Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jose Oquendo posted:

You know everyone's loving with you, right? Both of your devices are water proof to a degree. They are fine.

My iPhone XR has taken a full dip in the bath tub and my Apple Watch goes with me in the shower. You’re extremely fine op but thanks for the laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend accidentally got windshield wiper fluid on my phone screen and watch. Just a few drops.

..So how hosed am I? I'm thinking about making an appointment to the Apple Store on Monday since they both have Apple Care on them.

Just as a note for interested goons:

Windshield wiper fluid is likely methanol based plus a little bit of detergent, just rinse it with a dry microfiber cloth if it happens. If it has been "cut" with demineralized water, it's less powerful than the isopropyl alcohol you see in alcohol wipes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think the only concern there's to be had with fluids that aren't mostly just water, is whether they have sufficient surface tension to not pass through the speaker and microphone grills. And even then, I think nowadays at least phone speakers are constructed in such a way that they're watertight regardless. Also, certain liquids might affect the seals, but they're probably the kind of stuff you don't want to get on your skin either.

And soap kills surface tension of water. Steam is also a no-go. Which is why I'm surprised that say the watch survives daily showers for that long.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They said a couple drops on the screen. It's fine. Everything's fine.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I heard a rumor that Apple's machines can analyze and detect any warranty voiding substances whenever you take your device in for repairs.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I do remember someone once tried to clean my MacBook Pro's screen.

With Windex.

It stripped off the glossy coating, but only in parts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quackles posted:

I do remember someone once tried to clean my MacBook Pro's screen.

With Windex.

It stripped off the glossy coating, but only in parts.

This is why I suggested keeping an eye on the screen coating, it was the only thing I could think of that might actually be damaged.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Here I’ll open another can of worms and say if you have a screen protector on this isn’t a worry !

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use Windex (or its off-brand equivalent) to clean every digital screen I own. Works 4 me, OP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I use Windex (or its off-brand equivalent) to clean every digital screen I own. Works 4 me, OP.
This.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I lick my screen repeatedly after lathering it in bbq sauce. Really takes care of the fingerprints.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

POCKET CHOMP posted:

You really don’t want to use ammonia based cleaners. It can eat away at the different coatings on screens

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i don't know what's in windex nor do i care to find out, all i can say is i spray the blue stuff on there and it cleans the screen and it has worked for years

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I just use the lens wipes I have for my glasses.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I use iKleen and my MM6F3FE Polishing Cloth.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
apple approved chlorox wipes on iphones back at the beginning of covid (I use zeiss lens wipes that are 70% alcohol on my phones without problems so far)

distilled water on damp, soft cloths should be enough to unfuck monitors fwiw

the only time ive hosed up a phone's coating was getting hand sanitizer on one, but that was like 95+% alcohol

e: chlorox not lysol lmao

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 22, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I bought a dumb UV box for my phone at the start of the pandemic, I wonder if it actually worked

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hatty posted:

I bought a dumb UV box for my phone at the start of the pandemic, I wonder if it actually worked

no

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There's coating on the screen? How do I know if it's gone?

I don't use screen protectors because they add glare and mess with touch sensitivity but I wipe my phone down with a lens wipe almost once a day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don't use screen protectors because they add glare and mess with touch sensitivity but I wipe my phone down with a lens wipe almost once a day.

There's anti-reflective and oleophobic coatings on the screen. . Lens wipes are fine (glasses have different coatings on them as well). They're also ok for other types of screens since they also have types of coatings. I'm not familiar with whatever Apple said about lysol wipes, but I wouldn't use them on the screen nor would I use anything harsh like ammonia based cleaners.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

If you don't notice it either way, does it even matter? Goons are the only ones I see ever mention anything about the oleophobic coating or whatever. It's a piece of dang glass.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's anti-reflective and oleophobic coatings on the screen. . Lens wipes are fine (glasses have different coatings on them as well). They're also ok for other types of screens since they also have types of coatings. I'm not familiar with whatever Apple said about lysol wipes, but I wouldn't use them on the screen nor would I use anything harsh like ammonia based cleaners.

this is what they say about them:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207123#:~:text=Is%20it%20OK%20to%20use,containing%20bleach%20or%20hydrogen%20peroxide.

chlorox, not lysol, i always confuse the two my b my b

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If the front seems like it picks up fingerprints less readily than the back it’s still there

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way in the calendar app to quickly toggle time zones? I’m planning a trip abroad and it’s a bit awkward to see activities booked for 2am on the calendar when seeing if I have free time for other things.

I assuming changing the whole phone’s time zone would change what calendar displays but that’s a pain and I assume would start activating my Sleep focus when I’m in “travel planning” mode.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If it’s anything like my eyeglasses, you don’t mess up the coating evenly. So if you hold the phone so it’s a very reflective angle, I expect you would see a difference in different parts of the screen.

I just tried it and the fingerprint smudges seems to be completely uniform though, so who knows.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm not an iPhone person. My 73 year old mom is still on an iPhone 7 and I want to get her something at least somewhat better.

What's a good sweet spot model year for an old person just doing basic web and media consumption?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Chin Strap posted:

I'm not an iPhone person. My 73 year old mom is still on an iPhone 7 and I want to get her something at least somewhat better.

What's a good sweet spot model year for an old person just doing basic web and media consumption?

An iPhone 8 (Plus) :v:

I still run one and I am having a lovely time.

(I still love the existence of a physical Home button.)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Get a refurb 13 and forget about it for the next 10 years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

Quackles posted:

An iPhone 8 (Plus) :v:

I still run one and I am having a lovely time.

(I still love the existence of a physical Home button.)

They make the iPhone SE for people like you.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Corb3t posted:

Yeah this seems to be what I'm landing on

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I know this isn't what you asked, but might I also suggest: an Apple Watch with fall detection.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

I know this isn't what you asked, but might I also suggest: an Apple Watch with fall detection.

It’s amazing how many articles there are out there where an Apple Watch detects an irregular heartbeat, life-threatening fall, or somebody lost in a ravine and ends up saving their life. I even see redditors posting about it fairly often on Apple subreddits.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Corb3t posted:

It’s amazing how many articles there are out there where an Apple Watch detects an irregular heartbeat, life-threatening fall, or somebody lost in a ravine and ends up saving their life. I even see redditors posting about it fairly often on Apple subreddits.

It only works if the person actually lets it work though. Couple years ago my mother fell off the ladder going into the attic, landed on the garage floor and shattered her wrist and broke her femur at the femoral neck, requiring a bunch of metal plates and big-rear end screws to fix,, and when her watch was all “hey, that seemed like a pretty bad fall, do you want to call 911?” she canceled it. So like, I guess just make sure they understand what the watch can do and the sorts of the situations where they should let it do what it does.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Chin Strap posted:

The iPhone SE is the cheapest model, and it has the advantage of being almost identical to the one she already has - I know how hard it can be to teach older people new things with technology.

For the past few generations new models of SE have kept the same body with new internals which IMO is perfect for older folk with basic needs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Flowing Thot posted:

These are super useful for the elderly, and I just want to chime in and say, having had a shitload of experience now with both sets of my grandparents; you can’t wait till they’re in their 80s or 90s before you do this stuff; at that point they just won’t be capable of picking up new things. You need to make these adaptations when they’re in their late 60s, early 70s at the latest, get them used to technology while they still have a hope of learning it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Either a bigger phone like an 11/12+ or an SE plus an iPad just to be able to see things

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Corb3t posted:

Friend of mine works in the ER of a fairly large university hospital, and the last time we talked about the topic of health devices, and the AW specifically (IIRC because I was musing about the rumored optical glucose level measurements), he claimed that they had triple digit visits by now due to watch alerts and it never amounted to anything at all. I'm not sure how I'm to interpret that. As in, is the true positive rate actually really minuscule, or do I want to avoid that ER.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

Unfortunately, I have long fingers and the SE is too small. For me it is a Plus form factor or nothing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

iPhone: Unfortunately, I have long fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Shave your fingers down maybe?