Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Wouldn’t it be hosed up if Cal has already killed the Inquisitor that murdered Bode’s wife? Cal also would have gladly gone on a years long Inquisitor hunt with Bode if he had just said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If it were up to me, I'd set the next game after the Battle of Endor. Stick Cal and his buddies on Tanalorr long enough that they don't even know the Empire is gone. The character's adapting to a nascent post-Imperial galaxy is a more interesting premise than another Jedi runs away from Vader.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

If it were up to me, I'd set the next game after the Battle of Endor. Stick Cal and his buddies on Tanalorr long enough that they don't even know the Empire is gone. The character's adapting to a nascent post-Imperial galaxy is a more interesting premise than another Jedi runs away from Vader.

The main issue with this is that the post-RotJ Star Wars canon kind of sucks rear end now. You'd have to push forward the timeline until after the sequels, because the post-RotJ government apparently just kind of sucked and didn't represent any sort of real stable post-Empire status quo.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sylphosaurus posted:

Luke being a giant weirdo uncle was great IMHO, it´s just a shame about the rest of the movie.

I agree about Luke; I will say turning a capital ship into an anti-fascist railgun is about the dopest way to go out imo

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'd like to see stuff set in the Old Republic where Jedi and Sith were at war and they don't need to worry about canon if it's set so long ago in the past.

Regarding the sequel trilogy and the lack of planning, the warning signs were there quite early on. Several scripts and writers employed, coupled with Abram's ludicrous mystery box bullshit, and it's not surprising it was so disjointed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The main issue with this is that the post-RotJ Star Wars canon kind of sucks rear end now. You'd have to push forward the timeline until after the sequels, because the post-RotJ government apparently just kind of sucked and didn't represent any sort of real stable post-Empire status quo.

That's my point, though, since that can be a story about Cal trying to figure out wtf to do when the Empire is gone, but things aren't markedly better. A former resistance fighter in a world that doesn't need him anymore. That's more interesting to me because it's an open-ended question, whereas anything they do with him during the Imperial era narrows to a few pretty well-worn paths.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Cal is several years older than Luke, so I don't know how well setting things after the sequel trilogy would work. He'd already be an old man. Kata on the other hand would be in her 30s roughly?

My money is on the 3rd game being in the gap between original trilogy and sequels. Any post-sequels game would be a new series with a new protagonist.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Old Man Cal would be rad as gently caress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

That's my point, though, since that can be a story about Cal trying to figure out wtf to do when the Empire is gone, but things aren't markedly better. A former resistance fighter in a world that doesn't need him anymore. That's more interesting to me because it's an open-ended question, whereas anything they do with him during the Imperial era narrows to a few pretty well-worn paths.

It's hard to really commit to the "world (well, galaxy) that doesn't need him anymore" idea when the audience has knowledge that the post-Empire status quo is extremely short-lived, though. Like, Cal wouldn't know that, but it would still feel a little goofy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wouldn’t it be hosed up if Cal has already killed the Inquisitor that murdered Bode’s wife? Cal also would have gladly gone on a years long Inquisitor hunt with Bode if he had just said it.

Is there anything textual to suggest he's particularly after revenge?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I mentioned this earlier, but since were talking post-campaign world stuff.

If you do enough planet hopping and riding around Jedha with Merrin, there is talk of salvaging tech from the moon base, especially the maintenance droids, gathering up the Anchorites are relocating them to Tanallor came up at least 4 times, and Merrin already has a plan to construct more compasses and reconnect with the Hidden Path. Greez’s last cockpit dialogue is saying that he has a good feeling about Tanallor.

Will they adhere to any of that? Who the gently caress knows, but it lets me know the writers think about this poo poo, too. I just want Tanallor to be the Jedi Academy I was promised in the goddam 90s and Kata be the new Mara Jade. It’s right there, Disney.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there anything textual to suggest he's particularly after revenge?

The post campaign Force Echo is Bode’s ISB apartment is a conversation of him with the facility commander. Getting the name of the Inquisitor that killed his wife was part of the ‘deal’.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Not having post-game Force echoes appear on the map even if you have the upgrade that makes Force echoes appear on the map is, I feel, something of a dick move.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MMAgCh posted:

Not having post-game Force echoes appear on the map even if you have the upgrade that makes Force echoes appear on the map is, I feel, something of a dick move.

Yeah; I actually appreciate how much stuff they do put on the map. It's nice having easy visual indicators for the various "barriers" I still haven't "unlocked." I definitely wouldn't have bothered doing as much Koboh (etc) exploration as I have if not for those. But I've just resigned myself to permanently missing anything in areas that I've already visited (that doesn't show up on the map, anyway).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

WELL WHY DIDN'T HE SIMPLY DISARM RICK THE DOOR TECHNICIAN

(this basically just comes down to selective use of the force as a disarming tool only in cutscenes, since there's also nothing really stopping him from pulling away random stormtrooper's blasters)

Because you can just walk past him.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’m a glutton for punishment and a token horder, so I got the tie-in novel Battle Scars audio book on Audible and about an hour into it.

It’s middlin to ok for a Star Wars novel. Definitely written for an 8th grade reading level. There’s a ton of references to fire and even Cal’s hair as fire, which backs up my argument, which automatically gets 5 stars on Amazon. Also…Merrin is into choking other women? I shall read on! The Courtship of Princess Leia, the first appearance of the Nightsisters, was also inexplicably horny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Because you can just walk past him.

Oh no...what have I done

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd like to see stuff set in the Old Republic where Jedi and Sith were at war and they don't need to worry about canon if it's set so long ago in the past.

Regarding the sequel trilogy and the lack of planning, the warning signs were there quite early on. Several scripts and writers employed, coupled with Abram's ludicrous mystery box bullshit, and it's not surprising it was so disjointed.

I was going to say that anything dealing with the Old Republic would have to handle the dumb stuff out of the MMO, but according to Wookiepedia that's not canon despite it still running.

Do Luke or Leia have any kids in the new timeline? Maybe Cade Skywalker can be descended from Rey so all the stupid stuff from Legacy can still happen.

edit: Oh wait right Kylo Ren. Oh well. Make Cade the great grandkid of Rey and Kylo's force baby or something.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 23, 2023

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I shall read on! The Courtship of Princess Leia, the first appearance of the Nightsisters, was also inexplicably horny.

Wait really? It’s been forever since I read that and…I don’t remember that

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

1st AD posted:

Wait really? It’s been forever since I read that and…I don’t remember that

Oh, boy! There’s this great scene of Han having to wrestle all day with this giant Dathomir worm that they used as rancor harness. I forget the specifics of the narrative, but the worm is notoriously hard to pull completely from the ground and Han does it to prove he’s a man or some poo poo. Basically, Han gets shirtless and sweaty and spends the better part of the day wrestling a penis. It’s great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have the option to go to Tanalorr now and Caij is stonewalling me again :psyduck: I still have 6 or 7 bounty hunters left.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Granted it’s been about 30 years since I read that, but all I remember is Han being irrationally jealous and Leia being uncharacteristically not into Han. I don’t remember the Nightsisters being in it at all, all I remember is this is where Tenel Ka’s parents met and hooked up.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, Han wrestled a giant penis because he was jealous and trying to show up the prince. The Nightsisters were the evil rancor riders. Early EU was wacky as gently caress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

1st AD posted:

Granted it’s been about 30 years since I read that, but all I remember is Han being irrationally jealous and Leia being uncharacteristically not into Han. I don’t remember the Nightsisters being in it at all, all I remember is this is where Tenel Ka’s parents met and hooked up.

Tenel Ka! I remember Tenel Ka! I read the books where Jacen/Jaina are children/teens with Tenel Ka. All I remember is 1. she got her arm cut off and 2. she had some sort of romance with Jacen.

edit: Also there was a Wookiee in their "party" named Lowbacca

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think I actually read a lot of the EU books before ever seeing Star Wars on VHS. My local library was the source of my Star Wars fandom before the Special Editions came out in theatres.

I especially remember those young Jedi books, I remember not really liking the Thrawn books (I only read 2 and 3) or the Courtship of Princess Leia, but was all into the young Jedi stuff with Jacen and Jaina and Ben.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just beat the game. I thought it was pretty great, even if the combat annoyed me sometimes*. I thought the plot in particularly was particularly compelling and that this game series is basically a high-light of contemporary Star Wars media.

I like how the game never really resolved Cal's flirtations with the dark side. He comes back from it, but up until the very end of the game he still has "rage out with the dark side" as Special attack. I think Bode also worked very well as a villain. His actions in the end make sense to me in the sense that he's already done such awful poo poo that he basically "has" to stick to his current course. I also like how they had Cal finish him off in a situation where it was entirely his choice and not some moment of desperation. A less interesting alternative would be if Cal just instantly killed him with a blaster shot after Bode attacked, but instead he hits him with one round and then just finishes the job, even though he could have incapacitated him at that point (which was definitely the right decision since Bode clearly would have never surrendered, but it's still more interesting that way).

* I felt like a lot of the time I needed to resort to just hoping I could heal through the stuff I couldn't counter/dodge. In the final battle, I never did figure out how to reliably dodge his ranged/AoE attacks during the final phase. The large-scale AoE I never once dodged successfully, and the ranged would frequently have weird timing where I couldn't target him and dodge in time (since side-stepping the attack required being locked onto him). This same issue applied to a variety of encounters.

edit: Btw, a question I was wondering about during an earlier part of the late-game - What happens if you play perfectly in the first Bode fight? You obviously have to lose, but it seemed plausible to avoid all his attacks (I just wasn't good enough to do so indefinitely). I'm guessing it just does the cutscene anyway?

Skippy McPants posted:

End game spoiler, since I can't recall if you finished the game: Bode was still deluding himself right up til that deer-in-the-headlights expression he made a split second before Cal's first blaster shot hit him.

I liked this element. It seems clear that Bode didn't truly comprehend how terrible the thing he did was. When you meet him in the imperial base, he seems to genuinely think that Cal might accept his reasoning. I think by the time you encounter him again on Tanalorr he does have a better idea of the fact that any sort of reconciliation is impossible, though (but is also just kind of losing his poo poo in general, likely due to the cognitive dissonance from sort of understanding what he did while also being too deep to even consider changing course).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 23, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: the fight you have to lose

No doubt SunhilLegend or some other magician will prove me wrong but I really don’t think anyone can grind out a win. You’ve got no BD so no stims, and the opponent is pulling off all kinds of bullshit. Nee chance.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

Re: the fight you have to lose

No doubt SunhilLegend or some other magician will prove me wrong but I really don’t think anyone can grind out a win. You’ve got no BD so no stims, and the opponent is pulling off all kinds of bullshit. Nee chance.

Story Mode is absolutely winnable, even more so with the Shatter perk

It's just like the Bracca fight with Trilla

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wait, which fight? I don't recall a scripted loss in this game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait, which fight? I don't recall a scripted loss in this game.

There's two, back-to-back, before the last fourth of the game

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So, if I go ahead and finish out the story, I can still run around and clear the map exploration stuff and do the fractures or whatever that I skipped (and Oggdo lmao)? Or does the end of story also end the game, so I'd have to go NG+?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

black.lion posted:

So, if I go ahead and finish out the story, I can still run around and clear the map exploration stuff and do the fractures or whatever that I skipped (and Oggdo lmao)?

You can. There's even a few discoverables and conversations that open up only after the final fight

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

black.lion posted:

So, if I go ahead and finish out the story, I can still run around and clear the map exploration stuff and do the fractures or whatever that I skipped (and Oggdo lmao)? Or does the end of story also end the game, so I'd have to go NG+?

You get to go back and run around afterwards. Also, I think you can only complete all the bounties after the story.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

There's two, back-to-back, before the last fourth of the game

Eh? There are fights where you "lose" in the cut scene, but I don't recall one where you have to lose by Cal's health hitting zero.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, Han wrestled a giant penis because he was jealous and trying to show up the prince. The Nightsisters were the evil rancor riders. Early EU was wacky as gently caress.

Courtship wasn't as bad as other books - Kevin J. Anderson says hello - but even it had the thing where it felt like the only way it could be cool was to say 'that thing in the movies sucks and this is really cool.' Here it was mostly the... not-Japanese space empire's ships which were totally cooler than Star Destroyers don't even suggest it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

10 Beers posted:

You get to go back and run around afterwards. Also, I think you can only complete all the bounties after the story.

Nah it’s just late in the story when you can finish it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dogen posted:

Nah it’s just late in the story when you can finish it.

Ah, the pair on Jedha only showed up for me afterwards. Weird.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh? There are fights where you "lose" in the cut scene, but I don't recall one where you have to lose by Cal's health hitting zero.

Yeah, I worded that poorly; one you have to win, but lose anyway, and one where you can either lose or win, but the latter's more satisfying, even if the end result doesn't change

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Courtship wasn't as bad as other books - Kevin J. Anderson says hello - but even it had the thing where it felt like the only way it could be cool was to say 'that thing in the movies sucks and this is really cool.' Here it was mostly the... not-Japanese space empire's ships which were totally cooler than Star Destroyers don't even suggest it.

I remember the scene where Luke has to eject or some poo poo from a flying vehicle and used the Force to float down safely. Everybody was like “Skywalker” must refer to that power. Even as kid I thought that was dumb.

This Battle Scars book has quickly turned into a romance novel for queer teen girls. Which is fine, but the ‘sexy’ stuff makes me laugh like an idiot. Everybody’s so flustered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but:

When Cal does his dark side stuff, he gains the same moveset Cere has in that sequence; given that she's used the dark side in the past, it could be a fun nod to her mastering her fear and directing the emotion into something meaningful. (Or just convenient mechanic reuse.)

Either way, I thought it was neat.