Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's barely a sliver of what I'm being paid by the think tank to invent these results!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

As someone who is deeply involved in the pharmaceutical sector in NZ the removal of prescription charges is unambiguously good for a large number of reasons.

1) Everyone getting a prescription saves some money.
1a) Everyone actually saves quite a lot more money than initially apparent. E.g. doctors will now freely write scripts for common medicines (paracetamol, ibuprofen, like a thousand common dermatology things) to allow people access at zero cost to them.
1b) The country saves in aggregate a HUGE amount of money due to people accessing those medicines at wholesale prices instead of buying the OTC from the pharmacy or supermarket at huge huge markups.
As and example let's look at paracetamol, the cheapest you personally can get it is chemist warehouse, $4.60 for 100 tabs and everywhere else it can be significantly more expensive. The gov gets it for $17 for 1000 tabs.

2) One more barrier to accessing medicines is removed. Wholly good.
2a) The people who are the sickest are the ones who can least afford the copay.
2b) People actually taking their medicine keeps them out of further care saving money on more medicine or hospitalisation down the line.

3) It reduces bureaucracy around prescriptions, the pharmacy sector is already under huge pressure and every bit helps.

4) Bargain chemist and chemist warehouse lose their loss leader advantage, which is good cause they are destroying the pharmacy sector by cherry picking low complexity high profit patients.

5) I don't have to think about it at work anymore.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

I agree 100% with what it's implying, but spidey sense is tingling and I'm wondering about selection bias; are free prescriptions handed out more often for less severe maladies, etc?

The "free prescriptions" in this example were paid for by the study itself

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
but at what cost !!!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

but at what cost !!!

$618.6million it's right there in the budget

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

exmarx posted:

but at what cost !!!

$5

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx posted:

they've brought back the ministry of works btw

https://www.raupaenga.co.nz/

many people saying this https://www.newsroom.co.nz/pro/new-100m-ministry-of-works-already-helping-troubled-public-projects

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm skeptical.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

now expand it to centralise all acquisitions for public services :sickos:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The greens list ranking got released today!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
good to see a communist in the top 5

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

is it worth throwing my local vote at the Palmy guy? Probably not

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Firstscion posted:

is it worth throwing my local vote at the Palmy guy? Probably not

It is a fairly safe Labour seat, unless something changes closer to the election it is fine to vote Green. There is a tiny bit of pressure on Labour, and on your local candidate to trend left as their margins decrease.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

exmarx posted:

good to see a communist in the top 5

be a bit of a shock to see james shaw anywhere other than the top 2 tbh

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
And another poll!

https://twitter.com/lachlanp_/status/1660511054164795393?s=20

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Excellent work conducting a survey before the budget is released. That's definitely never affected polls in the past.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

use words, not emoji. gently caress!

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/country/490413/ratio-of-sheep-to-people-drops-below-five-to-one-for-first-time-in-170-years

i'm worried we're not shagging enough sheep!!!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
a less trustworthy poll than the roy morgan... impressive...

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

this is cow country now, bitch

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I have a really hard time believing National has dropped to 23%

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Horizon are a polling-as-business company who recruit people by offering a chance to win an iPad. Their sample is very much not representative, but it's probably internally consistent and shows more or less the same story as their last poll in January, maybe Nat/ACT slightly down and Lab/Green/TPM slightly up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah, i believe down, but not THAT far down

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In other news, teachers have voted for another strike on 31st May. Urgent negotiations happening this week and next to try and avoid it and now that the budgets done and dusted there might be more scope for Tinetti to move on the demands.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

redleader posted:

use words, not emoji. gently caress!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I thought the PPTA had just suspended all planned action as they were considering a new offer that came to them just after the budget was announced.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

I thought the PPTA had just suspended all planned action as they were considering a new offer that came to them just after the budget was announced.

Yeah they've agreed no action until the 30th. Strike is planned for the 31st if whatever offer comes through gets rejected I guess

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/131769530/david-parker-failed-to-stop-nzs-11thbiggest-emitter-beating-a-climate-law

pretty funny article in retrospect

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Saros posted:

As someone who is deeply involved in the pharmaceutical sector in NZ the removal of prescription charges is unambiguously good for a large number of reasons.

1) Everyone getting a prescription saves some money.
1a) Everyone actually saves quite a lot more money than initially apparent. E.g. doctors will now freely write scripts for common medicines (paracetamol, ibuprofen, like a thousand common dermatology things) to allow people access at zero cost to them.
1b) The country saves in aggregate a HUGE amount of money due to people accessing those medicines at wholesale prices instead of buying the OTC from the pharmacy or supermarket at huge huge markups.
As and example let's look at paracetamol, the cheapest you personally can get it is chemist warehouse, $4.60 for 100 tabs and everywhere else it can be significantly more expensive. The gov gets it for $17 for 1000 tabs.

2) One more barrier to accessing medicines is removed. Wholly good.
2a) The people who are the sickest are the ones who can least afford the copay.
2b) People actually taking their medicine keeps them out of further care saving money on more medicine or hospitalisation down the line.

3) It reduces bureaucracy around prescriptions, the pharmacy sector is already under huge pressure and every bit helps.

4) Bargain chemist and chemist warehouse lose their loss leader advantage, which is good cause they are destroying the pharmacy sector by cherry picking low complexity high profit patients.

5) I don't have to think about it at work anymore.

I work in a pharmacy and I am keen to see what would happen.

chemist warehouse (and bargain chemist) have such a gross aesthetic in there. If I had to work in one I would be suicidal (I am anyway lol)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I don't enjoy using Chemist Warehouse, but also gently caress getting scalped for antihistamines. Especially when a 5 pack and a 30 pack come in almost identical packaging, I felt like I was being scammed on purpose.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my mum thinks the reason nz has dropped in the world happiness index is because of co-governance

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I don't enjoy using Chemist Warehouse, but also gently caress getting scalped for antihistamines. Especially when a 5 pack and a 30 pack come in almost identical packaging, I felt like I was being scammed on purpose.

Yeah my partner takes melatonin for sleep and it's like half the price at chemist warehouse to anywhere else. Doesn't feel great because I know they're a poo poo business, but I can save like $40-50 by going to there once a month or so for stuff like hair dye, nappies, and various OTC or unfunded meds.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Pom posted:

generally those prices come from the suppliers to us, we generally apply bog standard markups, and yes the price of some drugs is incredible, but it's not the pharmacy itself taking the majority of the cream

unfortunately the contracts pharmac negotiate for the price of drugs stipulates that we can't sell those drugs otc, ie, we can't sell the lorafix brand loratadine we have in the dispensary otc. some pharmacies of course do this, and THEY make insane markups, but they'll get pinged sooner or later

canesten 3 day vag thrush treatment went from $22 earlier this year to $24 and now $26 .. eek

my professional advice? dont get sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Yeah my partner takes melatonin for sleep and it's like half the price at chemist warehouse to anywhere else. Doesn't feel great because I know they're a poo poo business, but I can save like $40-50 by going to there once a month or so for stuff like hair dye, nappies, and various OTC or unfunded meds.

how much do they charge for melatonin

they have flyers that we use to guide prices. because of the commerce commission pharmacies cant discuss with others what prices they charge because it'd be collusion, so everyone is kind of guessing

prescriptions medicines that are unfunded is a weird game. how much should I charge for boner pills? at my pharmacy it's different for different people, because we process prescriptions in our software and it just suggests we charge people what we charged last time, and so there is a large variety in charges for the same item. I tried to raise this with my boss but she didn't really want to address it and make a flat rate. she is a good pharmacist but by gently caress does she hate the idea of change. such a rigid thought process

the place is micromanaged, and we're watched on camera and told to stop talking to people etc. I can't handle it, my self esteem is like a wet tissue, truly pathetic, and I cannot handle it for much longer. oh how I wish I had energy to look for a new job rather than just feel sad all the time. LOL

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

wish they'd make melatonin available outside a prescription, i can't be bothered doing paperwork for night nights.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

how much do they charge for melatonin

they have flyers that we use to guide prices. because of the commerce commission pharmacies cant discuss with others what prices they charge because it'd be collusion, so everyone is kind of guessing

prescriptions medicines that are unfunded is a weird game. how much should I charge for boner pills? at my pharmacy it's different for different people, because we process prescriptions in our software and it just suggests we charge people what we charged last time, and so there is a large variety in charges for the same item. I tried to raise this with my boss but she didn't really want to address it and make a flat rate. she is a good pharmacist but by gently caress does she hate the idea of change. such a rigid thought process

the place is micromanaged, and we're watched on camera and told to stop talking to people etc. I can't handle it, my self esteem is like a wet tissue, truly pathetic, and I cannot handle it for much longer. oh how I wish I had energy to look for a new job rather than just feel sad all the time. LOL

I think it was like $18 for 30x3mg? The other pharmacies around here charge $40+ for the same prescription.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Melatowns

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Regarding melatonin you can just buy a 700 litre tub of Amazon for 17 cents, and I've done it and so have friend of mine and I've never gotten in trouble.
That said, I've started using prescription ones because they are slow release and also who knows what's in Amazon melatonin pills.

Edit: I'm not even sure they work lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

Regarding melatonin you can just buy a 700 litre tub of Amazon for 17 cents, and I've done it and so have friend of mine and I've never gotten in trouble.
That said, I've started using prescription ones because they are slow release and also who knows what's in Amazon melatonin pills.

Edit: I'm not even sure they work lol

I heard slow release is useless for helping sleep, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

echinopsis posted:

If you are anywhere near Welly come work for the devil itself in government.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 24, 2023