Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've been getting an urge to pick up some new book. Odds are i won't ever play whatever so what books are interesting to read and/or have interesting ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've been getting an urge to pick up some new book. Odds are i won't ever play whatever so what books are interesting to read and/or have interesting ideas

ryuutama

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Sword World.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Glitch

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Interesting to read? Castle Falkenstein

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Exalted

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Most comprehensive Glorantha book in your price range.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Spellbound Kingdoms.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I've been really into a new setting called Vaults of Vaarn recently, it's strongly based off of the Book of the New Sun and it's got a lot of really good post-post-post-apoc dying earth weirdness. The deluxe rulebook is very gorgeous too, but all the core rules are free zines online.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Most comprehensive Glorantha book in your price range.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Literally anything by Gareth Hanrahan.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you have a preferred genre I can suggest one

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Here's some fun weird OSR poo poo:

Ultraviolet Grasslands

Magical Industrial Revolution

Veins of the Earth

Dungeon Dozen

Fire on the Velvet Horizon

Gradient Descent

Hot Springs Island

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

sebmojo posted:

+1

Eyes of the Stone Thief is my all-time "read through every six months daydreaming of running it one day" book.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tanglewood1420 posted:

+1

Eyes of the Stone Thief is my all-time "read through every six months daydreaming of running it one day" book.

I spent like five years running it and it fuckin owned

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

sebmojo posted:

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

sebmojo posted:

His posts on the Pelgrane blog are better than most official books the company puts out.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Anyone know of a good book/resource that teaches how to play and score Bridge? I used to play over a decade ago but never learned how to score and have forgotten things like what each card’s point value is, point thresholds for bidding, etc.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Megazver posted:

Here's some fun weird OSR poo poo:

Ultraviolet Grasslands

Magical Industrial Revolution

Veins of the Earth

Dungeon Dozen

Fire on the Velvet Horizon

Gradient Descent

Hot Springs Island
This whole list but especially these

That goes double for anything Skerples had a hand in, I’m bummed I missed the Monster Overhaul KS entirely somehow

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Seconding Veins of the Earth and Fire on the Velvet Horizon in a big way. They're both great reads and also very gameable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Megazver posted:

Ultraviolet Grasslands

There's a second edition coming out with more art!

I'll also throw out Wildsea. That's a really solid effort in terms of rules, setting fluff, and GM support material. The hardback is also an absolutely gorgeous physical artifact.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mellonbread posted:

His posts on the Pelgrane blog are better than most official books the company puts out.
I'm starting to wish they'd brought him in as a 13th Age head designer in addition to or indeed instead of Tweet

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm starting to wish they'd brought him in as a 13th Age head designer in addition to or indeed instead of Tweet

He's a full-time novelist now.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Thanks Everyone, Lots of suggestions for me to poke through

Leraika posted:

ryuutama

I already own it! Its great. I ran a short campaign for some friends and we had a town where mayorship was picked by winning a flower arranging competition

I'm a big Jenna fan so I had that bad boy on preorder. Looking forward to N4!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cyberpunk 3.0

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GURPS Cabal

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

GURPS Cabal

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
[

Interesting to read/interesting concepts/not necessarily good to play...

Underground
Year of the Phoenix
Metascape
Tales of Gargentihr (which I really need to do an F&F of because it is weird)

edit: I just found a copy of Gargentihr on archive.org as a pdf. Time to reread some Scottish weirdness

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 22, 2023

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who dreams of running a GURPS Cabal game that isn't immediately beset by issues.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I just got GURPS Fantasy 2 and haven't really dug into it yet, but it looks pretty nuts

Definitely going on the "impossible dream GURPS campaign" pile next to Goblins

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I just got GURPS Fantasy 2 and haven't really dug into it yet, but it looks pretty nuts

Oh god, that’s completely insane. One of Robin Laws’ first efforts. In a lot of ways the cultures outside the main Bronze Age one are at least as interesting as the theoretical focus, too.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I love that setting, so much that when I lost the book somehow I had to get a replacement. It's just sheer, mad genius packed with such detail.

My favorite example of lived-in detail that's for the GM that the PCs will never see, spoiling just in case anyone's in a campaign or whatever: There's a group of utterly bored and jaded sorcerous immortals who hang out in their impossible city all the time, because it's the one place that's safe from the gods. They once practiced three sorts of magic, all with mutually exclusive rituals: animal sacrifice, injecting themselves with crushed gems, and singing nigh-impossible notes. So one day one of the immortals published his magnum opus, an epic volume of poetry. Enterprising immortals quickly realized that key lines from the epic can be used to focus magic in a fourth form, which rapidly spreads and assures that the epic will live forever in the memory and culture of the immortals. But the author of the epic is disgusted by this degradation of his art, running it through the proverbial muck to do parlor tricks and lowering it to the level of beastly blood sacrifice or degenerate tweakers needing their gem fix. For, you see, he's a practitioner of singing magic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Antivehicular posted:

Is that the one where the gods are based on characters from Winnie-the-Pooh?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yep! I am very curious if Young Robin Laws can pull that off, but cautiously optimistic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah I’m afraid I’m gonna need some explanation of what’s behind that spoiler text.

You can’t just leave that lying there. It’s like nerd litter.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah I’m afraid I’m gonna need some explanation of what’s behind that spoiler text.

You can’t just leave that lying there. It’s like nerd litter.
From the table of contents...
THE GODS
Bax Powu Kag (the Moose)
Bett Agwo (the Hare)
Bubzavav (the Bear)
Dopod Abwep (the Child)
Gakox Pezep (the Cougar)
Kikavo Vo (Big Leaper)
Kikavo Dat (Little Leaper)
Vuvuti (the Owl)
Zewa Zab (the Gopher)
Zuutak (the Pig)

The 'Moose' is Eeyore and the 'Gopher' is Rabbit

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

From the table of contents...
THE GODS
Bax Powu Kag (the Moose)
Bett Agwo (the Hare)
Bubzavav (the Bear)
Dopod Abwep (the Child)
Gakox Pezep (the Cougar)
Kikavo Vo (Big Leaper)
Kikavo Dat (Little Leaper)
Vuvuti (the Owl)
Zewa Zab (the Gopher)
Zuutak (the Pig)

The 'Moose' is Eeyore and the 'Gopher' is Rabbit

Not the Hare?

Also hell yeah. loving king poo poo.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

It’s just amazing. The gods don’t care about people, they’re just these huge powerful mysterious beings. If you come close to Bax Powu Kag you lose your will to live because it’s so depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O thank loving god. There's and F&F of it.Reading the gently caress out of this.

That's hilarious and amazing.