Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m sure some gatekeeping jerks would disagree, but at the very least they should dump agony and AR as mechanics. It’s needlessly complicated and only used for that narrow sliver of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

whydirt posted:

I’m sure some gatekeeping jerks would disagree, but at the very least they should dump agony and AR as mechanics. It’s needlessly complicated and only used for that narrow sliver of content.

Agony/Agony Resist is just a fancy way of time gating content that could be bypassed with gold. It really doesn't serve a purpose anymore outside of making Fractals more intimidating to shy on under geared players

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I don't think agony was all that bad and it's not an impediment to playing fractals. An exotic geared player can run all of tier 1 without an issue. I highly recommend everyone try it.

Personal fractal level also limits your progression, but that only becomes a problem when you're right on the cusp of unlocking the next tier LFG.

If you're trying to min/max your gold/hr or can't stand the FOMO on the tier 4 rewards you can spend a night like tonight with Sunqua Peak as the daily and join 10 groups in a row to push your personal fractal level into the next tier.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 18, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jedah posted:

I get that everyone says “lol just read the wiki” and I do, but it’s obnoxious to have to study a lengthy article in-depth just to be able to survive what boils down to about 10-15 minutes of content.

This is also a really bad solution. Every time someone has said "argh why don't people read their abilities?!?" it's because they read the wiki. Wiki (and I'm using "wiki" as a general term for all internet resources) told them the build and rotation, they executed, and it has worked just fine until they ran this fractal/strike/raid where breaking a bar isn't optional. They don't know that their Sword 2 stuns, or their staff 5 slows, or that whenever they hit 7 it applies quickness to the group... or even why those are important.

Players are accelerated into the endgame with a slingshot and then smash into a brick wall caused by not spending a decade slowly internalizing new systems. That's not something a guy with a green cat icon can or should take responsibility for.

quote:

I laughed when I got to EoD, and there's a training quest explaining how skill combos work and how cc/defiance break bars work. I was like, why aren't there tons of these everywhere, and integrated into all stages of the game? It's an effective way to educate players on the skills they'll need.

I have no idea why there isn't a boss in chapter one of the personal story that doesn't require you break a bar along with highlighting your current CC button and an interface popup. Those should be peppered around the expansions and open world too. There, I just fixed that lack of knowledge. Anet hire me.

quote:

I'm glad streamers like Preach are playing GW2, and helping to shine a light on this, because the devs need to receive that type of feedback.

Devs seem pretty responsive to youtube, even after ignoring a decade of player feedback, so here's hoping. You're still pitting two factions against each other, though. You've got bittervets who want a hundred hours of content trying to beat a difficult encounter vs people who don't want to have to put in a hundred hours of work to beat a boss.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mailer posted:

I have no idea why there isn't a boss in chapter one of the personal story that doesn't require you break a bar along with highlighting your current CC button and an interface popup. Those should be peppered around the expansions and open world too. There, I just fixed that lack of knowledge. Anet hire me.

Because breakbars didn't appear til HoT

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jedah posted:

basic stuff that would meaningfully improve the game for new players

arenanet would prefer you to buy things from the gem store than worry your silly little head about all those things!!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Because breakbars didn't appear til HoT

I mean that's an issue, so much old content is just left languishing in its 10-year-old state because it still runs so that's good enough

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Speaking of 10 year old content:

I found a new minor skip on Accusation (first Kessex mission) and saved about a minute on claw island itself from somehow getting to the mentor cutscene faster. Mostly just better execution all around, and I still fumbled a lot. I'll put the video up after work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2tNbXXZ4Zk

I went through and identified just over 10 minutes of potential time savings which means I guess I have to push for sub-1:30 now.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 18, 2023

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mailer posted:

This is also a really bad solution. Every time someone has said "argh why don't people read their abilities?!?" it's because they read the wiki. Wiki (and I'm using "wiki" as a general term for all internet resources) told them the build and rotation, they executed, and it has worked just fine until they ran this fractal/strike/raid where breaking a bar isn't optional. They don't know that their Sword 2 stuns, or their staff 5 slows, or that whenever they hit 7 it applies quickness to the group... or even why those are important.

Players are accelerated into the endgame with a slingshot and then smash into a brick wall caused by not spending a decade slowly internalizing new systems. That's not something a guy with a green cat icon can or should take responsibility for.

Devs seem pretty responsive to youtube, even after ignoring a decade of player feedback, so here's hoping. You're still pitting two factions against each other, though. You've got bittervets who want a hundred hours of content trying to beat a difficult encounter vs people who don't want to have to put in a hundred hours of work to beat a boss.

Totally agree with you. A personal story chapter which requires breakbar training is a perfect jumping off point. Like you said, just pepper the whole dang early/mid game with this kind of content, it can't be that difficult to add.

A strong example I can think of was watching Preach stream, and experience GW2 with totally fresh eyes.

You've got an experienced MMO player, naturally curious to learn about game mechanics, and how to eventually get into raid groups, end-game, etc. Preach did not know that boons were critical to party-based play, and that it can potentially triple your DPS. During his Teatime episode with Teapot, Preach called the game out for this, and he's 100% right.

You can't have core mechanics which are key to success and not educate the player base. A person shouldn't have to go down a Youtube rabbit-hole of research just to learn how it works.

It's almost as if Anet has already preemptively thrown in the towel, and thought, "our hardcore players who like our MMO already know how this stuff works, so why bother" and didn't consider educating their next generation of players. You'd have thought that with the Steam launch, they had a golden opportunity to give the game a fresh coat of paint.

There's also the Special Forces training area, and its training golem, which could be utilized way better. I didn't even know the Special Forces training area was a thing until I started watching Anet partners/content creators, who explained everything. The game never pointed me in that direction, it's this area of the city which is basically sequestered away.

Sorry for the long post, but you hit upon a lot of important topics.

To your point about two distinct groups of players in GW2 - I guess that's to be expected of any MMO, and to some extent, can't be helped. That's why I spend most of my time training new folks, helping, contributing where I can - I don't want new folks to be discouraged. Usually if you're able to exercise a little bit of patience, people will eventually get it, and overall, I've had more success stories than horror stories.

The main horror stories I've experienced were trying to join advanced groups/CM groups. The hostility has skyrocketed to 10/10, accusations go flying, people starting vote kicking, etc. There are bad/immature players in any game, sure, but it's just downright dumb to join a PUG on LFG, whether you're in Training or Experienced, and expect everyone to magically play like a gamer god who is immune to making mistakes. That's what killproof and static groups are for, super high level gameplay.

I've had someone kick me from a strike because "they weren't getting enough quickness uptime," but that same person ran away from me, and made zero effort to stack together as a party. It was as if I was supposed to psychically know where they were going to go at all times, and what their position was going to be.

I've also had commanders announce "separate, separate!" during phases of boss fights, but people would still complain that they aren't getting boons. Why, exactly, do you need quickness when your focus should be jumping over waves of death that will downstate you?

Unfortunately, I have to blame things like ArcDPS for this, a lot of PUG players will read the data in it and go from zero to irrationally judgemental in a heartbeat. But that's a whole separate can of worms and an effort post for another day. :)

where the red fern gropes posted:

arenanet would prefer you to buy things from the gem store than worry your silly little head about all those things!!

For all my criticisms, the gem store has incredible mounts. They know their audience, and they know how to get us to swipe, I'll give them that.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 21, 2023

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Jedah posted:

For all my criticisms, the gem store has incredible mounts. They know their audience, and they know how to get us to swipe, I'll give them that.

Preach literally spent loads of money trying to gamba a mount skin he really wanted instead of a small amount to get it guaranteed.

Like, he got ALL the mount skins from the gamba license thing before getting the one he actually wanted.

Yeah, they know their audience.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Jedah posted:

I've had someone kick me from a strike because "they weren't getting enough quickness uptime," but that same person ran away from me, and made zero effort to stack together as a party. It was as if I was supposed to psychically know where they were going to go at all times, and what their position was going to be.

I've also had commanders announce "separate, separate!" during phases of boss fights, but people would still complain that they aren't getting boons. Why, exactly, do you need quickness when your focus should be jumping over waves of death that will downstate you?

Unfortunately, I have to blame things like ArcDPS for this, a lot of PUG players will read the data in it and go from zero to irrationally judgemental in a heartbeat. But that's a whole separate can of worms and an effort post for another day. :)

I'm obligated to point out that 1. Arc has the boon table that could be used to show someone if they're the only one missing uptime by being off the stack, rather than relying on how much quickness they happened to think everyone had (plus the 'average distance from commander' statistic in actual logs) and 2. before meters, people used to just not take necros and rangers or things that aren't warrior or ele into groups because... eh we're pretty sure they do bad damage.

Also didn't come up as directly but the launch era qualification for some dungeon pugs was your achievement points, so raid decoration kp is an upgrade there.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I'm obligated to point out that 1. Arc has the boon table that could be used to show someone if they're the only one missing uptime by being off the stack, rather than relying on how much quickness they happened to think everyone had (plus the 'average distance from commander' statistic in actual logs) and 2. before meters, people used to just not take necros and rangers or things that aren't warrior or ele into groups because... eh we're pretty sure they do bad damage.

Also didn't come up as directly but the launch era qualification for some dungeon pugs was your achievement points, so raid decoration kp is an upgrade there.

Ah, thanks. That's totally a fair point and, and to be honest, I don't have experience with ArcDPS, so I'll defer to you here. Maybe the PUG player in question did not know how boon tables functioned in Arc, I couldn't say. Perhaps the lesson learned here is to have the lowest possible expectations of PUGs.

I'm on the Steam version of the game, and kinda scared that I'll be flagged for running a third party app like Arcdps with GW2, then end up getting banned. Maybe that's going overboard and too paranoid. I haven't heard of any serious negative consequences using it. Still, better safe than sorry, I guess.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jedah posted:

Ah, thanks. That's totally a fair point and, and to be honest, I don't have experience with ArcDPS, so I'll defer to you here. Maybe the PUG player in question did not know how boon tables functioned in Arc, I couldn't say. Perhaps the lesson learned here is to have the lowest possible expectations of PUGs.

I'm on the Steam version of the game, and kinda scared that I'll be flagged for running a third party app like Arcdps with GW2, then end up getting banned. Maybe that's going overboard and too paranoid. I haven't heard of any serious negative consequences using it. Still, better safe than sorry, I guess.

the day people get banned for running arcdps is the day the entire raid community disappears

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

where the red fern gropes posted:

the day people get banned for running arcdps is the day the entire raid community disappears

You're probably right. Is there a reason it hasn't been officially sanctioned by Anet, or integrated into the existing game?

ApeHawk posted:

Preach literally spent loads of money trying to gamba a mount skin he really wanted instead of a small amount to get it guaranteed.

Like, he got ALL the mount skins from the gamba license thing before getting the one he actually wanted.

Yeah, they know their audience.

That video is hilarious, and I don't think there's anything wrong with paying for cosmetics. He knew what he was doing and it was very entertaining. Preach got the Point-Tipped Corvus Griffon early in that video - that one is virtually striking and gorgeous.

Locking quality of life upgrades behind the gem store is not great, though. Even Teapot, one of Anet's biggest advocates, was super annoyed that extra Build/Equipment slots remain locked behind a gem price.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 21, 2023

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Arcdps was sanctioned years ago, they don't really advertise it or anything though. The head of security had the addon developer remove some features (gear inspection, build/equipment templates, showing stats from people outside your squad/party) to get it accepted sort of under the table. There was another meter (BGDM) whose creator got permabanned for continuing to support gear inspection and giving out the means to enable it to their friends, or something like that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jedah posted:

Like you said, just pepper the whole dang early/mid game with this kind of content, it can't be that difficult to add.

Someone did reply with the fact that I didn't know (because I'm new) breakbars weren't a thing until HoT. This is valid, if in a dodgy why-bother-updating-old-content way, except they did update a bunch of old stuff with breakbars. So they felt the mechanic should be in the game with zero explanation of it. It certainly explains a lot of what I see in open world scenarios and it sucks that "abuse by the rest of the players" is their standard learning mechanic.

quote:

I don't blame arcdps. I use it to monitor my lovely performance because I want to improve. Using it to be a dick is just indicative of the playerbase. In my first few runs of DE I got a failed run where immediately all mechs and the people who played them were blamed for the ills of the world and that's without stats. People are going to throw their fits regardless of data to back it up.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Jedah posted:

You're probably right. Is there a reason it hasn't been officially sanctioned by Anet, or integrated into the existing game?

Anet has extremely dysfunctional management, and the core of the game was built around 10 to 50+ dumbasses showing up and dogpiling whatever big boss with as minimal toxicity as possible. Everything in the game is all about 'working together' so you basically can only help other players and can't compete for resuorces/can't investigate their gear/what skills they're using/etc.

these two factors combined means the game was never meant to have something like arcdps nor would management ever give approval for developing it. The closest you've got is the training golem as a result.

also generally even if they could put in the dev resources, the real problems are things like insufficient group finding tools, unacceptably high deviance in build performance, and the 'normal' mode for raids being too difficult relative to the skill floor of the game. adding in a DPS meter outside of a 'improve your own performance' cave just gives people license to be a dick and wouldn't be a huge benefit, especially since players in the know can already grab it themselves.

a personal dps meter outside of the cave also wouldn't really. help. at all, since it just tells you what your number is, not how to improve number. and it probably won't ever help because the core problem is that guild wars 2 lets you very easily make a bad build, and something like 90% of the decisions you can make are automatically incorrect and in a big way. and even when you do make a good build, the difference between 'new player' and 'person who grinded out the rotation' for most builds is unacceptably large. there's a reason you saw such a huge flock of players to power mech, and now to reaper - getting even passable DPS at a baseline level is simply way, way too difficult for most builds in this game. and then CC adds a extra wrinkle to that because the game hands it out pretty inconsistently and numerous builds on like snowcrows etc dont even have much, if any CC.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Arcdps has a place just because it's really hard to tell what anyone else is doing while you are doing your own thing in a fight and afterwards you look at the logs and see "oh, the person who is supposed to give a boon isn't really specced right" or "this player we brought on to fill for dps is doing 2k damage and just using staff guardian auto attacks" which is a actual thing I've seen.

But that of course comes with the downside of people being able to use numbah low as a blunt instrument and an excuse to be toxic, otherwise though you'd have a lot of situations of just not being able to tell where the problem is and why everyone is struggling or which player is doing the same damage of 3 of your other players combined.

In the end most problems with the game could be summed up as

Meeko posted:

Anet has extremely dysfunctional management

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Arcdps was fun to use years ago when I still raided just because when you're doing weekly runs with the same people for ages the challenge kind of goes away so competing for that 0,5% dps increase over the next person while still doing mechanics is really the only thing left to do :v:

Like the extra dps never actually mattered and carrying deadweight isn't that hard from what I remember and was only a difference in beating the enrage by however many extra minutes.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Is it worth it at all to buy the complete collection on steam for the living world content, currently $93.97, or just get the 2 main expansions?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All this raiding/strike discussion is kind of deflating when I was thinking about coming back to play for a while :negative:

None of it is stuff I didn't already know, it's just always sort of sad to get a reminder about the game's missed potential.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Praxis Prion posted:

Is it worth it at all to buy the complete collection on steam for the living world content, currently $93.97, or just get the 2 main expansions?

Isthereanydeal.com says the Complete collection has gone as low as 21% off ($78.97) on Steam, so it isn't the best discount ever, but still. The value for money is kinda absurd. Since there's no monthly subscription, your hundred bucks could translate into thousands of hours of game time. That kind of value proposition is hard to pass up.

Where they'll finally get you is when you're hooked on the game, and seeing 10 irresistible cosmetic items (on sale!) in the Gem Store. Who is gonna say no to a gigantic plush turtle mount?

Overall, though, the game is not pay-to-win, and easy on your wallet (for an MMO).

Meeko posted:

Anet has extremely dysfunctional management, and the core of the game was built around 10 to 50+ dumbasses showing up and dogpiling whatever big boss with as minimal toxicity as possible. Everything in the game is all about 'working together' so you basically can only help other players and can't compete for resuorces/can't investigate their gear/what skills they're using/etc.

these two factors combined means the game was never meant to have something like arcdps nor would management ever give approval for developing it. The closest you've got is the training golem as a result.

also generally even if they could put in the dev resources, the real problems are things like insufficient group finding tools, unacceptably high deviance in build performance, and the 'normal' mode for raids being too difficult relative to the skill floor of the game. adding in a DPS meter outside of a 'improve your own performance' cave just gives people license to be a dick and wouldn't be a huge benefit, especially since players in the know can already grab it themselves.

There is so much truth in this post. Particularly your comment about Anet having extremely dysfunctional management.

If I'm not mistaken, for the longest time, wasn't one employee assigned to be their community manager, while wearing like 10 other hats at the same time? I'm a bit torn agreeing with you so much, while also endorsing that another goon should totally buy the complete collection. Is this Stockholm syndrome?

100% agree you about insufficient group finding tools. Fixing that alone would have a ripple effect and correct so many other aspects of the game.

Just based on hearing other folks' experiences, the European server is better when it comes to the LFG system. Although it's a scuffed system as a whole, there's still a ton of PUG stuff going on of various skill levels. I personally haven't had this experience at all on NA. The NA LFG system is the wild west and unpredictable, the best experiences I've had were starting my own groups, or joining Trainings groups of new players and spending time with them and teaching them the encounter.

On a rare occasion, a Hardstuck commander might be hosting something and coaching over discord, but it's by no means the norm (for me, anyway).

As a slight change of topic, I got brave and messaged Sneb over the weekend, since I'm considering joining Skein Gang on NA. He was incredibly nice and chatted with me way longer than I expected. I only have positive things to say, dude was super inclusive and you can tell he cares. I think after looking back at a few of my negative posts on here, I need to step away from PUGs, and should probably join a community like theirs.

Harrow posted:

All this raiding/strike discussion is kind of deflating when I was thinking about coming back to play for a while :negative:

None of it is stuff I didn't already know, it's just always sort of sad to get a reminder about the game's missed potential.

Sorry, I'll take the lion's share of the blame for that. Describing it as "missed potential" is so true. As long as you're willing to avoid PUGs and focus on end game content with a static group/guild, I don't see any major reason why you shouldn't come back. The overall state of PvE is very good, there's like a dozen different specs which are viable and performing well. If you were ever thinking about an alt, this is the perfect time to jump back in.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 22, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jedah posted:

I think after looking back at a few of my negative posts on here, I need to step away from PUGs, and should probably join a community like theirs.

To be fair, I bitch a lot about the in-game tools specifically because I don't live in one of the two timezones supported by raiding Discords. If I did you'd never hear from me because I'd be busy raiding. It'd be better if there were in-game tools (also removing the comm tag) and would lift the game up universally, but there are extremely easy options if you're in God's chosen regions.

Strikes... eh, you still get asshats who think they're running some sort of turbohard content and desperately need to minmax it for normal modes. It's still all LFG unless you've got buddies, like how Goon used to run the dailies before everyone burned out. If you camp it you will get your strikes in, but in 2023 if I have to sit and refresh a list waiting for an hour (or sit trying to form a group for an hour) I'm just going to go do something else.

Praxis Prion posted:

Either way it's a gamble on if you'll like the real game or not. I just bought the expansions, and then spent nearly five months kicking myself until the LW segments went on sale on the gem store. If I hadn't gotten into the game I guess it would have felt better saving money, but then the game pulled a nasty trick and was actually fun to play.

Plus everyone in [GOON] rules, so that helped.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mailer posted:

but in 2023 if I have to sit and refresh a list waiting for an hour (or sit trying to form a group for an hour) I'm just going to go do something else.

It is unfortunate but the way GW2 group roles work you can't really have an automated group finder.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think ANet still likes to think of group content being 'above' the standard cookie cutter healer, tank, buffer, etc, and that worked until they added specializations with those roles and then added content which "required" those roles. I liked the game better when everyone could be their own healer, which is still maybe possible if you do all the dodging and movement mechanics perfectly and don't stack on top of every fight.. I guess?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there is no holy trinity but by the combination of player expectations and build design there's a loose bimodal distribution of DPS/Support that hinges on so small a number of factors (mainly buff distribution) that overarching party roles and responsibilities are extremely uniform and "optimal" builds are very constrained. the details of how a build plays moment-to-moment can still be fun but it doesn't always feel great when your role is boiled down to providing quickness, alacrity, or both

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah the pre-EoD content was not balanced around having all boons permanently and it shows.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mailer posted:

To be fair, I bitch a lot about the in-game tools specifically because I don't live in one of the two timezones supported by raiding Discords. If I did you'd never hear from me because I'd be busy raiding. It'd be better if there were in-game tools (also removing the comm tag) and would lift the game up universally, but there are extremely easy options if you're in God's chosen regions.

Strikes... eh, you still get asshats who think they're running some sort of turbohard content and desperately need to minmax it for normal modes. It's still all LFG unless you've got buddies, like how Goon used to run the dailies before everyone burned out. If you camp it you will get your strikes in, but in 2023 if I have to sit and refresh a list waiting for an hour (or sit trying to form a group for an hour) I'm just going to go do something else.

Either way it's a gamble on if you'll like the real game or not. I just bought the expansions, and then spent nearly five months kicking myself until the LW segments went on sale on the gem store. If I hadn't gotten into the game I guess it would have felt better saving money, but then the game pulled a nasty trick and was actually fun to play.

Plus everyone in [GOON] rules, so that helped.

Can’t believe I haven’t inquired about the goon guild yet. I think I’ve even see y’all running around in the open world and almost asked if they had stairs in their house. I wasn’t serious about finding guilds until getting some characters to end game content, but now it seems to be the way to go.

Which are the time zones best supported by discord? I’m guessing Eastern time for NA and that the European server(s) as a whole are alive and well?

I don’t know if there’s an easy solution for fixing LFG. Probably not. If they won’t implement an automated group finding/creation tool, we’re stuck.

I'm probably the millionth person to suggest this, but maybe they could add filters (similar to the Trading post) where you can sort players by some kind of metric, maybe it’s based on their achievements, gear, personal fractal level, agony resistance, completion of quests, some kind of character data, etc. I realize this could divide communities and ruffle some feathers, but it could work.

While filters could be helpful and may match like-minded players together, it still wouldn’t fix the underlying problem that LFG (on NA) is basically dead. Around peak times during the weekend I see it come alive, but otherwise it’s slow. Other times, I'll be in Dragonstorm in a giant group, but no one has organized it - I'm just flying solo in a swarm of other players, not in a Squad run by someone with a tag. So yes, make the Comm tag free, charging 300 gold is beyond silly.

LFG should be available to queue you while you’re gathering winterberries, Drizzlewood, or running a battleground, doing whatever it is you want - you shouldn’t have to sit there and refresh a list or actively think about it. You should just plug in your filter preferences and have the game auto match you with others who have similar preferences. A “set it and forget” approach would help immensely.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 23, 2023

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Jedah posted:

I'm probably the millionth person to suggest this, but maybe they could add filters (similar to the Trading post) where you can sort players by some kind of metric, maybe it’s based on their achievements, gear, personal fractal level, agony resistance, completion of quests, some kind of character data, etc. I realize this could divide communities and ruffle some feathers, but it could work.

Terrible idea unless you can also sort people by how fancy their outfit is.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You mean sort them by how many infusions they're stacking?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah the pre-EoD content was not balanced around having all boons permanently and it shows.

I genuinely don't think that's true, the methods of distributing these buffs as well as the removal of stuff like spotter, banners, assassin's presence has change group comps but since hot day 1 group content has always wanted those boons with as much duration as possible

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Oh I have no doubt they were wanted, it's just that(apparently; I was not playing the game back then but from I heard/old videos I watched) 100% duration on everything was not realistic. Especially the really strong ones like protection, or even 25 might.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mr. Neutron posted:

Oh I have no doubt they were wanted, it's just that(apparently; I was not playing the game back then but from I heard/old videos I watched) 100% duration on everything was not realistic. Especially the really strong ones like protection, or even 25 might.

unless I'm misremembering badly the trio of stm chrono, ps warrior, and gotl druid provided 100% uptime on all that stuff

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Full boon uptime in instanced content has been a thing for the majority of GW2’s lifespan at this point

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Eltoasto posted:

Terrible idea unless you can also sort people by how fancy their outfit is.

IBS Fast 5 - Need HS. Maid outfits ONLY or kicked.

orcane posted:

You mean sort them by how many infusions they're stacking?

Sorta, I realize infusions are used for many things - but mostly it would be good to know a party member's Agony resistance for running fractals in LFG. Someone with zero/little agony resistance shouldn't be in certain fractals, so I think that's reasonable.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

also the game never actually worked how they wanted it to in the first place because there's a tremendously huge amount of deviance in the power of individual trait and skill choices

like take Warrior's Discpilne grandmaster for example. You could get 16% more crit damage at all times, AND have your adrenaline taken care of, AND 20% faster recharge on axe skills...or you can get 4 seconds of quickness on a 15 second cooldown *only* when you hit a target below 50% health...or you could get 7% more damage but only on burst skills and they like, give you some adrenaline back.

even if you aren't using an axe, axe mastery is still the most damage by a huge amount. it's not even a meaningful choice, the damage difference is so huge there's no PvE scenario you'd ever take either of the other two traits.

this is further compounded by damage boosts being multiplicative (some aren't but let's not worry about that right now most of them are), so each wrong choice adds up and just like, one or two wrong choices can completely gut your damage.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jedah posted:

IBS Fast 5 - Need HS. Maid outfits ONLY or kicked.

Sorta, I realize infusions are used for many things - but mostly it would be good to know a party member's Agony resistance for running fractals in LFG. Someone with zero/little agony resistance shouldn't be in certain fractals, so I think that's reasonable.
I meant the (very rare/expensive) cosmetic infusions :v:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Jedah posted:

As a slight change of topic, I got brave and messaged Sneb over the weekend, since I'm considering joining Skein Gang on NA. He was incredibly nice and chatted with me way longer than I expected. I only have positive things to say, dude was super inclusive and you can tell he cares. I think after looking back at a few of my negative posts on here, I need to step away from PUGs, and should probably join a community like theirs.

Sorry, I'll take the lion's share of the blame for that. Describing it as "missed potential" is so true. As long as you're willing to avoid PUGs and focus on end game content with a static group/guild, I don't see any major reason why you shouldn't come back. The overall state of PvE is very good, there's like a dozen different specs which are viable and performing well. If you were ever thinking about an alt, this is the perfect time to jump back in.

The moment it dawned on me that NA's answer to LFG was to privatize the industry, it all clicked. Hardstuck, Skein Gang, Raid Academy, etc: these guilds/discords serve the function of GW2's LFG function.

I was/is in SG for a couple months now. You can find competent, organized raid groups every single night on NA, doing all the content. You still need to be quick because others may snatch those 1-2 open raid spots. But it's less competition and you'll often find groups you resonate with. I ended up raiding with one team for over a month to the point where their commander would msg me first. If I had the time to keep going, I would have joined as a static member.

But! You ought to be familiar with the raids. I found Saraiguma's raid teaching to be immensely helpful. I was prepared for every HoT raid and could handle all the "oh poo poo" moments. Also, tanking raids gives you a better perspective on the mechanics

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Just a general heads up that the Twitch drops have started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AmbientParadox posted:

Also, tanking raids gives you a better perspective on the mechanics

Healing, too! Having the game go from "if I don't internalize a dozen different time periods and hit them all perfectly I'm literal trash" to "I just need to strategically aim circles" meant I had a *lot* more time to adjust to the fight and watch for mechanics.