Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just did the whole getting the Master Sword sequence.

Holy poo poo what a wild loving ride. Literally and figuratively.

Only downside is I had the goofiest loving head armour on so it kinda ruined the cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

No. I've beaten a few that didn't though it was before I'd encountered Phantomdorf, so it might be tied to that or escalation level

Ah I was wondering. The important first one I encountered was also the first set of hands I didn't run from and that didn't dissipate into dark clumps when I climbed out of reach.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am trying to get a naydras claw but I have no idea why nothing is working. I'm riding this dude and I try shooting arrows into his claws and nothing happens

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am trying to get a naydras claw but I have no idea why nothing is working. I'm riding this dude and I try shooting arrows into his claws and nothing happens

Did you already get a piece off her? Once you have there's a like 10 minute realtime cooldown period before you can get another part.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Never mind, a dragon had to be glowing to hit it for parts. I had already hit its back. I gotta wait ten minutes for this sucker to recharge!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Black Griffon posted:

edit 3: Addison deserves crucifixion more than the koroks

Trying to crucify Addison is basically just throwing Br'er Rabbit into the briar patch.

If you're looking for a new controller, the 8bitd0 Ultimate works really well in 2.4ghz mode and actually has the ability to wake the console from sleep. (People keep saying you have to shake it but they're wrong; just holding the home button works.)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The way I see it the "dungeons" are the full quest where you find the sage/solve their problem, get the special ability, find the temple itself, solve the 4-5 puzzles with your new power, and fight the boss. Feels more dynamic than trudging around a dank cave looking for small keys and a compass but I guess that means I'm of the new era camp not the old.

If there's one thing I could change it'd just be unlocking the memories in a specific order by how many you've already seen. It kinda sucks to only have access to them after you're done with the four temples since they're scattered around the world so it's good to have them available at the start, but it's a pretty linear story. But otherwise yeah masterpiece, goty, probably gotd and one of my favourite games of all time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

acumen posted:

The way I see it the "dungeons" are the full quest where you find the sage/solve their problem, get the special ability, find the temple itself, solve the 4-5 puzzles with your new power, and fight the boss. Feels more dynamic than trudging around a dank cave looking for small keys and a compass but I guess that means I'm of the new era camp not the old.

If there's one thing I could change it'd just be unlocking the memories in a specific order by how many you've already seen. It kinda sucks to only have access to them after you're done with the four temples since they're scattered around the world so it's good to have them available at the start, but it's a pretty linear story. But otherwise yeah masterpiece, goty, probably gotd and one of my favourite games of all time.

You have access to them before completing any temples, unless you're talking about different memories.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

You have access to them before completing any temples, unless you're talking about different memories.

yeah sorry that wasn't worded clearly. For the story to make sense they should be done after the temples, but it'd be a bad idea to gate it that way since both temples and memories are all over the map and it's better to have them both freely discoverable at the same time while you explore.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

acumen posted:

The fifth temple makes this very apparent, since by a stricter temple definition the entire temple is exactly one room and fight.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Not being able to make your own arrows in this game sucks. I hate scavenging for them in boxes or from enemies.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Had a pretty fantastic death by hoversegway last night, gonna have to see about uploading it to a burner Twitter or something.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got about 200 arrows from the Wind Temple which solved my needs for the time being.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zore posted:

There are also a few pieces of clothing that don't return in TotK. (Ancient set, Desert Vai set, Salvager set, Switch shirt, Old shirt/pants)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

For real, the mushroom hat is a poor substitute for the vai outfit :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I love so much that the real reward for doing shrines is that you get to dungeons and go "oh, I've seen this puzzle before, you can't fool me twice".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's criminal you cannot get the mushroom outfit the fashionistas all have

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Khanstant posted:

It's criminal you cannot get the mushroom outfit the fashionistas all have

:amen:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I love that the dungeons are seamless with the rest of the world this time.
Exploring the depths on the east side of the map and being able to just see the fire temple lit up in the distance is so cool

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
(Hyrule castle chasm) I am still early in the game (did 1 dungeon) and went up to the boss room of this area on a lark (did not beat the boss), just curious did I miss any kind of must-have loot there other than what drops from enemies and like like chests? I did not really thoroughly explore it, in particular I skipped most of the long square stairwell. Not planning to go there again until it's time to finish the game for real, but might go back there earlier if there is anything cool I missed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZeeBoi posted:

Not being able to make your own arrows in this game sucks. I hate scavenging for them in boxes or from enemies.

I wonder if maybe they should’ve just given you infinite arrows via zonai magitek or whatever like how they gave you infinite bombs in BoTW, because people seem to either be desperately scrounging for arrows or absolutely drowning in them with no inbetween

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

bobmcdynamite posted:

You're supposed to follow them down and bring them to the quest giver.

Edit: Follow them one at a time I mean.

(Great Plateau Quest) I did three eyes at once and had no issues. As for the reward... I expected more than another heart or stamina container, feels a bit less rewarding for all that effort. I got another poe shop though, not sure its selection is larger than the one in the first camp, or just larger because I've collected more poes/progressed the main quest

Anyone got a hint for the northern shrine on the Great Plateau? It seems to be slightly underground, almost like the entrance is in the chasm shaft, but I haven't found it yet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Ah I was wondering. The important first one I encountered was also the first set of hands I didn't run from and that didn't dissipate into dark clumps when I climbed out of reach.

I thought that it was just that if you leave them to despawn he will never appear, but any time you kill them he will. Or, at least, he did the first random place I tried it at and then the next random place I found hands at, before any story reason to encounter him

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I have like 600 arrows and a friend is running around with 900. Skill issue.

bobmcdynamite
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I thought I had a glitch where I'd be dripping wet when talking to people. Then I just realized that it's probably just showing the "wet" status that's used for certain weapons. It just lasts longer than it would if it were a strictly visual thing effect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zore posted:

No. I've beaten a few that didn't though it was before I'd encountered Phantomdorf, so it might be tied to that or escalation level

it isn’t. you might’ve killed most of them but the last one just despawned on its own

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ymgve posted:

(Great Plateau Quest) I did three eyes at once and had no issues. As for the reward... I expected more than another heart or stamina container, feels a bit less rewarding for all that effort. I got another poe shop though, not sure its selection is larger than the one in the first camp, or just larger because I've collected more poes/progressed the main quest

Anyone got a hint for the northern shrine on the Great Plateau? It seems to be slightly underground, almost like the entrance is in the chasm shaft, but I haven't found it yet.

The ultimate reward for the great plateau thing is the stamina/heart container plus unlocking another barginer statue, and each additional statue unlocks another armor piece for purchase. Mostly in my estimate you do it for unlocking the full gloom set which is both stylish and practical for depths exploration and combat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

bobmcdynamite posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I thought I had a glitch where I'd be dripping wet when talking to people. Then I just realized that it's probably just showing the "wet" status that's used for certain weapons. It just lasts longer than it would if it were a strictly visual thing effect.

I think the Zonaite Shields also sparkle in a way that make Link look wet. It weirdly was more distracting in cutscenes than the giant sled I have bolted onto the shield.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
One combat thing that I use a lot but don't see people post about is hitting the attack button while running. It's got a whole separate animation. It hits really fast especially compared to taking out a two hander starting your attack standing still. Very useful for closing the gap on archers and stuff. Because of the way things work with stun locking and knocking enemies weapons away, usually once you're right up on a dude you're gonna win.

Also very useful for running around one shotting the bone enemies heads once they're off.

I've got 7 hearts and a total of 15 armor. I fight anything I can. I'm not very good at flurry rush but sometimes it goes fine.

Always keep meals around you can eat.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm using an 8bitdo controller with one of the back paddles set to an autofire A button for hoovering up big piles of loot, would recommend

Snake Maze posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff poof out of existence when it was attacked by a lynel. I think maybe it needs to be a strong enough attack to break it, rather than depleting a hidden part hp? So 1,000 bokoblins will never break the Death Roomba, but you can't cheese a lynel with it.

Could be wrong though, I haven't experimented too thoroughly with it.

I tried to cheese a lynel with a roomba and they seem to have a special roar attack that instantly destroys your constructs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Augus posted:

I wonder if maybe they should’ve just given you infinite arrows via zonai magitek or whatever like how they gave you infinite bombs in BoTW, because people seem to either be desperately scrounging for arrows or absolutely drowning in them with no inbetween
Yeah, I can't see any way where that would've taken anything away from gameplay at all. I've constantly got 100+ arrows and my go-to response to basically every threat is "put an arrow in its head", I stopped counting a while ago and just treat them as an infinite resource. The actual bottleneck is things to stick on the arrow.

External Organs posted:

I've got 7 hearts and a total of 15 armor. I fight anything I can. I'm not very good at flurry rush but sometimes it goes fine.

Always keep meals around you can eat.
I've got 15 hearts and 8 armor because I haven't found a great fairy yet and everything I find or can buy has 3 base armor. I can tank a hit or two, which is good, because my heart total crumples like paper every time I get nudged by a stick.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CapnAndy posted:

I love so much that the real reward for doing shrines is that you get to dungeons and go "oh, I've seen this puzzle before, you can't fool me twice".
I had the opposite experience, where I stared at the lever with the broken handle in Wind Temple for entirely too long, eventually figured it out, and then found the shrine that teaches you the mechanic.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Reached the point where I want the game done. I should just do the final dungeon now, 80% of all shrines completed and only the final main quest left to do now. It's really interesting that they approached the game completely differently from Breath of the Wild because you absolutely have to follow the thread of the main story to get to the end. No beating up Ganon in the castle immediately.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I've got 15 hearts and 8 armor because I haven't found a great fairy yet and everything I find or can buy has 3 base armor. I can tank a hit or two, which is good, because my heart total crumples like paper every time I get nudged by a stick.

Yeah I did one round of armor upgrades. Keep looking!!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Purah question: is she ever not concerned about Luralin village? I cleared the place out ages ago and have completed the side quest for it but she still keeps talking about it as if it's still overrun with pirates.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pollyanna posted:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You get a frankly even more fabulous option in it's place honestly.

Terrible quality picture but it's what I could find on google of both the Frostbite Armor + Cece Hat together.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Frankston posted:

Purah question: is she ever not concerned about Luralin village? I cleared the place out ages ago and have completed the side quest for it but she still keeps talking about it as if it's still overrun with pirates.

Did you kill their source at eventide island

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Triarii posted:

I tried to cheese a lynel with a roomba and they seem to have a special roar attack that instantly destroys your constructs.

Yeah, I tried to do that with a black hinox and he just hit it with his club and it was just gone. I tried to fight it up on a ledge, but the developers are apparently trying to prevent you from cheesing enemies like that. He just pulled explosive barrels out of his rear end and began throwing them at me, getting a direct hit with every throw. So I had to get down on the ground and engage him directly (running in circles as my spirit buddies attacked him, and I occasionally turned around to shoot an arrow in his eye)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Did you kill their source at eventide island

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think my one complaint about TotK so far is that unless I missed something, the great fairies (and, crucially, armor upgrades) can only be activated in a specific order, so you have to go to rito village first, at least enough to activate the first fairy, if you don't want to get oneshot by everything.

Finding any of the other fairies gives you a pretty big hint where to go, so it's not a huge flaw, but it kind of goes against the open ended structure of the game. I guess they wanted to push you towards starting the reporter questline early, so you can do them organically as you explore? But it seems like it would be better to put the start of the quest more central if that's the goal, and let the fairies all be done independently.