Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mycomancy posted:

The only reason we should make an immortal AI out of Feinstein is to be able to torture it forever.

I have no aides and I must scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SKULL.GIF posted:

and the dead shall rule us https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/dinanne-feinstein-resign-difi-ai-18107088.php

"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks." - Karl Marx

An AI can't replace Feinstein. There's no way it's smart enough to properly inside-trade.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

true, but because we live in hell there may be social consequences

teens are idiots

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

euphronius posted:

Aren’t they like 250$

and incredibly easy to lose/destroy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just got home from groceries and honestly I don't understand how there hasn't been any violence over food inflation. The reported inflation figure is a total, absurd lie (as everyone here knows). Food inflation has been something closer to 10-15% year over year since covid.

Everything I'm buying is like $2/more per unit than I remember and I'm like, yeah, that tracks. And all the 16oz stuff comes in 14oz packages now.

The literal only reason I'm getting by without having to resort to rice and beans every single meal is because of SNAP and lol that's gonna be slashed to the bone in the next 30 days.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just got home from groceries and honestly I don't understand how there hasn't been any violence over food inflation. The reported inflation figure is a total, absurd lie (as everyone here knows). Food inflation has been something closer to 10-15% year over year since covid.

Everything I'm buying is like $2/more per unit than I remember and I'm like, yeah, that tracks. And all the 16oz stuff comes in 14oz packages now.

The literal only reason I'm getting by without having to resort to rice and beans every single meal is because of SNAP and lol that's gonna be slashed to the bone in the next 30 days.
americans are very docile and still have "treats", ostensibly. things aren't that bad for me, look at those homeless, at least i'm still roofed and have a netflix. the bottom of the barrel could always be deeper.

plus it's still easy to steal food from self-checkouts

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

and incredibly easy to lose/destroy

yeah, if you're stupid

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently this is something called “technofetishistic egotism,” a condition in which tech creators fall into the trap where, “They don’t understand anything about the ecosystems they’re trying to disrupt…and assume that because they understand one very complicated thing, [difficult programming challenges]…that all other complicated things must be lesser in complexity and naturally lower in the hierarchy of reality, nails easily driven by the hammer that they have created.”

the way computer science is currently taught, you get introduced to algorithms as things that can solve certain types of problems (e.g. 'the traveling salesman problem'), then an explanation of abstracting those problems vis-a-vis best case efficiency, which then leads to P, NP, and -hard and -completeness. Without some other metaphysics/ontology/really loving any liberal arts, it becomes easy to see the world, and any obstacle, as a series of processes that can be algorithmically optimized (by computers! maybe even by you!), which I think is at least a part of this

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Sociology isn't a real field and doesn't use quantitative analysis so anybody and everybody is a sociologist

Pretty insulting to name them in the same sentence as psychologists TBH

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://twitter.com/antoniogm/status/1489001874967515136

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
like you literally have to be insanely stupid to lose something for good when your phone has a "find my X" feature that can mark its location on the map for you

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

SKULL.GIF posted:

Idk how families are surviving, shits probably rough with kids.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
My shape rotator got all jacked up a few years ago from swimming.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

like you literally have to be insanely stupid to lose something for good when your phone has a "find my X" feature that can mark its location on the map for you

which doesn't help much if you your overpriced poo poo gets dropped on a bus/train you can't easily get back to, or in some other public place where someone else picks it up or a janitor sweeps it into the trash

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Relevant Tangent posted:

teens are idiots

unfortunately most of the American population are essentially teens, so

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1660313269024817152

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I bought some skinless boneless chicken thighs today but when I went to open them later for cooking they reeked & I ended up tossing them, bc it's easier to stop buying meat there than taking rotten chicken back for a $4 refund.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Good thing this was the week I decided to start eating mostly fish and plants

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 23:58 on May 21, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

USA banned all blood and plasma donations from anyone who had been the uk between 1980-1995 or something like that because of bse

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I bought some skinless boneless chicken thighs today but when I went to open them later for cooking they reeked & I ended up tossing them, bc it's easier to stop buying meat there than taking rotten chicken back for a $4 refund.

yeah either they’re rotten OR they smell like piss I can’t be the only one here who has opened a thing of chicken and thought “okay this smells like a portapotty”

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

i am harry posted:

USA banned all blood and plasma donations from anyone who had been the uk between 1980-1995 or something like that because of bse

no need this time. americans have a hardier genome than british. they can handle widespread BSE after covid (which is over) strengthened our immune systems.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oglethorpe posted:

you're an expert in artillery, guns, warfare, AND social sciences?

I think technically, if I was at any other ministry, where the DS group doesn't exist.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

how has time ran out. how is there no time. you pick up the phone and call the federal reserve and have them scribble "one treeleeon dollars" on a sticky note and deposit it.

Thinking about our legislative representatives sitting around doing rules lawyering for some pen n' paper RPG from the 90s and CNN breathlessly covering it like it's the end of the world and very seriously listening to a fat dude with bad facial hair who runs a games shop explain it to them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just got home from groceries and honestly I don't understand how there hasn't been any violence over food inflation. The reported inflation figure is a total, absurd lie (as everyone here knows). Food inflation has been something closer to 10-15% year over year since covid..

I haven’t been to a “real” grocery store in a long time but my Aldi had little A1 steak sauce bottles for $4.79. Nearly five bucks. That’s the discount price the low cost grocer buys nearly expired bottles to sell them at.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

i am harry posted:

yeah either they’re rotten OR they smell like piss I can’t be the only one here who has opened a thing of chicken and thought “okay this smells like a portapotty”

used or fresh? neither good just wondering if things are rotting in transit or being bathed in ammonia cleaner

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

welp, time to be a vegan again I guess.

*future voice*
I can hear the lentils calling

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

zetamind2000 posted:

Good thing this was the week I decided to start eating mostly fish and plants

bad news about the fish

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

Gonna lol when this turns into a “if you’re scared stay home” situation

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You won’t stop big beef in this country

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The only reason anyone is trashing a grocery store in the US is if a beer brand makes a one off can design for a trans celebrity.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

skooma512 posted:

The only reason anyone is trashing a grocery store in the US is if a beer brand makes a one off can design for a trans celebrity.

surprisingly I feel like beer has been the most recession proof. Soda is soon gonna cost as much as domestic lagers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol, lmao

Apr 7, 2003

CJD has killed less than 250 people since 1992, there's no reason to ruin the economy over it. People can make their own decisions based on their risk tolerance.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

What does a prion taste like? You've got to be a little curious right

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
poisonous hamburgers will plunge the United States into more chaos than Pearl Harbor

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1660432819175272449?s=20

Apr 7, 2003

lol that clothes are now a "larger ticket item" like TVs or electronics

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TVs are stupid cheap haha

Apr 7, 2003

Roofing my house with 30 year asphalt TVs

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
my wife pointed it out when she came back from visiting her family but now I can’t help but notice how “porky” stuff like pork chops smells. I feel like I don’t remember it having that odor or taste, like there’s the joke it’s the “other white meat” cause it’s kinda bland/just takes on whatever it’s seasoned with but whenever I open a package it’s not like it smells off per se, I’ll still eat it, but there’s a unique aroma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trump admin got rid of all pig safety rules

you should never eat pork in the USA