Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I picked up Vaporum since I like Legend of Grimrock and similar games and I think it's quite good, from what little I know. it was on sale the other day and it's like LoG but steampunk with some timing puzzles. IDK, I only cleared two maps and there's like 12 or something, so it's probably 10-15 hours which is good for the price.

has a half life reference

Picked this up since I certainly do love me some Grimrock. Kinda surprised this came out is 2017, as it just seems like a worse version of either of the Grimrock games that came out years earlier. Played until the first proper boss fight on lvl2, was kinda disapointed in the puzzling/worldbuilding/whatever... just seems like a combat grind with a pretty vanilla dude. It was all of five bucks, which makes me feel like a cheapskate for considering refunding it... but it's very meh?

edit: vvv I *have* played Guardians, actually! Shame Vaporum doesn't pick up any, guess I'll pass.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KNR
May 3, 2009
Vaporum is probably the most competent of the whole bunch of Grimrock clones that came out in the last decade. It's mostly fine, the problem is, it's a Grimrock 1 clone when 2 was so much better, and it's worse than even 1 in many aspects.

Play the much better Guardians and Final Adventure mods for Grimrock 2 instead: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1712363347.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Have been keeping Vaporum in wishlist for a while but never ended pulling the trigger. For some reason, I never managed to really enjoy single character blobbers, starting from the old Dungeon Hack which would otherwise have been my dream game back then. It's a bit silly as ultimately, whether it's one or several characters having actions shouldn't make a difference, since you don't even see them or move them around tactically. But I haven't yet found a single player one that provides the breadth of options you get from the usual party with melee/ranged/magic options all available at the same time. Anvil of Dawn was another old one that was pretty well received but I never managed to get too far before dropping it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oxxidation posted:

i assume hrot's overwhelmingly positive rating is mainly due to early access goodwill because i just do not see the appeal there

This is me with pretty much any of the boomer shooters trying to emulate Quake 1.

It's so much god damned brown and grey with ugly polygonal blobs sort of resembling weapons/enemies, why would you want to go back to that?

Dusk is kind of fun but that's mostly due to its pretty good gunplay than its aesthetics for me, granted I haven't beaten it yet cause I can't stand the look of it for long periods.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deakul posted:

This is me with pretty much any of the boomer shooters trying to emulate Quake 1.

It's so much god damned brown and grey with ugly polygonal blobs sort of resembling weapons/enemies, why would you want to go back to that?

Dusk is kind of fun but that's mostly due to its pretty good gunplay than its aesthetics for me, granted I haven't beaten it yet cause I can't stand the look of it for long periods.

play Amid Evil

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

play Amid Evil

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
been disappointed by a couple critically acclaimed games lately:

Rollerdrome has pretty fun set of core mechanics that combine Tony Hawk-style extreme sports with Max Payne-esque bullet-time shooting, and with great art direction to boot. unfortunately, the actual game that Roll7 built around all that is rather lacking; it fails to significantly iterate or expand on its core mechanics much beyond the first few stages, even with a few new weapons, and levels are too long, with their repetitive level and encounter design getting stale awfully fast. I also found the most basic enemies to be the most fun to kill, which is kind of a problem for a shooter, and the game only intermittently lands the feeling of flow that should be so essential to such a combo- and score-driven game. Maybe it’s just that I suck at it, but it’s ultimately not for me; still worth checking out just to play around with the mechanics for a few stages, but I’d only recommend it on sale.

Killer7: I'm sorry, everyone, I really tried to get into this one, but I just couldn't get past the bizarre control scheme, poorly explained mechanics, questionable checkpointing, and infrequent save points. The art direction and weird atmosphere are great and this would be a much better game with some QOL tweaks and accessibility settings, but as is, I'd much rather watch a playthrough or a YouTube analysis video than attempt to struggle through this again.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hwurmp posted:

play Amid Evil

Oh hell yeah brother I have, I wish more of these new old school shooters adopted batshit colorful design philosophies.(just maybe not to the extent of Cruelty Squad :barf: )

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selaco's pretty colorful too, although not out yet

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Oxxidation posted:

i assume hrot's overwhelmingly positive rating is mainly due to early access goodwill because i just do not see the appeal there

HROT feels like I remember games feeling like in the early 00's, with all the weird movement and its strange setting. It's got its sticking points, like how you get so much shotgun ammo it's your only viable workhorse weapon or how limited armor pickups are or how it feels like a third of the secrets are behind completely unmarked walls but even so it is, in a technical sense, a perfectly fine game.

I like it because of the brown and how almost alien it is to me, a child from the 90's USA.

Deakul posted:

Dusk is getting a glowup patch Eventuallytm because, as the dev says, every single model and texture is a placeholder made by an incompetent art hack (him). Dusk wasn't supposed to be ugly and the game was absolutely not supposed to ship with a cock n' balls on your crossbow but it did just fine with them!

Deakul posted:

Oh hell yeah brother I have, I wish more of these new old school shooters adopted batshit colorful design philosophies.(just maybe not to the extent of Cruelty Squad :barf: )

I want another Cruelty Squad and another game with Cruelty Squad's visual design properties, tbh.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Selaco's pretty colorful too, although not out yet

Selaco is the FEAR-like I've been waiting for.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Dusk is getting a glowup patch Eventuallytm because, as the dev says, every single model and texture is a placeholder made by an incompetent art hack (him). Dusk wasn't supposed to be ugly and the game was absolutely not supposed to ship with a cock n' balls on your crossbow but it did just fine with them!

wtf dusk looks great. i hope after the patch we can still play with the original graphics

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There is nothing more pure than Programmer Art, imho.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Prodeus is another colorful and visually pleasing boomer shooter. Trailers don't quite do it justice, it's a great modernization of oldschool art styles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

deep dish peat moss posted:

Prodeus is another colorful and visually pleasing boomer shooter. Trailers don't quite do it justice, it's a great modernization of oldschool art styles.

Tbh I think the assets they showed were good enough that I wish they hadn't decided, "let's stick a 90s filter on it" and made it all pixely. I play with 3D monsters, wish I could play with 3D guns.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Barry Convex posted:

been disappointed by a couple critically acclaimed games lately:

Rollerdrome has pretty fun set of core mechanics that combine Tony Hawk-style extreme sports with Max Payne-esque bullet-time shooting, and with great art direction to boot. unfortunately, the actual game that Roll7 built around all that is rather lacking; it fails to significantly iterate or expand on its core mechanics much beyond the first few stages, even with a few new weapons, and levels are too long, with their repetitive level and encounter design getting stale awfully fast. I also found the most basic enemies to be the most fun to kill, which is kind of a problem for a shooter, and the game only intermittently lands the feeling of flow that should be so essential to such a combo- and score-driven game. Maybe it’s just that I suck at it, but it’s ultimately not for me; still worth checking out just to play around with the mechanics for a few stages, but I’d only recommend it on sale.

Killer7: I'm sorry, everyone, I really tried to get into this one, but I just couldn't get past the bizarre control scheme, poorly explained mechanics, questionable checkpointing, and infrequent save points. The art direction and weird atmosphere are great and this would be a much better game with some QOL tweaks and accessibility settings, but as is, I'd much rather watch a playthrough or a YouTube analysis video than attempt to struggle through this again.

Curious to check out Rollerdrome: I have heard some people be similarly down on it from a lack of variety and the flow being at odds with itself due to the juxtaposition of rollerblading and shooting, so I think you're not crazy, but then again the vast majority does seem to love it as well. It helps that I got it from Humble Monthly so I may as well give it a go eventually.

I was worried about the exact same thing with Killer7 and will most likely only appreciate it from a distance as well: it goes on sale for 5 bux here and there so it has been tempting to give it a whirl since it's heralded so much, but when I peeked at gameplay recordings it just seemed to be so much tedious walking around in bland environments and listening to NPCs talk about their kooky stuff. To be honest, I'm worried it's just one of those things that seems cool due to its stylish presentation and philosophical/edgy/deep/cryptic conversations but is just juvenile pretentious posturing and isn't actually that fun or engaging as a game, but perhaps only as a movie (I'd like to be proven wrong, though).

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 22, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Killer7 is the kind of game like Deadly Premonition that I absolutely loved watching someone else play through but I would never actually want to play it myself.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a weirdo who liked Killer7's gameplay way back when it first came out, and even I've indefinitely stalled on ever playing it again myself.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Weedle posted:

wtf dusk looks great. i hope after the patch we can still play with the original graphics
It's not a patch so much as it is an official mod that'll be released alongside the full mod SDK, whenever that lands, as a demonstration of model replacement/what Dusk would look like with slightly less "macaroni art" graphics.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I want another Cruelty Squad and another game with Cruelty Squad's visual design properties, tbh.
The author is working on a new game with a similarly... eccentric... art style, although what that game is changes seemingly by the hour. It started as a 2D bullet hell shmup, then became a 3D flight simulator and currently it's a mech game where you can get out of the mech and have Morrowind-style conversations with NPCs.

https://twitter.com/villecallio/status/1646476122664624130
https://twitter.com/villecallio/status/1648603580318863360

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So these games look like dogshit on purpose

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
its one of those things where ugliness becomes sublime

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It also help hide the fact that mechanically the games aren't that deep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like playing a deep fried meme. Seems like it would appeal to the degenerate gamer, he of rom hacks and untranslated japanese dating sims.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

It also help hide the fact that mechanically the games aren't that deep.
I don't recall anyone ever saying Cruelty Squad was shallow

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im trying to imagine Cruelty Squad with a normal art style and its making me sick

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

I don't recall anyone ever saying Cruelty Squad was shallow

I'd be happy to be the first then.

It's not bad but it is what it is and once you get acclimated to the visuals it's one of those sim games where you have 20 ways to accomplish something that isn't really that hard. That's not a bad thing in essence, it's good to be able to run missions in new ways when you replay them, but it never took me in like it did for seemingly a lot of people. I've played too many horror games to go "oh man using your guts as a grappling hook that's siiiiick".

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Cruelty Squad has deep gameplay beneath its ugliness, and I eventually appreciated its style. HROT wears its browness proudly and delivers on the Quake 1 style shooting (and Czech memes that fly completely over my head). But Killer 7 is all style and no substance. It feels like the hallucinogenic presentation was used to hide an unfinished game. I like Suda 51's style, but I feel like for most of his games it's better to watch them than play them.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
HROT is so good at aping Quake's palette I assumed it was a Quake mod the first time I saw the screenshots

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cruelty Squad but it's anime

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I will never complain about a shotgun being the workhorse

All good FPS games boil down into me figuring out how to get within shotgun range

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Absolutely ready to play whatever this is when it comes out. Cruelty Squad is definitely a game I wish I could experience for the first time again.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Been playing Humanity a bit and imo the controls are dogshit. I would love this with a free camera and placing commands with the mouse, as it is it's a chore to execute anything and I constantly miss jumps because it's hard to judge where the stupid dog is in 3D space.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

zoux posted:

So these games look like dogshit on purpose

more or less, though it's not just because it's funny. it's a deliberate decision that works extremely well both for its style of gameplay and for the diagetic experience of immersing yourself in, and trying to comprehend and parse, the world it's trying to create. man made horrors and hilarity in equal measure.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd be happy to be the first then.

It's not bad but it is what it is and once you get acclimated to the visuals it's one of those sim games where you have 20 ways to accomplish something that isn't really that hard. That's not a bad thing in essence, it's good to be able to run missions in new ways when you replay them, but it never took me in like it did for seemingly a lot of people. I've played too many horror games to go "oh man using your guts as a grappling hook that's siiiiick".

lol

yea if u dont like imm-sims u wont like this imm-sim... mind blown

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fuligin posted:

lol

yea if u dont like imm-sims u wont like this imm-sim... mind blown

I like immersive sims. This is just a very shallow one once you strip away the visuals. Paint the walls all bright orange and it's pretty clear that the levels are Deus Ex Human Revolution levels of "do you go in the front door or the air vent, oh man you went through the window badass" most of the time.

There just isn't much to it. The neighborhood level was what hit this home for me because I went to several of the non target locations to try and see what I could find and what I found was nothing, just people jealously guarding technicolor empty rooms. I wouldn't even call it an immersive sim because there is no feeling that anyone is even conscious of their existence other than the player. Maybe I'm expecting more out of it than a shooter with a biotech layer on it but idk.

VVV Not really, most of them try to at least make the world feel alive somewhat, even if its just throwing some personal features around or changing the way someone reacts to your actions. Cruelty Squad has the immersive sim quality of something like Duke Nukem where there's some random items you can fiddle with but besides that it's either shooters or runners populated around a mostly empty box.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 22, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
all immsims have that problem if you're reductive enough

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh Ghostlore came out! A really interesting ARPG taking a lot of inspiration from Chinese and Malay folklore. It's a bit rough about the edges but it's different, and the glyph grid where you fit different shapes in to equip bonuses is fun. It might still be on gamepass, too.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

time to reinstall cruelty squad and see if i was just playing through vomit colored glasses

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's not possible to start with the vomit glasses upgrade unless you edit your save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
idk i mean yeah it's not really a """deep""" game whatever that means, it's straight-forward, you're just trying to kill your target(s) and escape. the breadth and depth of the game comes from the level design and the way your bio-mods and weapons interact with enemies and the world around you. it's not a game about anything else than that though there's a lot more to it if you care to look. but it's not going to be found in houses in the neighborhood level or any other very obvious place. but ultimately the game is just a rock solid tactical shooter FPS/kinda imm-sim game about assassinating a bunch of freaks who all live in a deeply strange place.

if you quit at the neighborhood level you missed out. in fact i would say 'do you go through the front door or the vent' is the exact opposite of what the game does. it knows you know it's a game and it starts messing with your expectations. it won't tell you this though. there's no NPC who's gonna radio in and tell you 'this vent that seemed like a good option for a stealth kill is full of toxic rats that take half your health when they bite you!!! what!!!!!'

CuddleCryptid posted:

VVV Not really, most of them try to at least make the world feel alive somewhat, even if its just throwing some personal features around or changing the way someone reacts to your actions. Cruelty Squad has the immersive sim quality of something like Duke Nukem where there's some random items you can fiddle with but besides that it's either shooters or runners populated around a mostly empty box.

it's deliberate and it's perfect for what the game is trying to be. you might not like it. but this is what peak divinely ordained hellworld capitalism looks like.