Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dude's spending sub 20k which in this blessed year 2023 is used car territory, he's going used no matter what

Oh, the Kia Soul is kinda interesting. I don't love Hyundai/Kia product but the Soul is nifty and drives pretty well.

Edit: recommend not getting a sunroof on a car that gets parked outside as the drains will inevitably get clogged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would recommend anyone shopping for a used Kia or Hyundai to check potential rates with your insurance company. A certain number of them are high risk theft target and insurance policies are adjusted accordingly. Great cars though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

I Might Be Adam posted:

My 2017 Golf has been reliable for the last 66k with just doing reg maintenance except for a leaking sunroof. A used golf would be necessary since they dropped it from their new offerings. You can still get a new GTI though. It’s fun to drive and has good mpg.

I found the GTI seat bolstering to be a little much and kinda uncomfortable but im a bigger tall guy. Regular golf is roomy, comfortable, and will have a nicer interior and ride over a Toyota. Toyota would def last longer and be cheaper to maintain. I’m almost a little terrified what I’ll be subject to repair wise as my golf gets older.

2017 is well past most of VAG’s ridiculous reliability issues. I would not be concerned personally about a high likelihood of substantial repair costs. I would bet that car will run about average or better for reliability. In the early 2010s it was a lot worse.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Coincidentally, I was recently in the market for a sub-$20k car and I test drove both a gti and a soul. I ended up liking the soul a lot better! I got a manual for a very good price and it’s peppy and zippy. As previously mentioned, they are prone to theft so I bought a club for mine just in case.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Inner Light posted:

2017 is well past most of VAG’s ridiculous reliability issues. I would not be concerned personally about a high likelihood of substantial repair costs. I would bet that car will run about average or better for reliability. In the early 2010s it was a lot worse.

Well that's good to hear. I did my research prior to buying and I don't remember seeing anything that was a red flag but always good to be reminded. I have about 8 months of payments left so I'm sure there's no way the car will have a catastrophic failure at least until it's paid off.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Anecdote is not data etc etc but my mk7.5 GTI had its turbo replaced twice in <50k miles, under warranty both times. The turbo itself was fine, but the integrated boost control solenoid is not a serviceable/replaceable part - it's integral to the turbo, and it failed twice.

It was a fun car, and overall build quality was high, but I got rid of it just before the warranty ran out. Service guys laughed and said they do these all the time, and if not under warranty it'd have been $4K at the dealer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

TrueChaos posted:

Anecdote is not data etc etc but my mk7.5 GTI had its turbo replaced twice in <50k miles, under warranty both times. The turbo itself was fine, but the integrated boost control solenoid is not a serviceable/replaceable part - it's integral to the turbo, and it failed twice.

It was a fun car, and overall build quality was high, but I got rid of it just before the warranty ran out. Service guys laughed and said they do these all the time, and if not under warranty it'd have been $4K at the dealer.

Darn I was basing my experience on my Audi A4, MY 2013. That is one of those "ugh" level of specific issues you really need to get on forums to find out. Good to watch out for thank you. (I had zero warranty when I bought it.... I'm over 100k miles and my total repairs, including wear components or suspiciously fragile items looking at you bushings, wheel bearings, CV goddamn boots are probably around $4k ish)

Also appears to be one of those "nothing to do but pray" kind of thing for prevention unfortunately. Cars have so many parts its a wonder they work as well as they do I guess.

It will be interesting to see what EVs do to repair figures over time, and the mechanic business as a whole (in urban cores where this is particularly relevant).

I hate CV boots because I don't have a garage etc. and I don't want to do it on the street, and the book time is obscene. Plus I'm an idiot and go with the recommendation to get axle every time instead of just the boot. Don't worry about this if you don't know what it means! No other mechanical failure makes me upset like CV boots.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 16, 2023

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah, my boots had been leaking for years and I brought them in last week. I also got the axles replaced and it cost $800. Absolutely absurd. A few years ago I had it done on another car and it was $275 per side.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
OK, time to post up because I'm really starting my search:

Proposed Budget: Ugh. $40k I guess. Cars are loving expensive now.
New or Used: Prefer new but open to used.
Body Style: 3 row minivan or 3 row unibody crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Shuttling kids around, sitting in traffic at low speeds.
What aspects are most important to you? Android Auto / Carplay. Low TCO. Lots of space. Something that I can own cheaply for 10+ years

My wife and I have two kids and family that live in town. We currently only own 1 car, a PHEV Kia Niro. We don't drive every single day, but on a given day when we drive, we're spending about 90-120 minutes in the car to go 15-20 miles total. I cargo bike the kids when the weather is good, and total travel time is comparable to driving. Weekends involve longer drives and now that the kids are getting a little bigger we are wanting something comfortable for us, kids, and extended family all in one vehicle.

I think I want a Toyota Sienna. Our daily driving habits of hours in the car at 10mph average really work well with a hybrid car. I'd expect that we'll get better than rated fuel economy with a hybrid, and much worse than rated with a conventional gas car. The PHEV Pacifica is appealing, but really quite expensive. We already have home charging infrastructure that would be suitable for it that we use daily with our Niro PHEV, which we get about 2000-3000 miles per tank of gas on. I like base cars, and I mean legitimately like base cars. My favorite car that I've ever owned was the 3-cylinder manual Ford Fiesta that I bought new for $13k. I've always bought new previously, but also 3 of the 4 cars I've bought new and sold used depreciated less than $1,000 per year. So, new if it will cost me less than $1,000 per year?

The problem is that Siennas are hard to find and expensive. I'd buy a Chrysler Voyager if I could, but those are fleet only. I think that other minivans would burn a LOT more gas with the workload that we have, though. Ridicule my stupid life all you want, but there's no public transit infrastructure here and shuttling kids around is a pain.

I also have a hare-brained idea that if I'm going to spend way too much money on a car, it should at least be something that I like. On paper, comparing MSRP to MSRP and fuel economy to fuel economy, a Mazda CX90 will cost the same, burn less gas, and be a hell of a lot more interesting to drive than any of the non-Toyota minivans. That would also get us AWD, which is a minor plus. I like cars, and a turbo I6 is just plain cool to me. Am I lying to myself? Same price, AWD, turbo straight 6, and 25% more efficient in the city. Anything I'm missing?

We almost bought a Pacifica 5 years ago, when the MSRP with destination costs included was $28,390. If I had know that the same drat car would cost $40,000 5 years later, we would have done it. I guess now's the time though because I'm going to be even less willing to buy a base Pacifica for $50k in 2026.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Pacifica phev will get the 7500 tax credit if you still otherwise qualify.

Mazda dealers still have cx9s on the lot that you should be able to get a good deal on. None of these not-minivans are really the same as a minivan though and it sounds like you should get a minivan.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The Pacifica phev will get the 7500 tax credit if you still otherwise qualify.

Mazda dealers still have cx9s on the lot that you should be able to get a good deal on. None of these not-minivans are really the same as a minivan though and it sounds like you should get a minivan.

While the CX-9 is great and drives very well, it’s also incredibly compromised in terms of cargo space - more so than other options in this space.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The CX-90 PHEV doesn't qualify for any tax credit at all, does it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Not for the consumer. The leasing company would get one but they aren't passing them on on the leases yet afaik.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I would take a Pacifica over an Odyssey any day of the week. I've owned both and the Pacifica is a better van.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How do people feel about plug-in hybrids? I guess the selling point is that you might be able to commute with no gas but also can just be lazy and forget to plug-in, and also they can be speedy? But the prices are $$$$.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I am once again asking for your support boring used crossover recommendations from the '10s, any to avoid especially in the rust belt?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you have the infrastructure available to you already at work/home, it can make sense. If you have to go to a charger it loving sucks. I rented a plug-in a while back and thought it was good except for the charger situation.

Pricing wise it’s a hard sell. It’s like you’re pre-paying for gasoline you won’t use. If it was the same price as a gas engine it would be a no-brainer (again provided you have a work/home charger).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I would love a PHEV for the family hauler, but yeah the price premium and limited availability is a deal killer at present time. The idea sounds great but is it worth like $10k+ more? Debatable.

Like when I sniffed around at the RAV4 Prime actually getting one is nearly impossible, waiting like a year plus for delivery and paying dealer markup on top. Hard pass.

I would bet that we see a lot more PHEVs on the market in the next 5 years but longer term they will fall out of favor when pure EVs and charging infra gets good enough that most consumers ditch the extra cost and complexity of the ICE half.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

smackfu posted:

How do people feel about plug-in hybrids? I guess the selling point is that you might be able to commute with no gas but also can just be lazy and forget to plug-in, and also they can be speedy? But the prices are $$$$.

I just bought an X5 PHEV.

MSRP on the base AWD X5 : $63,900. The RWD is a bit cheaper, the PHEV is AWD.
MSRP on the PHEV: $65,700. PHEV also adds air suspension and + 50 hp/100 ft-lbs total system that makes it slightly faster despite the extra weight of the batteries.
Then add the $7,500 fed EV tax credit on top which I qualify for.
Plus it was the end of the run before the refresh this year so dealers were willing to deal. I got mine as a custom build (I wanted a unicorn build- base everything, small wheels, etc with the only options being radar cruise, heated steering wheel and armrest and metallic paint) for a few thousand below invoice.

In practice, the regular gas models were more available on the lots and the dealers were willing to discount them slightly more, but it was still a no brainer. I think people in California have done the math and with California electricity prices, it was still cheaper if you just ran it as a gas car and never charged it. Some owners in CA probably do just that. I have solar panels on my roof so my utility bills barely change.

I'm not renewing my Costco membership this year because I realized a large part of the reason I even go there is for the cheaper gas. Now that I use one tank of gas maybe every 6 month if I don't do a big road trip, the drive there wasn't worth the effort. I also just don't think about the gas tank anymore - even if I ran it completely dry, I can still get to the gas station on just electricity. The EV torque also makes it surprisingly zippy in the city in EV mode, more than you would think 113hp would on a 5,000lb truck.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

smackfu posted:

We own a Kia Niro PHEV despite not really wanting one or seeking it out, it was just cheaper. It was $28,500 out the door, taxed, before the ~$4600 tax credit.

We wanted radar cruise control, and the basest Niro non-PHEV or anything comparable didn't have it. This got us a car with radar cruise control for about $24k out the door after tax credits.

Years of theoretical gas savings get eaten by the cost of charging station install, assuming you pay a pro to do it. I thought that I was really clever and DIY-ed direct burial cable out to where I park, which worked flawlessly for 4 years up until last week, when it burned an outlet elsewhere in my house from the heavy sustained load. $500 to an electrician later and the car charger is on its own new 20A circuit.

You still have to maintain the gas side of the car even if you rarely use it, and we've had one intermittent CEL related to injectors after I let a tank of gas get too old in there. We're getting about 2000-3000 miles per tank of gas, which means that we're changing the oil about every other tank of gas. Feels stupid, but what else are you going to do?

Edit: Oh yeah, if you try and drive this car entirely on EV all the time like I do, it is powerfully slow. We don't have a big 113hp motor like Throatwarbler does, but you'd be surprised to know that 60hp is plenty to merge onto the freeway with normal traffic in a 3500lb car. There's a lot of torque behind it, and the Niro does run the EV through the transmission so it can shift.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 18, 2023

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I looked into getting an L2 charger. Just on L1 I can barely get enough charge overnight for my commute to work, but spending thousands of dollars extra (plus likely degrading the battery faster) to save ~1 tank of gas every 6 month made no sense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

Paying extra for a vehicle with all the complexities and bespoke parts of a barely-past-proof-of-concept model EV along with all of the maintenance of an ICE vehicle seems like an odd choice.

I do not believe these vehicles will be produced for long, individual modes/generations for an even shorter duration and therefore I do not believe there will be enough parts demand for many key components to make it worthwhile in the aftermarket. These are basically throw away cars that are being produced to meet CAFE standards while they figure out the real thing they need to do long term.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

smackfu posted:

If your round trip/daily commute is less than 30 miles (or whatever the EV range is) and you go 200+ miles on the weekends and still want the range it's a great option

I agree though it's a transitory car before 300mile electric cars fully replace base model civics etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
EDIT: oh there's a format

Proposed Budget: This is one of the things I need to figure out, but somewhere between 10k and 40k
New or Used: I'd prefer new but apparently new cars are like unicorns now?
Body Style: I need something with a backseat. SUV might make a certain amount of sense.
How will you be using the car?: daily driver, short work commute, occasional long trips. Replacing a pickup truck I do use sometimes for moving big stuff around.

I bought a brand new Tacoma pickup in 2005 and ive been driving it ever since with no problems but I need to replace it with something with a back seat (baby expected in a few months). Not really sure what my budget is going to be due to upcoming baby expenses -- in theory I could drop a thousand a month on a payment but in practice that would be a Bad Financial Decision.

Overall I'm happy with Toyota as a brand and would kinda like to stick with it. I'd also kinda like to keep my next car for twenty years too.

What and where should I be looking at and what should I know about car buying these days? Is the market expected to change any in coming months?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 20, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You really need to figure out which Toyota you want to buy or at least narrow it down a lot if you want advice here. And clarify things like if "that I sometimes use for moving big stuff around" is still a requirement or not and how that requirement can or can not be handled with a small trailer you can tow or renting a pickup from uhaul/home depot.

And no, nobody reasonable thinks the market is going to change any time soon.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Motronic posted:

There's been some positive signs though, right? The 2023 CR-V got a $3200 sticker price cut from 2022, which is pretty big.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43060987/honda-civic-cr-v-lx-trim-price/

We don't need a minivan now, so we're waiting to see if anyone blinks and introduces a baser minivan.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw on leasehackers that Honda dealers are coming out the door with $1k off MSRP on accords, which seems decent even by 2019 standards.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1658957790763679756?s=20

Soon...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Overall increasing trend of labor and "other supply issues" is worrying though

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I guess we aren't completely out of the woods yet but thing are certainly improving. I suppose there's a wild chance that car prices just remain elevated but goddamn that would suck and I'm looking forward to deals if prices fall ~25%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I saw on leasehackers that Honda dealers are coming out the door with $1k off MSRP on accords, which seems decent even by 2019 standards.

No one wants to buy big sedans. the accord is nice but it’s a dying segment and they’re all over rental lots.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Motronic posted:

You really need to figure out which Toyota you want to buy or at least narrow it down a lot if you want advice here. And clarify things like if "that I sometimes use for moving big stuff around" is still a requirement or not and how that requirement can or can not be handled with a small trailer you can tow or renting a pickup from uhaul/home depot.

:shrug: If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be asking questions :P

That said I think I've narrowed it down to the hybrids. What can people tell me about the Prius and Rav4? Is there still tax deduction for buying a hybrid?

Back in the days of my youth it was typical to see some seasonal change as they phased out prior model year cars for the next model year, but I guess that's gone the way of the dodo now?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 21, 2023

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No one wants to buy big sedans. the accord is nice but it’s a dying segment and they’re all over rental lots.

You’re not wrong, but the 2023 Accord is basically a worse Civic in every metric except if you’re transporting four adults long distances. Top-trim civic costs about the same as a bottom-trim Accord and the civic absolutely shreds the accord.

It’s a really awful production year for the Accord.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:shrug: If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be asking questions :P

That said I think I've narrowed it down to the hybrids. What can people tell me about the Prius and Rav4? Is there still tax deduction for buying a hybrid?

Back in the days of my youth it was typical to see some seasonal change as they phased out prior model year cars for the next model year, but I guess that's gone the way of the dodo now?

This is the list of cars that get a tax credit if you option it to be below the MSRP limit and meet the maximum income criteria.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax2023.shtml

It's basically just Teslas, the VW ID.4, the Pacifica and a bunch of GM/Ford stuff that probably only exists in theory and not on dealer lots. The website may be updated though, I understand that the BMW X5 will get a $3,750 credit, but it's not on there yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DNK posted:

You’re not wrong, but the 2023 Accord is basically a worse Civic in every metric except if you’re transporting four adults long distances. Top-trim civic costs about the same as a bottom-trim Accord and the civic absolutely shreds the accord.

It’s a really awful production year for the Accord.

This is always true to a pretty high degree of top trim small car vs bottom trim large car. The small car is better at everything other than being large.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Curious to get some opinions on the cars I'm looking at.

quote:

Proposed Budget: 45k-55k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sports sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, 25 minute commute.
What aspects are most important to you? Power, handling, comfort/ergonomics, looks, reliability through at least the warranty period + 1-2 years. Would like something a little unique (I mean, it's replacing a frickin' Saab Turbo X)

Not interested in a BMW, Benz or a Caddy. Audis seem to be uncompetitive on price for their offerings.

So far looked at:

Volvo S60- loved the interior, best integrated touchscreen I've seen so far. Controls are slightly weird, but wouldn't be Swedish if it weren't quirky. Volvo's plusses are obvious, but it is seriously down on power against the competition (247hp).

Acura TLX- The Type S is available at a stretch, but I'm looking at the other trims too. I like the front of the car, but the interior is a little too similar to my wife's Accord.

Infiniti Q50- Beautiful outside, great seats. Odd lack of headroom, dash has a weird falling-away-from-you feel.

Still planning on looking at a Genesis G70 and an Alfa Romeo Giulia. Maybe a Lincoln. Haven't looked into Lexus yet.

Anybody got strong opinions, positive or negative on these cars?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GD_American posted:

Curious to get some opinions on the cars I'm looking at.

Infiniti Q50-

Anybody got strong opinions, positive or negative on these cars?

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one

Infinity is just a Nissan Altima and if you don't buy new off the lot your neighbors will assume it's an old airport rental SUV. In three years everyone will forget you bought it new and you'll be the guy driving the airport rental SUV. Go walk the lot at any CarMax and check out how many G50 airport rental suvs they have rotting on the lot

Lexus makes pretty good SUVs above the RX/RZ model level, if you do some research many of them share a lot of land cruiser dna

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 23, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

An $80,000 Shelby GT500 won’t depreciate more than 1k a year as long as you keep it for at least 80 years.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hadlock posted:

Infinity is just a Nissan Altima and if you don't buy new off the lot your neighbors will assume it's an old airport rental SUV. In three years everyone will forget you bought it new and you'll be the guy driving the airport rental SUV. Go walk the lot at any CarMax and check out how many G50 airport rental suvs they have rotting on the lot

Lexus makes pretty good SUVs above the RX/RZ model level, if you do some research many of them share a lot of land cruiser dna

Q50 is a sedan. I'm only shopping sports sedans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Hadlock posted:

OP said luxury sedan? Also the Infiniti referenced is a Q50 which is also a sedan?

I'd agree though it's just a Nissan in any case.

If OP is looking at the Genesis, might as well check out the Kia Stinger too.