Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mlmp08 posted:

China doesn’t really seek a war. They seek credible counter-intervention.

A brilliant pull from the United States' old playbook. "Our ship was attacked in this here port, we have no choice but to preserve peace through military means."

FR though, most of China's imperialist ambitions are local, for now, and the main reason they can't act on them is that the West still holds the purse strings on the global economy. China has no desire to become a pariah state again, and their global ambitions are better realized through patience as the West destabilizes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Article made it clear most of those loans are through private entities sponsored by the state. So the path is very indirect towards the Chinese state annexing anything and more by proxy.

I don't think they have any desire to project much past their near sphere like the entanglements Africa would require.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I kinda wish China experienced an Afghanistan, as that'd make taking territory by force sound like a lovely idea for them.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think China has about a century or so worth of observations regarding the challenges involved in staging a military action halfway across the world, through watching the US and Europe repeatedly stepping on rakes trying to do this, with far superior logistical capabilities to boot.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I kinda wish China experienced an Afghanistan, as that'd make taking territory by force sound like a lovely idea for them.

Problem is it's a lesson that apparently needs to be repeated every time there's a generational change in leadership. China's last time was in Vietnam in '79. Look how long that knowledge lasted in the US

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Don Dongington posted:

I think China has about a century or so worth of observations regarding the challenges involved in staging a military action halfway across the world, through watching the US and Europe repeatedly stepping on rakes trying to do this, with far superior logistical capabilities to boot.

The US had plenty of time to watch Russia, the British, the French, and ourselves in the Philippines, and we still went into Afghanistan wearing bowling shoes.

China is no more comprised of rational actors and reasonable leaders than anywhere else in the world.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The US had plenty of time to watch Russia, the British, the French, and ourselves in the Philippines, and we still went into Afghanistan wearing bowling shoes.

China is no more comprised of rational actors and reasonable leaders than anywhere else in the world.

Now's as good of a time as any to remind everyone that the response of the generation who fought in, and protested against, Vietnam were the same ones who decided to do Vietnam x2 but EVEN HARDER AND LONGER.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
twitter has told me that china is the great force of anti-imperialism though

they will be greeted as liberators

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Now's as good of a time as any to remind everyone that the response of the generation who fought in, and protested against, Vietnam were the same ones who decided to do Vietnam x2 but EVEN HARDER AND LONGER.

And don't forget post Vietnam War, China decided it needed to invade Vietnam as well. They have their own Imperial ambitions and have been lording those powers over most of their SouthEast Asian partners/neighbors for ages, including cutting off water supplies.
Hell, there's a reason that Vietnam has reestablished diplomatic relations with the US, including allowing the US Navy to conduct port visits. China is threatening their fishing and water rights.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/biden-blames-maga-debt-ceiling-explainer-1234739178/

quote:

“I’m not going to agree to a deal that protects wealthy tax cheats and crypto traders while putting food assistance at risk for nearly one million Americans," Biden said.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 21, 2023

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://apnews.com/article/china-debt-banking-loans-financial-developing-countries-collapse-8df6f9fac3e1e758d0e6d8d5dfbd3ed6

China’s loans pushing world’s poorest countries to brink of collapse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

twitter has told me that china is the great force of anti-imperialism though

they will be greeted as liberators

It's only imperialism if NATO does it, otherwise it's just sparkling JDPON

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

File in: working as intended

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

They've kind of learned the opposite lesson in Nepal.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Afghanistan is a BRI "beneficiary" so I fully expect China to attempt Operation Useless Dirt Mk III sometime within the next decade.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Kazinsal posted:

Afghanistan is a BRI "beneficiary" so I fully expect China to attempt Operation Useless Dirt Mk III sometime within the next decade.

They already have diplomatic ties with the Taliban. Unfortunately their foreign policy didn't huff paint after 9/11 like ours.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LV getting ratio'd.

https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659348980759769088?s=20

https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659587891742363648?s=20

lmao https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659585969245364227?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The future is a useless, dangerous, proprietary version of a subway. Brilliant job.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Their rail is already expensive and the loving raiders took away free strip parking

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"This isn’t something from some futuristic sci-fi movie. It’s the Torment Nexus from the bestselling sci-fi novel 'Don't Create the Torment Nexus', and it could become a reality in a city near you."

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alan Smithee posted:

Their rail is already expensive and the loving raiders took away free strip parking

You mean monorail? Which only serves part of the strip?

Last year when I visited, I was really surprised/happy with the double decker buses they had. Constant loop running with a bunch of busses, lots of stops, hit most of the touristy areas and cheap for all day access.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The future is a useless, dangerous, proprietary version of a subway. Brilliant job.

Also significantly slower and with far less throughput, I think they're only going 25 mph on the one they've built on the strip and one seat of each car is taken up by the driver courtesy concierge.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Also significantly slower and with far less throughput, I think they're only going 25 mph on the one they've built on the strip and one seat of each car is taken up by the driver courtesy concierge.

The average speed of the nyc subway is 17 mph :smug:

nvm that it's got tons of stops to slow down and speed up from and moves an order of magnitude people more in a day than the loop will run in a year or probably it's lifespan

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've been to Vegas a few times, and I hated it for the same reason I hate most of Florida, in that the area overwhelmingly caters to tourists.

There's just something really off-putting and inauthentic about places that chase those tourist bucks so hard.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659577220485074945

:psypop:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Ray Stevenson died :( I didn't see a lot of his stuff later stuff, but Titus in Rome was a character for the ages.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

drat. Someone got the Punisher.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ah gently caress.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1660663816739274752?s=20

Fry Shocked Not Shocked dot gif

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Eason the Fifth posted:

Ray Stevenson died :( I didn't see a lot of his stuff later stuff, but Titus in Rome was a character for the ages.

Noooooooooooo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Watch Outpost, it's a good low budget flick involving Nazis fighting Ray

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Also watch Rome. Such a good show.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
His Blackbeard in Black Sails was great too. Him getting keel-hauled was one of the most brutal but hard-assed endings to a character I've ever seen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

Also watch Rome. Such a good show.

Not him, the cheerful brutish one

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yeah, I remember those guys. The only traction they ever got was from people who also have Andrew Yang bumper stickers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ah yes, the dead mall aesthetic, but undeground.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It definitely nails the Backrooms aesthetic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mustang posted:

I've been to Vegas a few times, and I hated it for the same reason I hate most of Florida, in that the area overwhelmingly caters to tourists.

There's just something really off-putting and inauthentic about places that chase those tourist bucks so hard.

Oh no, it's the worst city in america by a long margin. Just miserable. You can feel the sadness that just permeates the place not so much like god turned his back on it as his light never fell on it in the first place

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh no, it's the worst city in america by a long margin. Just miserable. You can feel the sadness that just permeates the place not so much like god turned his back on it as his light never fell on it in the first place

It's basically Water Rights Grift, the city

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Vegas is a shining beacon of righteousness compared to Atlantic City. I’d only go back to AC to laugh as it sinks into the ocean, and then piss into the Atlantic as one final gently caress you to that horrible place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Vegas is a shining beacon of righteousness compared to Atlantic City. I’d only go back to AC to laugh as it sinks into the ocean, and then piss into the Atlantic as one final gently caress you to that horrible place.

Good ol' AC. The end result of Jersey looking at Vegas and thinking, yep, we can do that but even shittier and more mobbed up.