Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If anything, I think the fact that the increase has been so disproportionately concentrated in wealthier white teenage girls indicates that it is most likely social media amplification of normal teenage poo poo.

The teens who are the kids and relatives of people who write newspaper articles, coincidentally or not.

In general it just reminds me of all the rear end-backwards approaches in the touchy-feely 90s, 'Successful and happy kids have high self-esteem... this must mean that if we make kids have higher self-esteem, they'll be more successful and happy!' Absolutely anything but approach the source of the problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Seriously, kids get lovely sleep because otherwise if they're doing everything expected of them from schooling, they've got like, maybe three or four hours to themselves? Which isn't really to themselves because of responsibilities they surely have to their parents as well. So ofc you stay up late and get up early. High school was the worst sleep I ever had by far, worse than college, which is saying a lot because I had multiple semesters with 12-4 am shifts working for our campus safety dept

I grew up in the northeast US and in the winter when it snowed it was very common for school to start 2 hours later (or it was just cancelled altogether when it was really bad). My entire childhood I felt like an absolute zombie in school. I probably fell asleep at my desk at least 2-3 times a day. But on those days when school started 2 hours later and I got to sleep in, it was probably the most alert and functional I ever was in class. It was like I was a completely different person. I can only imagine how well I would have done in school, and in life in general if I always felt like that.

I'm sure there's an element of "kids need to start school early in the morning because that's how the job world works so might as well get them used to it" or some other boomer bullshit at play. But it's not healthy for adults to be sleep deprived either, it's just that our capitalist hellscape has normalized it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As far as I can tell, the original intent of the earlier start times for HS students was so that they could go work in the afternoon, yeah.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FlamingLiberal posted:

As far as I can tell, the original intent of the earlier start times for HS students was so that they could go work in the afternoon, yeah.

Yeah, back when "Having to help out on the family farm" was a thing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PT6A posted:

The really funny thing is that they're increasingly trying to move in this direction but then hordes of stupid, stupid, gently caress-ignorant parents bleat that "oh they're not learning math the way I learned math! This new woke math is the end of society!"

Eureka math is like a knock off Singapore math with the color removed benchmarked to have suffering equivalent to Russian curricula.

It’s terrible. Put your hands out. Make two fists, thumbs together in the center. Now count from left to right pinkies. How hard was to put out your pinkies and ring fingers? Do you think that’s appropriate to do to a kindergartner? To insist without any flexibility they count that way?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
education and grown up work days imo could do more to respect different chrono types. some people are just night owls, some people are early birds.

sucks that we're stuck in these ridge blocks of hours and months/season when it comes to learning and teaching.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The only school district I went to that had later start times for middle and high school didn't have enough buses to bus both the elementary and middle school ( and the high school losers who couldn't get a ride any other way like me ) at once. So the elementary school students were picked up first, and then the middle school / high school students later in the morning.

EDIT:

PhazonLink posted:

education and grown up work days imo could do more to respect different chrono types. some people are just night owls, some people are early birds.

sucks that we're stuck in these ridge blocks of hours and months/season when it comes to learning and teaching.

Schools no, but grown up work days do have shift work. I've done all three eight hour shifts, and currently doing a "weekend" shift were I work 12 hours Friday/Saturday/Sunday and can work an additional 8 hours during the week in either one block or one or two 4 hour blocks. As most fun events are either scheduled at night OR during the weekend, there is still a clear "best shift" and that's the daily day shift tho.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 23, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I teach history surveys and upper-level classes, and I don't assign homework. Under certain circumstances I'll assign a weekly response paper to the assigned reading, and there will usually be a term paper or two per semester, but beyond that I the main grade points come from quizzes, in-class discussion/participation, and exams, the weight of all of which varies depending on the level of the class and number of student I'm teaching. Homework, like the sort we all used to get in grade and high school, is generally just marking time, and of little if any academic worth at the university level, best I can tell.

PhazonLink posted:

Totally. I hate morning classes, both as I'm a night owl myself, and I generally find college students are at their best between 1 and 4ish PM.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I made the mistake of studying the humanities: no exams, assigned reading (a lot) discussed in seminars twice a week, and a large essay due at the end of the semester. 100% of the grade was quality of seminar discussion and the big essay. Did a great job of preparing me for the horrible mistake of going to grad school and probably infected me with a lifelong love of reading difficult things and thinking carefully/wanting to talk about bid ideas with people.

All in all it seemed more pleasurable than what my friends in the sciences went through with two high-stakes exams testing mastery of content through a random sampling of concepts from class.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

I made the mistake of studying the humanities: no exams, assigned reading (a lot) discussed in seminars twice a week, and a large essay due at the end of the semester. 100% of the grade was quality of seminar discussion and the big essay. Did a great job of preparing me for the horrible mistake of going to grad school and probably infected me with a lifelong love of reading difficult things and thinking carefully/wanting to talk about bid ideas with people.

All in all it seemed more pleasurable than what my friends in the sciences went through with two high-stakes exams testing mastery of content through a random sampling of concepts from class.

Man when a class discussion hits critical mass and the students start really engaging on their own with the material without me having to prompt them or ask leading questions, it's just the best. Completely validates whatever it was I assigned them to read and makes the imposter syndrome I'm convinced like 90% of professors have feel less relevant, at least for a few minutes.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jaxyon posted:

I didn't read all of those links completely, but that should get you started.

Or ask your local friendly educator.

Just so we're on the same page, your original claim is

Jaxyon posted:

there's no real evidence that homework does much of anything.
If you want to revise this statement so it's something along the lines of "how some homework is structured in the US", "there's way too much homework given out", etc, that's fine. But I'm going to go through these links taking your original claim as literal.

quote:

It may surprise you, as it did me, to learn that no study has ever demonstrated any academic benefit to assigning homework before children are in high school. In fact, even in high school, the association between homework and achievement is weak -- and the data don't show that homework is responsible for higher achievement. (Correlation doesn't imply causation.)

Finally, there isn't a shred of evidence to support the folk wisdom that homework provides nonacademic benefits at any age -- for example, that it builds character, promotes self-discipline, or teaches good work habits.
While I'm too lazy to dig up studies of before 2006, the date of this article, it absolutely is not the case since then. Here are a couple of studies:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1932202X1102200202
https://repository.stcloudstate.edu/ed_etds/24/

This is a few sentence excerpt of a book I never read, so I might be missing context. But that excerpt's only source is a single link to a 1989 study. There's been plenty of studies since then that has included elementary school homework, including the two I linked above.

The very opening quote of this states

quote:

Homework is absolutely necessary for students to demonstrate that they are able to independently process and apply their learning.
It continues after that about different styles of homework, etc. But, again, this does not support your claim.

This is far from confirming your claim of "homework doesn't do much of anything". The conclusion clearly states it has an effect

quote:

I am not making a case for or against homework. But I have a strong belief that when it comes to homework, time management is everything. Those who manage the time well can get its benefit. For those who cannot struggle in school, not doing homework is not going to help any student anyhow.

Doing it with a positive approach is sure to help a student in one way or the other. Both the students and teachers must see homework in a positive light. One should make it moderate so that even the most average student could do it. And the student must see it as an essential part of his/her development in life.

If the habit of doing homework starts from elementary school, kids will be habitual with it, and it will not create a burden.

To me, this reads more like a "re-thinking homework so it's effective" type of news article. I have no why they used "There’s no consensus on whether homework works" as a header. That section seems to be looking at agreement of the effectiveness of homework, not if there's any effect at all from it.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 23, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
on a side topic, apparent a decent % of schools teach a weird non phonics way of reading(which I still dont get how it even works), so some kids/students are getting academically crippled thus poo poo snowballing the rest of this school life.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Professor Beetus posted:

Seriously, kids get lovely sleep because otherwise if they're doing everything expected of them from schooling, they've got like, maybe three or four hours to themselves? Which isn't really to themselves because of responsibilities they surely have to their parents as well. So ofc you stay up late and get up early. High school was the worst sleep I ever had by far, worse than college, which is saying a lot because I had multiple semesters with 12-4 am shifts working for our campus safety dept

God yes, senior year I was up to arrive at 6am for extracurricular stuff three days a week, in class from 8-330, then either afterschool practices 4-7 or working 4-9 in lovely fast food so I could buy gas and insurance. The people in serious sports programs were well beyond that, wrestling and football were big on two a day practices.

My current 12 hour shifts are better and only 3-4 days a week.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

PhazonLink posted:

on a side topic, apparent a decent % of schools teach a weird non phonics way of reading(which I still dont get how it even works), so some kids/students are getting academically crippled thus poo poo snowballing the rest of this school life.

My wife works in special ed and a lot of her masters training was on phonics and literacy pedagogy and it drives her bonkers it’s #1 rant topic. The amount of resources that get spent on garbage curriculums that don’t teach the kids is really unfortunate. It’s a bunch of “love of reading” evangelism and sight recognition of words queued by what’s on the page (pictures).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PhazonLink posted:

Whole word reading, or something like that- basically a rebellion against phonics in a similar vein to attacks on "new math", yet seemingly even longer in tooth. I've not read up on it in detail.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

My suspicion, from my time as a TA / tutor, is that grading itself has an incredibly perverse effect on education. By its very nature, changes the goal of students from "learn the material" to "get a good grade", and that encourages all sorts of unhealthy behaviors. Additionally, getting a bad grade often will convince people that they are fundamentally incapable of something (or, in some circumstances, will actively block someone from continuing in a subject). Not understanding something should not be seen as a personal failure, and the correct response to it should be to spend more time reinforcing that thing in a shame-free environment.

I'm curious to hear what full-time educators in this thread think about the above -- does that reflect your experience as well?

Yes, this is one of those “known issues” in education and research supports what you’re saying. One of the (many) issues is that with the class sizes we’re expected to teach vs the amount of prep and grading time we have, a numeric or letter grade is often the only realistic way to provide any feedback at all. When I have the time, my “grading” consists of constructive commentary that has been shown to be more effective for teaching/learning anyway. Unfortunately, clicking buttons in a rubric is much much faster and less mentally exhausting, so it’s often what I have to default to.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, you're in school from say 8:00 to 3:00, so seven hours and then do what? An extra four hours of work?

Yeah this is my particular issue with homework. We’re teaching kids way more than skill development when we saddle them with more homework than they have hours in the day. Balancing helping a kid reach their full potential in a subject with respecting their time (and teaching them, in turn, to establish good boundaries with work and respecting their time) is tricky.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Whole word reading, or something like that- basically a rebellion against phonics in a similar vein to attacks on "new math", yet seemingly even longer in tooth. I've not read up on it in detail.

I believe you're referring to sight reading, which is taught because that's how people actually read.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jarmak posted:

I believe you're referring to sight reading, which is taught because that's how people actually read.

Even people who are taught phonics? Because as a librarian it’s depressing to walk through a book and a kid stumbles on a word and I say

“let’s walk through it, what letter is that?”

“C!”

“What sound does it make?”

“…”

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Discendo Vox posted:

If you really want to dive into a bit of hilarity, whole world is based on the works of Chomsky, where teaching to read via phonics is impossible. And by hilarity it ruined a generation of readers until Harry Potter came out.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I like the idea that phonics is the best way to teach someone how to read a notoriously non-phonetic language.

“Alright Janie, just sound out these words: ‘tough,’ ‘though,’ and ‘through.’”

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Adenoid Dan posted:

It's a lot to expect kids to pay attention as a full time job and then expect them to also focus for a couple hours when they get home.

And increasingly have a part time job to help them/their family. Which is why the Republican long-term solution is to just get rid of schools.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Another for the humanities crew. All this school talk just makes me thankful it is almost summer. 18 years of HS history down.

A question for the professor types here. What types of changes have you seen in college students in the last five years or so? The pandemic and its aftermath have been some of the toughest years I have ever had teaching.

Nash fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 23, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

I like the idea that phonics is the best way to teach someone how to read a notoriously non-phonetic language.

“Alright Janie, just sound out these words: ‘tough,’ ‘though,’ and ‘through.’”

Like, yeah, I sight read and doing it since I was a small child. I mostly know because there's a tape of me reading a book to my grandfather and I occasionally swap in a different word that looks similar but is very much not phonomically similar.

But I was taught phonics eventually, and use basic English phonics to try to break down new words even now. Which does, on occasion, to things like thinking "chaos" was pronounced "cha-os" instead of "ka-os" for almost my entire teenage years, but it does work most of the time.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Nash posted:

Another for the humanities crew. All this school talk just makes me thankful it is almost summer. 18 years of HS history down.

A question for the professor types here. What types of changes have you seen in college students in the last five years or so? The pandemic and its aftermath have been some of the toughest years I have ever had teaching.

The pandemic continued the giant gulf in ability in students in my college classes - they either became more resourceful and better at doing things independently (including learning on their own to fill gaps!), Or they just sit there even more obediently waiting to be told EXACTLY what to do and become deeply confused when they have to do any sort of inference or activity they are not 100% practiced in or aware of.

There's definitely bigger gaps in knowledge from the lost pandemic years, but it's entirely random in how it's distributed, so it's mostly an individual level problem. I teach political science so students often come in with basically no political or history background if that was the class they missed. Young folks are generally more engaged, especially since trump, and a lot seemed to have used the pandemic time to become obsessed with politics or take advantage of the time off to become informed about things. Biden seems to be reversing that trend though, with most of them disengaging or not really caring unless Trump and the GOPs latest horrors are in the news.

They're also better tech literate about Zoom/video calling but somehow didn't learn how to download or upload files.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Heard an NPR podcast on this. It sounds like an extremely serious problem and its shocking to me that WOKE MATH gets so much fanfare when we have schools actually failing to teach kids how to loving read which is like, if schools had ONE JOB that would be it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yiggy posted:

My wife works in special ed and a lot of her masters training was on phonics and literacy pedagogy and it drives her bonkers it’s #1 rant topic. The amount of resources that get spent on garbage curriculums that don’t teach the kids is really unfortunate. It’s a bunch of “love of reading” evangelism and sight recognition of words queued by what’s on the page (pictures).

It's almost like our system of highly local and highly politicized elections of randos to run school systems is as loving stupid as when we do it for other vital but specialized jobs that shouldn't be elected positions.

Triskelli posted:

Even people who are taught phonics? Because as a librarian it’s depressing to walk through a book and a kid stumbles on a word and I say

“let’s walk through it, what letter is that?”

“C!”

“What sound does it make?”

“…”

That's just a smart kid who is waiting for you to provide the context, so they can tell you which "C" sound you're asking for.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nash posted:

The past three years or so I've seen a significant decline in the number of students who know how to write formally. In particular, how, where, and when to cite a source has gotten significantly worse; even when I write up my own style guide in addition to the published ones I recommend they use, I still find "cite this" to be one of the most common comments I leave on papers.

Unrelated to this, but also unsurprising, I've noticed a much higher level of students needing mental/emotional assistance from Student Success than before 2020.

JosefStalinator posted:

The pandemic continued the giant gulf in ability in students in my college classes - they either became more resourceful and better at doing things independently (including learning on their own to fill gaps!), Or they just sit there even more obediently waiting to be told EXACTLY what to do and become deeply confused when they have to do any sort of inference or activity they are not 100% practiced in or aware of.

Man I just realized I've seen this too! A significant increase in passivity, distinct from the usual baseline of slackers who are just there to get their gen ed ticket punched and/or destined to fail out in a semester or two.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The past three years or so I've seen a significant decline in the number of students who know how to write formally. In particular, how, where, and when to cite a source has gotten significantly worse; even when I write up my own style guide in addition to the published ones I recommend they use, I still find "cite this" to be one of the most common comments I leave on papers.

Unrelated to this, but also unsurprising, I've noticed a much higher level of students needing mental/emotional assistance from Student Success than before 2020.

Man I just realized I've seen this too! A significant increase in passivity, distinct from the usual baseline of slackers who are just there to get their gen ed ticket punched and/or destined to fail out in a semester or two.

Oof yeah the writing thing is definitely a bit worse - wasn't sure if it was just my students or some side effects from the general education system decline, but I could see it coming from the pandemic. I have to devote a class every semester teaching students how to write formally, not use personal pronouns, not make it sound like a speech, etc. I suspect during the pandemic more teachers just rubber stamped whatever they were writing rather than work through it with them, which is a shame, because that was an opportunity to refine writing skills.

And yeah, the students struggling and sitting there awaiting instruction are not slackers - they're genuinely wanting to learn but have no idea what to do and just kinda sit helplessly.

Also echo the mental health stuff, though I wonder how much of it is genuine increased mental health problems and how much is just way more openness in sharing it. Some students really, really like to over share their mental health burdens.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gyges posted:

That's just a smart kid who is waiting for you to provide the context, so they can tell you which "C" sound you're asking for.

C is for Coelum!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The FED is out with their annual economic wellbeing research.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/2022-report-economic-well-being-us-households-202305.pdf

There are several interesting data points about how much the pandemic has really messed with people's lives, perceptions, and routines.

One interesting thing is the continuing trend since ~2015 where people's perception of their own financial wellbeing have completely diverged from their perception of the overall economy. It started around 2015, but the pandemic completely exploded it. Ever since they started measuring it in the 1940's, people's opinion of how well the economy was doing was tied very closely to how they were doing personally. If they were doing well, then they thought the economy was good. If they were doing poorly, then they thought the economy was doing poorly. It started to drift apart a little in 2015, but completely diverged in 2020 and has been getting larger every year since.

In the 2022 data:

- 73% of Americans reported that their personal financial situation was positive ("doing okay" or "living comfortably")

- At the same time, only 18% reported that their impression of the national economy was positive ("good" or "excellent")

- Perception of the local economy also differed significantly from perception of the national economy.

Another major change is how thoroughly remote work has become ingrained in white collar or creative work.

A full majority of people with a college degree worked from home at least part-time.

However, (and this is another major theme across nearly every category they looked at) the gap between workers with degrees and those with a high school diploma or less is massive. Only 16% of those without a degree worked from home at all.

Continuing the huge divergence in life experiences by degree, people without a high school degree are the only group where a majority do not rate their personal economic situation positively.

Even sorting by income shows that high school dropouts perceive their economic situation to be worse than people with high school or college degrees who make less money.

Another interesting data point is where Americans received their incomes. A full majority (53%) of Americans received some form of non-labor income due to the large percentage of the population that is retired and drawing social security/pension payments and the record number of people claiming interest, dividends, or rental income.

In 2022, the following percentage of Americans received these types of income (people can be counted in multiple categories if they received a significant amount of income from both):

Wages, Salaries, or Self-Employment: 66%
Interest, Dividends, or Rental Income: 31%
Social Security: 27%
Pension: 18%
Disability, TANF, or Direct Cash Assistance Welfare Program: 6%
Unemployment Income: 2%

Income variability was one of the biggest sources of financial challenges reported by people. Income variability is overwhelmingly concentrated in certain industries and tends to make people working in those areas less economically stable than the average person. Some of these industries have significant monthly variables for nearly half of the people employed in that industry each year.

These are the industries that with the largest amount of employees reporting significant monthly income variation:

This is yet another area where people without a high school degree are essentially living in a different country from college graduates.

Biggest/Most Interesting/Wildest Findings

- America is getting incredibly old and a large amount of the population is retired. 50.5% of the population over age 55 is now retired from full-time work and nearly 1/3 of the total population is retired. A full majority of Americans are getting some significant portion of their income from non-labor sources (social security, pension, rental income, interest, or dividends).

- People without a high school degree (about 9%) and, to a lesser degree, people with just a high school degree (about 28%) essentially live in entirely different worlds from the rest of the population. They experience more income variability, have lower perceptions of their own personal financial situation, and have nearly totally different experiences with job length, remote work, and pay stability than the rest of the population.

- The increasing disconnect between people's perceptions of their own economic situation (roughly 3/4 think they are doing fine to great) and the perception of the national economy overall (despite 3/4 of people thinking they are doing fine to great, more than 4 out of 5 Americans assume everyone else is doing much worse than they are). The divergence of the perception in the national economy to local economy is also very interesting (the general perception is that they are doing fine, everyone else in the country is doing very poorly, and everyone in their local area is doing okay.) There's still not a clear definitive reason why those perceptions have completely diverged.

- If remote work for the creative class/white collar worker/college degree holders sticks around, then it is likely going to be the most significant shift in the economy and labor in decades. It is also further increasing the gap in the day-to-day lived experiences of the average American with a college degree and the average American with no high school diploma.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 23, 2023

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

Nash posted:

Private, teaching-intensive college in the Midwest. Professor in a basic science where students move through as a cohort.

Big ol' caveat here that every class is different. I'll have a class one year that is interactive and asks questions, laugh at jokes; and that class might be sandwiched between two quiet, disengaged and/or jokeless automatons.

In general, I've seen some positives and a lot of negatives:
+ A lot less "entitlement behavior" (God, I hate that word, but it really encapsulated the state of higher ed when I started a decade+ ago). Interactions with students are a lot more, "you tell me what to do and I will gladly do it."
- With that said, there is also less "learn on my own" or "learn for the sake of learning." The mentality is like one of an assembly line or factory: "tell me what you want me to compute so I will compute it."

+ I perceive less day-to-day drama, and cohorts are a lot more open to working together in labs, on projects, etc.

- I find that I'm hounding students about turning things in way more than before. More expectation that I will give a grace period on assignments, even when I tell them "no grace period. Turn it in on time or don't bother." Part of that is my dumbass colleagues letting students turn things in whenever.

+ Much more "tech-savvy," so I can throw all kinds of teaching styles at them and they seem to respond to it, so we can get creative in ways we couldn't in 2010. However...
- Time spent on phones is way up. I get that you can use a phone to look up information, but I can see what you're doing when you aren't listening to me, and it isn't scholarly.
(I will hedge on that last one, though: I vividly recall classmates in my 100-person calculus lectures in 1998 who would sit in the back with headphones on, clearly disengaged. So, it isn't a "new" phenomenon, just a new gizmo being used as a distractor).

- "They wouldn't wipe their butt if I didn't tell them to." This is my crude way of describing the massive downward trend in independent thinking I've seen in the research lab. It's kind of like an expectation of hand-holding. "What do I do now?" "What did you do last time we did this?" "I did this." "OK, then do that." <--this is a common conversation now, and it's massively peaked post-pandemic. :psyduck:

+/- This last one is relevant to the mental health conversation here earlier: My students are massively stressed out...but, they seem to recognize it, and will tell me about the things they are doing to manage. Sometimes it makes me sad - I can't believe you have to deal with this right now, and that you're sharing this with your college professor instead of a trusted friend - but I'm hopeful because many have healthy coping strategies.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is the main reason that stops/prevents Americans from getting a high school diploma? Serious question here because my experience of high school in the early 2000s to 2006 was “if you can breath and say your name you will literally pass every single class and graduate” or at least that’s how I remember it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/23/politics/dc-uhaul-crash-charges/index.html

U-Haul driver faces multiple charges after crashing into security barrier near White House in Lafayette Square, police say

quote:

A man crashed a U-Haul truck into a security barrier near the White House on Monday night in what authorities are investigating as a potentially intentional incident.

Sai Varshith Kandula, 19, of Chesterfield, Missouri, is in custody and facing multiple charges including threatening to kill or harm a president, vice president or family member, US Park Police said. The Secret Service said there were no injuries to any agency or White House personnel.

The truck crashed into security barriers on the north side of Lafayette Square at 16th Street just before 10 p.m. ET, the US Secret Service said. A preliminary investigation revealed the driver may have intentionally struck the barrier, the agency later said.

A Park Police officer was later seen taking inventory of the U-Haul truck, packing up several pieces of evidence. Among the items that appear to be from the truck are a flag of what appears to be a swastika, a black backpack and a roll of duct tape. The cargo area of the moving truck appeared empty.

Hearing and reading a lot of comments about how the flag was planted. I guess by Soros Soldiers or some poo poo

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the main reason that stops/prevents Americans from getting a high school diploma? Serious question here because my experience of high school in the early 2000s to 2006 was “if you can breath and say your name you will literally pass every single class and graduate” or at least that’s how I remember it.

Pregnancy, abuse, poverty, and violence. It's mostly an economic/class thing at this point, because the academics are really not the barrier. Showing up is enough to graduate most schools - but showing up requires a sufficient support system to encourage the student and get them to school.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Twincityhacker posted:

Like, yeah, I sight read and doing it since I was a small child. I mostly know because there's a tape of me reading a book to my grandfather and I occasionally swap in a different word that looks similar but is very much not phonomically similar.

But I was taught phonics eventually, and use basic English phonics to try to break down new words even now. Which does, on occasion, to things like thinking "chaos" was pronounced "cha-os" instead of "ka-os" for almost my entire teenage years, but it does work most of the time.

I can't remember the last time I used English phonics to break down a word, it's not a phonetic language and the rules change depending on the origins of the word. English phonics turns into a wildly convoluted mess of rules that attempts to identify origin by proxy using common letter combinations and still then requires memorizing a million exceptions.

I break down words by recognizing components of the word common to other words and common roots. I know the phonetic rules they're just useless most of the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boris Galerkin posted:

Same. The problem is literally not showing up. Maybe they hate school because they're bullied, maybe they have to work to put food on the table and pay rent, maybe they don't have reliable transportation, maybe they're homeless because they got thrown out for being LGBTQ, maybe they were failed very early on in their education and do not have the most basic skills required to pass high school, maybe they have substance use disorders.

It's all very easy to say "high school's really loving easy" because, in general, it is; however, if you don't address the factors that cause people to simply not even be able to reach that bar, you can't fix the problem.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
But you don't start by learning a random assortment of words, you start with the ones that follow the basic pattern. It's a framework to add on to, and kids will move on from there to recognizing words by sight without having to think about it, naturally and gradually.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Being taught phonics kinda hosed me up as a kid, because poo poo like "long I" and "short I" don't actually exist in English as taught (as in, the short one and the long one aren't actually the short and long version of the same sound), and I was basically gaslit into thinking I couldn't read without rote memorizing each sound and how teachers wanted me to call it. Then I took linguistics in college and was completely vindicated. English orthography is extremely dumb.

Boris Galerkin posted:

My parents immigrated in the 80s without high school degrees and they don't work the kind of jobs that really need them, if you want one anecdote.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The FED is out with their annual economic wellbeing research.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/2022-report-economic-well-being-us-households-202305.pdf

There are several interesting data points about how much the pandemic has really messed with people's lives, perceptions, and routines.

One interesting thing is the continuing trend since ~2015 where people's perception of their own financial wellbeing have completely diverged from their perception of the overall economy. It started around 2015, but the pandemic completely exploded it. Ever since they started measuring it in the 1940's, people's opinion of how well the economy was doing was tied very closely to how they were doing personally. If they were doing well, then they thought the economy was good. If they were doing poorly, then they thought the economy was doing poorly. It started to drift apart a little in 2015, but completely diverged in 2020 and has been getting larger every year since.

In the 2022 data:

- 73% of Americans reported that their personal financial situation was positive ("doing okay" or "living comfortably")

- At the same time, only 18% reported that their impression of the national economy was positive ("good" or "excellent")
This I continues to be interesting and I think reflects a few overlapping phenomena -

1. People are more exposed to upsetting information about the economy and society because the internet has changed how information is promulgated. This also makes them more aware that their own situation is possibly precarious. So they are more pessimistic overall.

2. Maybe the most hopeful reason - that people have noticed that a quarter to a third of the population is totally hosed, and that means the economy isn’t working well, even if the respondent isn’t having trouble paying their own bills.

3. Every Republican, basically, answering based on partisan sentiment, now that a Democrat is President, rather than actual evaluation of conditions. Largely because of the media they’re exposed to reinforcing that.

4. Inflation. Which makes people feel like things are falling apart even if they’re not actually having trouble affording things.

5. Lingering Covid trauma. We all act like we’re over it but that poo poo was hosed and we’re all a little hosed up over it. (And probably will be for the rest of our lives to some extent.) The economy will always feel a little unsteady when we know a natural phenomenon could come out of nowhere and knock 30% of our GDP into oblivion, temporarily or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Adenoid Dan posted:

But you don't start by learning a random assortment of words, you start with the ones that follow the basic pattern. It's a framework to add on to, and kids will move on from there to recognizing words by sight without having to think about it, naturally and gradually.

Yes, of course you start somewhere, but that stops being useful after the reading level of cat in the hat.