Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Size does vary a ton. I got some printed Mordians, as well as the prints I convert into Vostroyans that are much more "heroic" in scale and look a bit too big next to my marines. I've also got a handful of Obliterators that are fully 10mm, I can only fit 3 to a stand, they are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Is there going to be a reason to own Kill Team Annual 2022 when the 2023 version comes out soon?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lucinice posted:

Is there going to be a reason to own Kill Team Annual 2022 when the 2023 version comes out soon?

In the presentation where they announced the new annual they just said it's gonna have all the rules for the gallowdark teams compiled together.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

thebardyspoon posted:

In the presentation where they announced the new annual they just said it's gonna have all the rules for the gallowdark teams compiled together.

Will 2022 continue to be on sale then?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lucinice posted:

Will 2022 continue to be on sale then?

Probably. I mean, I'd hope so, unless they're planning on retiring all those bespoke kill teams.

But I really checked the thread to post Rogue Hobbies' new video, not to indulge in rank speculation. She's doing weird miniatures of all sorts (off-color, Easter eggs, etc. from all the way back into the 80s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B23XWi_nfBM

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pretty sure the new expansion was gone in sixty seconds on the US site.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran
Didn't even take that loving long, it was gone before it was actually active. Went into my cart, then GW said "gently caress making products" and here we are, Piety and Pain, Cursed City, Gallowfall and anything else interesting they might put out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I still cant believe I managed to get soulshackle when I did, I feel very very lucky.

I really hope I manage to get a copy of Leviathan if this is the kind of situation we're facing...

It's utterly bizzare to me that GW is experiencing such a massive level of success and they are regularly selling out but wont match that with increased production capacity, for their sake they better not screw up they're big chance to hit the big leagues with 10th.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Luckily pre-ordering through one of my local independent shops has worked out fine for me, but the GW pre-order and supply chain issues have gotten just absurd. There's also a comic book shop nearby that also carries Warhammer stuff but a lot of people don't realize it. They still had two copies of Gallowfall sitting around yesterday.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Well that was infuriating; it was in my cart, and when I tried to check out with time on the clock before it was even supposed to be available to preorder, it had sold out and wouldn't let me check out. They really need to stop making these things limited runs if they're not willing to do produce an adequate amount for the initial demand or prevent scalpers from buying their stock instantly.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Al-Saqr posted:

I still cant believe I managed to get soulshackle when I did, I feel very very lucky.

I really hope I manage to get a copy of Leviathan if this is the kind of situation we're facing...

It's utterly bizzare to me that GW is experiencing such a massive level of success and they are regularly selling out but wont match that with increased production capacity, for their sake they better not screw up they're big chance to hit the big leagues with 10th.

Supposedly their ability to source printed cardboard has been limiting their production since at least Cursed City. This was previously sourced from China, but global supply chain issues have made that difficult. Supposedly.

Also, I would be very surprised if these stock shortages aren't atleast partially due to them producing an absolute boatload of Leviathan boxes, and thus having to squeeze production for other releases.

Finally, I would be very surprised if they didn't lead with the made-to-order system they implemented for Indomitus. They caught so much flak for it then, it would be very dumb to repeat the same mistake.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They have also tapped out the Lenton electrical grid. A fourth(?) production facility was laid down years ago at this point, but they need new mains sent to get it running. Not sure why that hasn't happened yet since they have had plenty of time and seems like enough money to just make it happen.

Wasn't there also some warehousing thing they were doing closer to Birmingham? Not sure how that was supposed to work and it sure doesn't seem like it has done anything.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ngl 15 model kill team is something I find difficult to see how one is supposed to beat that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Robert Facepalmer posted:

They have also tapped out the Lenton electrical grid. A fourth(?) production facility was laid down years ago at this point, but they need new mains sent to get it running. Not sure why that hasn't happened yet since they have had plenty of time and seems like enough money to just make it happen.

Wasn't there also some warehousing thing they were doing closer to Birmingham? Not sure how that was supposed to work and it sure doesn't seem like it has done anything.

I remember hearing that they'd have to upgrade the whole power grid that production facility is connected to to finish it up

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Wasn't there an article earlier this year pointing out that a lot of this is GW being really bad at supply chain management more than production issues? Stuff like bad software for planning out where to ship supply, to track it, etc?

I know local shops absolutely are frustrated with GW because it's so unpredictable what they will get and when.

I wouldn't worry about Leviathan, though. For the important box sets they make sure there are plenty to go around. They did a made to order run on Indomitus when it sold out, and I imagine that will happen here. They're probably also putting most of their effort into Leviathan just to not flub the launch too bad.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They need to strike a balance between Indomitus and 'oops, all dominion'

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

They’ve been in the process of upgrading their ERM software for years, and anyone who’s managed logistics knows that’s a titanic and difficult task at the best of times. Back in 2021 there were persistent rumors that something had gone catastrophically wrong during the data migration, which was at least part of the cause behind the cursed city debacle. I believe that more than the cardboard story, though both can be true. The speed and completeness with which they memory holed cursed city suggests to me that they weren’t sure if they’d ever be able to produce it again, not just that they were facing supplier delays.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's super cool the space dwarves have a jetpack trooper. I thought it was super weird to see rules for Fly in Kill Team but read the roster for Sisters and see no Seraphim, the roster for Orks and see no Rokkit Boy, and the roster for Space Marines and see guys named Assault Guy who don't have jetpacks. Besides the dwarves now, who even flies???

I am updating my wish for a new Sisters kill team to a wish for a new Sisters kill team that includes a jetpack.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The old form of Kill Team was heavily criticised for requiring you to buy multiple model kits to get one or two individual things from each. GW seems to have firmly moved away from the era where 'having options outside of the strict limits of a given box' was considered a mainstream part of the game or hobby.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think fly is generally considered very good in the open killteam arenas, so it being relatively rare makes a lot of sense. Of course that new chaos cultist KT lets you give the cultists fly when they mutate apparently so potentially you can get a whole team of flying demon monster things eventually.

The Ashes of Faith teams are both quite weird, usually the big boxes are good deals if you want everything at least a little bit/are willing to sell the bits you don't want but usually buying them separately feels fine afterwards. The Ashes of Faith ones are almost the opposite, the Cultist one is made up of 3 different boxes of things so if you want them separately now that the box is sold out and presumably never coming back, you'll have to buy 3 different units to make them and they cost about as much as that box did.

The Inquisitor one is even more of a mystery as to how they're gonna sell it on it's own, it's a sprue that builds 7 dudes with some choices precluding others and then you need to chuck 5 of some other KT on it for it to be legal. The Inquisition part on it's own seems like a tall order to be £32 like other KT boxes, maybe they'll include 2 sets of sprues so you can make everybody?

So now that the box is gone and slightly better "value" option with it, I'm very unlikely to ever want to play either of those two KTs because buying them separately just feels bad.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 21, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I do wonder if they'll do a reprint/MTO run. I gotta say, I'm disappointed that GW seems to have stopped doing the MTO pre-orders like they were doing for a bit earlier on the pandemic. It was elegant.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Squibsy posted:

The old form of Kill Team was heavily criticised for requiring you to buy multiple model kits to get one or two individual things from each. GW seems to have firmly moved away from the era where 'having options outside of the strict limits of a given box' was considered a mainstream part of the game or hobby.

I see the wisdom in this, but Sisters are a compendium team right now where far as I know (new to hobby) you can only play them out of one box if you go 10 Battle Sister troops. If you want Repentia or Arco Flagellants you're looking at a separate box buy anyway,* so why not have jet pack troops as a choice?

In conclusion new bespoke box of real Sisters, not scout equivalents, please.

*Or buying that combat patrol box that's gonna give you...jetpack troops anyway!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SuperKlaus posted:

I see the wisdom in this, but Sisters are a compendium team right now where far as I know (new to hobby) you can only play them out of one box if you go 10 Battle Sister troops. If you want Repentia or Arco Flagellants you're looking at a separate box buy anyway,* so why not have jet pack troops as a choice?

In conclusion new bespoke box of real Sisters, not scout equivalents, please.

*Or buying that combat patrol box that's gonna give you...jetpack troops anyway!

The KT specific Sisters team is Novitiates, which are SoBs in training. It would be cool if there was a power armoured Sisters KT with at least one jump pack operative.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SuperKlaus posted:

It's super cool the space dwarves have a jetpack trooper. I thought it was super weird to see rules for Fly in Kill Team but read the roster for Sisters and see no Seraphim, the roster for Orks and see no Rokkit Boy, and the roster for Space Marines and see guys named Assault Guy who don't have jetpacks. Besides the dwarves now, who even flies???

I am updating my wish for a new Sisters kill team to a wish for a new Sisters kill team that includes a jetpack.

Tau drones fly!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Besides the dwarves now, who even flies???

harlequins. warpcoven get a psy power to fly also

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The Corsair Shade Runner has Fly, I believe, and the Kommando Grot has "counts as" Fly.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

The KT specific Sisters team is Novitiates, which are SoBs in training. It would be cool if there was a power armoured Sisters KT with at least one jump pack operative.

Yeah that's what I want. I personally view the SoB as essentially a Space Marine chapter taking the chapter gimmick farther than most and it drives me up the wall that Novitiates don't look right. Credit to the Novitiate Penitent though, who I like a lot more than a "full" Sister Repentia. I just want armored nuns with guns! I'll shut up about it now, though.

What about playing Kill Team on a hex map? Perusing the rules makes it look amenable to that, with the benefit of easy range measuring/movement and no arguments about distances/cover and stuff.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah that's what I want. I personally view the SoB as essentially a Space Marine chapter taking the chapter gimmick farther than most and it drives me up the wall that Novitiates don't look right. Credit to the Novitiate Penitent though, who I like a lot more than a "full" Sister Repentia. I just want armored nuns with guns! I'll shut up about it now, though.

What about playing Kill Team on a hex map? Perusing the rules makes it look amenable to that, with the benefit of easy range measuring/movement and no arguments about distances/cover and stuff.

Might work if both teams all have operatives on 25mm bases, but many teams have larger bases and some even have operative with different base sizes. Blooded teams are on 25mm, except the commisar on a 32mm, and the mutant ogryn on a 40mm.

EDIT - Actually if you played on a 1mm hex grid it might work :v:

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 22, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

Might work if both teams all have operatives on 25mm bases, but many teams have larger bases and some even have operative with different base sizes. Blooded teams are on 25mm, except the commisar on a 32mm, and the mutant ogryn on a 40mm.

There'd be some minor impact from 25/32 but it's not that big a deal. And big bases could just take a 3 hex triangle.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah 7mm difference is not a big deal :dadjoke:. My thinking, after having played X-Wing, is doing things with a grid would be technically different in cases like the identified different base sizes but you gain so much in no longer worrying about "dang it bumped the mini" and "ohh he's just 0.01 inches from having that shot" that it's totally worth it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Having a grid of a standard size, even if you don't strictly follow it, can speed up measuring a whole lot

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I've gotten five games in on WH: Underworlds, and I've won only one. Two were quite close, but I got my teeth absolutely pushed in twice. And everyone I played against was one of my mates, who were all beginners and using my warbands.

I love the game, but I can't decide whether I suck at it, or if I just have the worst luck when it comes to drawing objectives. Probably both.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Warden posted:

I've gotten five games in on WH: Underworlds, and I've won only one. Two were quite close, but I got my teeth absolutely pushed in twice. And everyone I played against was one of my mates, who were all beginners and using my warbands.

I love the game, but I can't decide whether I suck at it, or if I just have the worst luck when it comes to drawing objectives. Probably both.

I would say poo poo luck if you guys are all begginers but there is variance in how hard some bands are to play

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I would say poo poo luck if you guys are all begginers but there is variance in how hard some bands are to play

Sons of Velmor seem to be a bit worse than Gnarlspirit Pack, that's for sure.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Besides the dwarves now, who even flies???

Couple other permanent fliers:
- The Gheistskull from Navy Breachers
- Two of the chaff demons in Gellerpox
- ALL the crypteks + both plasmacytes in Hierotek Circle

Terms and conditions apply flight:
- Spacecops (Exaction Squad) has one dude who gets to make a free move with fly at the end of the first turning point initiative phase, otherwise not permanent flight.
- Phobos / Space Marine Reivers get to do a fancy deploy with FLY if they use the Grav-Chute equipment and move with fly if they start their movement from a vantage point and end in a lower position. (gliders yo)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Warden posted:

When I was playing, deck composition could easily make or break a warband. I'm not sure if that's changed with the newer format, but some warbands would be destroyed if they didn't have the perfect combo of cards in their deck.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

berzerkmonkey posted:

When I was playing, deck composition could easily make or break a warband. I'm not sure if that's changed with the newer format, but some warbands would be destroyed if they didn't have the perfect combo of cards in their deck.

I never seem to get the gambit that brings a skelly back from the dead together with the objective that gives you glory for doing so, that's for sure.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, am I right reading Warpcoven (a non-Sisters team I think is cool) came into existence and overwrote Compendium 1000 Sons in the Kill Team Annual publication? Thus there is a chance, however small, that the 2023 Compendium will overwrite and buff Sisters?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Warden posted:

Sons of Velmor seem to be a bit worse than Gnarlspirit Pack, that's for sure.

Gnarlspirit Pack is a bit overpowered, yeah. They actually put out a beta rule to nerf them a bit. See the Beta Rules section on page 6: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/3hVqUJAA3PwmlQUt.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The Warpcoven were in White Dwarf originally I think, the annual just collected them and similar teams in an easier to get format whereas the 2023 annual is just going to be a collection of rules for all the teams from this last year in one book from what they said though, so it won't have new stuff in at all.

In terms of purpose, the White Dwarf supplement teams seemed to be there to upgrade compendium teams that weren't going to get a bespoke KT of their own (since in the fullness of time, Harlequins, Genestealers, Thousand Sons and Ad Mech haven't gotten their own KT release yet) to be more like the fully bespoke KTs so it would seem unlikely they'd give the Sisters the same "upgrade" treatment when they did get Novitiates.