Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

mutata posted:

You have the population en masse coming emailing you about your cars and why did you make the car have 4 wheels what are you a loving idiot don't you know that the only way to do cars is 3 wheels why can't you make cars with 3 wheels, are you stupid? Here's a photograph of your house, you loving rear end in a top hat, I know your address now.

Sorry, but I've seen the pipeline a lot over the years. A game publisher makes a corporate decision like any company, gamers get mad online, gamers literally make up reasons to be mad about poo poo they don't understand, and then game devs get harassed and threatened PERSONALLY. And no, I'm not accusing specific individuals in this thread of that, but it's literally this same process every time, and that process is playing out in this thread. I'm gonna keep posting about it because it's the only dopamine I get these days, I guess.

Edit: To address your comments more directly, yes I am saying that "lol they worked on OW2 for a long time, they're such idiots. Not like Nintendo!" is NOT a legitimate criticism and is in fact part of the above cycle. So sure, some complaints and criticisms are legitimate. Many are not. Many also feed into a machine that propagates abuse because 'where my video game?!'

:shrug: The contrast just struck me between how enormous a game can be made in a similar timeline, while blizzard is so poorly managed that they couldn't even push out a handful of levels worth of content. To be clear, I am not under the impression that the game devs are just bad or slow or whatever and I assume this is corporate's fault in the big picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah it was an offhand Tears of the Kingdom burn somebody else made. :haw:

It's funny that a company that does bad crunch and has some hit and miss views on things like online game design, lots of misses on emulation views and so on can still stand tall compared to the guys looting and pillaging their own company for business profits who steal breastmilk. And I do think Nintendo's attitude of "game is done when it's done" is a breath of fresh air the way the rest of the AAA field is cannibalizing itself.

mutata, I agree that gamers go too far with what should just be having a laugh at Blizzard(or Acti-Blizzard) the company for tripping over their own clown shoes. In this case the anger is extra satisfying because it's justified. A lot of gamers act vile but I wouldn't call them entitled or "want video game" in the instance where the developer said all the stuff they own-goaled over while lying to their fanbase in order to... well, what has OW2 accomplished that wouldn't have fit into OW1 as regular content patches(heroes, maps, skins?)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Maybe Blizzard is actually the good guy, here, for not shipping their product to the entitled racist homophobe gamers, did you ever consider that?

Thank goodness for Bobby Kotick,

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Endorph posted:

the alternative is something that is racist and homophobic but also incoherent in this instance

I would rather have obviously incoherent ramblings from someone whose post or review can be safely disregarded than someone who knows how to present bad faith in a way that garners support. You know, the people who play the victim after getting their "reasonable" dogwhistles deleted and then others message them going "hey man I gotta say I agree with you on XYZ" and get invited to some Nazi gamer discord or Steam group. It happens *all the time*.

I'd probably extend my original sentiment to include all first-party channels and reddits because they're mostly cesspits with few exceptions. I realize there's some confirmation bias here since I've had to be on the other side of those comments and wade through brown seas, but I don't think this is a fringe belief within gaming, especially with more studios having to release statements begging their players to stop sending death threats to the devs

Edit: I feel like I'm derailing now so I should probably digress, but at the end of the day I do believe the way players and developers communicate is fundamentally broken and the whole concept of "live service" games with short dev cycles is not working anymore. I just wanna work on cool poo poo that I and others have fun with in a lovely and uncertain world but nope we're stuck in a capitalist hellscape and are beholden to be a business and make money for execs and their shareholder bedmates. It's infuriating, and getting blasted from both the company and their customers is why so many devs are burning out and leaving to go do their own indie passion projects or leave the scene altogether.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 20, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
What the hell are you talking about, man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

novaSphere posted:

I would rather have obviously incoherent ramblings from someone whose post or review can be safely disregarded
well good news man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just thought it was funny how incoherent customer review sites are what are you going on at me about

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

By the way, did you guys see that new Twitch Prime drop? I dont have the tweet but its just Beachwear D.Va with no sandals.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
breaking out the bare feet to placate the fanbase, the only thing that can make up for no PvE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

By the way, did you guys see that new Twitch Prime drop? I dont have the tweet but its just Beachwear D.Va with no sandals.
theyve figured out how to turn public opinion around

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Endorph posted:

theyve figured out how to turn public opinion around

Works for some animators, so why not the source?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's really not even a games thing, it's a people on the internet suck and anonymity does really insane things to people issue. until people are actually getting big charges or think there's even a 1% chance that they get caught for sending death threats or other creepy poo poo to people online, that stuff isn't stopping or changing. that poo poo is an issue across industries, politics, activists, even athletes.

IDK what that realistically has to do with people here in this thread rolling their eyes at yet another bizarre move from blizzard. or not bizarre, but from the context of the ~information space~ that they themselves created deliberately it's a seemingly inexplicable move, made more ridiculous by having been decided a long time ago, possibly around or before the same time that they were still using a future pve mode as a marketing point. Blizz leaks a lot but they're also famously opaque and as a result you have an environment where a lot is said and not much is known, blizzard (and by extension anyone under NDA) isn't saying anything substantive publicly (hell them even making a statement is unusual), so yeah you end up with a situation that amplifies speculation and half-baked takes because that's all that is actually out there.

Unrelated to the above and on a personal note: I just think it's interesting to hear them finally acknowledge that the pvp game that actually existed was put pretty much completely on hold for the hypothetical future mmo game that they decided to try to develop a second time. why OW1 stopped receiving updates or significant amounts of attention had always been one of the big mysteries of the game and the explanation that they were trying to develop, like, some story missions or w/e didn't seem fully satisfactory to explain why OW ended up that stagnant, nor why it was on an mmorpg style content release schedule despite being incredibly clearly a live-service competitive pvp fps as far as anyone playing it could tell. It also adds some context to why so much of the feedback on the game as an fps that they sought out from pros and others ended up in the bin. I guess you can't really reduce overall healing effects by 70%, nor make the classes more even wrt character power if your plan is to convert the whole thing into an fpsmmorpg down the road. Or maybe that's not why, who knows. whatever the case, it is interesting to know what game they thought they were making when they largely stopped outwardly working on the game they already had.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 20, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

widespread posted:

between this and juri, we're truly in the Summer of Gaming

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Endorph posted:

i just thought it was funny how incoherent customer review sites are what are you going on at me about

PTSD from getting hosed by both my employers and from the vindictive players I've had to endure threats and abuse from over a video game. Sorry to poo poo the thread up. I'm not having a good day and shouldn't be projecting things here.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

The Grumbles posted:

I have never seen anything to suggest the work ethic at nintendo is anything other than the same super demanding crunch and extreme stress as other studios. People put up with it because they are working for a decent salary for Shigeru Miyamoto, rather than for the equivalent of minimum wage for bosses who had to have their names patch out of their games because of sexual misconduct. Their one saving grace of nintendo tho is they've never done layoffs/redundancies as far as I'm aware.

I've never heard of Nintendo's salary being too tier and they absolutely do not credit all of their devs (specifically contract developers).

There's this big gap that western gamers don't know anything about Japanese devs, so it's all just people filling in gaps with what like three people you can actually recognize there do. They have crunch. They have normal Japanese corporate culture of long work hours. They have normal Japanese culture issues with younger people in management and women giving directions. People handwave constantly that it's so great that Nintendo is the same managers and designers for decades but in the conversation right here we can contrast that with Blizzard who did the same thing in an incredibly toxic way.

And I'm not aware of extensive issues. I just know it's silly to assume they're not there because of a fake quote from Miyamoto people post every time there's a game delay or that the execs took a pay cut one time to avoid having the stockholders crucify them.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you deal with Simatra or Tracer just annihlating the backline?

Like I can barely ever even get to the obj

edit: as Zen i guess, but I usually am force to switch to Moira since at least I can kinda defend myself

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 21, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
zen gotta kill the flankers faster than they kill him or hope someone peels

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ehhh ok I think it's just ranked is incredibly unbalanced? Played 5 ish matches and it's like bronze vs grand masters or something.

Like what is "master challenger"

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 21, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

It means they made masters rank on some role or mode.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ehhh ok I think it's just ranked is incredibly unbalanced? Played 5 ish matches and it's like bronze vs grand masters or something.

Like what is "master challenger"

Welcome to OW2.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Vermain posted:

entirely believable, especially since diablo's one of their few remaining properties with the cultural cache necessary to be a breakout hit if they stick the landing

If they get bought by Mircosoft and Diablo IV flops there is a non zero chance Blizzard as an corporate entity is done.

The last Warcraft expansion was just good which doesn't make up for the 2 worst expansions before that one, Starcraft is dead, and CoD could absolutely just be it's on own company.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

SirKibbles posted:

If they get bought by Mircosoft and Diablo IV flops there is a non zero chance Blizzard as an corporate entity is done.

The last Warcraft expansion was just good which doesn't make up for the 2 worst expansions before that one, Starcraft is dead, and CoD could absolutely just be it's on own company.

CoD is its own company. It's called Activision. They don't make anything else now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah that's every steam forum. It's worse than even Reddit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think this is a pretty good/accurate view of the whole thing, basically a top-down enforced clusterfuck that made Jeff quit and forced devs to lie (or at least lie by omission) on camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOsm3NwO0U

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

I've never heard of Nintendo's salary being too tier and they absolutely do not credit all of their devs (specifically contract developers).

There's this big gap that western gamers don't know anything about Japanese devs, so it's all just people filling in gaps with what like three people you can actually recognize there do. They have crunch. They have normal Japanese corporate culture of long work hours. They have normal Japanese culture issues with younger people in management and women giving directions. People handwave constantly that it's so great that Nintendo is the same managers and designers for decades but in the conversation right here we can contrast that with Blizzard who did the same thing in an incredibly toxic way.

And I'm not aware of extensive issues. I just know it's silly to assume they're not there because of a fake quote from Miyamoto people post every time there's a game delay or that the execs took a pay cut one time to avoid having the stockholders crucify them.

This is the ultimate overwatch thread post in that you're agreeing with me but in a somehow argumentative and confrontational way.

Anyway there was a good rare glimpse into Nintendo's kyoto office via a Kotaku interview with an ex staffer a while back, in which they outline their insane work hours - Miyamoto telling them late at night 'it's Mario time', meaning they have to work late on something, and then them staying a couple of hours beyond Miyamoto leaving at 2am to prep some other stuff. It gets capped all off with the interveiwee saying something to the effect of 'but when you're working for the godfather of video games how can you not want to do that'. Anyway, my point is I find it hard to see how people at blizzard in 2023 would want to put up with the same level of exploitative working conditions without blizzard having its own miyamoto in place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirKibbles posted:

The last Warcraft expansion was just good which doesn't make up for the 2 worst expansions before that one
they'll keep making WoW expansions. like production might get scaled back somewhat but to put this in perspective everquest 1 is still getting new expansions to this day.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My issue is that it's the only multiplayer game that I like. I want to play rein and wrecking ball vs sombra and mercy with some widow in the mix. I want the fast paced economic decision making. I want the solid feeling connection to the mouse and keyboard. Doesn't really matter what blizzard does, there isn't another game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

headcase posted:

My issue is that it's the only multiplayer game that I like. I want to play rein and wrecking ball vs sombra and mercy with some widow in the mix. I want the fast paced economic decision making. I want the solid feeling connection to the mouse and keyboard. Doesn't really matter what blizzard does, there isn't another game.

my estimation is that it's not going anywhere anytime soon, since, despite all the controversy, it's still a reasonably popular title and doesn't have any still-living competitors in the arcade hero shooter arena beyond paladins that could eat into its market share. blizzard dodged a massive bullet with riot deciding to make valorant a tact FPS

i'd probably expect the pace or quality of updates to stagnate after a while as more resources get put towards properties like diablo 4, but there's always the possibility of the microsoft buyout going through and MS deciding that they can still turn the OW ship around with new investment

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I wouldn't even care if they just put it in maintenance mode with no new content, came up with some algorithm to adjust some core stats when pick rate is too high, made comp lucio ball and comp MH permanent, and walked away.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

headcase posted:

I wouldn't even care if they just put it in maintenance mode with no new content, came up with some algorithm to adjust some core stats when pick rate is too high, made comp lucio ball and comp MH permanent, and walked away.

It's not the best version of the game but it's better than whatever their next ideas for it are.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

We are here to announce that what we say about the direction of the game cant be trusted.

Now, lets talk about the upcoming direction of the game...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vermain posted:

blizzard dodged a massive bullet with riot deciding to make valorant a tact FPS
someone plz make an action fps w/o legal aimbots so i can stop playing this

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

imagine a TF3

:smith:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
How's Paladins doing?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

someone save me from this hell
https://twitter.com/Riley_Aster/status/1659416788881272832

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

comedyblissoption posted:

someone plz make an action fps w/o legal aimbots so i can stop playing this

I would like one too. I've tried finding a new fps game for awhile and nothing good really exists anymore. The only popular fps games I know of that don't allow aim-assist are Counter - Strike, Valorant, OW2, and TF2. There really isn't any other options. 😕

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Literally cannot escape people whining about AA in an entirely different thread for an entirely different game that does not even have it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MJBuddy posted:

Literally cannot escape people whining about AA in an entirely different thread for an entirely different game that does not even have it.

the crosshair moved on its own to click on this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Runa posted:

the crosshair moved on its own to click on this thread

lol