Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
David freese was clutch and I don’t need a dingdang spreadsheet to prove it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
If you really want to anger people remind them that anthro muskrat Lance berkman also is clutch

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

LIterally the clutchest hit in baseball history.

I don't care what the numbers say - when you factor in how incredibly stupid Robbie Ray was he absolutely falls a notch or two.

The WWTFDYTWH (Well What the gently caress Did You Think Would Happen?!) on that pitch was a perfect 1.000.

edit: older card collecting goons know the real deal

And looking that up reminds me of Pat Tabler getting annoyed when my sharpie got ink on his hand asking for an autograph in 1986, so he reached over and wiped it on my t-shirt.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 22, 2023

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
That was a very irritating set of losses against Baltimore for the Jays. A whole lot of two-on-no-out turning into no runs scored. At least they get to rebound with, uh, a road series in Tampa.

I want a fifth place 90+ win team in the AL East.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

I don't care what the numbers say - when you factor in how incredibly stupid Robbie Ray was he absolutely falls a notch or two.

The WWTFDYTWH (Well What the gently caress Did You Think Would Happen?!) on that pitch was a perfect 1.000.

For some reason the book on Yordan last year was that he had trouble with sinkers down and in. The book was wrong.

Managers cannot get past arm-on-arm poo poo, Dusty has to be tortured into hitting Yordan and Tucker back to back even though they both actually hit lefties better than righties, because what if the opposing manager can put a lefty reliever against both of these lefty hitters in the same inning!?!. Servais cooked up the Robbie Ray vs. Yordan plan before the series even started. I am convinced that one of the major reasons for the club's success in recent years is the fact that the Astros seldom carry more than one lefty, forcing the manager to go to the best available reliever instead of some loving LOOGY with two pitches and a lifetime era of 9

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Are they on guaranteed contracts over there?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alas, he didn't get demoted, he opted to pitch in that game because he had a start scratched because of rain and wanted to stay on his throwing program. He started his next game for the Ham Fighters or w/e he plays for and had a really good game.

e: facts I apparently learned earlier in this thread lol

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 22, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/davidrifkin/status/1660040912712417285?s=46&t=OkIHxp3du4acsr1oGWXRXg

Attn Cashman: I am even worse than Josh Donaldson and can be paid to stay away at very competitive rates.

called it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Hand Knit posted:

That was a very irritating set of losses against Baltimore for the Jays. A whole lot of two-on-no-out turning into no runs scored. At least they get to rebound with, uh, a road series in Tampa.

I want a fifth place 90+ win team in the AL East.

How dare you wish success upon the Red Sox

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

For some reason the book on Yordan last year was that he had trouble with sinkers down and in. The book was wrong.

Managers cannot get past arm-on-arm poo poo, Dusty has to be tortured into hitting Yordan and Tucker back to back even though they both actually hit lefties better than righties, because what if the opposing manager can put a lefty reliever against both of these lefty hitters in the same inning!?!. Servais cooked up the Robbie Ray vs. Yordan plan before the series even started. I am convinced that one of the major reasons for the club's success in recent years is the fact that the Astros seldom carry more than one lefty, forcing the manager to go to the best available reliever instead of some loving LOOGY with two pitches and a lifetime era of 9

You could feel the entire tone of the GDT shift when Ray came in. Everyone knew it was coming

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone but Scott Servais.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zoux posted:

Gentlemen these are dumber than we could've ever imagined

https://twitter.com/Orioles/status/1660639548005658626

YOU CAN'T
CLIP THESE
W   I   N   G   S

Fries.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

zoux posted:

These suck and it makes me sad.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Terry Francona probably throws a tantrum if he can’t alternate hitters L/R throughout the lineup. Gotta make sure that you can’t give an opposing manager the chance to bring in a lefty to face three consecutive left handed hitters!

This is what leads to Amed Rosario (.625 OPS) batting in the 2-hole, instead of anyone else.

Of course we could play Tyler Freeman there (R), or Brayan Rocchio (S), but they’re rookies and they don’t play Cribbage.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

zoux posted:

Everything about this is so incredibly cringe and corny

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nodoze posted:

How dare you wish success upon the Red Sox

I think something like fifth place and missing the playoffs with 92 wins is both cool and funny enough that I'm willing to sacrifice the Blue Jays to that spot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Everyone but Scott Servais.

I think after that first pitch Ray threw and the cut Yordan put on it even Servais knew it was coming

I don't know how the gently caress Ray saw Yordan try to tomahawk that ball and just barely miss and decide hey let's throw it again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I think something like fifth place and missing the playoffs with 92 wins is both cool and funny enough that I'm willing to sacrifice the Blue Jays to that spot.

this is very weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the historical record for starters coming out of the bullpen during playoffs? I know Mad Bum made it a thing but seems like it backfires more often than it helps. I have no problem with Hinch sticking with Will Harris instead of Gerrit Cole in 2019 because Will Harris had been absolute nails all season. (Also that wasn't really his fault, Howie Kendrick was swinging at a pitch out of the zone. You shouldn't have swung at that pitch Howie, that was BS)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Intruder posted:

I think after that first pitch Ray threw and the cut Yordan put on it even Servais knew it was coming

I don't know how the gently caress Ray saw Yordan try to tomahawk that ball and just barely miss and decide hey let's throw it again

Robbie Ray is a bad pitcher

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

What's the historical record for starters coming out of the bullpen during playoffs? I know Mad Bum made it a thing but seems like it backfires more often than it helps. I have no problem with Hinch sticking with Will Harris instead of Gerrit Cole in 2019 because Will Harris had been absolute nails all season. (Also that wasn't really his fault, Howie Kendrick was swinging at a pitch out of the zone. You shouldn't have swung at that pitch Howie, that was BS)

M's had done it before, in 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEXjunpkJM

Shut things down in the 9th, gave up the lead in the 11th, but pulled the Bobby Ayala win with Edgar's double to win it.

Of course this is Randy Johnson on 2 days rest. Robbie Ray is decidedly not Randy Johnson.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Am I reading this right, there’s a bunch of thought and effort put into the colors and patterns of the inside of the jersey, while the outside is as plain as possible??

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh teams have been doing it forever, the Dodgers had Koufax pitch the 8th and 9th in the first game of the '59 series. They had him pitch the seventh to preserve a 3-0 lead in a May game in 1962. But it seems like it became normal around '16 or '17

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

zoux posted:

Anecdotally I want to say not great but also curious about actual stats.

And that pitch was on the corner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Anecdotally I want to say not great but also curious about actual stats.

And that pitch was on the corner.

Well I'd have to watch it to confirm or disconfirm and gently caress if I'm doing that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Am I reading this right, there’s a bunch of thought and effort put into the colors and patterns of the inside of the jersey, while the outside is as plain as possible??

You're supposed to look inside a strangers jersey to see the true design.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think they're going for a concrete look on the lettering but it just makes it look cheap like it's falling apart from the wash.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

this is very weird.

I have found equilibrium and learned to appreciate the good.

You should try it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

the jersey design is silly/pointless but I'm getting real "draphic design is my passion" energy on the announcement itself

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like it was designed in 1993. Looks like a video game magazine ad for a PS1 game that implies it's adjacent to getting your dick sucked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still dress like I’m in the 90s so I’m kind of a sucker for all black and that “concrete stencil” font but the “no no, we designed the inside” thing is hilarious.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Oh teams have been doing it forever, the Dodgers had Koufax pitch the 8th and 9th in the first game of the '59 series. They had him pitch the seventh to preserve a 3-0 lead in a May game in 1962. But it seems like it became normal around '16 or '17
He wasn’t really KOUFAX in 1959, he was still a developing pitcher. Made 35 appearances that year but only 23 of them were starts, so that game 1 was a normal relief appearance. He had a 4.05 ERA in 153 IP that season, he was a swing man essentially.

It was more common way back when to use your better starters in relief as well during the regular season, since dedicated relievers weren’t really a thing. This was starting to fade by the late 60’s (as Hoyt Wilhelm pioneered the dedicated reliever role) but if you look at say Walter Johnson’s BRef page you can see that even during his peak seasons with 30-40 starts he was also making 5-10 relief appearances. In 1913, his first mvp season, he made 36 starts and 12 relief appearances, 346IP in total.

In the postseason you just made your best guys pitch the whole game and as often as possible. Walter Johnson started and completed three games in both the ‘24 and ‘25 series. Same with Mathewson ‘05, ‘11, & ‘12. Whitey Ford made 22 postseason starts without any relief appearances, he twice started 3 games in a series (both times it was games 1/4/6). All through this time he was making an handful of relief appearances in the regular season (37 total between 1954-1965)

Even in the 80’s and 90’s the postseason trend was not uncommon, Orel Hershiser started three games in the ‘88 NLCS (1/3/7) while also getting the 12th inning save in game 4. He went on to start WS games 2 and 5, both on 3 days rest. Dodgers won that series in 5 but he’d certainly have made more appearances if it went longer. Curt Schilling was I think the last pitcher to start three games in a series when he did it in 2001. Of course, Randy Johnson relieved him on zero days rest in that game 7 after pitching 7 innings in game 6. Clemens has just one postseason appearance as a reliever, which was innings 16-18 of the 2005 NLDS gm4.

So I think starter-as-relievers specifically in the postseason is a recent artifact of starters no longer being able to just make a ton of starts on short rest and go deep into games in October. Instead of expecting your top guy to make three starts in a series, you ask him for two starts and maybe a relief appearance.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 22, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

As for how modern pitchers perform in these relief appearances, I don’t think any active pitcher has gone on short rest more in October than Kershaw.

He has four starts on 3 days rest. Two of them were elite performances (6IP 0ER DS clincher 2013 and staving off elimination on the road in 7IP 1ER DS 2015), one was rough but team won anyway (6.2IP 5ER 2016 DS), and one was a loss (6IP 3ER 2014 DS)

Aside from 08-09 when he was on the roster as a reliever, he’s made four relief appearances in the postseason. Three of them were scoreless (including 4 scoreless innings on 2 days rest in gm7 of 2017 that everyone forgets cause the Dodgers offense gave up early), and the one that wasn’t was that 2019 DS gm5 where Dave inexplicably let him face Soto instead of using Designated-Soto-Killer Adam Kolarek.

Somewhat ironic considering his October reputation, if you judge by Kershaw’s track record, using elite modern pitchers out of the bullpen in specific postseason situations is a successful tactic.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 22, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Well I'd have to watch it to confirm or disconfirm and gently caress if I'm doing that.

still a good pitch though, don't know how he kept that fair

none of this even matters if Soto doesn't make a ridiculous sliding catch with the bases loaded earlier in the game

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bregor posted:

YOU CAN'T
CLIP THESE
W   I   N   G   S

Fries.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

Looks like it was designed in 1993. Looks like a video game magazine ad for a PS1 game that implies it's adjacent to getting your dick sucked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao exactly

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Now I’m down a rabbit hole soooooo Scherzer on short rest/relief in October:

5 relief appearances, 2 of them 1-inning scoreless. One 1IP 1ER in the 5th inning of a game his team would lose. Another 2IP 1ER on three days rest following a start, and lastly 1.1IP 1ER also on three days rest following a start.

I’d call that a mixed bag, particularly because following some of these appearances he was mediocre or bad in his next start.

2011 DS gm5 relief appearance was followed by 6IP 3ER on three days rest (and his next start after that was even worse, 2.1IP 6ER).

2019 was his most successful of these sequences, following one scoreless inning in gm2 of the DS, he started on 2 days rest and went 7IP 1ER, then pitched well on regular and extra rest (4, 9, & 7 days rest!) the remainder of the postseason.

2021 of course we remember he got the save in gm5 of the DS but was hosed after that, couldn’t make his CS start, was pushed back a game, and still struggled (4.1IP 2ER).

He’s never made a start on short rest directly following a starting appearance. All his short rest starts were following a short rest relief effort.

Strasburg had a successful 3-inning relief appearance on 4 days rest in the 2019 WC game, and followed that with a 6IP 1ER start on 2 days rest, but had regular or extra rest the remainder of that month.

Verlander has only three postseason appearances with less than 4 days rest, all in different years, two of which were in relief. In the 2011 DS gm1 for some reason he started but only pitched 1 inning, allowing 1ER. He then started gm3 on 2 days rest and went 8IP 4ER. In the 2017 DS gm4 he pitched 2.2IP allowing 1ER on 3 days rest following his gm1 start. He had 4 days rest after that before his next start. In 2019 DS gm4 he again pitched out of the bullpen on 3 days rest following his game 1 start, this time 3.2IP 4ER.

Bumgarner had a 2 inning scoreless relief appearance in the 2010 CS on 2 days rest following a mediocre start, then had 7 days rest before his next start. And of course the 5 scoreless innings in 2014 gm7 on 2 days rest.

So yeah it seems to be pretty tough to do these days and even the best guys of this generation don’t do it much and have mixed results when they do.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
The Royals scored a total of 3 runs in three games against the White Sox this weekend. They're just so hard to watch and might actually be worse than Oakland. Even having Greinke back has kind of lost its magic.

I just hope they trade Chapman soon before he starts sucking or gets hurt and they get nothing for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I actually like the scuffed-up font mimicking an old-fashioned press. But you just can't go that plain on a City Connect, man. Especially when your team already has black unis in their regular rotation. At least the White Sox got a little weird with their black and white design.