Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've been getting more and more emails from Linkedin lately, like one every few days, asking me to update my profile. It's weird as it's up-to-date anyway, and I don't use it at all as a social network, so I've no idea what it actually wants from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

been pondering the impact of GPT-4 and other LLMs. Near term (1-3 years) on the corporate side, I see it having its highest effect in 3 areas:

1. augmenting/replacing low level customer support work such as web chats, email responses, and possibly even call centers after voice emulation is improved.
2. accelerating programmer and web designer efficiency through templating huge chunks of code.
3. being put into office suites for acceleration of boilerplate language drafting and data analysis (charting)

so, questions. am I wrong? is there some other high impact area near-term?

and if I'm right... those things, especially #1/#2, might disproportionately affect outsourced work, like work done in India. so who will benefit the most from that? will US employers simply be able to cut out Indian outsourcing, increasing US profits? or will outsourcing continue and the Indian outsourcing will just become better (in both quality and profitability)? or something else?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spincube posted:

I've been getting more and more emails from Linkedin lately, like one every few days, asking me to update my profile. It's weird as it's up-to-date anyway, and I don't use it at all as a social network, so I've no idea what it actually wants from me.

Linkedin aggressively does everything they can to try to push engagement. If you're not blocking tracking in your email and you long on shortly after they've sent one or god forbit clicked on a link in one of their emails to log on/see something they will spend the next several weeks bombarding you with things they think are similar in an attempt to drive you back to the site.

It's like a crazy stalker ex.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

pmchem posted:

been pondering the impact of GPT-4 and other LLMs. Near term (1-3 years) on the corporate side, I see it having its highest effect in 3 areas:

1. augmenting/replacing low level customer support work such as web chats, email responses, and possibly even call centers after voice emulation is improved.
2. accelerating programmer and web designer efficiency through templating huge chunks of code.
3. being put into office suites for acceleration of boilerplate language drafting and data analysis (charting)

and if I'm right... those things, especially #1/#2, might disproportionately affect outsourced work, like work done in India. so who will benefit the most from that? will US employers simply be able to cut out Indian outsourcing, increasing US profits? or will outsourcing continue and the Indian outsourcing will just become better (in both quality and profitability)? or something else?

A lot of the things that these are being promoted for, they do really shittily and can't be relied upon. You don't get any advantage from AI for boilerplate because it's already boilerplate; and for anything where the content is sensitive, you're going to have to manually check all the output anyways. Low level customer support might be automated, but it will be automated because the company doesn't care that the result is total garbage, not because these algos can actually act as a substitute.

The places where I see LLM being useful is expanded integration into database and document digitization, including in supply chain logistics - it's a form where the tools are already highly effective and don't require semantic processing, they're just not standardized as well as they could be, especially on the regulatory side.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

in a well actually posted:

Idk storm forecasting sounds pretty cool, is an oscilloscope a fancy barometer?

Unfortunately metrology is far more boring than meteorology.

priznat posted:

Oscilloscopes do rock.

The little lunchbox ones are my fav especially now that they have colour screens and all that.

It’s fun when you happen on an old one that still boots windows 95 and takes decades to start up lol (usually those are logic analyzers though)

Yeah this one was an ancient Hewlett-Packard model, it was really only cool cause it had the game Centipede built into it, though they were calling it Bugs. The new ones they make are super cool, although at our level we sure as hell have no purpose for them other than some real basic poo poo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you're using Indian labor that can be replaced with LLMs you're really bad at outsourcing.

There are a ton of very talented junior engineers with great schooling and lack of experience available for very cheap. They are of course going to use the experience at a western company to move up and often times out to a work visa in a country that pays better, but you can get a good few years out of a bright early in career engineer if you treat them well and give them opportunity for training and advancement. You also need to make an actual investment in India as a company and not just hire contractors or your experience will suck badly. That's the kind of "outsourcing" that can be replaced by an LLM because it was never actually useful to begin with so it hardly matters if it gets any worse (example: customer "service" call centers where the employees aren't actually empowered to DO anything other than read scripts).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1660478948986466306?s=20

wtffffffff

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

a bunch of indians are super, super weird about hitler

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Can't be a risk advisor if you are afraid of taking risks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a bunch of indians are super, super weird about hitler

Yeeeeeep.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

pmchem posted:

I think in the short term, it's going to have a high impact on training, tutorizing, and onboarding to tools and workflows (long term it might replace those workflows).

If it's integrated in complex software, it can reduce the need to read through long tutorials or even take expensive training classes. For example, you could have Photoshop integrated with AI so you can type in to ask questions like "How can I non-destructively edit the color of this image to make it black and white, and what is non-destructive editing, why should I care about non-destructive editing?" and have it both describe the usefulness of this, as well as visually highlight in the tool the steps directly in the tool to perform the workflow.

I was talking to someone yesterday that mentioned that AI was already being introduced in the onboarding and tutorialization experience for some accounting software, reducing how many people the company was using to train new customers in their software that purchased it, causing that person's role to shift a bit to spend less time teaching people to use the software, and more time on more advanced customer support needs.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
There is a non-insignificant portion of business school students in India that see Mein Kampf as a business motivation book. I had an Indian colleague mention this to me and I thought he was making stuff up. I ended up going down a rabbit hole and learned that Hitler is weirdly celebrated in some segments of Indian society as some sort of motivational icon.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The apology letter:

my recent post on "Hitler" :thunk:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trabant posted:

The apology letter:

Wonder if his LinkedIn is up to date with employer still.

Apropos of the AI thing: I think in consulting there’s going to be a major push to leverage it in content development. A huge chunk of our work is reused content and frameworks, and junior resources pulling that stuff together for more senior people to then dump actual knowledge on top of is basically the whole model.

It’s going to start with proposal responses, especially public sector ones. If an AI can get you to 80%, you can theoretically go after more business. I’m actually curious to see how procurement shops respond to this - I could see a world where AI generated responses are grounds for disqualification. (Probably not in public sector though, governments are so far behind with policy on tech like this)

In other areas of procurement, AI led negotiations are already a thing, and in many cases are actually preferred by the selling party to dealing with a human. Again, like 80% of a negotiation is pretty rote, so being able to have a counter party that actually responds immediately on that stuff is a very nice thing to have. Companies like Walmart are already incorporating this into their procurement and contract management processes.

The big bottleneck will be around the data maturity required for any of this stuff to be actionable.

I dunno, I think generative ai stuff is for real and is going to be extremely disruptive. There is going to be a stupid amount of investment and money being made in this space, not all of it by grifters.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our invoice float is in the thousands. If an AI could chunk that down, especially the routine stuff, it’d free up a ton of time.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am a proposal manager and at first I felt like my job might be threatened by the recent ai developments, but then I realized that most proposal shops are already using automation software to get proposals to about 90% completion anyway. So I’m not sure much will change for me. It’s rare that I actually need to write any new content these days, my value comes from herding the cats, making sure everything is compliant, and polishing the final product. Even if ai can take over more tasks there will still need to be a human to direct and approve each step. I hope I’m not wrong!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Trabant posted:

The apology letter:

Issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Hitler, you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Actually that would have been a way better apology. Instead it's a sorry you were offended non apology.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jordan7hm posted:

If an AI can get you to 80%, you can theoretically go after more business.
Or you can do the same business with 80% less staff.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Guy Axlerod posted:

Issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Hitler, you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Actually that would have been a way better apology. Instead it's a sorry you were offended non apology.

This guy continues to prove that it would be mod brained to hire Deloitte.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or you can do the same business with 80% less staff.

I don’t think that’s where consulting will go. We’re fundamentally a business geared around selling people’s time, and from what I’ve seen we will almost always prefer growing the top line to improving margins. The fact it’s dominated by partnerships rather than public entities is a major factor here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Trabant posted:

The apology letter:

I see future posts such as:

"How to learn decisiveness from Stalin"
"Mao's struggle sessions"
“Economic lessons from Pol Pot: How a skull based economy impacts long term GDP growth”

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think 80% is kinda of a misnomer here. 80% of the process boxes and material generated? Sure. 80% of where the work and time is actually going? We're pretty far from that.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

In high school when we reached WW2 in history class, my teacher spent a long time telling us how Hitler was the most influential man in history. It was a really weird thing to experience. That same teacher was arrested many years after I graduated for domestic violence, so he had issues.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

I see future posts such as:

"How to learn decisiveness from Stalin"
"Mao's struggle sessions"
“Economic lessons from Pol Pot: How a skull based economy impacts long term GDP growth”

“Creating actionable RACE charts”

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
They still can't get OCR software in my industry to distinguish between I, l, 1 and | correctly enough to make it worth using (or have it understand how to use more than 2Gb of memory, lol) Until a perfect "AI" replaces every single person/trade in the pipeline above me, I have 0 worries because it would be chewing on the same incomplete and paradox-filled garbage that I have to.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

TraderStav posted:

“Driving business results with insights from Warhammer 40k”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
"Going from temp fixes to a final workforce solution"

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a coworker a presentation where one of the slides had a rather obvious swastika in the flow chart. I told them that I assume this was a unfortunate routing of arrows, but I better not see that again. This is a team (who all speak English as a second language) where we have coached multiple people that "final solution" is a phrase to avoid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A single solution for sales, a single solution for logistics, a single solution for reporting. With Novon's Systematic Distribution and Planning you wont be building your company to handle the problems of this year, you'll be securing a future for your business for the next 1,000

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

A single solution for sales, a single solution for logistics, a single solution for reporting. With Novon's Systematic Distribution and Planning you wont be building your company to handle the problems of this year, you'll be securing a future for your business for the next 1,000

This is subtle enough to fly past a lot of people.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Jesus Christ :stonklol:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Barudak posted:

:golfclap:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Barudak posted:

Gotta admit, I don't even know what I'm looking at here

Didn't even tingle the Spidey senses until I saw the reactions lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don’t get it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I don’t get it

don't know if you're being serious but check out the NSDAP and thinly disguised fourteen words

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
So I only understood it after googling NSDAP. I feel like if you automatically get that you are WAY too exposed to Nazis/information about Nazis.

Edit: My autocorrect keeps capitalizing Nazi and it bothers me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

therobit posted:

So I only understood it after googling NSDAP. I feel like if you automatically get that you are WAY too exposed to Nazis/information about Nazis.

Edit: My autocorrect keeps capitalizing Nazi and it bothers me.

We're ALL too exposed to Nazis and information about them because they keep showing up all over the place.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I missed that entirely and thought it was a joke about how you'd implement a new single-solution ERP suite and spend the next thousand years trying to make it work. :shrug:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

I missed that entirely and thought it was a joke about how you'd implement a new single-solution ERP suite and spend the next thousand years trying to make it work. :shrug:

It's both!

Punch all the Nazis all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Had me right up until the end. Figured it out at "1000 years".

Really can't believe that dude was a risk manager and couldn't manage the risk about not posting about Hitler on LinkedIn.