Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

brainSnakes posted:

I thought it would suck so I balked at trying him, but actually it's easy as hell to turn almost any stray hit into a drink ender and you get a full four faster / more often than I expected. He rules.

Due to the lack of simply accessible training mode I basically got all my drinks from 22P and the kick/punch/punch rekka; didn't really remember the other drink add-ons during matches. But they really made some good ways to do it so it seems like a nice counter to something like Manon's persistent buff.

I did match against a Juri who didn't interrupt me when I just chugged 4 drinks at the start of a match. That didn't go so well for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Well, open beta was fun! As a new-ish player this game feels really good. Definitely getting in on release.

Played Ryu and Kimberly, managed to winstreak my way out of Iron into Bronze on both. Kimberly feels more fun, but I wonder if that's because people in Iron and Bronze can't deal with her basic moves very well - I particularly like the dash low kick that knocks down, but I just know that move can probably be punished on block and no one's really taken advantage of that against me yet. (also shoutout to the forward heavy kick which you can jump cancel into a crossup)

Looking forward to trying JP, Marisa, Deejay, Cammy, Ken and Juri as the characters that look most interesting to me. Although I don't know how much time I should spend with each one before deciding which of them to focus on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tortolia posted:

Due to the lack of simply accessible training mode I basically got all my drinks from 22P and the kick/punch/punch rekka; didn't really remember the other drink add-ons during matches. But they really made some good ways to do it so it seems like a nice counter to something like Manon's persistent buff.

I did match against a Juri who didn't interrupt me when I just chugged 4 drinks at the start of a match. That didn't go so well for them.

Both Jamie and Juri have a resource they can build up without contact with the enemy, so technically they're both characters that do well from backing up and preparing.

Four Drink Jamie is STUPIDLY stronger than Two-Feng Shui Juri, but that's presuming equal skill levels.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

At the most basic level, I do not understand why one does not just back throw their rear end into the corner instead of doing this mixunder stuff.

Again: at the most BASIC level. I get doing mixunder combos for optimizing punish damage.

edit: Well, I suppose I should have just kept watching to the end of the video instead of stopping to post when it hitched and failed to load the back half.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 22, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Man, this game is going to be so loving hype at high levels

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At the most basic level, I do not understand why one does not just back throw their rear end into the corner instead of doing this mixunder stuff.

Again: at the most BASIC level. I get doing mixunder combos for optimizing punish damage.

edit: Well, I suppose I should have just kept watching to the end of the video instead of stopping to post when it hitched and failed to load the back half.

The corner is really loving scary in this game. You don't ever wanna be in the corner.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hell given the range on Drive Impact you don't even want to be close to the corner

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Both Jamie and Juri have a resource they can build up without contact with the enemy, so technically they're both characters that do well from backing up and preparing.

Four Drink Jamie is STUPIDLY stronger than Two-Feng Shui Juri, but that's presuming equal skill levels.

Feng Shui engine is her l2 super, nothing to do with the fuha charges.

Feng Shui engine is the most fun thing ever, though. Makes you feel like a God off any stray hit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Feng Shui engine is her l2 super, nothing to do with the fuha charges.

Feng Shui engine is the most fun thing ever, though. Makes you feel like a God off any stray hit.

Shows me for just tryign to guess what her charges were called!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Shows me for just tryign to guess what her charges were called!

Fuha sounds like a word for some sort of fetish so a) it always throws me for a second when I try and remember and b) it's probably on-brand for Juri

but yes, 4 drink Jamie is an unholy nightmare and 3 charge Juri is the same as 0-charge Juri if you don't know how to convert them into extra damage or winning neutral

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried out Modern controls against my friend that never played fighting games before and holy poo poo are they so incredibly awkward to use, and getting wrong normals out is super annoying, and some of the auto-combos just drop for no reason. I don't know how people use Modern controls at all.

Although, my friend didn't seem to have any problems and was happy that he was getting occasional wins against me, so I guess it's a matter of preference.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'm pretty sure most people using modern controls in the beta did it just because it was the default option and they didn't know how (or why) to change it. I don't think I saw a single modern player in my 100 or so ranked matches, and only a few in casuals/battle hub.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't drink and Drive Impact

:golfclap:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Double Bill posted:

I'm pretty sure most people using modern controls in the beta did it just because it was the default option and they didn't know how (or why) to change it. I don't think I saw a single modern player in my 100 or so ranked matches, and only a few in casuals/battle hub.

I finally got to play my friend last night and didn't realize Modern was set up by default, I destroyed him with Juri doing some sick looking combos just by jamming on random buttons. I imagine once you truly understand the buttons and what they do it's going to be competitive.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Shinji2015 posted:

Man, this game is going to be so loving hype at high levels

Agreed. Imo the real sign that this game is a winner is that it's also hype as hell at low levels of play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got in a cool showdown with a guy where we somehow created an unspoken agreement to only either parry or di back and forth as a game of chicken and it was cool but then i hit throw by accident and and he didnt rematch

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

brainSnakes posted:

Agreed. Imo the real sign that this game is a winner is that it's also hype as hell at low levels of play.

It's scratching the same itch for me that KI, Samsho 2019 and VF5 did where, even though I'm garbage at fighting games, it often makes me feel like I made the correct big brain decision when things go right for me. I never quite got to the level of proficiency in another SF game where you start getting that feeling, but SF6's core mechanics make it very accessible

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

brainSnakes posted:

Watching a total beginner react to drive impact with drive impact back is the hypest poo poo. I legit think this mechanic is brilliant, and the couple haters right now are wrong.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

DI is a great equaliser and a brilliant solution for new players who can read an opponent but don’t know what to do about it yet. Feels like the solution to a lot of the classic “<character> is spamming <move> please help” posts is gonna be “have you tried doing drive impact”

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maximillian Dood says that even though DI is and will remain extremely good, we will probably see less of it in high level play because of how readable it is and the risk outweighs the reward. I am not at the point where I can easily counter DI with my own but I think he may be right about that from what I have watched.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 22, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1660541730557419520

We already knew the beta was the old version compared to the demo of course. But I gotta wonder what quality of life changes they'll be making, outside of just balance adjustments across the cast we've seen so far

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe they'll let you do training mode freely in the hub.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They mentioned adding online training mode which is cool, so I suppose that'll probably be a thing? I'm assuming there's an offline training mode you can get to as well or at least man I hope so!

Actually speaking of QOL things, I dunno if anyone else was running cabinet rotations in the battle hub with people, but the fact that you get to see the frame data in the spectate mode (and presumably in your replays) is so incredibly cool and such a good idea

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe they'll let you do training mode freely in the hub.
imo they should add an alarm and big quest marker arrows pointing at people who have been in training mode >2 mins

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

They mentioned adding online training mode which is cool, so I suppose that'll probably be a thing? I'm assuming there's an offline training mode you can get to as well or at least man I hope so!

There's offline training mode option right there in the fighting ground practice menu, it was just disabled in the beta so people would actually test the online play.

It would've been hilarious though if they put in all that effort make a really good training mode, with frame data and all kinds of advanced options, and then only put it in the limited amount of battle hub cabinets.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
One improvement that I noticed from the Closed Beta 2 is that the constant announcement "we currently have a player on a winning streak" is gone.

The tournament event was totally broken and not working correctly at all, and some specific players seemed to be cursed with not being able to crossplay. But overall, like in CB2, the multiplayer is pretty solid. I just wonder how long it'll take them to fix these 2 things.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Double Bill posted:

There's offline training mode option right there in the fighting ground practice menu, it was just disabled in the beta so people would actually test the online play.

It would've been hilarious though if they put in all that effort make a really good training mode, with frame data and all kinds of advanced options, and then only put it in the limited amount of battle hub cabinets.

Oh lol, I didn't actually open any of the menus other than the battle hub menu, so I had a moment of like "oh man is this gonna be the big flaw in SF6"

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

Watching a total beginner react to drive impact with drive impact back is the hypest poo poo. I legit think this mechanic is brilliant, and the couple haters right now are wrong.

Having to look out for jumps (with crossups being strong/anti airs maybe weak) and drive rush *and* drive impact while trying to footsie is rough. That and pressure feeling bad are probably my two least favorite things about the game right now, we'll see how that changes once people figure the game out more.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I am bad at fighting games but the beta has proven smooth connections and pretty colors while getting my poo poo stomped in. Lost a LOT of fights to Kimberly.
The 8bitdo controller works really well, too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Video Nasty posted:

I am bad at fighting games but the beta has proven smooth connections and pretty colors while getting my poo poo stomped in. Lost a LOT of fights to Kimberly.
The 8bitdo controller works really well, too.

In all the sets I played against some friends and friends of friends, the only dude I had trouble going even with played Kimberly

I think that character is going to be really, really strong for the first month while everyone learns how to deal with her mix ups :v:

Adding the grapplers into the mix plus blanka is going to be pretty interesting!

I didn't really bother trying to find an empty hub to properly do some training mode. Going to worry about that when I have the full version of the game and can practice execution stuff/get the drive and parry cancels down without getting interrupted every few minutes

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
The few qKimberly's I played against had the Ken's beat at nonstop hyper aggression, which I thought was funny. But also a ton of the poo poo they was doing seemed really unsafe and supremely throwable, so I genuinely don't know what to think of her.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

brainSnakes posted:

The few qKimberly's I played against had the Ken's beat at nonstop hyper aggression, which I thought was funny. But also a ton of the poo poo they was doing seemed really unsafe and supremely throwable, so I genuinely don't know what to think of her.

my scrub-tier impression of Kimberly is that she's got good mix and some really nice buttons like j.HK or c.HK, and she has a couple ways to tell zoners to gently caress off with qcf.K ~ MK slide and the qcb.P teleports. but, it also feels like everything she does is very telegraphed, lots of her stuff is unsafe. Arc Step is one of her core tools, too, but it's defeated by simply holding back since the throw option out of it won't reach if you do that. The throw/kick are also defeated by any anti-air, and the do nothing option leaves you unable to punish those anti-airs.

I sorta wish the HK follow-up out of her dash and her b.HK would high profile her cuz it feels silly to do a flip kick that gets bonked by a standing low :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of controllers, do ya’ll have a recommended pad for SF or fighters in general? I will be playing on PC because I may as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cat Machine posted:

DI is a great equaliser and a brilliant solution for new players who can read an opponent but don’t know what to do about it yet. Feels like the solution to a lot of the classic “<character> is spamming <move> please help” posts is gonna be “have you tried doing drive impact”

This is precisely it. It also makes picking up a new character a lot of fun because it's a universal mechanic and you can use it as a crutch until you find the optimal stuff.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Where do I go to make SF friends? My regular game buddies don’t do fighting :[

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of controllers, do ya’ll have a recommended pad for SF or fighters in general? I will be playing on PC because I may as well.

I’m using the Xbox and it’s fine

E. I’m a casual however

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im so hype for new deejay.
He looks sick.

I want to sway all day.
Having charge fb and charge reversal but a motion move for combo is my fav set up for specials too.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 22, 2023

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Im so hype for new deejay.
He looks sick.

I want to sway all day.
Having charge fb and charge reversal but a motion move for combo is my fav set up for specials too.
Had a ton of fun bullying people in the corner with Guile during the beta and the idea of doing that with a similar character who can do “haha u thought i was gonna sonic boom? just kidding here’s a flash kick :D” is sooo appealing

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I worry about dee jay. When I last gave up on Strive a few months back, it was because nobody loving respects Anji's Fujin. (and frankly, I think I was kind of asking for it by sticking to playing **Anji** or all people)

Different game, different pace, different mechanics, but I worry his dandy step will be equally disrespected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Is anyone else getting stutters with the beta or the demo on PC? I've tried a bunch of things but even on the training stage, I'll get intermittent bad stutters, sometimes disconnected to anything I'm doing in gameplay. I've tried updating my graphics drivers, setting my monitor's frame rate to 60hz, limiting the internal resolution to 1, but nothing's working to completely cure it. I have a good computer with a 3080 and Strive works great, so I'm not sure what's going on.