Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I don't trust us to govern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

I dunno, I trust every CanPol poster to govern more than I do any current elected one. :v:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Unfortunately, the country already has a new idiot king.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

Unfortunately, the country already has a new idiot king.

Only one?

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah, I know less than poo poo about Peel Region (I assume it's some Toronto thing) but I'm generally in favour of municipal government structures that actually govern at least vaguely similar areas so that there aren't untenable competing interests.
It's just stupid that far-flung towns/villages like Orléans and Manotick have input on what Vanier and Hintonburg are doing (and vice versa). They might as well be on different planets.

Just bring back the Ottawa-Carleton regional government, like Metro Vancouver, to handle region-wide concerns so that the exurbs leave us alone.

If the Province isn’t bringing regional governments back any time soon, an interim measure that Councils could do would be to organize their committees to better recognize regions. We already sort of do that in Ottawa with the Agricultural and Rural Affairs committee. Could also have two planning/transportation committees: one for inside the Greenbelt and one for outside.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/supreme-court-of-canada-barry-neufeld-glen-hansman-defemation-suit-decision-1.6849071

quote:

The Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) has sided with a lower B.C. court in dismissing a defamation suit brought in 2018 by a then Chilliwack school board trustee against a former teachers' union leader, who described comments made by the trustee as bigoted, transphobic and hateful.

The ruling ends legal recourse for Barry Neufeld, who had long attracted controversy over his views of how sexual orientation and gender identity is taught in schools during his time as a trustee for School District 33.

Eat poo poo, Barry. It brought me so much joy to see him get ousted in the last election.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah, I know less than poo poo about Peel Region (I assume it's some Toronto thing) but I'm generally in favour of municipal government structures that actually govern at least vaguely similar areas so that there aren't untenable competing interests.
It's just stupid that far-flung towns/villages like Orléans and Manotick have input on what Vanier and Hintonburg are doing (and vice versa). They might as well be on different planets.

Just bring back the Ottawa-Carleton regional government, like Metro Vancouver, to handle region-wide concerns so that the exurbs leave us alone.

The issue is that geographic separation doesn't necessarily mean that two or more areas are not interconnected or that a jurisdiction generating a lot of tax revenue doesn't depend on another jurisdiction to generate that tax revenue. Peel is this hypothetical regional government that handles supposedly region-wide concerns. The issue in this case is about Sauga coming to the conclusion rightly or wrongly that a bunch of stuff that Peel governs is no longer a "region-wide concern" based on the fact that it is paying out more than its supposed fair share. I generally don't like a collection of small jurisdictions because while it may trample local concerns, it also has more of a chance to bulldoze past NIMBYism and get poo poo done. I am not informed about the economics of the region but it may not be a stretch to say the 'Sauga's economic prospects in the past 20 years relied on Brampton to supply the housing needed for the workers and businesses in the city itself since 'Sauga had long since exhausted its land availability in the Hazel days. The construction of a passenger rail line running from Brampton to 'Sauga does suggest that the two cities are very interconnected and the math extends beyond simple tax into the region > expenditures within the city limits that the current mayor keeps bitching about.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
The only good thing about Brampton is the Canada Soccer player maker factory they got going over there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Some of the food is pretty good too.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

And that he was replaced by a trans man :discourse:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

And that he was replaced by a trans man :discourse:

That is delightful

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Recently, an OPP officer was killed in a shooting in Bourget, Ontario, near Ottawa, and there was a whole regimental police funeral at the Canadian Tire Centre and everything, but someone sent me this little thing today and is it just me or is this in kind of poor taste?

https://twitter.com/OPPAssociation/status/1659988846870777857

They say it's got sign-off from the family but, like, this is merch for a dead cop, right? Has any police force/police union ever done this before? This just seems extremely weird to me.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
cops arent exactly the most socially aware people, or smart

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Democracy is diluting the dumb, so that we get a random mix of everyone's dumb decisions instead of just one person's particular brand of dumb decisions.

It's still stupid, and there's still potential for greater stupidity, but at least on average it should be a bit less stupid... maybe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

100% of people buying that shirt are doing so planning to wear it to their next field sobriety test to get out of a DUI

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

cops arent exactly the most socially aware people, or smart

Doug Ford planning on making sure the second part of that statement rings truer than ever. :(

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/someone-in-charge-finally-needs-to-say-no-to-high-speed-rail/wcm/fcd914e6-c11c-428c-b619-0ffdf66af225/amp/

Some needs to finally say no to high speed rail, that thing that is apparently happening too much

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Oh yah I remember high speed railing way back in 2019, took me a blazing fast 12 hours to get from Montreal to Toronto at which point the gave up trying to high speed rail and high speed bused me back to Kitchener.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

They say it's got sign-off from the family but, like, this is merch for a dead cop, right? Has any police force/police union ever done this before? This just seems extremely weird to me.

Growing up, we used to get regularly shaken down for contributions to the Policeman’s Widows Fund, so not exactly the same thing, but in a time honoured tradition.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Guy ain’t getting any deader and the family needs to feed themselves, in terms of Cop Things I don’t have much of an argument against it outside of people shouldn’t have to sell shirts of dead relatives to help survive

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

A Quick Google search posted:

"The typical Ontario Provincial Police Police Officer salary is $106,578 per year. Police Officer salaries at Ontario Provincial Police can range from $72,435 - $130,000 per year. Mar 30, 2023"

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Don't cop widows get some kind of cop pension or cop life insurance if they die in the line of duty?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah but maybe it's getting diluted through a series of exes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Guy ain’t getting any deader and the family needs to feed themselves, in terms of Cop Things I don’t have much of an argument against it outside of people shouldn’t have to sell shirts of dead relatives to help survive

it's not going to the family if you look at the tweet it's going to the opp youth program or some poo poo

family is definitely taken care of

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

The article posted:

Now imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth when HSR’s proponents discovered that it’s more expensive than flying.
[...]
I suspect the reason we don’t have high-speed rail in Canada is in large part because every time a report comes back and lands on a premier’s or transport minister’s desk, and they look at the numbers, even they realize they could never sell it to the Canadian electorate in the first place.

To the first point, I don't think anyone is under any illusions that HSR would naturally be cheaper than flying unless it were heavily subsidized à la the kind of trains you see in Europe. That said, trains are simply so much better than flying along the Windsor-Québec corridor: you can show up ten minutes before it leaves; no security queue; bigger seats and legroom; if you get business class from MTL to TOR it costs the same as an economy flight but you get a meal and drinks and you only spend an hour or so extra.

The second point is unfortunately true given the dire state of the electorate in this country. I did enjoy the part where they lamented how small townships along the main CN rail line might have to pay to support this new infrastructure (for an unspecified amount because they have no actual numbers or data to present), and brought up the fast ferries in BC, something I hadn't thought about in like ten years. Good to know that Canada has a history of "boondoggles" when it comes to mass transit solutions, but nothing's wrong with all the highways we have in the country -- by implication we should really be spending more of our money on them, I guess.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Guest2553 posted:

Yeah but maybe it's getting diluted through a series of victims

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Petanque posted:

To the first point, I don't think anyone is under any illusions that HSR would naturally be cheaper than flying unless it were heavily subsidized à la the kind of trains you see in Europe. That said, trains are simply so much better than flying along the Windsor-Québec corridor: you can show up ten minutes before it leaves; no security queue; bigger seats and legroom; if you get business class from MTL to TOR it costs the same as an economy flight but you get a meal and drinks and you only spend an hour or so extra.

The second point is unfortunately true given the dire state of the electorate in this country. I did enjoy the part where they lamented how small townships along the main CN rail line might have to pay to support this new infrastructure (for an unspecified amount because they have no actual numbers or data to present), and brought up the fast ferries in BC, something I hadn't thought about in like ten years. Good to know that Canada has a history of "boondoggles" when it comes to mass transit solutions, but nothing's wrong with all the highways we have in the country -- by implication we should really be spending more of our money on them, I guess.

The last study I remember reading showed that the carbon footprint of high speed rail is also smaller than air and vehicle and given the expected increases oin population/travel along the corridor.

The best and cheapest option is to nationalize the entire rail system in the country along side building HSR but that might ruffle a few conservative feathers. :v:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

This opinion showed up in my google news feed thing yesterday and my body instinctively hit the buttons so that it would never show me anything from National Post ever again.
I think I've saved my brain a lot of future damage here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Weird how the list of transportation boondoggles had no room for the 407 ETR.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What boondoggle? It's generating hundreds of millions in revenue every year for its owners.

Sounds like a success story to me...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Guest2553 posted:

Yeah but maybe it's getting diluted through a series of exes

40% of it, for sure.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
better things aren't possible!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HackensackBackpack posted:

Is it weird anymore though? After each weekly mass shooting in the USA, there's an industry of people making "Austin Strong" or "Las Vegas Strong" or "Pensacola Strong" t-shirts and stickers and hats. The same people who buy and wear that stuff would snap up dead cop merch too.

Morally weird: yes. Abnormal: not anymore.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

InfiniteZero posted:

Is it weird anymore though? After each weekly mass shooting in the USA, there's an industry of people making "Austin Strong" or "Las Vegas Strong" or "Pensacola Strong" t-shirts and stickers and hats. The same people who buy and wear that stuff would snap up dead cop merch too.

After enough commemorative t-shirt purchases you should be able to wear enough layers to actually form a bullet-proof barrier. Probably only needs about a month's worth of shootings.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

Soon we will hear democrats argue that we can’t end shootings as it would cost too many jobs.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fidelitious posted:

After enough commemorative t-shirt purchases you should be able to wear enough layers to actually form a bullet-proof barrier. Probably only needs about a month's worth of shootings.

... and think of the added layers of emotional security knowing that you're strong enough to keep letting this kind of thing happen!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I voted. Pretty painless. walk in, get printout, fill in circle, stick in machine. Weren't many other voters there yet.

there are a lot of NDP yard signs here. If Yard signs could vote i think the NDP would have it.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

No public inquiry into foreign interference. Can’t wait to be bashed over the head with this inane yellow scare talking point forever until the next Federal election.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The headline snippet I read mentioned that there was effectively no way to have a public inquiry since all the supporting information was classified, which makes sense and is also the kind of thing that will be completely ignored as the CPC makes hay out of the report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

The headline snippet I read mentioned that there was effectively no way to have a public inquiry since all the supporting information was classified, which makes sense and is also the kind of thing that will be completely ignored as the CPC makes hay out of the report.
Global News had former CSIS head Ward Elcock on just now and he said that anyone who thinks we couldn’t have a public inquiry because of all the classified information obviously doesn’t understand national security. He conveniently didn’t explain what that means but I assume that’ll be the rebuttal. “There are ways to still hold a public inquiry. No, I won’t explain how”