Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

pardon me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

galveston sucks but even it does not deserve to be driven on by jeeps

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Weka posted:

My favorite thing about this ad for gay trucks is that it says the rather unimpressive driving is beyond the capabilities of the truck and they had to modify it to get it to do that.

a truck is an SUV, but more masculine, which is itself a minivan, but more masculine.

dudes with no personality except performative hypermasculinity get real real mad when you point it out to them that they are a tom of finland cartoon

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

dudes with no personality except performative hypermasculinity get real real mad when you point it out to them that they are a tom of finland cartoon

I've also had great luck asking people with Audis if they're renting them since > 90% of new Audis in the US are leased

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've also had great luck asking people with Audis if they're renting them since > 90% of new Audis in the US are leased
at least Audis are smallish. though I don’t know which is worse: Altima or Audi brains

both have psychopathic death-drives to unexist

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

I laughed out loud at the reveal ngl

Apr 7, 2003

hootin and hollerin at that weight difference

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Those 50's-60's long cars were amazing in how long they were and yet had no loving legroom.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
today on the walk to the elementary school I saw a car hit their brakes real quick because the school zone camera was active (huge $$$ ticket) and then the Tesla behind them blared their horn and got right up on their rear end while swerving.

then after drop-off was done, I saw a guy in a truck speeding along side a cyclist yelling at him and cursing.

poo poo sucks I hate it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I really love the future trend of North American cars becoming bulkier and heavier as fortress death-mobiles.

Instead of completely reorganizing or deliberately abandoning auto-centric suburbia through any amount of central planning, we're instead going fully in on the personal "secured" automobile - matches perfectly with the increased emphasis on "guard labour" - the natural outcome of deeply unequal societies with the haves trying to protect their assets from the have-nots.

It's like we're doing a spoof of Damnation Alley.

lol

lmao

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 18:32 on May 22, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

On much of the internet, even people who recognize that cars are poo poo and that we need to get away from them cannot imagine a different built environment and seem to think that we're just going to keep living like we do but with horses. It's bizarre.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah I appreciated this thread for similar reasons

https://twitter.com/MichelleStenzel/status/1660292997848743939https://twitter.com/MichelleStenzel/status/1660293012570750978https://twitter.com/MichelleStenzel/status/1660293025468239873https://twitter.com/MichelleStenzel/status/1660295403189796864

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

then after drop-off was done, I saw a guy in a truck speeding along side a cyclist yelling at him and cursing.

hey that's me every day that I bike to work and back because I bike in the middle of the right lane

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
people complain constantly that the traffic lights in my city are so poorly timed that you pretty much stop at a red light every block regardless of what direction you're going which means that driving speed is generally pretty slow. People are somewhat used to seeing bicycles now, so it feels like it's gotten a bit safer. However, this leads to the worst drivers on the planet running reds and speeding to beat that next red of course. Zero traffic enforcement of course.

My favorite stop light activity when it would be unsafe to run it on my bicycle is to look over at the driver at my light and it's about 50-50 whether that person's chin is touching their chest as they stare into their smartphone. I timed one guy who sat there at a green for a full 30 seconds before he finally drove through the yellow.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Cup Runneth Over posted:

hey that's me every day that I bike to work and back because I bike in the middle of the right lane

:hai:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mauser posted:

Zero traffic enforcement of course.

other than cars themselves this seems like a huge part of the problem.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

bikes are the fastest vehicles I take up a whole lane with :getin:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Milo and POTUS posted:

it's hard to imagine enforcement happening when 75% of cops are driving lifted jeeps with punisher decals and license plate blockers

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just realized that the truck is literally rainbow washed in that dumbfuck pride month commercial :vince:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

he's right
https://twitter.com/NathanTankus/status/1660698285835976705#m

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cops are all warrior killer sheepdogs now. They don’t have time for stuff like speeding when there’s school shooters to hide from.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cup Runneth Over posted:

At least if they’re swearing at you, they can see you.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I think I mentioned the horrific crash here with a driver who had like 12k dollars in speeding tickets who killed three other people. Well we have the name of the driver now, and read this thread if you want to go insane with an obvious example of someone who needed to have their car taken away before they committed a triple homicide

https://twitter.com/maustermuhle/status/1660725856229007364

everyone's gonna be booing and throwing trash at walker, and good on them, but the government that didn't urgently take walker's car away when it became clear that they were constantly menacing everyone around them is just as culpable

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cat botherer posted:

At least if they’re swearing at you, they can see you.

Precisely, I'd rather be called a dipshit than sideswiped

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Thread regulars will recall my little sabot sailboat with the bike trailer. Work is nearly completed on MK2. The Kon kepeken. The trailer performs much better as far as keeping the boat centered and being stable. The boat should be more ocean worthy as the sabot had no positive buoyancy and was only 9' long as opposed go the 16' loa of the Kon kepeken. Weight is comparable with the mast and rigging. She's styled after Melanesian sailing canoe and will have no rudder or centerboard but will be steered with a massive oar that serves as a lee board and can move the center of effort fore and aft as it is pressed on the gunnel. Off the wind the boat will be steered with a smaller paddle like a canoe.

These pics were from when I was testing the trailer and testing the lashing system. Should have some pics of sea trials in 3 weeks if there is interest.

Creativity is the antidote to cars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Trailer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sick, every strange and unwieldy load moved my bike is another reminder to everyone that we don't need personal cars to get around.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Given the huge cabs and tiny beds of modern trucks, you probably wouldn't be able to fit it into a truck anyway.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The fuel efficiency gains from 50mph to 30mph are fairly minimal. That's really the sweet spot.

Clark Nova posted:

a truck is an SUV, but more masculine, which is itself a minivan, but more masculine.

My truck is not stereotypically masculine and in fact it's ability to take a large load suggests the opposite.
Also a minivan is a car with extra seats, a SUV is a continuation of like a Wiley's jeep type thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I think I mentioned the horrific crash here with a driver who had like 12k dollars in speeding tickets who killed three other people. Well we have the name of the driver now, and read this thread if you want to go insane with an obvious example of someone who needed to have their car taken away before they committed a triple homicide

https://twitter.com/maustermuhle/status/1660725856229007364

everyone's gonna be booing and throwing trash at walker, and good on them, but the government that didn't urgently take walker's car away when it became clear that they were constantly menacing everyone around them is just as culpable

Was that the woman that tried to time travel and caused a car to explode

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yesterday, I got passed by about a foot by a car full of old fucks. Wide open lane available as well. Got to yell at them a bit when I caught up at the light. gently caress cars, gently caress old people.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

quote:

A man in the US has died after being struck by a car while helping ducklings cross the road, his children watching as the tragedy unfolded.

Police told The Sacramento Bee the unidentified man was trying to usher a family of ducks out of an intersection in Rocklin, California, when he was hit by a vehicle.

William Wimsatt, 12, witnessed the incident on Thursday night (local time).

He told KCRA3 the man “got out of the car and was shooing the ducks and everyone was clapping because he was being really nice”.

Summer Peterson also witnessed the incident, as did her child, she told KOVR.

“They were saying, ‘Oh, it’s so cute. It’s so nice of him.’ And then all of a sudden he was hit by a car.”

Police said the driver involved in the fatal crash was a 17-year-old girl heading east on Stanford Ranch Blvd.

Paramedics worked to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, The Sacramento Bee reported. The coroner will release his name after his family has been notified.

Police said the driver remained at the scene and while no arrest had been made, the crash remained under investigation.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

prop 65 owns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Taking up a lane on a bike ftw

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Ensign Expendable posted:

Given the huge cabs and tiny beds of modern trucks, you probably wouldn't be able to fit it into a truck anyway.

bro I can't even fit my bicycle in the bed of my truck with the gate closed

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

kinda like the dodge/Chrysler minivans over a short bed bro truck. with the lay flat stow n go seats you have a poo poo ton of room, can fit a full 4x8 sheet of plywood flat back there without even taking seats out. but in a 5’ bed quad cab you’d have the gate down and a bunch of wood sticking out the back lol

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Greg12 posted:

I can fit my bicycle in the back of a fiat 500 :)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Greg12 posted:

What's even the point of a fat idiot truck like that? I can fit two double beds on the back of mine.

A MIRACLE posted:

kinda like the dodge/Chrysler minivans over a short bed bro truck. with the lay flat stow n go seats you have a poo poo ton of room, can fit a full 4x8 sheet of plywood flat back there without even taking seats out. but in a 5’ bed quad cab you’d have the gate down and a bunch of wood sticking out the back lol

That's a normal van in the rest of the world.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

the bullet time jump at 0:52 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I hate this specific car.

https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1660812988264361984

Aren't the floorboards of Prius-es all battery because they're super heavy and cause stability issues if they're not as low to the ground as possible?