Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah TBH when I get back into this game, the first thing I'll avoid doing is actually building agriculture up first despite it being ostensibly the "profitable" option. Beelining industrialization resources is much more important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
besides, right now, with the private construction queue, if you have big needs for meat or grain, you will usually see a private construction of a farm or a ranch here and there while you industrialize. It should be enough at the beginning to help your pops a bit without adding too many landlords

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't think that I have ever built an agricultural building except for livestock ranches or cotton plantations very early game (for construction materials) or the occasional dye / silk plantation to use as inputs for factories. Between the auto queue and taking stuff from the AI you always end up with plenty.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't think that I have ever built an agricultural building except for livestock ranches or cotton plantations very early game (for construction materials) or the occasional dye / silk plantation to use as inputs for factories. Between the auto queue and taking stuff from the AI you always end up with plenty.

I build opium.
Who doesn't want to be the worlds drug supplier?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've put in 150 hours of V3. I cant say that I've had to once ever build a livestock ranch because despite my population shooting up I never see my meat demand go up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'll weave in agricultural goods on my queue occasionally, but its usually more just for immediate goods or unemployment relief taking advantage of the cheaper/quicker construction of them (or use of investment pool funds) rather than a wholesale agrarian development plan

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know, I find myself needing to build a lot of plantations in order to keep up with the demands of my industry and increasingly wealthy population. This is why I value Punjab so highly if you start in that region--over 500 arable land with regular subsistence farms and almost all the best plantations available (except for sugar).

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Can only 20 construction be added to a given building a week, or is that a limit that can be raised by pops/infrastructure/what have you?

Also gently caress Venezuela, occupied 100% of their provinces in a war to puppet them and then they found an extra point of prestige somewhere, went back up to minor power, and then capitulated without becoming my puppet because that was no longer a valid war goal.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Does building agriculture buildings actually add land owners? Subsistence buildings have land owners and clergy as well. To be clear it's certainly better to be rid of them, but if you're just doing a subsistence to plantation swap laborers are more politically active than peasants, so you're coming out ahead there at least.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Barono posted:

Does building agriculture buildings actually add land owners? Subsistence buildings have land owners and clergy as well. To be clear it's certainly better to be rid of them, but if you're just doing a subsistence to plantation swap laborers are more politically active than peasants, so you're coming out ahead there at least.
It makes for wealthier landowners in any case, as the subsistence aristocrats aren't exactly rolling in money. More money means more political power.

Of course more money means more goes into the investment pool and more free buildings and so on, and the wealth that trickles down to the laborers probably means a more politically active rural folk if you want that, but it would give a political boost to the worst people as well.

It's definitely still worth it in a vacuum- more money is more taxes and consumption and so on- so it's definitely good for your country. But if there's an opportunity cost- if you could be making mines or factories instead- you might want to steer away from all but the most necessary investment in plantations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just now reading this. The biggest balance change seems to be that they nerfed corn laws. Having to have high grain prices isn't too much of a barrier (worst case, you could just delete some farms), but only getting an agitator instead of an IG leader makes this much less powerful. The agitator will still start some political movements to help you, which is nice, but the landowner interest group will fight you and will be very unhappy with any liberalization happening in your country. So your entrenched aristocracy will no longer be thrilled at the idea of abolishing serfdom and moving away from traditionalism because they got a new IG leader. Not sure if it's worth going out of your way to trigger anymore. It's also going to be a decent bit more difficult to avoid mutiny as British East India now, but they at least start with railroads now, which should speed up their early-game industrialization a little.

edit: I guess you just trigger an early civil war and let the british win that for you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

True, but a brief civil war to gently caress off slavery and then the landowner's power goes way down. The Church is a far bigger problem. But we'll see how far I get before the patch!

I find that the church is a problem that typically just solves itself. They tend to diminish in power as your population gets more educated and industralized, since a good chunk of their support comes from rural pops. They also don't tend to be major blockers on laws you'd really like to get rid of ASAP like landowners are. The biggest problem with them is that they like more discriminatory laws but you tend to be able to live with them without it causing too many problems while you wait for their clout to fade naturally over time.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know, I find myself needing to build a lot of plantations in order to keep up with the demands of my industry and increasingly wealthy population. This is why I value Punjab so highly if you start in that region--over 500 arable land with regular subsistence farms and almost all the best plantations available (except for sugar).

the Indus Valley is ridiculous. Also Argentina and Brazil could use way more arable land to represent the agricultural powerhouses they were imo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it Tuesday yet?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It is in UTC+38 timezone.

I myself am not terribly excited about the update. I've just played 1.2 game as France and I don't really see how these changes will make playing a major like this terribly exciting. Latest EU4 expansion gave majors some exciting broken abilities making the conquest of the world more interesting and varied, but Victoria is not about that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After several games getting to 20th century without even a glimmer of communism, I'm hoping the agitator system lets me actually take my country in the direction I want to, even if the path is bumpy, rather than simply not having certain options due to RNG. That's what I'm most excited for.

I'm also excited for land reform laws. Being able to essentially change the production methods on your subsistence farms is going to be really interesting.

That said- I'm worried about IGs in government making demands. It's good for a dynamic RP, but it makes it even more hopeless if you've just got the landowners in power forever. At least before you could push through a single reform by luck and have it stick while you were on the long slow process of chipping away at landowner power, but now, realistically but frustratingly, they'll actually try and roll back that reform while they're sitting in government.

I fear revolutions will be much more important tools in overthrowing the old order. I'm excited they'll apparently have more sensible distribution of power laws. But they'll break all your graphs so you can't see your history the whole game! And that's really unacceptable, even though revolutions would otherwise be really cool to rely on.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think the best takeaway is that there now going to be is more room for politics to remain interesting long term, hopefully the balance with agitators is such that you can feasibly break out of the landowners death grip even with them trying to get you to pass oppressive laws

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ilitarist posted:

It is in UTC+38 timezone.
lol

ilitarist posted:

I myself am not terribly excited about the update. I've just played 1.2 game as France and I don't really see how these changes will make playing a major like this terribly exciting.
I havent played in 4 months; I got the itch over a month ago but by then we knew a DLC was coming so I decided to wait for that, so I'm antsy regardless of what the DLC adds. I dont get to play a ton so I dont want to start new saves if they could get broken soon.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

A couple months ago I found a vanilla exploit to hit 100 SOL. I was going to make some clickbaity video about it, but real-life circumstances got in the way. And it's been patched in the new update so idk what to do with this knowledge

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Personally im excited to get ny Bonapartism on

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

scaterry posted:

A couple months ago I found a vanilla exploit to hit 100 SOL. I was going to make some clickbaity video about it, but real-life circumstances got in the way. And it's been patched in the new update so idk what to do with this knowledge

make a clickbait video about it anyways, but now its double clickbait because it'll only work if you rollback :smug:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sell it as a speedrun category. 100(SoL)%. Speedrunners will downpatch anything.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I feel like joining a customs union with great britain was a mistake cause it kinda just ... eliminates the entire trade game

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dunno what the deal is with these popping up,

But I want the Sphere of Influence one now, thanks.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The first big expansion is 2024 Q1. Wow.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-voice-of-the-people-now-available.1586203/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Dunno what the deal is with these popping up,

But I want the Sphere of Influence one now, thanks.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/529340?emclan=103582791470100761&emgid=3693559563028242226

They've just announced that stuff as part of 1.3 going live. Sphere of Influence, the first expansion, is dated for Q1 2024. Foreign investment is probably my #1 feature request, so I'm glad it's coming in the first big expansion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wow they've managed to hit the "gonna wait for the next patch" moment before the patch even releases

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

StashAugustine posted:

Wow they've managed to hit the "gonna wait for the next patch" moment before the patch even releases

The patch has released

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gort posted:

The patch has released

I thought it was gonna be out later in the day. Now I feel even worse about not calling in sick today lol

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Day night cycle in the upcoming cosmetic pack actually sounds kinda neat, I guess it's entirely so you can see the world at night get more and more lit up as cities grow and gas & electric lighting becomes more prevalent.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Has the update made things slower for anyone else?

My graphics are slightly below minimum recommended (intel 620 instead of 630), but it played fine before the patch, now even after turning the graphics way the gently caress down I've had to force quit like 3 times. Is my laptop just having a bad day?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Edit: wrong thread lmao

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Red Bones posted:

Day night cycle in the upcoming cosmetic pack actually sounds kinda neat, I guess it's entirely so you can see the world at night get more and more lit up as cities grow and gas & electric lighting becomes more prevalent.

Sounds like it's gonna break my system over its knee on speed 5.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
The new revolution system had some bugs in my first foray into this patch but I think it has some good ideas and has made the political system more interesting, so that's good. The quasi-announced DLC sounds alright, but it doesn't appear to be addressing the areas I think are most in need of attention, and if it's not coming until 2024 I wonder how long before the areas I'm interested in will get addressed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

just a kazoo posted:

The new revolution system had some bugs in my first foray into this patch but I think it has some good ideas and has made the political system more interesting, so that's good. The quasi-announced DLC sounds alright, but it doesn't appear to be addressing the areas I think are most in need of attention, and if it's not coming until 2024 I wonder how long before the areas I'm interested in will get addressed.

I mean it addresses the issue of foreign politics not being terribly important. As I assume powers will now compete for interest in foreign countries

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haha, they made the Corn Laws trick a little harder to pull off. Now you also need to have the price of grain at least 25% above average.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Has the update made things slower for anyone else?

My graphics are slightly below minimum recommended (intel 620 instead of 630), but it played fine before the patch, now even after turning the graphics way the gently caress down I've had to force quit like 3 times. Is my laptop just having a bad day?

Yeah I've got a pretty beefy computer and it seems to slow down even quicker now. Other than that, it's been surprisingly bug free. France is frankly pretty amazing to play as now, at least for the first few decades. I also got both Free States of America and the Technocratic (but run by the Rural Folk and Church) United Scientific Associations...run by Frederick Douglass (Despite still having racial segregation). Agitators are really nice and I appreciated Garibaldi showing up to help lead me through all my traditional French revolutions. Between Agitators and parties expecting laws passed, things do feel a bit more dynamic and it also feels a lot harder to avoid a revolution without having to compromise and pass some laws you don't want to pass. Also the new visuals for the map and UI are absolutely gorgeous. Also makes going full free-speech stuff a lot less enticing because it removes pretty much all of your tools for dealing with agitators, who can absolutely suck. The new law mechanics are...eh? But at least there's a lot more events (some of which hurt!) and it's better than the old ones. The new revolution mechanics and events are nice too. The new UI bits are great too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

just a kazoo posted:

The quasi-announced DLC sounds alright, but it doesn't appear to be addressing the areas I think are most in need of attention, and if it's not coming until 2024 I wonder how long before the areas I'm interested in will get addressed.
Foreign investment = building buildings in your vassals.

That's basically my only issue with the game right now. A lot of stuff can be polished and improved, but the only thing that's fundamentally lacking are tools to direct your market outside of your territory. Every now and then I look at the Netherlands as a potentially fun little country to play, but I just refuse to deal with seeing piles of useful untapped resources in Indonesia without any way of developing them.

That is, assuming this patch has successfully made domestic politics more dynamic and customizable. I haven't had a chance to play it, and I don't know when I'll properly have time to do so!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i got the france dlc because i'm bad at decisions and i'm not completely sure it's working properly

when's the first unique journal entry supposed to pop up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i got the france dlc because i'm bad at decisions and i'm not completely sure it's working properly

when's the first unique journal entry supposed to pop up?

Like, day 1 you get a few re: Algeria and the monarchist houses