reveal was *chef's kiss* Got a big chuckle out of me.