Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

manero posted:

Pluggers

Jesus Christ :lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Well he's gotta be on the ship anyways, right?

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

McCoy: "what is it with you?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/8/50

Archie 6/2-4/47

Back then, it wasn't assumed that all high schoolers would go on to college. The "college course" was advanced classes for kids who were planning to go to college; other kids would take various kinds of vocational/technical classes.

That damned New Math!

It's really weird seeing Archie's dad as a little kid in a ruffled shirt, porkpie hat, and high-button shoes, isn't it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selachian posted:

It's really weird seeing Archie's dad as a little kid in a ruffled shirt, porkpie hat, and high-button shoes, isn't it?

born thirty years too soon

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

In other words, shut up and eat your goddamn dinner.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Rakugo footnote: I gather that rakugo has a rather strictly codified master/apprentice system –apprentices take on entirely new names using their master’s “rakugo family” name, and when a master retires or dies they may or may not pass on their full name to a “deserving” ex-apprentice.

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

man i had never even heard of rakugo until akane banashi showed up in jump and now it's fuckin everywhere

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

That was the smoothest way to tell someone to shut the gently caress up that I have ever seen in print.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

kidcoelacanth posted:

man i had never even heard of rakugo until akane banashi showed up in jump and now it's fuckin everywhere

the only reason i know about it is from following the gaki no tsukai no laughing new years batsu games; one of the recurring players had a sort of mid-life crisis and became a rakugo performer - there was a lot of controversy at the time because he had literally never touched rakugo before and so a lot of people were upset when he was fully certified and allowed to take his master's name

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:golfclap:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Woof, I got sidetracked again. School, amirite? Anyway, here's a highlight real of the last few weeks' Ballard Street

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

goddamnit this strip is never going to be free of the worlds dumbest scam artist

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Well he's gotta be on the ship anyways, right?

That's him in the orange with the hat and beard, hiding behind the pillar in Panel 3, isn't it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If anyone is interested in learning more about rakugo, the manga Akane-Banashi is running weekly right now and it rules.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Wiktionary suggested "aerial counting" as the term for this, I hope it was correct enough.

ANSU

This is one of my favourites

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Ballard Street feels like it exists at a midpoint between Far Side and the Adam's Family.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
All I know about rakugo I picked up through osmosis watching Shoten: a rotating cast of 6 old rakugo dudes doing a Japanese Whose Line Is It and ragging on each other for half an hour every Sunday night since 1966.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

holy poo poo, a Ballard Bear

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

The classic finger wiggling battle part of any classic X-Men story. You may remember such digital motions from the Dark Phoenix Saga and Inferno.

Four pages this week as Kit + The Wolf concludes!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

goddamnit this strip is never going to be free of the worlds dumbest scam artist
Hey. He's the best character in modern Rex Morgan:

Things happen when he's around. They may be stupid, stupid things, but they happen. There's drama.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life, for May 19, 1927. This week's theme is "The Back Number Issue", which means page one starts with two single-cell organisms bumping into each other in the primal soup and from there it moves forward through history. John Held Jr. is our cover artist.

WF Whity:

Ned Hilton:

Baskerville:

Herb Roth (or herb roth, if you're being a stickler about it):

LJ Holton:

Fred G. Cooper:

And to bring us up past the cover date to modern times, a bit of fgc clip art from the opinion page which, uncomfortably, we've only grown into:

Next week: THE FUTURE.

Speaking of back-fills, surprise! Here's a few more 1917 Toonerville Folks that I found thumbing through the Minneapolis Star-Tribune online archives. (January 1, 19, and 25, 1917 (at least in Minneapolis.))

(Shut up, Discord is too still a thing...)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 22, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Herb Roth (or herb roth, if you're being a stickler about it):

I'm glad they specified the victim was the one on the rack.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Really Didn't Care About What Happened To Them, Thanks

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i thought this guy's whole thing was male lions didn't hunt so he was beating stigma by hunting like a lioness, who stalks prey, but here is he waiting in ambush like a male lion.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

i thought this guy's whole thing was male lions didn't hunt so he was beating stigma by hunting like a lioness, who stalks prey, but here is he waiting in ambush like a male lion.

Applying logic to anything in Holbrookiverse is the way to madness.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ghostlight posted:

His daughter is dating the lion you're talking about or whatever, they go to school together.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Uh... I feel like that's gonna stand out a bit more in human reality than a human child would in theirs.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Hostile V posted:

I Really Didn't Care About What Happened To Them, Thanks

If she was a bird and is now a human and procreated with a natural human, why is her child a bear?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

plainswalker75 posted:

If she was a bird and is now a human and procreated with a natural human, why is her child a bear?
I'm not researching the answers to this spin-off, I don't care.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i feel like i'm the only one around here who thinks holbrook is mostly just goofy and harmless but when he tries to spoof sports it really gets a rise out of me

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Selachian posted:

Took me a second to not see that as an iPad…

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Plugger iPads

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

plainswalker75 posted:

the boat is the father

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Ghostlight posted:

I think that's the other lion. The one who sucked rear end at hunting and married a rabbit.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Crab Dad posted:

Took me a second to not see that as an iPad…

father i cannot click the slate