Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

One time I was stuck in the waiting room of a brothel in Russia* for an uncomfortably long time (long story) and the tv was playing Major Payne with documentary style Russian dubs.

American culture permeates.

*this was over 15 years ago

was it a talking point afterwards when you got in for your appointment or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I ate a pastrami and avocado sub from a Dunkin’ Donuts in Santiago, Chile, in 2005. It was excellent.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
German dubbed Steve Urkel was certainly a thing.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The McDonalds in Misawa, Japan had a shrimp burger. drat, that was tasty!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Did he still sound similar?

Janky The Clown
Jan 13, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

I did a couple years as an exchange officer with the German navy. Our boat got deployed to the Med for the UN Lebanon mission, but the maritime component was based out of Cyprus.

Our first night on island, the other officers wanted to go out to someplace new for dinner. As we cruise around Limassol, they unanimously decide on where they want to eat:

Bennigan's

Did they the full Bennigan's cultural experience by having the Monte Cristo? The Americanized inbred cousin of a french sandwich, eaten at an Irishized bastard of an American casual dining eatery?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

LightRailTycoon posted:

I ate a pastrami and avocado sub from a Dunkin’ Donuts in Santiago, Chile, in 2005. It was excellent.

wtf do they even have these here

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Janky The Clown posted:

Did they the full Bennigan's cultural experience by having the Monte Cristo? The Americanized inbred cousin of a french sandwich, eaten at an Irishized bastard of an American casual dining eatery?

No. They all ordered giant hamburgers, then proceeded to try to eat them with a knife and fork before I forbade that travesty. :colbert:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Wagner is claiming they have completely captured Bakhmut. :( Apparently Wagner got reinforced by the Russian army and recaptured a lot of ground. Ukraine says they still hold on to a few areas.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
From what I've read this is Ukraine giving ground in the city that they've been doing the fighting retreat on for months, while the rest of their forces are making gains around the city. So, yeah, it's gains for Wagner but pyrrhic at best and if things go well for Ukraine suicidal to hold on to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MH Knights posted:

Wagner is claiming they have completely captured Bakhmut. :( Apparently Wagner got reinforced by the Russian army and recaptured a lot of ground. Ukraine says they still hold on to a few areas.

So, like they claimed...what, 3 months ago now? And at such an astronomical cost?

Let em have it.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

wtf do they even have these here

Not now, and certainly not then.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What’s even left of Bahkmut at this point?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Bragging rights.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

From what I've read this is Ukraine giving ground in the city that they've been doing the fighting retreat on for months, while the rest of their forces are making gains around the city. So, yeah, it's gains for Wagner but pyrrhic at best and if things go well for Ukraine suicidal to hold on to.

So… knowing that the enemy has a, “absolutely capture this” order while encircling said target thus setting up a situation where you’ve entrapped an entire group of enemy soldiers?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Fun fact: The German voice actor dubbing Steve Urkel is the same guy voicing Spongebob and...*checks notes*...Steve Buscemi

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

FrozenVent posted:

A miserable pile of сука's.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I know not what weapons World War III will be fought with

but Russia will use sticks and stones

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HelloSailorSign posted:

So… knowing that the enemy has a, “absolutely capture this” order while encircling said target thus setting up a situation where you’ve entrapped an entire group of enemy soldiers?

They are nowhere near to entrapping the occupiers, and nothing suggests it ever was the plan.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1660216846010793984?t=nAYT-Jspiz1hRaUCS8kFCA&s=19

Rubble

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bet there's hella toilets in there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Karate Bastard posted:

I bet there's hella toilets in there.

Washing machines as far as the eye can see.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SlowBloke posted:

Washing machines as far as the eye can see.

I would think those were the first thing to be evacuated from the area.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The developments near Bakhmut are best described as straightening out the front. Bakhmut itself may have fallen to the Russians, but the gains north and south relieve pressure on positions immediately west of Bakhmut. As I understand it, the main issue the defenders of Bakhmut have had to face is the lack of artillery support and supply issues, both stemming from the fact that Bakhmut had been reduced to a narrow salient covered by Russian artillery.

Ukraine gaining ground on the heights above Klishchivka is good news though, because it allows artillery and mortars to be brought forward to cover a larger part of the Bakhmutka river valley.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Fun fact: The German voice actor dubbing Steve Urkel is the same guy voicing Spongebob and...*checks notes*...Steve Buscemi

Okay this new MultiVersus roster got me hyped

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dark Brandon strikes again.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Big "It will be incredibly painful / for you" energy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF0wa0W13yw

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah that’s a badass quote.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Biden sucks rear end but sometimes he's got good comebacks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

Biden sucks rear end but sometimes he's got good comebacks

Its way better than "Putin is my friend and he said he didn't do it"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have the feeling that the Ukrainian version of 'Operation Uranus' is about to happen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
operation ukranus

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cimber posted:

I have the feeling that the Ukrainian version of 'Operation Uranus' is about to happen.
What about my anus?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Nessus posted:

What about my anus?

Remember Wilco's balls? Well I got bad news for you and your anus.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Remember Wilco's balls? Well I got bad news for you and your anus.
Joke's on Putin, I'm into that poo poo!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Always got to look on the bright side of life

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
Can Ukraine's patriot batteries and future F16s get targeting data from the various NATO AWACS planes flying around Ukraine? I.e. shoot down targets entirely without engaging their own radars?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Storkrasch posted:

Can Ukraine's patriot batteries and future F16s get targeting data from the various NATO AWACS planes flying around Ukraine? I.e. shoot down targets entirely without engaging their own radars?

No

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Storkrasch posted:

The front is quite far from the NATO borders and probably outside AWACS radar range. Otherwise, it's technically possible, I'd bet. It seems a bit more direct information sharing than a satellite image.

e: ^ I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

This is from Kongsberg's sales brochure for NASAMS; cropped down because I'm trying to screenshot a two page pdf spread on a cellphone.

I may be wrong, but that distinctly looks like an E-3 flying above it and linked into the network. Now, NASAMS is not Patriot, but I'd be mildly surprised if it were less capable in this regard.

Of course, "is the US sharing live targeting data" is a very different question than "does the equipment support it".