Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah, Captain Tom Myers

Budget cuts biting for Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The first episode of each season of Lower Decks has always been the weakest, and the very first episode in particular has big pilot episode energy.

I liked seasons one and two and they were clearly written by people who loved TNG-era Trek, but they did often feel like sitcoms in Star Trek clothing, because they feel kind of nervous and unconfident in their ability to tell a story and have a tendency to undercut any serious moment and cram in too many gags.

Season three is an absolute glow up, it feels much more relaxed and confident and while not fundamentally different it does now feel like actual Star Trek, just lighter and punchier.

All of the new live action series are utterly wretched. Strange New Worlds isn't any better, it is exhausting to watch and RLM were bang on the money when they said that everyone talks like high school students.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

You should definitely have said that, never miss an opportunity to gently caress up someone's brain if you think you have a chance.

From the brief time I spent in Scotland honestly I think the net effect of living there would be that I just end up learning all the gaelic names for everything as well and both function as identifiers of the place.

Maybe I should have noted that she uses her sat nav to go everywhere so doesn't really read the signs.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I drove into Wales once, was on a motorway and the overhead signs put the speed limit at 20 (despite little traffic) accompanied by a message in Welsh. Only a few miles later did another overhead sign provide an English translation, saying that somebody was driving against the flow of traffic. I admit I would have appreciated an earlier heads up about that in English

Probably should have been a translation for that, yes.

Mega Comrade posted:

You should let them know that in the UK, only Welsh has official language status. So if anything should be on those signs, it should be Welsh.

I'd forgotten about that. Mind you I think it would have fallen on deaf ears. We have a mutual friend who is nb yet she seems completely unwilling to use that friend's preferred pronouns.

EDIT:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

All of the new live action series are utterly wretched. Strange New Worlds isn't any better, it is exhausting to watch and RLM were bang on the money when they said that everyone talks like high school students.

I was thinking of watching that but now I feel it would be a waste of time.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 22, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

You should definitely have said that, never miss an opportunity to gently caress up someone's brain if you think you have a chance.

From the brief time I spent in Scotland honestly I think the net effect of living there would be that I just end up learning all the gaelic names for everything as well and both function as identifiers of the place.

What you do is you make the different languages in different colours. So on an A road you'll have yellowy orange text for the Gaelic names & white for the English, & on B roads where the background is often white you can have the Gaelic in green & English in black. There's all sorts of studies that say that so long as there's a clear difference so you know which one to read then there's no problem.

Fun story, in the 20th century Skye came under Inverness County Council, which is the 2nd largest of the traditional counties after Yorkshire. It covered from the Outer Hebridies (excluding Lewis) to Dalwhinnie & Ballachulish to Beauly. A lot of that was what was left of Gaelic country, but Inverness had been majority Anglicised for a good few centuries & even back then was where people actually lived. So Inverness CC was very anti-Gaelic & there wasn't any Gaelic on roadsigns. Until 1973, when they were building a new road from Skye's major settlement, Portree, which involved buying land from a local landowner, Iain Noble, a minor noble whose family are traditionally from further south & who was educated at Eton & Oxford but who somehow decided to buy a chunk of land on Skye & suddenly become an advocate for Gaelic. In exchange for selling his land to the council he wanted them to put up bi-lingual roadsigns. ICC pissed & moaned about this, one councillor who also sat in the Lords even tried to pass legislation that specifically removed the right for Scottish local authorities to put Gaelic on road signs, but ultimately they caved in & that was the precedent set & slowly but surely every sign the council maintained has ended up bilingual, even as it's changed from ICC to Inverness & District to Highland. So far the major roads in the Highlands are mostly English only, the A9 & A96, though the A82 down the west coast has been changed. Iain Noble also ended up granting a chunk of his land to build the first Gaelic college in the country.

Ultimately it's reversing an Anglicising of place names that took part in the 18th & 19th century, and we're talking about tiny hamlets & small hillocks here, not just the major town/village in an an area. And that was all part of a policy of squashing the Highland savages & their sense of differences post-Culloden, though of course when you live in the least densely populated part of the UK you're going to be different, with different concerns & needs, regardless of whether or not you speak English or Gaelic.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This was Phil's send off after 20 years

https://twitter.com/JohnJamesNI/status/1660596083142131714

lmao :allears:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Quite interesting stuff.

The different colours for different languages sounds like a good idea.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

What you do is you make the different languages in different colours. So on an A road you'll have yellowy orange text for the Gaelic names & white for the English, & on B roads where the background is often white you can have the Gaelic in green & English in black. There's all sorts of studies that say that so long as there's a clear difference so you know which one to read then there's no problem.

I've always found the Irish system of putting the Irish place name in italics and the English with block capitals is perfectly readable for basically everyone. A more inclusive sign without losing any legibility.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like Lower Decks.

A lot of the Star Wars animated stuff has been good.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gaelic/Welsh roadsigns are good, purely because it boils the piss of Britnat psychos.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lewis Capaldis statue shows the pain we’re all feeling

https://twitter.com/stvnews/status/1660624257125081088?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
We don't need road signs at all anymore, just get rid.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The UK won't need road signs any more when no one can afford to drive and the trucks are all stuck at Customs.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

When I visited Edinburgh last year it was really nice to see them and compare Scottish Gaelic to Irish. Haven't been to Wales yet but I'll probably do the same. Multi-language signs are great.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But without the "children crossing" roadsign how will your Tesla know to go into ramming mode

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Road signs are just an excuse to not have free frog themed electric buses everywhere. Especially following Tim Farron at all times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was watching one of those youtube comedy videos where a bunch of comedians try and make each other laugh and this one the woman just stands stock still and says in a monotone: "say what you will about paedophiles, at least they drive slow near schools"

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
work is great, it's the whole needing to do it to survive that makes things miserable

so many folks trapped working jobs that shouldn't really even exist or that could be done in fewer days per week and with far less stress simply by means of not having your existence depend on it-

-give everyone ubi and jobs will either have to pay attractively enough/not treat workers like poo poo or simply not have workers, and that's probably what shits up capital so much about the prospect of ubi

if you gave up on lower decks after an episode or two then give it another try and skip em- as it goes on there's some really good trek in there but as noted the first two are the pilot and they were a bit different thereafter

ds9 4lyfe tho

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I'm driving in Wales I like to get my passengers to keep an eye out for that elusive and endangered indigenous creature, the slow araf. Their habitats are well signposted but catching a glimpse of one is still tricky.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The first episode of each season of Lower Decks has always been the weakest, and the very first episode in particular has big pilot episode energy.

I liked seasons one and two and they were clearly written by people who loved TNG-era Trek, but they did often feel like sitcoms in Star Trek clothing, because they feel kind of nervous and unconfident in their ability to tell a story and have a tendency to undercut any serious moment and cram in too many gags.

Season three is an absolute glow up, it feels much more relaxed and confident and while not fundamentally different it does now feel like actual Star Trek, just lighter and punchier.

Blower drecks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Strange New Worlds is brilliant and I'll hear no word against it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Skull Servant posted:

When I visited Edinburgh last year it was really nice to see them and compare Scottish Gaelic to Irish. Haven't been to Wales yet but I'll probably do the same. Multi-language signs are great.

i make fun of them cause i've never met a scot who knows gaelic well enough to even pronounce the signs but i agree that multi-language signs are good, we should add more languages to them if anything!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

More like Mundane Old Shite

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

ds9 4lyfe tho

Babylon 5 & Farscape are better. :c00lbert:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

When I'm driving in Wales I like to get my passengers to keep an eye out for that elusive and endangered indigenous creature, the slow araf. Their habitats are well signposted but catching a glimpse of one is still tricky.

There is a street near me where someone had misspelled 'araf 'as 'afar' which really gave the instruction a whole new meaning.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I would be fine with multilingual signs and frankly I think we should learn one of the Celtic languages. It's our national heritage even if the loving French Dutch and Nords did a bit of a super genocide.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
French are still trying to get rid of Breton, the most Britannic language, so Britain should bring that back too, maybe treat it as a strategic overseas reserve of Cornish.

Also the wearing of Breton hats
:ntlised:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Yeah I liked it fine and afaik so did most goons. Don't not try it just because of one guys opinion.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Microplastics posted:

I dunno i took one look at it, saw spock and captain pike on the eventerprise and just lost all interest. Previously mad Start trek fans being into it doesn't fill me with confidence that it isn't just the same old poo poo. I just don t care, its like the mandalorian i'm sure its fine but its just stuff ive seen before slightly remixed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

i make fun of them cause i've never met a scot who knows gaelic well enough to even pronounce the signs but i agree that multi-language signs are good, we should add more languages to them if anything!

You haven't spent enough time on the islands. But yeah, no one does Gaelic in schools here. Well, a very small percentage do.

I'm absolutely dogshit at pronouncing most of the Gaelic hill names, took me years to sus the bh was closer to a v sound

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The dual language signs in the ROI are an excellent guide to how the English butchered and bastardised lots of lovely Gaelic place names

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

You haven't spent enough time on the islands. But yeah, no one does Gaelic in schools here. Well, a very small percentage do.

I'm absolutely dogshit at pronouncing most of the Gaelic hill names, took me years to sus the bh was closer to a v sound

And in irish bh is a w sound instead. :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

And in irish bh is a w sound instead. :)

It's both

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Communist Thoughts posted:

As an Englishman living in Scotland, I think it's quite sad to be honest. I don't really judge anyone for not being encouraged (or forced) to learn it, but it does piss me off when the circular argument crops up of "it's not relevant because not enough people speak it, and we shouldn't waste any effort on teaching people because it's not relevant", especially if they live somewhere with a (bastardised) Gaelic name.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Scikar posted:

As an Englishman living in Scotland, I think it's quite sad to be honest. I don't really judge anyone for not being encouraged (or forced) to learn it, but it does piss me off when the circular argument crops up of "it's not relevant because not enough people speak it, and we shouldn't waste any effort on teaching people because it's not relevant", especially if they live somewhere with a (bastardised) Gaelic name.

See, this goes back to what I was saying this morning. Idleness is good. As a dumb kid with the opportunity to learn Gaelic, well, why? I've no intentions of living on Lewis, I already am rural enough in the area around Inverness, I want to be in a city. But if we all had much more free-time, there could be lessons for adults. And yeah, it might be easier to learn as a kid when your brain is more plastic, but let's be honest, teenagers aren't going to appreciate that because they are too busy being a hormonal mess. But as an almost 40 something a) the west coast & islands are far more attractive to me that they were when I was 12 or 13 & had to choose between studying 2 of French, Gaelic & German & b) I have much more appreciation of the history of Gaelic & most of all it's repression by a bunch of central belters who seemed deeply embarrassed by it. If I had the time & it was something that was accessible to me I would absolute go study Gaelic. It's not necessarily the language I'm the most interested in speaking but it's near the top.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just wish the choices growing up for languages to learn were more than French, German, Spanish or Italian. All good languages but generally it's all rather samey. The German at least is Germanic rather than Romance, but then English is Germanic.

What I'm saying is I wish I'd learned Japanese in school rather than having to do it myself.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Confusedslight posted:

Not from or in the uk but I've been following the Schofield drama from afar.
https://twitter.com/andrewmacfnz/status/1660449874494779392?s=20

gently caress me he looks rough

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah, Captain Tom Myers

is it just me or are there a hell of a lot more people about these days who are sufficiently chicken oriental to put something like this outside their house

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone must return to work, everyone wants to return to work.
It's called the Labour party Jeremy, people love us because they love working hard.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That change with dialect or just varying word to word?

Guess who tried and failed to learn it. :rolleyes:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

gently caress me he looks rough

he's on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i see