Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Floppy disks are still big in Japan.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/japan-struggling-to-quit-floppy-disks-and-fax-machines/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Floppy disks are still big in certain industries where you have a lot of legacy computer-controlled equipment, where “legacy” means “only works when plugged into a certain kind of control board that doesn’t have Windows drivers at all because it hasn’t been manufactured since 1987”

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
Today I learned that there's a bipartisan bill in the works to ban kids under 13 from social media apps, and require parental consent for kids age 13-17 to use social media apps.

It's S.1291 - Protecting Kids on Social Media Act. It's been described as an update to COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which has been in effect for decades. COPPA is why anyone on Twitch who claims to be 12 or younger - even as a joke - can be and often is insta-banned, not as a joke.

Here's a legal blog about the Protecting Kids on Social Media Act. It's dated May 12th. The bill has apparently been around since April? I want to believe that I haven't heard much of it before now because it's nothing but political posturing/virtue signaling and it's going to go nowhere, but I don't know much about how fast bills typically move through the process to become a law.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/findlaw-for-teens/legislators-try-to-ban-social-media-for-kids/

Here's the text of the bill on GovTrack:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/118/s1291/text

I don't like this bill because in order to ensure that social media users are 18+, there will have to be some kind of ID verification system. Do you want to post on Twitter? Give them a photo of your driver's license. Twitter can totally be trusted with your photo ID, right? So can every other social media you want to use, right? It's not like identity theft is a pervasive problem or anything.

I wonder, would Something Awful require photo IDs, or just ban all Americans from posting...?

The other reason why I don't like this bill is that it wouldn't stop kids from doomscrolling the internet, or otherwise viewing internet content that's harmful to their mental health. It just allegedly stops kids from making social media accounts, with a massive invasion of privacy for everyone on the side. I don't think there are any quick and easy tech shortcuts to teaching children how to responsibly consume media content. What American kids really need is better media literacy education in schools.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Something Awful does not need to worry about children signing up.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 22, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well if we lived in a not-poo poo country it could be managed responsibly. As an example in South Korea you have what would most closely, though not directly, translate in to a social security number that everyone has that you need to use to register, like, a World of Warcraft account. Here in the US we would freak the gently caress out about that because someone getting your SS# can turbo gently caress your identity and completely ruin you financially. Being a responsible country, that number alone in South Korea doesn't allow you to do those things. It's just a first-step verification that everyone there uses kind of like we use our driver's license numbers here in the states, only they do it on the country level. So if we had a not-poo poo country run by a not-poo poo government, yeah online identity verification could be handled responsibly. I would even go so far as to say I'm open to the idea that, handled responsibly like it never will be, I would be supportive of online identity verification.

We don't fix problems as a country anymore though, so here we are and here we'll stay until it all goes completely to poo poo.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

cat botherer posted:

Something Awful does not need to worry about children signing up.

But prospective Something Awful users would have to worry about proving they're adults, regardless of the average user age of this site. There's no way to prove that I'm not a four month old with incredible luck smacking a keyboard right now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Last time I heard this sort of thing discussed the general consensus seemed to arrive at something like "government maintains a database that can give a y/n with anonymity" but yes I don't really expect that to be viable in the US anytime soon.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Even without the sovereign citizens and the people who think getting something with numbers on it will send you straight to hell, I really don't see the US adopting something like this unless it can be easily monetized by third party gatekeepers. We picked up credit scores real fast because of it making intermediaries rich, so if we were able to somehow create a non-SS-based authentication system that could hold regional monopolies it might happen? But from a federal standpoint this feels like a nonstarter.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 22, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ershalim posted:

Even without the sovereign citizens and the people who think getting something with numbers on it will send you straight to hell, I really don't see the US adopting something like this unless it can be easily monetized by third party gatekeepers. We picked up credit scores real fast because of it making intermediaries rich, so if we were able to somehow create a non-SS-based authentication system that could hold regional monopolies it might happen? But from a federal standpoint this feels like a nonstarter.

I mean the US needs a better national ID program anyways to protect people's data.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Ershalim posted:

I really don't see the US adopting something like this unless it can be easily monetized by third party gatekeepers.

I assume there are companies eager to set themselves up as middlemen and collect their new rent. It seems very easy to monetize, especially if they can market the data.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean the US needs a better national ID program anyways to protect people's data.

It does, yeah. But we don't really do infrastructure upgrades for the good of people. Partially because at least half of our legislature is paid not to, ofc, but even culturally changing things to be better is always a hard sell here.

Adenoid Dan posted:

I assume there are companies eager to set themselves up as middlemen and collect their new rent. It seems very easy to monetize, especially if they can market the data.

Probably. I wonder if it would end up being a major telecom company fiefdom situation because so much of online authentication is already kind of in their purview anyway. I wonder if we'll end up with cool new mergers like DisneyIdentity+ or Comcast4RL or something. Or if they'll be new start ups. I can almost see it already, sketchy knock-off idendities everywhere. :yosnice:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like something with a good chance of dying quietly once big social media companies start throwing money at lobbyists, and/or people start looking at enforcement. It's basically unenforceable without the creation of proper infrastructure, which is a lost technology to the Western world. Also lol imagine trying to explain the situation to crotchety tech-illiterate fossils in the Senate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Victar posted:

Today I learned that there's a bipartisan bill in the works to ban kids under 13 from social media apps, and require parental consent for kids age 13-17 to use social media apps.

It's S.1291 - Protecting Kids on Social Media Act. It's been described as an update to COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which has been in effect for decades. COPPA is why anyone on Twitch who claims to be 12 or younger - even as a joke - can be and often is insta-banned, not as a joke.

Here's a legal blog about the Protecting Kids on Social Media Act. It's dated May 12th. The bill has apparently been around since April? I want to believe that I haven't heard much of it before now because it's nothing but political posturing/virtue signaling and it's going to go nowhere, but I don't know much about how fast bills typically move through the process to become a law.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/findlaw-for-teens/legislators-try-to-ban-social-media-for-kids/

Here's the text of the bill on GovTrack:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/118/s1291/text

I don't like this bill because in order to ensure that social media users are 18+, there will have to be some kind of ID verification system. Do you want to post on Twitter? Give them a photo of your driver's license. Twitter can totally be trusted with your photo ID, right? So can every other social media you want to use, right? It's not like identity theft is a pervasive problem or anything.

I wonder, would Something Awful require photo IDs, or just ban all Americans from posting...?

The other reason why I don't like this bill is that it wouldn't stop kids from doomscrolling the internet, or otherwise viewing internet content that's harmful to their mental health. It just allegedly stops kids from making social media accounts, with a massive invasion of privacy for everyone on the side. I don't think there are any quick and easy tech shortcuts to teaching children how to responsibly consume media content. What American kids really need is better media literacy education in schools.

The text of the bill explicitly states, multiple times, that it does not require people to provide their government IDs to social media platforms. Moreover, it strongly discourages platforms from retaining the info used for age verification.

The bill also requires the government to create a government-run age verification program. While it doesn't require users or social media programs to use that particular program, it's obviously intended to be a primary option for that.

The fact that the bill prohibits the use of algorithmic recommendation systems on kids under 18 would certainly make it more difficult to doomscroll. If a user doesn't have an account and doesn't have the algorithm recording everything they see so that it can provide more of the same, then it's much more difficult to stumble into an unbroken feed of pure negativity.

I don't blame you for missing those parts, though, given that the blog post you read doesn't mention the first two points at all, and only briefly mentions the third.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I also imagine it's a great way for Republicans to further cut off LGBTA+ kids from any kind of social support online, as well as making everyone paranoid about the loss of anonymity for stuff that will get you persecuted under their government.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

I also imagine it's a great way for Republicans to further cut off LGBTA+ kids from any kind of social support online, as well as making everyone paranoid about the loss of anonymity for stuff that will get you persecuted under their government.

This bill is loving awful and this is exactly the type of poo poo that is going to happen if it gets signed into law. It's really embarrassing that any Dems are supporting it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Stay away from beef for a while. Until the FDA finishes their investigation at a minimum. https://www.wspa.com/news/state-news/cow-at-sc-beef-processing-plant-in-tests-positive-for-mad-cow-disease/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They should not ban kids from using social media, they should ban social media from existing. It is a pox on the earth and society cannot handle it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Queering Wheel posted:

This bill is loving awful and this is exactly the type of poo poo that is going to happen if it gets signed into law. It's really embarrassing that any Dems are supporting it.

Internet censorship like this is unfortunately catnip to liberals for some reason, see the Australian labor party trying to push a ham-fisted filter that would have crippled the internet they were trying to upgrade.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Stay away from beef for a while. Until the FDA finishes their investigation at a minimum. https://www.wspa.com/news/state-news/cow-at-sc-beef-processing-plant-in-tests-positive-for-mad-cow-disease/

Can’t it take years or decades for Creutzfeldt–Jakob to show symptoms in humans? It would be a long time before we knew whether this were an isolated case or whether it were capable of jumping to humans, wouldn’t it? I presume the cow version moves faster because they’re all killed and eaten so quickly.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Going to be great when a 14 yo needs more verification to go on reddit than to go to their job at Hooters

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Internet censorship like this is unfortunately catnip to liberals for some reason, see the Australian labor party trying to push a ham-fisted filter that would have crippled the internet they were trying to upgrade.

They either have absolutely no idea due to their brains being fossilized or are willfully ignorant/don't care how it'll be used against vulnerable groups and be such a pain that only big tech can afford to keep operating in such an environment, it's absolutely infuriating.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

koolkal posted:

Going to be great when a 14 yo needs more verification to go on reddit than to go to their job at Hooters

It’s going to get too frustrating to stream school shootings for kids to bother any more.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Can’t it take years or decades for Creutzfeldt–Jakob to show symptoms in humans? It would be a long time before we knew whether this were an isolated case or whether it were capable of jumping to humans, wouldn’t it? I presume the cow version moves faster because they’re all killed and eaten so quickly.

They've been testing for years at slaughterhouses and no longer feed sick livestock back to other livestock so it would almost certainly be isolated cases and not another outbreak.

Btw you can get venison tested for a similar prion disease (chronic wasting disease) and anyone who hunts should do so.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

the_steve posted:

I remember back in college/technical school, one of my teachers claimed in no uncertain terms that floppy disks would never go away because they were so universally useful.
This was back when thumbdrives were still fairly new and more of a status symbol than anything else to prove you were the biggest IT nerd.

Otoh

In 2014 I was still using floppy drives at a military base because they banned use of USB drives but not not floppy disks, and in 2023 I still need floppy disks to get data off of manufacturing equipment

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bird food bathtub posted:

Well if we lived in a not-poo poo country it could be managed responsibly. As an example in South Korea you have what would most closely, though not directly, translate in to a social security number that everyone has that you need to use to register, like, a World of Warcraft account. Here in the US we would freak the gently caress out about that because someone getting your SS# can turbo gently caress your identity and completely ruin you financially. Being a responsible country, that number alone in South Korea doesn't allow you to do those things. It's just a first-step verification that everyone there uses kind of like we use our driver's license numbers here in the states, only they do it on the country level. So if we had a not-poo poo country run by a not-poo poo government, yeah online identity verification could be handled responsibly. I would even go so far as to say I'm open to the idea that, handled responsibly like it never will be, I would be supportive of online identity verification.

We don't fix problems as a country anymore though, so here we are and here we'll stay until it all goes completely to poo poo.

In South Korea this system is a trainwreck and is the reason all those ID numbers are almost all easily accessible and available online. It's no social security number, but it's still not something you want leaked everywhere but whoops it is. Same for China, where they also use their actual ID number for everything, but it constantly gets leaked and Chinese people constantly become the target of fraud and other things because of it.

South Korea has impressively bad laws related to computers and the Internet (though, I think they're trying to make them better. I left a while ago.) Mostly because they tried really hard to be first, but once you make a law cementing something like that it becomes a problem when technology and culture advances past that law.

South Korea is very, very far from a responsible country. They do capitalist meat grinder almost better than the US.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've not had time to look into who is behind all of these bills, but age restriction/verification bills have been popping up in pretty much every state legislature. There's no immediate sign of the org writing them, and it doesn't look like it's a middleware company, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The article goes into, at length, why it's not a good basis to "stay away from beef for a while".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trump apparently removed all pork safety rules and Biden has not reinstated them. Good time to try going vegan.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rigel posted:

Please don't relitigate the 2016 election

Can we relitigate the 1916 election? Woodrow Wilson was a douche.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i thought ID.me was suppose to be the hot new thing the gov. is rolling out to used.

i remember 2020ish having the IRS be the first one to roll out its adoption. (which I recently did for my self because they're sundowning the old system this summer)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ID.me is the private corp that everybody freaked out about, Login.gov was the government-created version, and both are/were used by different departments.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
DeSantis never made any sense. Even if Trump dropped dead tomorrow the GOP was never just going to line up and give DeSantis the keys just because he trolled the libs real good. That poo poo plays sure, but to sew up a primary without being an incumbent you'd need way deeper party connections. I think he got suckered into being the guy to throw the gauntlet down to Trump symbolically, his entry decisively pushed this into a real primary, but we were headed there anyway. There are as many 'credible' (for the bizarro world of GOP politics) candidates announced or about to announce in this cycle as there were in 2012 or 2016. Trump's probably going to win as of right now, but all of these chancers know the political landscape has been changing on a dime every couple of months, the media and party will have to treat this as a real primary all the way until Iowa and New Hampshire.

Biden is as of now unlikely to face a real primary that the party or media will take seriously. I don't think politics is so broken that he will really have to do anything more than Trump did vis-a-vis swatting away Bill Weld. I'd much prefer Marianne Williamson was in the White House than any of these weirdos, but her and RFK Jr. don't got the juice on their own. They do add a bit of frisson (well Marianne does Jr. mostly discredits everything he touches) but it's not like Nikki Haley or Asa Hutchison could have forced a real primary against Trump on their own. Things can always change and politics are pretty broken, the right crazy billionaire could always try and mix things up the way a bunch of them tried in 2020.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I've not had time to look into who is behind all of these bills, but age restriction/verification bills have been popping up in pretty much every state legislature. There's no immediate sign of the org writing them, and it doesn't look like it's a middleware company, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

My guess is that people are starting to clue in to the fact that social media is a mind-poisoning hellscape that's effectively impossible to moderate, and restricting underage usage is a good way to satisfy public annoying by looking like they're being tough on social media without actually hurting the companies' main profit model (advertising to adults).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Main Paineframe posted:

My guess is that people are starting to clue in to the fact that social media is a mind-poisoning hellscape that's effectively impossible to moderate, and restricting underage usage is a good way to satisfy public annoying by looking like they're being tough on social media without actually hurting the companies' main profit model (advertising to adults).

Social media is definitely actively opposing this legislation- I've attended some of the hearings. This sort of legislation hitting so many states at once is coming from some third party.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DynamicSloth posted:

DeSantis never made any sense. Even if Trump dropped dead tomorrow the GOP was never just going to line up and give DeSantis the keys just because he trolled the libs real good. That poo poo plays sure, but to sew up a primary without being an incumbent you'd need way deeper party connections. I think he got suckered into being the guy to throw the gauntlet down to Trump symbolically, his entry decisively pushed this into a real primary, but we were headed there anyway. There are as many 'credible' (for the bizarro world of GOP politics) candidates announced or about to announce in this cycle as there were in 2012 or 2016. Trump's probably going to win as of right now, but all of these chancers know the political landscape has been changing on a dime every couple of months, the media and party will have to treat this as a real primary all the way until Iowa and New Hampshire.

Other than Ronny and Donny, who are the totally credible candidates coming out swinging? This year maybe we can count Scott and Haley together as 1 real candidate, which brings us up to 3 as soon as DeSantis actually announces. 2012 had like 5 theoretically actual candidates. 2016 had 6/7 on paper totally for real candidates who all got blown out by the gag choice. That's with us ignoring the Pauls, who had a way better shot than either of this year's non-Trump scam candidates.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Preventing young people from using social media also means that they are totally unaware of what is actually happening in the world except for the spin that their schools and mainstream media puts on things. It means that youth movements are harder to organize and that young people are less likely to be passionate about voting when they turn 18.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Last time I heard this sort of thing discussed the general consensus seemed to arrive at something like "government maintains a database that can give a y/n with anonymity" but yes I don't really expect that to be viable in the US anytime soon.

Yeah, but much like how the government could easily open the NICS system to everyone to get a y/n answer to 'should I sell this dude a gun', it has serious drawbacks in that it can be used for data mining and potentially identity theft.

DynamicSloth posted:

I think DeSantis makes sense when you consider he is a fanatic and a populist. He's running with the Trump and techbro strategy of just openly flouting the laws and hoping you get what you want before the courts can catch up to the sheer magnitude of bullshit you're spewing. I don't honestly think he wants the nomination, as seen by that bill to let him run without giving up the governorship, but I think he sees it as a good way to grift some funds and distract the feds while he serves up what he sees as softballs to the Opus Dei fanatic conservatives on the SCOTUS regarding social policy.

You don't get to the point of signing a bill making your state a sanctuary for non-custodial parents kidnapping trans kids to get custody if you give a gently caress what the federal response is going to be.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't honestly think he wants the nomination, as seen by that bill to let him run without giving up the governorship, but I think he sees it as a good way to grift some funds and distract the feds while he serves up what he sees as softballs to the Opus Dei fanatic conservatives on the SCOTUS regarding social policy.

I don't think that bill is in any way an indication that he doesn't want to get nominated. He absolutely wants the presidency or he wouldn't bother with any of this. The bill is just a way of hedging his bet, he didn't have the confidence (and rightly so lol) that he was going to win the nomination so he wanted to be able to maintain his status as governor if he failed/flamed out. If he were out of office entirely after flaming out he'd have a much harder time getting the nomination in the future.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I think he wants it, but I don't think he necessarily wants to win it this election. He's only 44.

I read it as him being perfectly happy to build up a campaign chest he'll follow Trump's example with and instantly roll over into a new campaign to preserve, on a plan to sweep in on the next Presidential election as the heir apparent to the MAGA right. It's a fair assumption that Trump is either medically or legally unable to run in 2028, he'll be 82 and doesn't take care of himself. The chances of the present Democratic party coming up with an actual candidate beyond a 'blue no matter who' center-right corporatist for him to face is extremely slim.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think DeSantis just wants. He's not going to not feel entitled to anything he can get, and he probably has little respect or concern for people's conventional notion about what kind of person 'gets' to go into the presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

ID.me is the private corp that everybody freaked out about, Login.gov was the government-created version, and both are/were used by different departments.

People rightfully flipped the gently caress out by ID.me, because it was a shitshow that deserved all the ire heaped upon it.

POV: I'm POA for my Dad who has severe dementia/paranoia and needed to access his social security benefits to do his taxes and estate planning (I also live in another state), and ID.me was the only way to access his government information when first introduced. Not only were the requirements ridiculous (multiple pictures of your state ID, current SS card, notarized POA documents, etc.), but the person whose name was on the account also had to attend a video conference call during an 8-hour window to verify their identity to an ID.me employee. This meant having his caretaker there for hours at a time on the date they'd call, which they usually never did. When they did call, my dad was confused and his initial account application was rejected because he didn't understand what they were asking. It took 3 weeks and nearly 10 hours on the phone to finally get it done.

gently caress them, gently caress digital wallets, gently caress getting old in this country.