Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i have ESPN and TNT and NHL Network via Sling for like 50/month. probably gonna cancel it once the NHL/NBA playoffs are over. would love it if I could just get those channels and nothing else, but I'm guessing that it would be around the same money if I paid individually via OTT or something. I also do the ESPN/Hulu/Disney bundle. don't really watch Disney but the old lady likes Hulu. Not sure if it'd be cheaper to just do the duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Declan MacManus posted:

maybe this is the point but at $45 a month it makes more sense to just spring for basic cable (anywhere from $40-70 a month) or youtube tv ($72 a month but includes a lot of other things)

it would have to be a substantial discount over the combined cable packages to justify the plan by itself; if they're floating the idea out there then they've either figured out that lower price point or they're seeing what the market for it would be

It's the "you need high tier cable package" to get ESPN u or news that is terrible since it comes with a bunch of stuff I don't ever watch. I do realize that's how cable works, but off loading a big chunk of those channels could likely reduce my cable/internet bill significantly.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'd rather spend $30/mo for ESPN than $45/mo for a package that includes it because at least that way I know that none of my money is going to Fox News

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also people on cable are probably paying more than they realize due to all the bolted on fees and pretend discounts. I had a pretty basic tier cable subscription to get my local sports channels and my fiber internet. When I finally dropped the cable part, my bill dropped by closer to $100 than the $60 they acted like they were charging me.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Old people still have cable. Young people will just watch illegal streams. But if you have an espn package for $30 a month you’ll get that money you were never getting before. Especially if it’s a roommate situation where 2-5 people are splitting the cost.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Does that include the entire suite of ESPN networks or just the flagship (as the project is called)? If it's just ESPN then gently caress all the way off, but if it's everything (which includes stuff like SECN+ and so on) that's a different story

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Declan MacManus posted:

maybe this is the point but at $45 a month it makes more sense to just spring for basic cable (anywhere from $40-70 a month) or youtube tv ($72 a month but includes a lot of other things)

it would have to be a substantial discount over the combined cable packages to justify the plan by itself; if they're floating the idea out there then they've either figured out that lower price point or they're seeing what the market for it would be
I agree, but I think some form of that reaction is what they end up needing to keep this from strangling their golden goose (carriage fees)

Beneath a certain threshold, the conversation gets extremely awkward with cable companies: Tough to justify getting paid $7.64 per subscriber (or to be on basic cable at all) when there's a $10/mo alternative to get your networks. At $40/mo, a bit easier to make the case that plenty of ESPN watchers are keeping cable because they want sports AND other content but that they'll cut the cord real quick if ESPN is on a higher tier or if ESPN refuses to accept the lower carriage and disappears as a provider entirely.

Again, this is me spitballing so I could be super off about how Disney views this moving forward. I certainly wouldn't have predicted Discovery's catastrofuck with HBOMax

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

update

he gone

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1660753430380519425?s=46

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/riveraveblues/status/1660291354314911749?s=46

Good lord

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Welcome to the future

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What if there was some way to bundle all these services together, maybe tie them together with some cable?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Was this the guy who mispronounced "Negro League"? I think by itself that's maybe focusing too much on the word and not what's actually behind it, but this:

quote:

McDonald also reported that “information uncovered in the internal review” was another factor that led to Kuiper’s departure.

uhh certainly makes the story different.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

uhh certainly makes the story different.
Oh boy that could be fun.

If you manage to do "other" things that get you fired from a team that the owners basically couldn't give less of a poo poo about, you have probably done some pretty bad things.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 23, 2023

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

That Amazon game is also on wpix in the nyc area. They just simulcast Yankees games to the rest of New York or whatever the territory is.

Before last year those games used to be syndicated OTA. Also are the Sunday morning peacock games on NBC?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The American Dream posted:

That Amazon game is also on wpix in the nyc area. They just simulcast Yankees games to the rest of New York or whatever the territory is.

Before last year those games used to be syndicated OTA. Also are the Sunday morning peacock games on NBC?
The future of sports: all teams are "barnstorming" teams but instead of playing in a different town/city every night they play on a different network or TV channel every night and it's up to the viewer to figure out or subscribe to whatever it is they're playing on.

Diehards spend $10,000 a year on streaming services just to watch the Yankees lose in the AL Playoffs for the 15th straight year.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

as of last year wpix doesn't carry those games anymore, it's amazon-only in yankee territory

there was one peacock game on nbc earlier this month, but that's it for the season

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Vertical Lime posted:

as of last year wpix doesn't carry those games anymore, it's amazon-only in yankee territory

there was one peacock game on nbc earlier this month, but that's it for the season

Oh jeez, I assumed it was still wpix in the city and Amazon was rebroadcasting it upstate instead of being on the cw in my city.

If you live in NYC, how hard is it to get OTA channels with an indoor antenna? Or do all the buildings have antennas on the roof that you can hook up with a coaxe cable?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

The future of sports: all teams are "barnstorming" teams but instead of playing in a different town/city every night they play on a different network or TV channel every night and it's up to the viewer to figure out or subscribe to whatever it is they're playing on.

Diehards spend $10,000 a year on streaming services just to watch the Yankees lose in the AL Playoffs for the 15th straight year.

I was not promised this when the internet and “500-channel cable” were touted thirty years ago :mad:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Oh jeez, I assumed it was still wpix in the city and Amazon was rebroadcasting it upstate instead of being on the cw in my city.

If you live in NYC, how hard is it to get OTA channels with an indoor antenna? Or do all the buildings have antennas on the roof that you can hook up with a coaxe cable?

I had to put the antenna on the window for it to work at all but then worked fine and lol thinking landlords here would do something nice like give everyone OTA channel hookups

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah there are zero Yankee games that aren't behind some kind of paywall anymore. It's terrible.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MLB realizing its way easier to carve and monetize its shrinking fanbase then try and grow it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I know the Mets have 20 games on WPIX and the Yankees have zero OTA but how many games total from the other teams can be picked up over a antenna?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Island Nation posted:

I know the Mets have 20 games on WPIX and the Yankees have zero OTA but how many games total from the other teams can be picked up over a antenna?

regional saturday fox games

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2WlN5jsYg

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I was not promised this when the internet and “500-channel cable” were touted thirty years ago :mad:

500* channels!!!!!

* 470 are informercials

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Always love a good awkward live moment:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1661600169031536641

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Always love a good awkward live moment:

That man had something else on his mind

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

All I want is a package of live sports (the ESPN suite, local RSN, basic ABC/FOX/etc.) and literally nothing else, but I assume that'll never happen because of all the skin in the game. No one watches scripted television live anymore, so sports fans are basically subsidizing cable right now and they know we don't really have anywhere else to turn for consistent, convenient coverage. Sucks.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

RumbleFish posted:

No one watches scripted television live anymore, so sports fans are basically subsidizing cable right now and they know we don't really have anywhere else to turn for consistent, convenient coverage. Sucks.
For live+same day, still cable news by a wide margin. ESPN's rightly proud of the nearly 2m viewers it averages in primetime, but it's out of an estimated universe of 72m. Even during this playoffs run, ESPN and TNT combined for a bit over 3m during primetime... or approximately HGTV(5th)+Hallmark(7th)+History(9th)+Food Network (11th).

You've got the business model flipped. Cable collectively pays Disney $7.60 x 72m per month for ESPN, even though the overwhelming majority of those subscribers never or rarely watch the Worldwide Leader. ESPN, meanwhile, can charge such a fee because even though most don't watch them enough people have cable solely for sports that the model would crumble even quicker if they bailed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1661794527827435521

gently caress YEAH :toot:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

oh my god

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

oh hell yes

Wesley Two Scoops Berry, Siren kicking rear end on that upside down track, Nitro being a dick, Malibu getting cannonballed out of existence, I loved that show so much.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

KICKIN’ rear end IN THE ATLASPHERE

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
In between my bouts of excitement and anticipation I was thinking. Why did they announce this 5 days before air date, are 30for30s usually announced with such a small window?

Or is it because the nba and nhl conference finals are blowouts this year?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

In between my bouts of excitement and anticipation I was thinking. Why did they announce this 5 days before air date, are 30for30s usually announced with such a small window?

Or is it because the nba and nhl conference finals are blowouts this year?

i heard about this weeks ago, trailer and all

e: dated april 21st

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/american-gladiators-documentary-30-for-30.html

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 26, 2023

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mods make this picture the thread background right now pls and thx u

https://twitter.com/knicks_tape99/status/1663373995679404032?s=46

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

also the background of the Sports Journalism thread

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1663378840352063489

I’ll see what I can do

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1663669004601360385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Watching the Gladiators 30 for 30.

How are they going to get two episodes out of this? I've enjoyed most of it, but it's already feeling like they've covered just about everything.

Sabre is awesome, though, and I could listen to him all day.