Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Immersive sim" remains an incredibly stupid name for the genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Role Playing Game and Adventure are honestly even more meaningless. Genre names peaked with First Person Shooter and Sports.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RBA Starblade posted:

"Immersive sim" remains an incredibly stupid name for the genre

agreed but, as long as people know what ur talking about who cares

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ain’t nobody care

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

0451 game :smugbird:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

please refer to the berlin interpretation of an immersive sim

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The only true immersive sim is when you program you and your crush into The Sims to make them gently caress and see what your offspring could look like.

Foul Fowl posted:

idk i mean yeah it's not really a """deep""" game whatever that means, it's straight-forward, you're just trying to kill your target(s) and escape. the breadth and depth of the game comes from the level design and the way your bio-mods and weapons interact with enemies and the world around you. it's not a game about anything else than that though there's a lot more to it if you care to look. but it's not going to be found in houses in the neighborhood level or any other very obvious place. but ultimately the game is just a rock solid tactical shooter FPS/kinda imm-sim game about assassinating a bunch of freaks who all live in a deeply strange place.

if you quit at the neighborhood level you missed out. in fact i would say 'do you go through the front door or the vent' is the exact opposite of what the game does. it knows you know it's a game and it starts messing with your expectations. it won't tell you this though. there's no NPC who's gonna radio in and tell you 'this vent that seemed like a good option for a stealth kill is full of toxic rats that take half your health when they bite you!!! what!!!!!'

it's deliberate and it's perfect for what the game is trying to be. you might not like it. but this is what peak divinely ordained hellworld capitalism looks like.

Didn't say that people can't like it, just that I found it shallow. I played up through the mall level which is (after looking it up) halfway through the game so maybe the second half turns it around but I just wasn't personally finding it engaging. Cutting my way through the police station and stealing their organs for cash isn't that difficult, and even the weird geometry and flesh beasts didn't really click when you are already operating on an alternate reality.

Really it's probably a personal thing because a lot of games in that visual space just don't really work for me. There's a bunch of fast paced shooters out there that go "oh man your sword is your spine and you use a skull to hold the soul of your enemies and you have to kill kill kill before you die" and it is just so much noise that I bounce off of it. Or something like the Outlast Trials where you just go "oh instead of tennis balls you have human hearts that's certainly something you could throw instead of tennis balls." I guess I'm just desensitized.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They're called 0451 games because when you see one you spin around 451 degrees and walk in a nearly orthogonal direction to your original bearing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

They're called 0451 games because when you see one you spin around 451 degrees and walk in a nearly orthogonal direction to your original bearing.

lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's only an immersive sim if it's an attempt to accurately recreate the effects of being submerged in fluid

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The origin of the phrase immersive sim is basically stupid (according to wikipedia) Warren Spector saw a player finish a task in the way the devs didnt expect and decided this called for a new genre name. Actually engaging with the textbook definition is a total language game given that all games have unintended solutions (mario 64 is a more successful immersive sim than basically anything). What we really seem to mean by it these days is system deusexalike.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CuddleCryptid posted:

The only true immersive sim is when you program you and your crush into The Sims to make them gently caress and see what your offspring could look like.

Didn't say that people can't like it, just that I found it shallow. I played up through the mall level which is (after looking it up) halfway through the game so maybe the second half turns it around but I just wasn't personally finding it engaging. Cutting my way through the police station and stealing their organs for cash isn't that difficult, and even the weird geometry and flesh beasts didn't really click when you are already operating on an alternate reality.

Really it's probably a personal thing because a lot of games in that visual space just don't really work for me. There's a bunch of fast paced shooters out there that go "oh man your sword is your spine and you use a skull to hold the soul of your enemies and you have to kill kill kill before you die" and it is just so much noise that I bounce off of it. Or something like the Outlast Trials where you just go "oh instead of tennis balls you have human hearts that's certainly something you could throw instead of tennis balls." I guess I'm just desensitized.

hey, some people think cucumber tastes better pickled, what are you gonna do

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No Wave posted:

The origin of the phrase immersive sim is basically stupid (according to wikipedia) Warren Spector saw a player finish a task in the way the devs didnt expect and decided this called for a new genre name. Actually engaging with the textbook definition is a total language game given that all games have unintended solutions (mario 64 is a more successful immersive sim than basically anything). What we really seem to mean by it these days is system deusexalike.

The most successful games in the genre are the newest legend of zelda titles. They’re zeldalikes now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Meanwhile Cuphead remains my favorite marisonic game.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The most consistent definition of immersive sim is "game made by people who've worked for Ion Storm, Looking Glass, or Arkane"

Nobody else bothers with it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
stealth action game. done

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FPS but with an inventory screen

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

*holding a plucked chicken* "BEHOLD, I've brought you an immersive sim!"

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

please confine your chicken cruelty to the diablo thread

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

there are only 2 genres

Number Go Up
Other

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are there any games that do not have a single number going up

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Immersive sim" died when Atomic Heart declared itself one.

Awesome! posted:

are there any games that do not have a single number going up

Games where ammo and enemy counts go down

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Doom, but you stop to riffle through every desk drawer and pocket along the way.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

An immersive sim is any game that gets a bunch of old dorks wound up about the definition of an immersive sim

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

And it's lockpicks and flushable toilets

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
immersive sim is an fps with bad combat

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FPS but you have a health bar and a mana bar

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Sab669 posted:

FPS but you have a health bar and a mana bar

that's a Heretic-like

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Zomborgon posted:

The most consistent definition of immersive sim is "game made by people who've worked for Ion Storm, Looking Glass, or Arkane"

Nobody else bothers with it

Not sure if that definition covers the Hitman devs, but if not then it's :wrong:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

FishMcCool posted:

Not sure if that definition covers the Hitman devs, but if not then it's :wrong:

Yeah, World of Assassination has taken a lot of cues from 0451/DX-like games. I'm aware that "0451" is more of a shibboleth than "immersive sim" but I'm going to keep using it and "DX-like" because "immersive sim," to me, means something more like Unreal World (those character portraits are so damned immersive). Actually, it makes me think of SCUM if it had no zombies and wasn't trying to be a pvp/battle royale game: you need to balance your food intake to get the right amount of vitamins and minerals, your stomach has a ite capacity (if you eat too much it'll explode, killing you), it takes time to digest food and water, you need to pee and poop, the archer's paradox is modeled in the game so arrows wobble (slightly) in flight, standing in water for too long will give you trenchfoot, and getting injured can cause infections which delay the healing of the wound until the infection is overcome (through natural immunity or taking antibiotics). It's absolutely full of the sorts of things that are, to me, both immersive and simulationist.

Warren Spector's "one city block" thing is a fine idea, but I don't think any game has been able to quite pull it off. Shadows of Doubt comes pretty close (though it's more like 16 small blocks, each with a single building or a park), as does the Prague hub in Mankind Divided (but you leave the hub to go on missions). Hitman: World of Assassination has a few levels that almost get there, too, particularly Sapienza, Marrakesh, and Mumbai (the "city" levels).

RIP Subversion, the Introversion game that was supposed to be this sort of thing, but then it kinda became Prison Architect after Chris DeLay toured Alcatraz.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 22, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Yakuza games are dense city block style games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deus Esque

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
I feel like the only time i ever see the term 'immersive sim' is when aggro weirdos are arguing that some new game isn't one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

fez_machine posted:

The Yakuza games are dense city block style games.

And there are tons of people who are more familiar with the lives and locations of Kamurochō than their own homes, seems like it fits.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Hwurmp posted:

Deus Esque

:hmmyes: I like that one.

If I'd said "DEx-like" (which flows better), people may have confused it with Dex, the side-scrolling cyberpunk rpg. If anyone had ever played Dex, that is.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 23, 2023

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Speaking of Imm Sims, Ctrl Alt Ego is on sale right now with 30% off.
An indie System Shock / Prey inspired game where you play a robot on a space station. Heard good things about this game, I'll give it a go tonight and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfX26tp4mqs

Squiggle posted:

An immersive sim is any game that gets a bunch of old dorks wound up about the definition of an immersive sim

:hmmyes:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess at least this hasn’t been the rtwp ‘argument’

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I just thought this is what you called colorization patches for Game Boy titles

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I like immersive sims. This is just a very shallow one once you strip away the visuals. Paint the walls all bright orange and it's pretty clear that the levels are Deus Ex Human Revolution levels of "do you go in the front door or the air vent, oh man you went through the window badass" most of the time.
that can't be true because i don't think HR has a lot of actual windows you can go through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

that can't be true because i don't think HR has a lot of actual windows you can go through

In fact it has none that you go through while actually in control of Jensen