Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I'm mostly broke right now thanks to the aforementioned scarcity of jobs up north and the fact I've been doing a lot of (less than well prepared) anomaly diving working towards making a Volat Emerald, which is costing me a decent chunk in medical supplies (even just buying the basics for crafting) and repair materials.

There's definitely a lot fewer quests to make cash from up north, but I've made a tidy sum just selling weapon attachements. Monolith especially have them in spades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You should be able to avoid damage from the pseudogiant's slam attack if you jump up in the air just right. I want falling elevator logic to work here.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
This isn't specific to the Pseudogiant, but it's always kind of bugged me how some games will have enemies that can injure you by stomping in your general vicinity. Like what is happening that causes the Pseudogiant's stomp to hurt you from 30 feet away? It's all very mysterious. This also applies to enemies that will shout damage at you.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 20, 2023

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What bothers me the most about the stomp is that it stops all your acceleration. I am zipping along at +35% move speed from the Lucifer artifact and I refuse to be brought down to mortal speed because of this creature!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This isn't specific to the Pseudogiant, but it's always kind of bugged me how some games will have enemies that can injure you by stomping in your general vicinity. Like what is happening that causes the Pseudogiant's stomp to hurt you from 30 feet away? It's all very mysterious. This also applies to enemies that will shout damage at you.

Pseudogiants are hosed too, because in shoc you could time a jump to evade the stomp damage, but they got rid of that in later games for mysterious reasons.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This isn't specific to the Pseudogiant, but it's always kind of bugged me how some games will have enemies that can injure you by stomping in your general vicinity. Like what is happening that causes the Pseudogiant's stomp to hurt you from 30 feet away?

the vibrations from stomp travel through the ground and up your legs so hard that the jiggling damages your bones/internal organs

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The giant meatball stomped the irradiated earth so hard that it ruptured my own meatballs and gave me a stomach ache.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The controller isn't actually psychically melting your brain with his attack, you're just very shy and mortified at having to make extended eye contact

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I hate it when the angry leggy does the footstep and my liver wiggles more than usual

This playthrough has been rough. However, fortune smiles on me. I nailed a lone bandit in the Cordon carpark. He had a Makarov, a leather jacket and... a drat Oracle headset.

What I really want is the ability to repair more than just light gear. I can't get through the Yantar lab with just a gas mask.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Right now I have the ISG Nosorog, Spartan helmet, highest tier ballistic plate, and the Compass, Full Empty, and Lucifer artifacts. It sorta feels like I made a genie's wish for invulnerability though because while I can survive straight up RPG rockets to the face, no one said anything about limbs. I've become a fentanyl fiend from having to do postheals more so than normal first aid healing after a heavy firefight. You can literally shoot my legs out from underneath me and blow up the rest of my extremities with grenades, a steady cocktail of drugs is keeping me going.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do think artifact healing should apply to limbs too.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I do too but I don't mind if it's done this way to keep things somewhat balanced or to keep the medical system relevant throughout all stages of the game. I feel like the passive healing I'm getting from Lucifer is already such a huge boon, though when you boil it down, nothing much has fundamentally changed for me. I still use AI-2 medkits and bandages, only now its for limb first aid, and I still pop yadulin and ibuprofen for more minor injuries. Lucifer just lets me stretch out my med supplies further/not have to worry about healing up every time I take damage.

Though when I first got Lucifer, I way overestimated its healing abilities and left most of my healing supplies at home, only to get my legs blown up and having to drag myself back to the nearest town, Daniel Plainview-style.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Given how goddamned stupid the original (cut) cat models look, this Anomaly mod looks kind of interesting:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/alternative-cats/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everything in the zone is just an ambulatory tumour until you get to the ultimate lifeform: biggest stompiest tumour

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Snorks really should be less stealthy, considering.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Worth giving myself acute radiation poisoning to eat.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I was dreading the rng of trying to find expert tools but I wound up getting some in a decent amount of time. On the same expedition into Pripyat I also looted a tacticool AS Val with built in laser, canted sight, and it can even mount a grenade launcher.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whaaat, I only found one with a laser sight and it says you can't put a GL on it.

I would like a vintorez for the extra accuracy but the val does have a nicer mag size.

I did find a veresek smg though, that ammo is actually really versatile, does a lot of damage and has good enough penetration to take on army men and mercs pretty easily.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
All of you getting Expert tools are attacking me personally and I don't appreciate it.

Two months and nothing. I have conquered the Zone on the back of an M4 Tactical, never finding something in a heavier caliber with a barrel that was over 30% so I could even field repair it up to useable quality. I got every faction, including Bandits, to maximum reputation. I have the best artifacts, the best pelts, only Monolith and Sin dare to contend with me and it always ends poorly for them. So I decided to take Jimble as northward as possible, and into the Generator. I was done, there was nothing else to do, so I was going to dive right into the center, get exploded, and close the book.

Turns out that anomaly doesn't actually hurt you and is completely visual only. So I debugged in a hundred anomalies and CTD'd instead.

Not sure what I'm going to run as next, but hopefully it's as a character that isn't loving cursed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

OwlFancier posted:

I would like a vintorez for the extra accuracy but the val does have a nicer mag size.

This is the best thing about the Mags mod. You can just use 20rnd VSS mags with the VAL.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Namnesor posted:

Two months and nothing. I have conquered the Zone on the back of an M4 Tactical, never finding something in a heavier caliber with a barrel that was over 30% so I could even field repair it up to useable quality. I got every faction, including Bandits, to maximum reputation. I have the best artifacts, the best pelts, only Monolith and Sin dare to contend with me and it always ends poorly for them. So I decided to take Jimble as northward as possible, and into the Generator. I was done, there was nothing else to do, so I was going to dive right into the center, get exploded, and close the book.

That's mental. I've never had an issue with it like this, but I do agree with the goons who suggest it'd be nice to have some way to obtain expert tools. Like combining four advanced toolkits into an expert kit, or maxing out reputation with a particular faction and going on a special mission, etc...just something that would take a while to achieve and would ensure that you were at the approximate appropriate "place" where you should be finding expert toolkits anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You do get expert tools for becoming the #1 ranked stalker in the zone but good luck achieving that without already having them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You do get expert tools for becoming the #1 ranked stalker in the zone but good luck achieving that without already having them.

Huh I didn't realize that. Yeah that's a bit like getting a $100k cash prize for being a millionaire.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That's... okay then.

I'm thinking maybe next I'll play a bit more peacefully and go Ecologist, or be everyone's enemy as a Bandit.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Whelp, I got around to gamma and yeah, I appreciate the work put into making such an involved install simplified.
But wow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

That's... okay then.

I'm thinking maybe next I'll play a bit more peacefully and go Ecologist, or be everyone's enemy as a Bandit.

Be everyone's enemy as Monolith.
Thus starting with a vintorez and defying the curse

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

What's that? You like the Docter on my revolver?

You too can have a Rex with an optic.

Just check the upgrade tree. I went with the red dot over the scope rail

E: I reloaded a save and now it doesn't work

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 25, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I tried that but it didn't do anything, didn't add a sight, the scope rail mod lets you add the listed sights but the other one didn't do anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I noticed that too when I tired the Rex. Btw is there only one skin available for it? It’s kind ugly. It’s like someone heard of “Blued” metal revolvers and took it a bit too literally.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Has there been any stalker 2 news?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying out the Mags Redux mod this time around. Do you need to go into the inventory to switch to a fresh magazine?
Also, what's the mod that makes it so people get angy when you try to loot bodies they killed, that one is annoying.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ekuNNN posted:

I'm trying out the Mags Redux mod this time around. Do you need to go into the inventory to switch to a fresh magazine?
Also, what's the mod that makes it so people get angy when you try to loot bodies they killed, that one is annoying.

Either right click mags and select the option to add them to your loadout or just alt+left click on mags. It should throw them to the top of the menu with a highlighted color box around them. The amount of magazines you can ready in this fashion is determined by your armor (and the combat backpack adds a bit of extra capacity).

Should look something like this:

There are a few options to change behaviors (and the color of the highlight box) but generally completely empty magazines will be removed from your loadout on reload (so it doesn't try to load them again later despite being empty) and you need an empty magazine slot to put the mag you're removing into or it'll be dropped on the ground (this can be disabled if desired).

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! :3:
While I really like GAMMA, its a good example of the annoying future we live in were all information is either hidden in discords or videos, instead of just webpages or forums like in the olden days :corsair:

edit: oh apparently shift+r changes mags? oh just R, I can see it changing now I've expended some bullets on a couple bandits who were chilling at the mill

What were the percentage values were its useful to keep parts again? always remove green parts from guns, right?

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 27, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

60% or higher are the easily repairable parts. There are kits that can repair worse, but they're rare and difficult to make or a bit expensive.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! :glomp:
last time i played i forgot its important to repair your poo poo early and often, and then it took me days to get my armor fixed back up. This time im making sure ive got enough emergency repair kits to stay above 90% all the time

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 27, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I wish more games had a system like Mags Redux, although I understand that it would be wildly unpopular unless it was optional, and I doubt most games would bother to implement it as a purely optional gameplay mechanic. It can just have such a radical effect on the game and the way you approach fights.

But I can dream…

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, mags redux is awesome. Emptying all 3 mags of my 1911 and having to hide in a shed while bleeding and blacking out to refill one of them as two renegades were trying to find me was awesome and tense. it adds a lot to the game, without being too much annoying micromanaging. Also it makes finding lovely broken guns a bit more fun because often they'll at least have a nice mag :3:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

ekuNNN posted:

Sometimes I wish I could call over an impartial referee because I swear my shot was the last shot that downed an enemy, or it was a tie at the very least :v:

It's "G.A.M.M.A. NPC Loot Claim Remade" under GAMMA Economy and Craft category, by the way. I leave it on myself, otherwise I'll do degenerate stuff like go to Army Warehouse and kick off a four-way faction war and just hoover up all the remains.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Now that I finally found my feet and dont die everytime I stumble, I've got to say some of the new music is nice, especially in the swamps, perhaps one of my least favourite places in the game.
E: huh, also in cordon. also, it seems the hip task just failed somehow

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Did she maybe get killed? Quest givers dying is sometimes the culprit for quests suddenly failing :ohdear: