Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Animal posted:

From Computer Orbit it was $266 with shipping via UPS
From Overclockers UK it was $301 with shipping via DHL. I cancelled the other and they are refunding me $286, because of arbitrage?

So yeah, not cheap. But if this is gonna be anything like the NCASE M1 was for me, it'll last me 8 years or longer.

"Minimalist aluminum box" is a style that never really goes out, and boutique cases are built well enough that the service life limit comes down to whether the case layout still does what you want in 5+ years, rather than the case itself looking dated or getting dirty or some other combination of form factors (:dadjoke:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Warmachine posted:

"Minimalist aluminum box" is a style that never really goes out, and boutique cases are built well enough that the service life limit comes down to whether the case layout still does what you want in 5+ years, rather than the case itself looking dated or getting dirty or some other combination of form factors (:dadjoke:)

Exactly.

In other news, I received a 1x12w to 3x PCI-E converter cable from ModDIY and its fantastic. It has a 90 degree angle and I can neatly fit the 4090 FE card inside my temporary NR200. This case will later serve for my Plex server when I receive the Dan.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Part of me is wanting to buy a 13600k and a cheap z690 ITX board that uses ddr4 and is horrible for over clocking and get my build back in the my M1. The other part of me knows it’s basically marginal improvement over a 10700k, but I’d be able to get a gen4 SSD, which is again marginal improvement for gaming loads.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Unless things have changed the itx z690 boards had terrible options and were allover the place with features.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're not overclocking you can get a b760 board instead, which is what I did. Considerably cheaper than z790.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It looks like the B760's in ITX are both more expensive and worse than the Asrock Z690 itx which has lovely VRMs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Case designed around the shape of your components, so very hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMkQPIji08E

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ijyt posted:

The only issue i see is that the GPU doesn't have much space to exhaust, and the exhaust is does have is angling back up towards the fans where its gonna get recirculated. Otherwise I bet it is cooler than nearly any other build you see. It's basically an open air bench afterall. Fresh air is king.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ijyt posted:

This channel recently popped up in my recommendations a few weeks ago and it's great. All the neat ITX cases are cool, but it's really just a nice chill build channel in general. Their output looks to be pretty slow though, lol.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ijyt posted:

Okay, that GPU fitment is incredibly satisfying.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Fan grills for the cpu stuck inside but no fan grills for the GPU exposed :(

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The SFF and Mini-ITX thread: 3D printing is one hell of a drug

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ijyt posted:

This is absolutely loving amazing. Take my money.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

It looks like the B760's in ITX are both more expensive and worse than the Asrock Z690 itx which has lovely VRMs.
I got Gigabyte's B760I Aorus Pro ITX mobo for my build and it's been solid so far, knock on wood. Paid a tad over €200.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

I got Gigabyte's B760I Aorus Pro ITX mobo for my build and it's been solid so far, knock on wood. Paid a tad over €200.

Ya, the Asus Z690 is $130. Apparently a bunch of B760s got rid of rear USB C and downgraded from intel to realtek LAN.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fractal made a sandwich style ITX case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgZbz1wi33E

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

teagone posted:

Fractal made a sandwich style ITX case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgZbz1wi33E

I wonder what’s the biggest CPU cooler you can fit in there along with a 4090 FE

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Animal posted:

I wonder what’s the biggest CPU cooler you can fit in there along with a 4090 FE
It's 48mm in Max GPU config and 77mm in Max CPU config, according to this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From the product page:

quote:

GPU max width (if GPU height is lower than 131 mm)
72 mm (Configured for Max GPU) / 43 mm (Configured for Max CPU-Cooler)

GPU max width (if GPU height 131-145mm)
62 mm (Configured for Max GPU) / 33 mm (Configured for Max CPU-Cooler)

GPU max height
145 mm (Configured for Max GPU) / 131 mm (Configured for Max CPU-Cooler)

*CPU cooler max height
48 mm (Configured for Max GPU) / 77mm (Configured for Max CPU-Cooler)

You can slide the spine into any position between the two maxes listed here, and the relationship between gpu and cpu clearance is 1:1. So you can just do simple addition/subtraction to figure out any other potential configuration.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

They should make a little page where you get a slider and you get some examples what fits in there

But yeah I was just going to post this. It looks amazing aesthetically, looks good to work in, seems to have plenty of air, and doesn't even cost that much for something that you buy once a decade. What do you guys think?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

If anyone is interested, got my xproto build done, probably the most difficult PC build I have ever completed. Was fun but challenging, mostly due to tight spaces and everything having to be installed/connected in a rather specific order. Had a few occasions where I had to disassemble a good amount of the build to move a wire or change a small thing. Has a different gfx card in it now as the gigabyte one was defective and have an asus one now, but pretty minor.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lord Stimperor posted:

They should make a little page where you get a slider and you get some examples what fits in there

But yeah I was just going to post this. It looks amazing aesthetically, looks good to work in, seems to have plenty of air, and doesn't even cost that much for something that you buy once a decade. What do you guys think?

it's basically a slightly larger formd t1 from the cpu/gpu trade off

formd t1: 13.5 x 22 x 33.5 (cm), 9.95L
fractal terra: 343 x 153 x 218 mm, 10.4L

e: the formd t1 has more configurations, but the psu mount on the terra looks legit. the main trade off seems to be fan/radiator support and an extra bit of volume, but you also get a front panel with a usb a and c port and presumably instructions in a single place instead of 5 reddit posts and an imgur gallery that can disappear at any moment.

e2:

Animal posted:

noctua l9i/a with a 25mm fan is 48mm :v:

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 1, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rakeris posted:

If anyone is interested, got my xproto build done, probably the most difficult PC build I have ever completed. Was fun but challenging, mostly due to tight spaces and everything having to be installed/connected in a rather specific order. Had a few occasions where I had to disassemble a good amount of the build to move a wire or change a small thing. Has a different gfx card in it now as the gigabyte one was defective and have an asus one now, but pretty minor.

very nice! the white is striking and your cable management is a lot better than mine. i still love mine.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rakeris posted:

This is neat. I’d love something like this if I didn’t have toddlers.

Just finished moving my PC to the new Dan C4 SFX. It was a lot of fun to build it, it’s very well thought out with ease of build clearly an important goal. Build quality is much better than the NCASE M1.

But to be honest, after all is said and done, it’s not that much better or smaller than an NR200. My wife certainly can’t tell that the PC has changed. So I wouldn’t divert money towards this case that could be used for better components and an NR200, unless you are a SFF geek like me who has been building PC’s for 25 years. I really appreciate good design.

The only small gripe I can think of is that 240 AIO’s are an afterthought. It’s really designed with 280 in mind. But I’m just reusing this cooler until I can get a Noctua NH-D12L

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 1, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I am weirdly enchanted by the Fractal Terra and am heavily considering building a new PC in it to replace my 8 year old gaming PC. I've also been assuming for a while that my next computer would have a 7800X3D and whatever 7700/7800/whatever midrange GPU AMD manages to put out eventually. Is this a sane idea, or am I inviting horrible temperatures and/or performance? Can the X3D work well with a low-profile cooler or is that too much of a compromise?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 3, 2023

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’m cursed with PCIE riser cables. As cool as they all look. I say stick with the NR200P at a cheaper price. Even the 4090s still can’t drive 144 4k games that well so there’s no rush tbh.

I wish I could go back to dual 1440

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

unimportantguy posted:

I am weirdly enchanted by the Fractal Terra and am heavily considering building a new PC in it to replace my 8 year old gaming PC. I've also been assuming for a while that my next computer would have a 7800X3D and whatever 7700/7800/whatever midrange GPU AMD manages to put out eventually. Is this a sane idea, or am I inviting horrible temperatures and/or performance? Can the X3D work well with a low-profile cooler or is that too much of a compromise?
The main issue in these sandwich style ITX shoeboxes is usually CPU cooling, and noise. If the computer is doing work 24/7 and sitting next to you on your desk, even the best 120 mm fans will be annoying - there's no soundproofing and you'll have smaller CPU fans working harder. In games you're more likely to be running in the 50-70% RPM range though and with just a bit of distance that might be okay. Meanwhile the GPU is primarily a compatibility issue, but you have to be okay with limited OC here, too.

The X3D CPUs don't use that much power but the cache stack (especially on the single chiplet 6 or 8 core CPUs) adds to heat density issues which will be worse with a low profile cooler. You will generally have to accept higher temps, and mess with curve optimizer and power limits if the heat or noise gets too high. If you absolutely need the last % of performance you definitely want a bigger case. In games it's no big deal, you sacrifice like 5% performance with sensible power limits. But if you're rendering or doing anything else asking for full performance for as long as possible, the hit will be significant. I run a 5800X3D in a Dan A4, with my settings it can boost up to max clocks for a few seconds and that's usually all games are asking for. Stuff like Cinebench will quickly make all cores/threads fall back to the base clocks instead, and stay there for the duration (this also runs the 92 mm CPU fan at 100%, which is pretty bad).

The Terra allows you to use up to 77 mm height for a CPU cooler which will fit the better top-down air coolers (Black Ridge with 120 x 25 mm fan on top, Noctua NH-L12S, Big Shuriken 3 etc.), but for their maximum performance you're still limited to 2 or 2.2 slot GPUs. This is still the better compromise than scaling down the CPU side to even lower profile coolers, but in my experience (with the Dan A4 and cards in the RDNA 2/RTX 2000/RTX 3000 generations) it opts you out of some desirable medium tier "OC" models.

Overall, people have been building flagship CPUs + RTX 3000/4000 FEs in the Dan A4 just fine(TM) so I'm going to assume doing a bit less in a slightly bigger/more flexible Fractal Terra will work okay, but consider your use case and your tolerance for fan noise.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 3, 2023

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

The case can fit a TR AXP120-x67 and Noctua L12S and those should have no problem cooling a slightly tuned 7800X3D but then you're limited to a 2.5 slot GPU. If you want to stuff a 3 slot GPU in there, then you're down do something like the Alpenfohn Black Ridge which is workable for gaming but will struggle with all core loads.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

I am weirdly enchanted by the Fractal Terra and am heavily considering building a new PC in it to replace my 8 year old gaming PC.

I was salivating at the sight of the terra then realized other sff cases have the same volume and size and can accommodate a 120/240mm radiator. I hope they do a revision or updated model because components these days are a bit too spicy.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks for the responses! My primary use case is usually gaming with some occasional light video capture/editing on the side. Sometimes I fiddle with virtual machines for fun. I'm reasonably fan-noise tolerant but would prefer not to have a whole-rear end wind tunnel going on because I don't live alone.

For context, I've been considering an SFF build for a while in part because my living space is not very large, and so I don't have a lot of room for my PC. My current PC, which I built in a Fractal Node 804 when I lived in a larger place, is just way too big for this space, and basically the only place I can put it is underneath my desk, which means I have no space for my legs.

Based on responses in this thread, I'm wondering if it wouldn't end up better to go with less CPU to generate less heat. In this use case with an eye towards this size of build, would it make more sense to go with something like a 7700X (or even 7600x), forgoing the extra cache for lower thermals?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 4, 2023

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Hey guys would you got for air cooler like the fuma2 nr200p or a CPU AIO in terms of noise?

Good tip about increased temps and noise for full CPU load. Have you guys tried under mounting the case? It helps a little bit for acoustics but I’m not sure if it’s too restrictive for the vents and all

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

Based on responses in this thread, I'm wondering if it wouldn't end up better to go with less CPU to generate less heat. In this use case with an eye towards this size of build, would it make more sense to go with something like a 7700X (or even 7600x), forgoing the extra cache for lower thermals?

What's your gpu tho? Since the terra seems to dictate the size of CPU cooler by the size of your GPU. I don't think there are any 2 slot GPUs this generation (except for those 4060s )

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

The current hope is that there will be a 2-slot 7700/whatever AMD comes up with that is reasonably competitive with the 2-slot 4070s. I'm on Linux so I'd prefer to buy an AMD GPU. (I suppose could buy an RX 6700XT as a for-now stopgap if it came to that.)

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 4, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

orcane posted:

The main issue in these sandwich style ITX shoeboxes is usually CPU cooling, and noise. If the computer is doing work 24/7 and sitting next to you on your desk, even the best 120 mm fans will be annoying - there's no soundproofing and you'll have smaller CPU fans working harder. In games you're more likely to be running in the 50-70% RPM range though and with just a bit of distance that might be okay. Meanwhile the GPU is primarily a compatibility issue, but you have to be okay with limited OC here, too.

The X3D CPUs don't use that much power but the cache stack (especially on the single chiplet 6 or 8 core CPUs) adds to heat density issues which will be worse with a low profile cooler. You will generally have to accept higher temps, and mess with curve optimizer and power limits if the heat or noise gets too high. If you absolutely need the last % of performance you definitely want a bigger case. In games it's no big deal, you sacrifice like 5% performance with sensible power limits. But if you're rendering or doing anything else asking for full performance for as long as possible, the hit will be significant. I run a 5800X3D in a Dan A4, with my settings it can boost up to max clocks for a few seconds and that's usually all games are asking for. Stuff like Cinebench will quickly make all cores/threads fall back to the base clocks instead, and stay there for the duration (this also runs the 92 mm CPU fan at 100%, which is pretty bad).

The Terra allows you to use up to 77 mm height for a CPU cooler which will fit the better top-down air coolers (Black Ridge with 120 x 25 mm fan on top, Noctua NH-L12S, Big Shuriken 3 etc.), but for their maximum performance you're still limited to 2 or 2.2 slot GPUs. This is still the better compromise than scaling down the CPU side to even lower profile coolers, but in my experience (with the Dan A4 and cards in the RDNA 2/RTX 2000/RTX 3000 generations) it opts you out of some desirable medium tier "OC" models.

Overall, people have been building flagship CPUs + RTX 3000/4000 FEs in the Dan A4 just fine(TM) so I'm going to assume doing a bit less in a slightly bigger/more flexible Fractal Terra will work okay, but consider your use case and your tolerance for fan noise.

The 7800X3D generally runs a decent bit cooler than the 5800X3D, so it should be fine, I think.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

What's your gpu tho? Since the terra seems to dictate the size of CPU cooler by the size of your GPU. I don't think there are any 2 slot GPUs this generation (except for those 4060s )
There are a few 2-slot RTX 4070 cards, and RDNA2 up to the RX 6700XT also had a bunch. I'd expect it to be limited, but not impossible, to find midrange GPUs if you're trying to maximize CPU cooling in that case (the 7700X also uses more power than the 7800X3D and for a mostly gaming use case, the latter is seriously better).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I really want a Fractal Terra, but I’m concerned about having to drop to a lower end CPU cooler again. When I moved from a Thermaltake Core V1 to a Cooler Master NR200P I was able to upgrade from a Noctua NH-U9S to the NH-D12L. It looks like the Terra, with a Triple-Slot GPU, would only be able to handle something like an NH-L9x, which wouldn’t be able to handle my 5900X with its current OC settings due to thermals. :negative:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

With an exactly triple-slot GPU, or 60mm of thickness, the cpu cooler clearance is 55mm, which seems to be in an awkward middle ground. The L9 is 37mm tall, and the next step up for most coolers i'm seeing is somewhere in the 60s. At 53mm, the Thermalright AXP90 X53 could be an option though. But if your gpu thickness is greater than 3 slots by even a little, you're pretty much in L9-only territory.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I really want a Fractal Terra, but I’m concerned about having to drop to a lower end CPU cooler again. When I moved from a Thermaltake Core V1 to a Cooler Master NR200P I was able to upgrade from a Noctua NH-U9S to the NH-D12L. It looks like the Terra, with a Triple-Slot GPU, would only be able to handle something like an NH-L9x, which wouldn’t be able to handle my 5900X with its current OC settings due to thermals. :negative:

That’s the problem with those sandwich layouts. It’s why I chose the Dan C4, I didn’t wanna compromise on CPU cooling.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah if your plan is using modern CPUs unlimited or even overclocked, abandon the idea of getting a sandwich case. Coolers in the range of a Noctua L12S are decent but still not amazing at cooling those CPUs (definitely weaker than the D12L) and it will limit you to 2-slot cards again. Using it as a "Dan A4 with better CPU cooling" is a viable option but that doesn't help if you already have a 2.5+ slot GPU you want to stick in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Am I insane, is this just a UK thing, or are there like, no decent ITX boards for AM5? One of the largest retailers in the UK has just this: