Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The only thing I want from the building system in this game is the ability to set devices to a secondary activation, set some emergency fans or rockets to go off when you need them instead of everything either being off or on.

Yep that and some basic logic gates, and an increased build limit, and hinges, and longer rocket duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
maybe some timers too, and for loops, and

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Vookatos posted:

I don't think they're necessarily better, but I enjoyed the central mechanism of each one and wish it'd stay. Those gimmicks weren't amazing, but they led to dungeons having identities, and coupled with actual themes could be made into something more. As of now, with no gimmicks like that, 1/5 of the dungeon is just something like "make the gear turn just like you did in that one shrine" which seems silly.
the temples are kind of a "ten step backwards, two step forwards" compared to botw for me: still not something that holds my interest, and they're basically just themed puzzle dungeons. some people probably like that, but they're not that much of a break from the usual flow of the game

but i'm also a cranky old guy who didn't like a lot of what what botw did overmuch, and i'd feel silly if i complained too much about totw already knowing it was just going to be more of botw

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Recall is the one that is probably the easiest to implement. And ascend, I guess. The really impressive work is fine tuning the Havok physics to not explode on touch/sight

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

https://twitter.com/BloodCrisisGame/status/1660374270126506002?t=X0ugQVOI_a_DZe96_qWt6Q&s=19

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It’s true, they’re right

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

Recall is the one that is probably the easiest to implement. And ascend, I guess. The really impressive work is fine tuning the Havok physics to not explode on touch/sight

ascend is absolutely not easy to implement lmao,

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
especially the "ascendable detection" system feels like a major headache to implement alone

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Augus posted:

Ascend is easy to implement badly.
The part that decides if it is green or red is not easy.
(there's also the whole bit of like... you have to build your game knowing that that is a thing players can do)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I kind of wish this game had an online component where you could share designs with friends or something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Ascend could be easy if it’s a default-deny system where only specially marked surfaces are ascendable. Including dynamic buildables makes it a little bit harder, but not anything close to the recall and build systems.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
These evil bastards made bombs such a rare commodity. Oh a bomb flower!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When I figured out on my own that you could lift up objects and rewind would track the objects movement and you could ascend during that rewind, I felt like I discovered something unintended and surely this is not something the developers planned around people doing to use all 3 at the same time.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

When I figured out on my own that you could lift up objects and rewind would track the objects movement and you could ascend during that rewind, I felt like I discovered something unintended and surely this is not something the developers planned around people doing to use all 3 at the same time.

It really really makes you feel like a sorcerer in the best kind of way.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there any way to fuse things directly from your inventory instead of dropping things on the ground first?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

ymgve posted:

Is there any way to fuse things directly from your inventory instead of dropping things on the ground first?

I don't think so. Probably the kludgiest part of the UI tbh.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFA2FAiyNVE

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to Silent Link's Cool Slaughterhouse

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Warcrimes of the Kingdom

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

kliras posted:

the temples are kind of a "ten step backwards, two step forwards" compared to botw for me: still not something that holds my interest, and they're basically just themed puzzle dungeons. some people probably like that, but they're not that much of a break from the usual flow of the game

but i'm also a cranky old guy who didn't like a lot of what what botw did overmuch, and i'd feel silly if i complained too much about totw already knowing it was just going to be more of botw

I think I prefer the divine beasts. Those at least made you understand the dungeon as a complete space, and two (elephant and camel) had a logical progression: understand how the control mechanics work for the first few terminals, and by that point you'll understand how to reach the further ones. These just feel like you're just going to the next room in a puzzle museum, and if you can't figure out this room just go to the next and figure this one out later. They look cooler, at least, but I want to be forced to have big eureka moments.

I am glad that shrine puzzle quality greatly improved.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
got my rear end blasted yesterday:

don't walk near a bomb plant with a flaming arrow nocked lol.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just had a Boss Bokoblin throw his entire squad to their death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cZIqu8uN8E

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Oxxidation posted:

the draconification rumors had to start somewhere so assumedly the three dragons were transformed zonai whose origins were lost to antiquity, but the game's not interested in exploring that further

I wonder if it might be explored in DLC, actually. I expect this game to get it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

icantfindaname posted:

And ascend, I guess.

I’m going to guess not since ascend is the only feature in the game with it’s own built in loading screen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

Napkin coding, etc, but Ascend shouldn't be too complex to execute beyond two colliders and a raycast or two. First collider and raycast finds the ceiling above you. If the whole sphere/cylinder hits clean (not bumping into a wall, hanging off an edge, etc) raycast up again to find the outer surface of the object. If THAT is also clear, you're good to Ascend.

Where it gets fucky is objects vertically stacked/attached together, but I suspect the trick here is to identify they're all part of the same object and iterate up through to the top object. Has anyone tried Ascending through loosely-stacked objects?

(I fully assume there's a whole lot more to it under the hood aside from this, of course)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5U7X799eU Somebody added ray-tracing to ToTK.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Napkin coding, etc, but Ascend shouldn't be too complex to execute beyond two colliders and a raycast or two. First collider and raycast finds the ceiling above you. If the whole sphere/cylinder hits clean (not bumping into a wall, hanging off an edge, etc) raycast up again to find the outer surface of the object. If THAT is also clear, you're good to Ascend.

Where it gets fucky is objects vertically stacked/attached together, but I suspect the trick here is to identify they're all part of the same object and iterate up through to the top object. Has anyone tried Ascending through loosely-stacked objects?

(I fully assume there's a whole lot more to it under the hood aside from this, of course)

I think the real issue is the logistics of "oh, every location is potentially a loading zone now"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

MissMarple posted:

Ascend is easy to implement badly.
The part that decides if it is green or red is not easy.
(there's also the whole bit of like... you have to build your game knowing that that is a thing players can do)

How many boxes can you ascend through?

What if they're stacked, not glued?

What if they're misaligned with each other.

It's not just "sample terrain map, look for flatness"

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It makes me nervous that the quest I got when the hole in the shelter wall opened up is called “Who Goes There?” That’s the title of the novella that The Thing is based on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fangz posted:

I think the real issue is the logistics of "oh, every location is potentially a loading zone now"

What do you think the "underground swimming" is obscuring?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Augus posted:

Apparently the game was shippable a year ago, but they spent an entire year polishing it. I imagine some of that was fixing all the spots where you could avoid the puzzle by using Ascend in an unexpected place.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ymgve posted:

Ascend could be easy if it’s a default-deny system where only specially marked surfaces are ascendable. Including dynamic buildables makes it a little bit harder, but not anything close to the recall and build systems.

So instead you go through every surface in the entire game and individually add tags?

lol, I say. lol.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slowpoke! posted:

Apparently the game was shippable a year ago, but they spent an entire year polishing it. I imagine some of that was adding all the spots where you could avoid the puzzle by using Ascend in an unexpected place.

They were improving the game, not making it worse

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

snoremac posted:

These evil bastards made bombs such a rare commodity. Oh a bomb flower!

There's loads of them underground!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Zonai constructs you build, how easily are they destroyed by enemies? I keep seeing these insane builds online taking out large groups of enemies, but I've tried to deploy devices against enemies, and each time the device disappears quickly, I'm guessing destroyed by them?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1103101476185833623/1110229837039288380/SPOILER_2023052216334800-CC47F0DEC75C1FD3B1F95FA9F9D57667.mp4

So there's gotta be a quest involving doing this, right?

Before you ask, Addison just has a speech bubble saying "President Hudson?!", nothing special. Purah is evidently just sick of Link's poo poo and just asks where he got the sign

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Nihonniboku posted:

Zonai constructs you build, how easily are they destroyed by enemies? I keep seeing these insane builds online taking out large groups of enemies, but I've tried to deploy devices against enemies, and each time the device disappears quickly, I'm guessing destroyed by them?
probably just the high power requirements disabling it quickly, unless the machine is destroying itself through some structural flaw

rockets also are one-time use; i guess they run on basic combustion rather than zonai power

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Icedude posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1103101476185833623/1110229837039288380/SPOILER_2023052216334800-CC47F0DEC75C1FD3B1F95FA9F9D57667.mp4

Before you ask, Addison just has a speech bubble saying "President Hudson?!", nothing special. Purah is evidently just sick of Link's poo poo and just asks where he got the sign

I think it might be used for the Tarrey Town quest where that rich rear end in a top hat starts collecting tolls on the free rails and you need to block his line of sight so Mattison can leave. However I used generic wood panels for that instead of looking for a way into the warehouse so I don't actually know how effective the signs are at that. Though given that he's only collecting tolls because Hudson's not there watching him, now I wanna know if you can trick him into thinking that is Hudson lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Icedude posted:

Literally my first thought after I fused one to my shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just got the Master sword and I'm tempted to fuse a boulder to it and use it as my ore/crate breaking weapon...