Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

sticksy posted:

I realize i'm the op for this thread but for some reason it doesn't allow me to change the thread title, which it should now be:

Barry S4: "Yes. Sold. Add to Cart."

Also, Hader was just on Conan's podcast and worth a listen since they're just fun together and he talks a bit about his process to making the show: https://www.earwolf.com/episode/bill-hader-returns/

e: the part where they start talking about Barry is around 21:45

Video clip, though not about Barry :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9cJW9T9RAc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mcbexx posted:

Well, events of next week pending, there needs a pitch to be happening at HBO, stat.

even if Hank dies the show can take place during the time skip

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Show rules.

Gene so easily turning on his supposed newfound principles the instant his ego is jerked off the right way... the shows misanthropic thesis that we can't reslly change and are doomed to perpetute cycles of abuse shouldn't be soil for such halirity and yet...

Man Noho Hank for once just doing the bad guy thing straight in that last scene without mincing about really was a bit chilling in contrast since we seldom (never?) see him.that way.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Owlbear Camus posted:

Show rules.

Gene so easily turning on his supposed newfound principles the instant his ego is jerked off the right way... the shows misanthropic thesis that we can't reslly change and are doomed to perpetute cycles of abuse shouldn't be soil for such halirity and yet...

Man Noho Hank for once just doing the bad guy thing straight in that last scene without mincing about really was a bit chilling in contrast since we seldom (never?) see him.that way.

It's rough because it makes you feel like the thesis isn't that we can't change, just that we can't change for the better.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah, it’s what makes it so powerful when it happens since it punctures his usual cheery demeanor. there’s been a couple times off of the top of my head, like in S2 when he’s outside of the theatre and Barry calls him stupid, his tone immediately changes and he directly threatens Sally. That was one of the first times when you kinda realize the Chechen mobster with a heart of gold is still a Chechen mobster.

In short:

e: one thing I’m wondering if they’re going to resolve anything with the flashbacks to Barry as a kid or if that was just to show his weird homelife and compare/contrast to him being a parent now, also in a barren tract of land without friends or connections for his son.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Lmao is the coke that Hank gets from the old lady the same one that the son has later

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I am going to be so drat sad when this and Succession end next week.

*Also, can someone remind me where the $250k came into play? I can't remember how Barry got it, and at one point he gave it to Fuches.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 23, 2023

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

mcbexx posted:

Well, events of next week pending, there needs a pitch to be happening at HBO, stat.

Okay this is reminding me of a TV show that did one episode with an alternate title sequence/name just for fun, does anyone know what this might have been?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

ruddiger posted:

Moss leaving Barry’s legs untied and alone all day seemed way too convenient and the stuff with the money is just too big of a stretch for him to care about, but I guess they needed to end it on a shot of Barry getting ready to go on a berserker frenzy to remind us why he’d be a perfect character for a Mark Wahlberg movie.

I feel like this might have been set up for Barry to contact/get Sally, the last loose end of the case, but I can't be sure. But Moss also might feel like Barry was just an end to the means and believes Gene was the true mastermind to the entire thing.

Then again, somehow Moss lost Barry before the 8-year jump which, given his hyper competence feels out of character?

I dunno this all feels like way too much for a single episode to wrap up in a half hour. I have to imagine several people are going to straight up bite it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Human Tornada posted:

Okay this is reminding me of a TV show that did one episode with an alternate title sequence/name just for fun, does anyone know what this might have been?

Man Seeking Woman did it for a couple episodes.

drat, I miss that show.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Barry’s hand in that shot looked like a wound of Christ

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
GRRM: I can't get the time skip perfect, I will need to write everything that happens in excruciating detail

Bill Hader: YOLO

and it worked

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fancy Hat! posted:

Then again, somehow Moss lost Barry before the 8-year jump which, given his hyper competence feels out of character?

He was in the right place at the right time, but likely didn't anticipate Sally going along with it. That's why Barry got away.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/klzg8s2.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/gExTT4b.gifv

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ghosthotel posted:

I've never gotten the vibe that Barry is actually religious, it's just something he's latched onto because he thinks it'll make him a "good" person.

It’s his new acting class. A distraction that he uses to both suppress and justify his violent/sociopathic urges.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
They thing I don’t like about the time skip is we never got the honest conversation between Barry and Sally. That’s always the part of these shows that I live for, where a character stops lying and lays it all out. We got that with Barry and Gene last season, and I really wanted to see Barry come clean with Sally.

Maybe we’ll get Fuques coming clean with Barry. If half the last episode is just them talking I’d be a happy man.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

lifg posted:

Maybe we’ll get Fuques coming clean with Barry. If half the last episode is just them talking I’d be a happy man.

Same, honestly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I feel a lot if y’all gonna be disappointed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I feel a lot if y’all gonna be disappointed.

Honestly I think so too. I love the show but it feels like maybe 1 hour of wrap up instead of a tight 30. I hope it sticks the landing but I have my hesitation.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

lifg posted:

Come clean about what? That he's a narcissist and thinks Barry is Rain Man? What does he have left to say to him?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As long as I’m entertained I’m ok. I don’t need it to answer everything.

But I agree, I feel like there is more than one episode of material to mine. Either way I’m fine. The show has been a hell of a ride.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Barry has always rushed plot points. That and the 30 minute runtime are refreshing in the era of ~prestige television~

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah this is good TV!

Like that Sally quote in acting class about people showing their worst ugly side etc, that's kind of what the show is, especially this season. We can all relate to and connect with that, even if we're not quite in their shoes.

I think a show as grimly sharp and satirical as Barry isn't working on such a surface level to say the fans must know Barry et al are bad etc. Or that we need to see them punished. Since you can tell how much they love vintage cinema, think of those cool New Hollywood movies with the grim amoral stories etc. I don't think Barry is about us judging the characters. Say American Gigolo etc.

It does seem to be saying everyone can be kind of selfish and broken, doomed by their upbringing. And maybe we should all be a bit more excellent to eachother, like Bill & Ted. And maybe it's also just a clever crime comedy satirical drama romp and it's not something with a big underlying message. Or maybe it is. From the first time we heard "starting now" I felt that really resonated, and a big part of the show seemed to be kind of saying wake up, quit thinking you'll change everything overnight. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results or whatever. Wherever you go, there you are. Yabba Dabba Doo. I was entertained, that's for sure.

I'll say I was expecting one of those classic TV conversation scenes with Moss in his famous garage, and we didn't get that. And I have no idea what they're doing with him, but I expect it'll land satisfyingly. Taking a sharp left turn is the Barry way.

drat fine show. Also, I feel like Gene gets a somewhat disproportionate amount of guff is all, maybe because on paper he appears to be a less damned character, so people want to point out his flaws more. I'll say he sure is one of my fav characters. That he has these big flaws makes him all the more lovable and memorable of a character.

Anyways, maybe that's just my bag, I like pointing out how the show is totally above good/bad it's about the human condition, told in a very heightened satirical way. And I'd like to point out this is one of the finest TV shows in some time.

Also, the red curtains in the scary vision scene, I hope David Lynch got a free Bob's Big Boy shake from the Barry production. A tip of the cap to the czar of bizarre.

One bit of critique, I don't think Sally hallucinating in the street scene really worked, it feels a little too easy of a shorthand to just have people seeing things like that so much. Especially when she seemed to be having a moment of clarity. But I like that the show is loose and feels like it's going with its gut.

Anyways, I'm pumped for the final ep. Here's hoping for more writing and directing from Bill and friends.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 23, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Barry has always rushed plot points. That and the 30 minute runtime are refreshing in the era of ~prestige television~

Too lazy to find the interview but it was pretty funny seeing him basically say "who cares" about the specifics of the time skip because it wasn't interesting

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yeah the show establishes early on that the world within the show is just a giant goof so you shouldn't try to read into it too much. Unfortunately, by becoming as dramatic as it has, that will cause people to want more depth out of it than it can offer.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
This season's attitude towards some of the character logistics is a little jarring probably because aside from Hank rescuing Cristobal, it's been just season 4 where the show fully leaped into the characters going back and forth from LA to different locations off-screen and having significant time lapses between both scenes and whole episodes.

Some of the disconnect is the show's tone as well. The first two to three seasons mostly played like Get Shorty as done by the Coen Brothers. But throughout Season 4, Barry now feels more like a goofier version of Inland Empire or Mulholland Drive, its comedic bits hewing more to the tone of Mulholland Drive's world's worst hitman scene, with a bit of Twin Peaks' Dwarf Assassin and the Gangland Arm Wrestling contest for good measure.

I really like how Barry has progressed but I wonder, pending how the finale pulls it all together, if stepping away from Fuches, Moss, Hank, and for the most part Gene for a whole episode is what's making the show's final beats seem a bit rushed.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 23, 2023

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Human Tornada posted:

Psych did that a bunch of times. Also 30 Rock.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

They didn't change the name but Girls had this great change up mimicking Enter the Void. Can't find it tho

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Phoix posted:

Too lazy to find the interview but it was pretty funny seeing him basically say "who cares" about the specifics of the time skip because it wasn't interesting

I agree with him that the time skip is not interesting.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Robobot posted:

I agree with him that the time skip is not interesting.

Yeah, I don't find it particularly interesting either. Tell the story you've been telling for 5+ years, there is no need to try and switch it up at the end. Yes, I know, we've seen a few 10 second glimpses at a possible future throughout the series.

I think I'm growing overly tired of time-jumps as a crutch for storytelling.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gentlemen can disagree but I think it's perfectly in keeping with the themes of the show.

You stand in your own way of what you think you want or think you're supposed to want. There is no happily ever after.

You can't change, at least not for the better.

You're doomed to inflict what was done to you on others.

By putting the characters in their "happily ever after" (escaped and with their True Love, the raven, sand mogul/mob boss, ostensiably freed from their showbiz narcasism) and showing they're still actually hosed up is perfectly in keeping, if misanthropic bordering on nihilistic.

It's a credit to the writing they wring laugh out loud humor from such a bleak canvas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
prediction 1: all factions kill each other. Again

prediction 2: everyone pays barista guru guy a visit and the finale ends in one big namaste

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Prediction 3: Not a single person dies in the finale

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Barry's kid kills Hank and his crew in a fit of rage and the next scene is the Barry family moving into their new digs at nohohank

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Next week isn’t actually the series finale, it was all a joke and they’ll surprise reveal another season in the last 30 seconds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It will be the stealth pilot of the Noho Hank spinoff.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I read that Anthony Carrigan was struggling with finding roles due to his alopecia, which made him just try even harder. It's interesting because if it weren't for his alopecia, he might've been lost in a sea of similar looking faces. The alopecia made him more suitable to play Victor Zsasz on Gotham, which is where I discovered him.

I can't wait to see what he does next. He definitely deserves a lead role

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He got this role by just making up an accent and they loved it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gentlemen can disagree but I think it's perfectly in keeping with the themes of the show.

You stand in your own way of what you think you want or think you're supposed to want. There is no happily ever after.

You can't change, at least not for the better.

You're doomed to inflict what was done to you on others.

By putting the characters in their "happily ever after" (escaped and with their True Love, the raven, sand mogul/mob boss, ostensiably freed from their showbiz narcasism) and showing they're still actually hosed up is perfectly in keeping, if misanthropic bordering on nihilistic.

It's a credit to the writing they wring laugh out loud humor from such a bleak canvas.

I think it’s a good idea, but it hasn’t translated well for me. It totally removed all the built up tension of the last five seasons and only added the kid as a new character (and I use that loosely). So far he’s just been there to kinda take abuse. Like a last ditch effort by the writers to wash away whatever sympathy for Barry and Sally the audience may have had.

I get what they’re going for, and I think they’re doing it successfully. I just don’t think it was necessary and it’s kinda taken me out of the last few episodes. I’m sure on a rewatch I’ll be pleased as punch because everything is so well written. I’m just a bit disappointed in the direction they took the end game but I’m still excited to see the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/mCmAePg.gifv