Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

But what about the content drought everyone keeps telling me has been happening!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

But what about the content drought everyone keeps telling me has been happening!?

wow i didn't know the entire playerbase posted on the official forums

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

every player is actually a streamer desperately seeking out content to keep the baying masses satiated for another fifteen seconds. game devs take note

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

It's an unsupported mod for the launcher that basically converts entire class rotations into something as light as your 123 combo being a single button PVP style, or as heavy as condensing the entire level 90 rotation into a single button. I like it for my arthritis cause less reaching around my keyboard helps it hurt less :shobon:

That sounds kinda neat. I might look into it, but probably not.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Remember when they had to stop selling the game for a few weeks of Endwalker's release because the game was just that popular

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 22, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Eve Online's developers showed a chart once that showed about 90% of their new players quit in two weeks and 99% within 90 days

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

That sounds kinda neat. I might look into it, but probably not.

I've looked into it, but I find I like XIVComboPlugin Expandedest better. It feels less complicated, and it always works.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kheldarn posted:

I've looked into it, but I find I like XIVComboPlugin Expandedest better. It feels less complicated, and it always works.

What's the difference between that and SlothCombo?

Also, SlothCombo hasn't had a new commit since February, so I'm not sure if it'd still work?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

FuturePastNow posted:

Eve Online's developers showed a chart once that showed about 90% of their new players quit in two weeks and 99% within 90 days

I cannot imagine why this would happen for Eve Online

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

do note that while you can give the combo plugins a run today, the custom launcher will be broken after tonight's patch, and every major patch this expansion has taken at least a day to get plugins back up and running. so... you know.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cleared my first ultimate :toot:

now i can do the thing where i turn on burger king crown and legend title and go die a bunch in an alliance raid.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Awesome! posted:

cleared my first ultimate :toot:

now i can do the thing where i turn on burger king crown and legend title and go die a bunch in an alliance raid.
As was foretold. Only reason why I cleared ultimates. And congrats!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Kheldarn posted:

This seems to be super useful because the button bloat in this game is insane. But I thought any addons were super prohibited?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

just don't talk about them in-game and no one who matters will care

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

anecdotally most of the people i know irl who play ffxiv are there largely to hang out and some have even made lasting friendships through the game so i'm not entirely surprised it's stickier than other games

e: I used the combo plugin for a bit but decided to stop because i like doing day 1 patch content too much

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Bruceski posted:

How far into a trash pull am I allowed to hit Bahamut, or should I just accept that I'm gonna be tanking the first ten seconds? On the tank side I find I just need two GCDs and an oGCD to have things on me, but dps side that doesn't seem to be happening.

Hit Bahamut the moment the tonk throws out their first GCD, save the flares for when everything is gathered or you have like four seconds left on the Bahamut counter. You are correct the tonk only need two GCDs to ensure you can go wild secure in the knowledge that they will protect you but like, tonks are baaaad and stuff.

After that the big thing is to try and ensure you have Titan up next after a pull so you can summon Titan and clap the mobs as you go. If it looks like you don't have time to press all the buttons summon all the things cause everything comes up fast enough that saving things doesn't matter so go hog wild.

Like seriously the big thing is to make sure you aren't stuck with Ifrit when you're running along, otherwise mash those buttons cause every second you don't pop Bahamut/Phoenix is an extra second you have to wait to pop the next Phoenix/Bahamut, and that's like The Worst Thing.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mr. Neutron posted:

This seems to be super useful because the button bloat in this game is insane. But I thought any addons were super prohibited?
As Vitamean said don't talk about them publicly, but especially don't use damage meters and such to talk negatively about other people.

XIVLauncher is nice even outside of giving plugin access too. Auto-login so you don't have to type your password in, file integrity checker in case you need to check for corrupted files

susan b buffering posted:

I used the combo plugin for a bit but decided to stop because i like doing day 1 patch content too much
I use XIVCombo for jobs I play occasionally or for when I was leveling jobs i don't like much but for my main jobs I stay away for this reason

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mr. Neutron posted:

Just to expand on the helpful posts of others, the reason you don't talk about any mods in game is because of course square can see anything typed, so all it takes is one person with a grudge and you're in cat jail.

No mods affect other people or their game, so if it's a texture mod, chat bubble mod, move consolidation, whatever, no one can know unless you tell them (and again, don't.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

oh there are definitely addons people use to cheat at pvp

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

oh there are definitely addons people use to cheat at pvp

There is, at the very least, an addon that automatically uses your LB, to my recollection.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Arist posted:

There is, at the very least, an addon that automatically uses your LB, to my recollection.

There was, and may still be, one that could detect casts and then automatically hit those people with cc to interrupt them. Remember a few angry posts about white mages running it and using the piggy to interrupt certain lb's.

Edit: That said, that's a price I will happily pay for the other QoL mods I use. Seeing my god drat death's design debuff on enemies in the aggro list is critical!!!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

stuff that like instantly targets someone who targets you and CCs them

plus the speed hax

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
so close to getting a dust bunny on my island!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I didn't read the patch notes, have they announced any new content for the island?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kwyndig posted:

I didn't read the patch notes, have they announced any new content for the island?

The number went up again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

More of the usual stuff, along with some new glams, new monsters to capture, and a limited amount of exterior house decorating being made available.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Kwyndig posted:

You can put outdoor furnishings on the island

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're also like glams, so you can put as many of one out as you want, regardless of how many are in your inventory

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Countblanc posted:

The number went up again

I'm mildly surprised that I've managed to go two whole weeks without accidentally talking to the mammet and loving up the patch day island xp boom.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rotoru posted:

Hit Bahamut the moment the tonk throws out their first GCD,

please make sure it's the first AOE gcd and not just a single tomahawk to grab something far away

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

They're also like glams, so you can put as many of one out as you want, regardless of how many are in your inventory

Oh I missed this, that's cool!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1659487820980047873
Your question was already answered I just think this is an amusing contrast of the Patch Name and the content being shown.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

while I don't doubt that there's people cheating in cc, I don't think you'll encounter it in any meaningful capacity outside of maybe hitting the upper echelons of crystal rank.

and, I mean, it takes very little awareness to realize that someone on the opposing team running in with a full LB bar might be worth holding on to your crowd control abilities for, or notice that the dragoon suddenly went untargetable and maybe it's time to shield up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vermain posted:

More or less, yes. Multiplayer titles very rarely see a continuous rise in their peak like what FFXIV's undergone, especially over such a long period of time. You generally peak early and then either plateau or start dropping rapidly, so that kind of slow, steady growth and retention is all the more remarkable.

And it feels as though this is getting worse and worse with many live-service/mmo style games switching to an extremely abusive F2P model.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
FFXIV has the advantage of having started as a disaster so it has nowhere to go but up.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ARR was 10 years ago and 1.0 was 13 so I’m not sure they can still ride that anyways

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

FFXIV has the advantage of having started as a disaster so it has nowhere to go but up.

I think there was absolutely the possibility for them to stagnate and decline after Stormblood, and the numbers would seem to bear that out. Shadowbringers was such a good expansion that it managed the impossible in giving a permanent boost to the subscription numbers of a nearly 5 year old MMO in a decade where the idea of a subscription service is a complete anachronism.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Being able to play a solid third of the game's story without paying a cent probably helped in that regard. Closer to half now if you grabbed Stormblood while it was free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

new patch? guess that means

we're back to the handsome boy