Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tigersklaw posted:

When did the US trade Maine for the Ontario peninsula? Must have missed that
During the war between Narrow Egypt and Small Burma.

e: Better map, updated for 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

So DeSantis wants VAT?

He's a chode, but VAT is hardly unusual.

Trump wants America in the same category as Iran and Libya! I can also write bad attack copy!

But VAT is regressive!!!

*Dies of preventable illness*

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://twitter.com/keirasoup/status/1659666097275293704?t=lw7LCnW-hOK9prvK_6KqCw&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

"266. Nobody cared."

Looks like they preemptively released the court's ruling by mistake.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

So DeSantis wants VAT?

He's a chode, but VAT is hardly unusual.

Trump wants America in the same category as Iran and Libya! I can also write bad attack copy!

Admittedly I know exactly nothing about "the DeSantis Tax Plan" but I would bet money that the 23% national sales tax was probably going to be matched by massive cuts to all progressive taxes, so not so much "DeSantis wants VAT" and something more like "DeSantis wants VAT to replace income tax, capital gains tax and corporation tax".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like the old joke goes, the Democrats think that VAT is too regressive and the Republicans think that it's too European. If only we could convince the Dems that it's European and the Repubs that it's regressive they'd pass it in a week.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My understanding is that VAT is just a sales tax with some technical tweaks to make sure only the end user pays. So if I'm a cookie making company and I buy water to give to my workers and flour to put into my cookies, I pay taxes on both when I buy them, and file forms to get a refund on the flour once someone else pays the taxes on the cookies they went into. This type of tax break already generally happens but with VAT it happens with either less paperwork or the same paperwork standardized across industries or more consistently across companies, I don't know exactly but folks I know who know taxes think it's just better.

So sure, VAT is regressive in the way all sales taxes are, but it isn't going to really change anything.

The issue is people have some dumb idea that this magical VAT thing can just bring in more money. One guy said Europe just has the VAT and they don't have an income tax, which is easily checked bullshit, you'd need a sales tax of 33+%.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
VAT is dumb and functionally equivalent to sales tax. Not having it at the feral level is one of the few things America gets right.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

cat botherer posted:

VAT is dumb and functionally equivalent to sales tax. Not having it at the feral level is one of the few things America gets right.

Freudian typo?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Jesus loving Christ i need to get into political advertising. The poo poo I do actually requires that we have an impact and I'm paid nothing compared to what I'm assuming are all nepotism hires

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

My understanding is that VAT is just a sales tax with some technical tweaks to make sure only the end user pays. So if I'm a cookie making company and I buy water to give to my workers and flour to put into my cookies, I pay taxes on both when I buy them, and file forms to get a refund on the flour once someone else pays the taxes on the cookies they went into. This type of tax break already generally happens but with VAT it happens with either less paperwork or the same paperwork standardized across industries or more consistently across companies, I don't know exactly but folks I know who know taxes think it's just better.
VAT is a bunch of extra paperwork and bureaucracy aimed at making sales tax fraud harder. Whether it's worthwhile depends on how much off-the-books tax dodging business transactions you have. There probably isn't enough sales tax fraud in the US to justify the extra administration cost

In the US, your cookie making company asserts the flour is for resale when they buy it and doesn't pay any sales tax. You can dodge tax by improperly classifying stuff as for resale instead of for use. With VAT, you pay sales tax always, then file for a refund after you actually resell it. The payments and refunds net out to exactly the same as end user only sales tax, but it incentives recordkeeping (to support your refund claim) and recruits intermediary suppliers for tax enforcement

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To the end-user sales and VAT are similar (well other that VAT rates are standardized and you're actually shown the real price you'll pay).

cat botherer posted:

Lol no.

The big difference is that every VAT system that comes to mind is national. The funds are then distributed to the municipalities based on what they need, and not how much they collected (i.e. communism). For example, here the taxes a town gets are calculated as follows: 78% based on adjusted population, 10% actual population, 9% # of children in kindergartens or schools, 3% area.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Finally, tower 7 is adequately explained.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
kirby and the never forgotten land

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cat botherer posted:

Computer, show me the stupidest thing.

cat botherer posted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Guavanaut posted:

Especially as it's a known fact that Vietnam can beat 1950s France.

:thurman:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Wow, yeah, having a VAT at the local level would probably be a shitshow, and we're not going to have a federal sales tax, so I guess that idea is dead.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

To the end-user sales and VAT are similar (well other that VAT rates are standardized and you're actually shown the real price you'll pay).

Lol no.

The big difference is that every VAT system that comes to mind is national. The funds are then distributed to the municipalities based on what they need, and not how much they collected (i.e. communism). For example, here the taxes a town gets are calculated as follows: 78% based on adjusted population, 10% actual population, 9% # of children in kindergartens or schools, 3% area.
You're talking about two different things: the tax, and how its receipts are allocated. If our government weren't so lovely, we could distribute the funds from income taxes better as well. And that would be far less regressive than a big new national VAT.

It's European so it must be good!

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 21, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

You're talking about two different things: the tax, and how its receipts are allocated. If our government weren't so lovely, we could distribute the funds from income taxes better as well. And that would be far less regressive than a big new national VAT.

It's European so it must be good!
You already have the sales tax. So you can keep the lovely, local sales tax that gets spent on manicuring lawns in rich towns, or switch to VAT which everyone else is using.

Third option is that you keep arguing about how regressive it is, while effectively perpetrating the current system.

It's not good because it's European, it's good because it collects the funds necessary for the welfare state.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

You already have the sales tax. So you can keep the lovely, local sales tax that gets spent on manicuring lawns in rich towns, or switch to VAT which everyone else is using.

Third option is that you keep arguing about how regressive it is, while effectively perpetrating the current system.

It's not good because it's European, it's good because it collects the funds necessary for the welfare state.
The same thing can be achieved with higher income taxes, which are progressive, not regressive.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cat botherer posted:

The same thing can be achieved with higher income taxes, which are progressive, not regressive.

I mean, fair enough I guess, but for example in Finland

in units of megaeuros. Out of the green box, VAT makes up about 25 000 megaeuros. Now, compared to the US of A, Finland has fairly high income tax levels, though I agree they could be higher, but we're talking about ~50% increase to assorted income taxes to make up for dropping VAT. That seems like... A lot.

And Finland doesn't have a surplus population of bezoses to guillotine, at least on a scale comparable to the US :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

Maybe it could, but it isn't.

I really love this. Tax system that's difficult to game and is shown to provide sufficient revenue for welfare programs? Too regressive.

Guaranteed universal healthcare with multiple payers and optional private insurance? Too unequal.

Rappaport posted:

I mean, fair enough I guess, but for example in Finland

in units of megaeuros. Out of the green box, VAT makes up about 25 000 megaeuros. Now, compared to the US of A, Finland has fairly high income tax levels, though I agree they could be higher, but we're talking about ~50% increase to assorted income taxes to make up for dropping VAT. That seems like... A lot.

And Finland doesn't have a surplus population of bezoses to guillotine, at least on a scale comparable to the US :shrug:
Too bad we have to suffer in these regressive shitholes :)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Wouldn't making sales tax national accomplish your goal? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how it's been explained

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Wouldn't making sales tax national accomplish your goal? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how it's been explained
Mostly yeah. The idea with VAT is that it's harder (but definitely not impossible) to cheat. I'm not sure how much of an issue that is in practice without doing tons of research so it might be good enough.

Anyway
https://twitter.com/dieworkwear/status/1660067845982781440

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hope the poor and neglected have a plan for the next decade.

Also lol

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 21, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

We should tax the rich for that.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe it could, but it isn't.

I really love this. Tax system that's difficult to game and is shown to provide sufficient revenue for welfare programs? Too regressive.

Guaranteed universal healthcare with multiple payers and optional private insurance? Too unequal.

Too bad we have to suffer in these regressive shitholes :)

Any VAT in the US would be easy to game as well, because it wouldn’t be implemented otherwise. Income tax could be made hard to game as well, by closing loopholes and making investment income taxable. The advantages of VAT you say exist have little to do with the form of VAT itself, and far more to do with the people putting their thumbs on the tax policy scale.

VAT is regressive, so it creates a non-insignificant portion of the problem that the welfare system is intended to solve with those funds.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok good luck, I certainly won't be holding my breath for that actually getting implemented :thumbsup:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rappaport posted:

Is this...Sexist somehow? There's a roof thingy so it doesn't snow on you during winter! (Not an issue in California, I suppose) There's a small bench! This is all very :psylon:

i can't explain to you why this is the case, but in some parts of la these kind of bus stops are standard, and in other parts you're lucky to get even a bench. the one's without shelters are inevitably deep in the urban heat effect with no effective shade anywhere near by. if these shade thingies somehow are magically actually installable, then it is a material step up in the summers. still seems useless for the rainy winters though

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
In philly covered stops are mostly found in the more densely populated parts of the city. In the outlying areas you get a sign attached to a telephone pole

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1660677660044058627

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Edit: possibly nsfw, removed

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1660423908091211776?s=20

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

And nothing else has happened in the last 30 years that would also cause the price to go up? Seems a but disingenuous to not discuss the multiple upgrades the missile has had that could increase the cost.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In 1978, a family of four could afford a comprehensive IADS on a single salary.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is the missile now 7x more capable than before? (Adjusted for inflation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

loving real wages not even close to keeping up with ordinance values, what a sham economy.