Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Snake Maze posted:

I think my one complaint about TotK so far is that unless I missed something, the great fairies (and, crucially, armor upgrades) can only be activated in a specific order, so you have to go to rito village first, at least enough to activate the first fairy, if you don't want to get oneshot by everything.

Finding any of the other fairies gives you a pretty big hint where to go, so it's not a huge flaw, but it kind of goes against the open ended structure of the game. I guess they wanted to push you towards starting the reporter questline early, so you can do them organically as you explore? But it seems like it would be better to put the start of the quest more central if that's the goal, and let the fairies all be done independently.

I'm confused by this, because the first fairy I did was the woodland stable one with the crew you just need to haul up to her on your horse , I still haven't found the drat flute guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

External Organs posted:

I'm confused by this, because the first fairy I did was the woodland stable one with the crew you just need to haul up to her on your horse , I still haven't found the drat flute guy.

You can't do that until you've started the reporter quest right outside Rito Village though, or at least that's how it seemed when I got there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Snake Maze posted:

I think my one complaint about TotK so far is that unless I missed something, the great fairies (and, crucially, armor upgrades) can only be activated in a specific order, so you have to go to rito village first, at least enough to activate the first fairy, if you don't want to get oneshot by everything.

Finding any of the other fairies gives you a pretty big hint where to go, so it's not a huge flaw, but it kind of goes against the open ended structure of the game. I guess they wanted to push you towards starting the reporter questline early, so you can do them organically as you explore? But it seems like it would be better to put the start of the quest more central if that's the goal, and let the fairies all be done independently.

Yes, it was designed for that purpose, just like Breath of the Wild. Although you can in theory go pretty much anywhere you want once you finish tutorial island, they still really want you to do things in a specific order. If you do that, then you're not going to get oneshot by anything, even without upgrading your armor at all. I didn't unlock any fairies until I beat the first dungeon, which I did with only 5 hearts, and I am by no means particularly good at this game.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Snake Maze posted:

You can't do that until you've started the reporter quest right outside Rito Village though, or at least that's how it seemed when I got there.

Ah, that does make sense. I did indeed do that.

I also did rescue the guy in the hole.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Triarii posted:

I'm using an 8bitdo controller with one of the back paddles set to an autofire A button for hoovering up big piles of loot, would recommend

I have the paddles set to B and X. Running, jumping, and gliding are probably things I spend the most time doing, so it made sense over attacking or interactions

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just finished the Wind Temple and the game is funny because it's mechanically difficult and requires both lateral thinking while also making you die quickly if you don't Dark Souls the combat. It also is full No Child Left Behind when it comes to the story. You get to the temple and it does a whole thing of showing you the gears trying and failing to turn, telling you what needs to be done. Then your bird friend goes "WOW those gears aren't moving, I wonder if there is a way to get them to move!". Then a dead sage come down in golden light and goes "Hero you must get the gears to move to progress just letting you know".

I dunno, if you can get to the place then you probably could figure that out!

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I have been playing since launch. I have yet to find a great fairy. Losing my drat mind.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey, how do I get Robbie to haul his rear end to Hateno village and upgrade my drat pad for me? He keeps saying he wants to stick around and look after Josah, and Josah keeps saying she wants to examine the picture I took in the depths introductory quest for her, but neither of them will give me a new quest and I even got to the research lab just to see if Robbie would show up and, nope, closed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

It goes against the open ended structure of BotW, but not against the structure of TotK.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Hey, how do I get Robbie to haul his rear end to Hateno village and upgrade my drat pad for me? He keeps saying he wants to stick around and look after Josah, and Josah keeps saying she wants to examine the picture I took in the depths introductory quest for her, but neither of them will give me a new quest and I even got to the research lab just to see if Robbie would show up and, nope, closed.

finish one of the temples and the quest will progress

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Waffleopolis posted:

I have been playing since launch. I have yet to find a great fairy. Losing my drat mind.

They're always near a stable, and can be seen from a distance with pink smoke coming out of them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Those puff mushrooms are incredibly powerful, I'm making short work of camps of silver enemies even by dropping onto them and opening with a puffball, killing 3/4 of them, then blitzing down the big guard that most of the time still can't even find me.

It's not entirely foolproof though when you can't see the explosives strewn about the place

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm enjoying the bokoblin hat. I can walk into a camp and I get them all following me while start collect all the bomb barrels and make a giant death trap they never see coming.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My favorite thing to do is turn a bosskoblin against his subjects and watch from a perk as he either succumbs to a thousand needles or is left victorious, alone and diminished.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's amazing when they all get their shields in formation around the boss, but then you turn him and he's in perfect AOE position to their backs.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

turn a bosskoblin against his subjects

how do you do this?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Muddlebud, the purple flower that's all over the depths, makes mobs fight among themselves

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the only real flaw in totk is that it makes botw worse imo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Muddlebud, the purple flower that's all over the depths, makes mobs fight among themselves

lol dank

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Epic High Five posted:

Those puff mushrooms are incredibly powerful, I'm making short work of camps of silver enemies even by dropping onto them and opening with a puffball, killing 3/4 of them, then blitzing down the big guard that most of the time still can't even find me.

It's not entirely foolproof though when you can't see the explosives strewn about the place

They make lynel fighting fun frankly.

On an amiibo drop I got some ancient tech and they vaporize enemies like ancient arrows but they also disappear regardless of weapon/arrow fuse unfortunately.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the new armors that give you attack bonuses in harsh weather are pretty neat. it gives you the option of just not using the element-resistance armors and just cooking food instead so you can have better offense.
also they look cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw is there no way to see enemy HP values anymore? I got the box art outfit but it doesn't show how much health the enemies have

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

It's one of two very early quests that pretty much reinforce the idea of "visit every stable ASAP". It's a major side quest there's not really a problem in it having sequential steps. It's so much clearer and easier then finding Great Fairies in BOTW it's not really a problem, and I don't think there's anything that prevents you from doing it the moment you get the paraglider.

I was pretty surprised that the first great fairy just puts the icons of the 4 on the map, so even if you haven't found the stables you know where to go.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This thread moves fast so sorry if someone already posted this but there is an absurdly easy method for duping items in the Materials category now, including diamonds, Large Zonite, and any fuse materials your heart desires. Gonna put it in spoilers for people who don't even want to know.

1. Put Link into a state where he has his paraglider out. Do this on a small ledge because you have to pick the items up off the ground, don't leap out of a tower and do it way up in the sky.

2. Go into your menu and put as many of the item swaddled in your arms as you can.

3. To exit the menu, hit Y and B at the same time. The timing on hitting both at the same time is tight but not difficult.

4. Hitting Y and B bypasses the "you can't use that here" error and spawns the items on the ground while also keeping them in your inventory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4fE_9LXY88

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I definitely did not do the Great Fairies in that order because the first one I did was the one with Violin player quest. Then the one with the guy stuck in a hole. I may have gone to the Gazette first but I don't think I did before the Violin player one. I could be wrong though. I found the first fairy pretty early on because it was just a little north east of Lookout Landing. I distinctly remember that because I also found Koltin right around the same time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

pentyne posted:

It's one of two very early quests that pretty much reinforce the idea of "visit every stable ASAP". It's a major side quest there's not really a problem in it having sequential steps. It's so much clearer and easier then finding Great Fairies in BOTW it's not really a problem, and I don't think there's anything that prevents you from doing it the moment you get the paraglider.

I was pretty surprised that the first great fairy just puts the icons of the 4 on the map, so even if you haven't found the stables you know where to go.

Imo which again brings up the idea of needing to get on a horse an go full Hyrulian Road Truckers around the land to get to all the stables rather than the myriad of other traversal methods (including climbing or just flying where you want to go) because important stuff is scattered all over the main roads.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

X-O posted:

I definitely did not do the Great Fairies in that order because the first one I did was the one with Violin player quest. Then the one with the guy stuck in a hole. I may have gone to the Gazette first but I don't think I did before the Violin player one. I could be wrong though. I found the first fairy pretty early on because it was just a little north east of Lookout Landing. I distinctly remember that because I also found Koltin right around the same time.

I think I might've veered in the same direction as you because I also found her and Koltin in quick succession. How anyone could be introduced to the Stable Trotters and not instantly want to go beeline all of their quests is beyond me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Actually, wait, I've played this game and beelining anything is hard because there are so many things to pull your attention lol.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well the violinist is the closest one to Lookout Landing, it's also by far the easiest quest of the Fairies to complete as you don't have to literally hunt the violinist down beforehand. She's already there. I think it might be intended to be the first Great Fairy for that reason alone.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Game meets people where they are most of time except stables lol. Like idc about stables coming from botw but it seems like I guess I’ll hop on one and just ride and get all the stables so I can get upgrades. In botw I found them all just by checking places out or flying around.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So if the divine beasts from BOTW were all named for 3 of the relevant sages from OOT and then Medli from Windwaker, games where you famously fight Ganondorf, does that in turn mean since there has also been a Ganondorf pinned under the castle from the kingdoms founding on until this latest game, all of those other stories had a second Dorf down there?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also for you people wanting to stock up on arrows, find the closed stable near Gerudo. Tons of boxes filled with arrows to break.

Though I'm not sure how anyone could have a problem finding arrows in this game they are literally everywhere.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Caidin posted:

So if the divine beasts from BOTW were all named for 3 of the relevant sages from OOT and then Medli from Windwaker, games where you famously fight Ganondorf, does that in turn mean since there has also been a Ganondorf pinned under the castle from the kingdoms founding on until this latest game, all of those other stories had a second Dorf down there?
The relevant question here is "which founding".

Hyrule seems to have been independently founded multiple times in its history and we ain't heard dick about King Rauru before; it's not like he was in Skyward Sword, y'know?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CapnAndy posted:

The relevant question here is "which founding".

Hyrule seems to have been independently founded multiple times in its history and we ain't heard dick about King Rauru before; it's not like he was in Skyward Sword, y'know?

yeah rauru was a sage in oot, not a king

my take is and has always been that 'legend' is to be taken literally and the games are stories told across many generations with the specifics lost over time because otherwise there's a lot of poo poo in games that conflict with other games

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

X-O posted:

Also for you people wanting to stock up on arrows, find the closed stable near Gerudo. Tons of boxes filled with arrows to break.

Though I'm not sure how anyone could have a problem finding arrows in this game they are literally everywhere.

It's a constant tug of war between finding and spending. I've fluctuated between 100 and 200 arrows pretty much all game because I base my bow usage on how close I am to dipping below 100. I'm always looting crates and killing archers but shooting things is both essential and fun as heck. At 2.8 stamina wheels and it feels like I can bullet time shoot forever except it also feels wasteful when even a good 30 damage bow and a headshot is chip damage to a silver anything.

I think the main complaint is people want the fun of shooting things without the tedium of cracking open crates to stay topped off.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't forget if you luck into bows that shoot multiple arrows, it still only uses one arrow to do that like in BOTW.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

X-O posted:

I definitely did not do the Great Fairies in that order because the first one I did was the one with Violin player quest. Then the one with the guy stuck in a hole. I may have gone to the Gazette first but I don't think I did before the Violin player one.

Violin is always first as far as I know, but when I got there to start with they were just talking with each other about how they would only talk to someone from the gazette. I had to head to rito village and start that quest before I could do the first great fairy one.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Today was my Sunday basically and I played this until my hands hurt. I had to make sure to get up for a stretch and a drink of water every hour. Game good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A lot of the early stables and areas seemed to want to push me to gazette stable, figured it was important so headed there early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

oh sweet I got the gimp suit

mistermojo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2023