Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Phigs posted:

Also, thinking more on the pineapple task it said "pile the pineapples on the path". "The" can be quite contentious... but "the pineapples" would have to exist in some form at the beginning. So those drawn pineapples shouldn't count IMO.

This was exactly my thinking as well. That said, I like Mae and their energy, even if their task attempts aren't the most entertaining.

The only seasons I ever found myself getting bored, and would be reluctant to rewatch, were 6, 9*, and 12.

*Does not apply when Ed is yelling at David Baddiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing about the jelly task which I think was ambiguous (probably on purpose) was that the task mentioned not being allowed to break the jelly, but only having something touch the duck was actually disqualifying. I suspect it was written that way so that if someone did try something like taking a slice off the top and putting something on that, it would lead to a lot of argument in the studio about whether or not that attempt should be allowed.

I do feel like Greg is probably a bit too generous to Mae's lateral approaches to tasks but I also think that he is totally only doing that because it winds everybody up. He was much less generous to Hugh in S4 who had a very similar approach to tasks and I feel like the reason for that is that the S4 cast was basically just too nice to each other for it to ever lead to a big argument, so it was funnier to be mean to him. Greg seems to enjoy maximum chaos scoring.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I think the Mae dynamic is best captured from a comment on the Australian Taskmaster. The TM noted that the two person team was well-paired because "you're so focused on doing the task well that you forget to be entertaining, and she's so focused on being entertaining that she forgets to do the task at all."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not bad, though a thin slice of jelly probably breaks easier. My mind immediately went to freezing it. Then the time limit came in but now that I think about it, maybe you could have tried it with a fire extinguisher.

Timing it so you set down something heavy right at the mark is probably still the cleverest way.

that's why you do it on the slice, you only need to protect the duck, hence 'the' becoming a point of contention because the jelly is now in two pieces.

The Modern Leper posted:

I think the Mae dynamic is best captured from a comment on the Australian Taskmaster. The TM noted that the two person team was well-paired because "you're so focused on doing the task well that you forget to be entertaining, and she's so focused on being entertaining that she forgets to do the task at all."

Yeah, I think that's true. I like them from a problem solving angle and of course i'm cheering for a fellow canadian but yeesh they're just too focused on doing the thing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing about the jelly task which I think was ambiguous (probably on purpose) was that the task mentioned not being allowed to break the jelly, but only having something touch the duck was actually disqualifying. I suspect it was written that way so that if someone did try something like taking a slice off the top and putting something on that, it would lead to a lot of argument in the studio about whether or not that attempt should be allowed.

I do feel like Greg is probably a bit too generous to Mae's lateral approaches to tasks but I also think that he is totally only doing that because it winds everybody up. He was much less generous to Hugh in S4 who had a very similar approach to tasks and I feel like the reason for that is that the S4 cast was basically just too nice to each other for it to ever lead to a big argument, so it was funnier to be mean to him. Greg seems to enjoy maximum chaos scoring.

yeah I commented to my sister as we were watching that he seems to go for whatever will make Kiell in particular the angriest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Kiell going ‘Oh gently caress off’ might be one of my favourite things from this season. :allears:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Bit of bonus fun: rewatch Kiell's duck catcher sketch, but picture Fern saying all the lines. There are some choice "Oh no"s to recollect there. A fun tidbit from the podcast - this brolly task was first attempted in Series 6, but it didn't work and got cut. They "repurposed" it for Series 15 using the umbrellas left over from that attempt.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
allowing the drawn pineapples sets a dangerous precedent for future tasks. just draw a picture of a thing and you win!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

unless you're David Baddiel

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

allowing the drawn pineapples sets a dangerous precedent for future tasks. just draw a picture of a thing and you win!

There is no such thing as precedent in this show :)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paperhouse posted:

There aren't really that many tasks where drawing something is the best outside-the-box solution. Sure, maybe Rodd Gilbert could have put a drawing of a satsuma in a sock and get the same amount of points, but I think most tasks are worded in a way that would disqualify drawings. Then, of course, there are tasks where the contestant just asks the production team nicely to solve it through video/photo editing for them, and it works because Greg finds the idea funny. Like when Noel Fielding 'camouflaged himself' as a banana.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Paperhouse posted:

If anything it will prevent the idea being used again. Unless GD finds a new interpretation funny for whatever reason or whim he has in that moment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t know if he ever comes back but I’m up to ep 11 of the podcast and the Greg Davies episode is fantastic.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paperhouse posted:

It's no different than how Bridget interperted "record the biggest number on a pedometer". Stuff like this happens all the time on the show.

Edit: They should've argued about the wording specifing "the" pineapples, as opposed to the definition of a pineapple. Because a drawing of a pineapple is as much of a pineapple as a candyfloss pineapple.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 23, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

we need more calls to susie dent

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t know if he ever comes back but I’m up to ep 11 of the podcast and the Greg Davies episode is fantastic.

I’m on season 5 and following along with the podcast for each episode. It’s a fun way to experience the show for the first time, except for how often he drops spoilers about the season outcomes. I guess he assumes everyone has seen it all already, but I haven’t :argh:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

vanity slug posted:

we need more calls to susie dent

:yeah:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I want Susie Dent to show up in a NYT. She was a lot of fun on House of Games.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have finally made it onto the first NY treat, and my joy at the banter is huge. Greg is super tickled at having Krishnan there.

EDIT: that was great, and I kind of wish there’d been another episode of them :allears:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 23, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
"It does work without comedians, doesn't it?"

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I have finally made it onto the first NY treat, and my joy at the banter is huge. Greg is super tickled at having Krishnan there.

EDIT: that was great, and I kind of wish there’d been another episode of them :allears:

The biggest loss this show has ever had was not getting Rylan, Adrian Chiles, Mo Farah or Nicola Coughlan onto a full 10 episode series. They were all, in their own strange ways, utterly magnificent. Adrian Chiles in particular. Every time I see a tea urn I think of his inscrutable joy at getting to descale them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just to chip in, I also get a little bored by the people who are competitive and actually good at the show. Nothing against the people themselves, Dara O'Brien and Richard Herring immediately come to mind, and both were a delight to watch. But I kind of turn against them when they start to really vie for technicalities when they're already on top, or (seemingly) get offended when they don't get five points because they're so used to it.

Part of it is also that the real prize of TM is getting to do more, and while O'Brien was fine, I really like chaos contestants and basically everyone else was *more* fun to watch do stuff. Sarah Millican woulda been great in CoC. Also it's more fun to root for the underdogs.

Kiell, Jenny, and Frankie are nearly 20 points behind Mae at this point, so they probably have it in the bag. But I'd love to see Jenny or Kiell take it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

People keep bringing up Richard Herring as a comparison and I never disliked his play as much as Mae and I was wondering why. Looking back at his season I think it's specifically because that season was stronger overall. A player like Richard Herring just fades into the background of a stronger season, and there were some banger tasks in season 10 ("am I the spider?", "bin juice", "helium egg", etc) so Herring being boring just let them focus on the insanity of the rest of the cast. There's not enough to distract from Mae's boring efficiency this season, and if you're thinking the season isn't very strong you're going to be looking for reasons why and find Mae's play. Plus season 10 was competitive between Daisy and Richard the whole way and this season very much does not look competitive.

On a 1 on 1 basis I think I'd put Mae above Richard (below Dara) but season 15 can't absorb a boringly competent person as much as previous seasons.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think ultimately Taskmaster is just super subjective and it's probably incredibly hard to make as well because even great tasks could become boring because the contestants weren't "on" during the day they each did it or whatever, or potentially boring tasks can become pure gold because someone does something insane during them. Also people will find different stuff interesting even aside from that of course.

Cause yeah I had the exact opposite reaction to Season 10 as an example, I was really looking forward to Richard Herring being on TM and then found him and that season as a whole incredibly boring, felt like the tasks had hit the point of being ridiculously complicated that the contestants struggled to keep up with the rules. To me it was pretty much only saved by Mawaan Rizwan, whereas I'm loving this season entirely. Shame it's not working for you.

I think Season 8 and 10 are the only two I'd actively say I didn't like, Season 9 is on the edge, I pretty much only like Rose and Katy in the cast of that one but the tasks were pretty inventive.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't remember anything about Richard Herring other than his one man play. Perhaps Mae will get a showstopper of a task and that will overwrite all my memories of then

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's all about the Gusto!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Phigs posted:

People keep bringing up Richard Herring as a comparison and I never disliked his play as much as Mae and I was wondering why. Looking back at his season I think it's specifically because that season was stronger overall. A player like Richard Herring just fades into the background of a stronger season, and there were some banger tasks in season 10 ("am I the spider?", "bin juice", "helium egg", etc) so Herring being boring just let them focus on the insanity of the rest of the cast. There's not enough to distract from Mae's boring efficiency this season, and if you're thinking the season isn't very strong you're going to be looking for reasons why and find Mae's play. Plus season 10 was competitive between Daisy and Richard the whole way and this season very much does not look competitive.

On a 1 on 1 basis I think I'd put Mae above Richard (below Dara) but season 15 can't absorb a boringly competent person as much as previous seasons.

It’s a personality thing I think.

Mae is flat for every minute of every task, post task chatter, and studio banter. There is minimal to 0 emotion, expression, joy, celebration, frustration, regret, or anything else. They just come in, do the task, say a liner, and are gone. It’s just hard to engage when watching someone perform in that manner because we’re just watching them do a weird thing.

While both Richard and Dara were focused way too hard on competence and winning over entertainment, they each had plenty of moments of celebration, frustration, and just joy. They were expressive in a way Mae seems genuinely incapable of. Which is totally fine as a person, but doesn’t work for such a zany show.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think describing a pretty deadpan comedian as genuinely incapable of joy veers precipitously into psychoanalysis

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eke out posted:

i think describing a pretty deadpan comedian as genuinely incapable of joy veers precipitously into psychoanalysis

I don’t think they actually are genuinely incapable of joy by any stretch, and I think their style as a human is wonderful and I’m friends with lots of similar people.

I just don’t think it makes for very fun or engaging silly tv show contestant.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
All round a strong episode. I do enjoy a good "Why would you do that to me?" from Jenny.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Frankie saying 'You just couldn't shut the gently caress up could you?' to Ivo was amazing, the weary, fatherly disappointment in his voice was entirely unfeigned.

Also, quite possibly the best prize task section in years. Jennys' and Frankies were so funny, and Kiells' was simply magnificent.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"Oh no, I'm inbred"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how the live task felt like the culmination of years and years of Alex' weird measuring unit jokes.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
An extremely good episode. Also, easily one of the top 3 prize tasks of the entire Taskmaster catalog.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Has there ever been a better prize task winner? Maybe Mark Watson stealing Greg's pants, or Laura in NZ stealing everyone's girlfriends.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's a shame Ivo couldn't submit him not dressing up like a mummy, because that sneaky moment still lives rent free in my head.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Has there ever been a better prize task winner? Maybe Mark Watson stealing Greg's pants, or Laura in NZ stealing everyone's girlfriends.

"It's not a picture, Greg.

It's a short film!"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Probably the best episode this season. Also laughed at Frankie deliberately failing at the final task just so he wouldn't win.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

vanity slug posted:

Probably the best episode this season. Also laughed at Frankie deliberately failing at the final task just so he wouldn't win.

the die was cast as soon as it was revealed that you got to sit down once you were eliminated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
he's said outright on the podcast that he really doesn't want to win an episode because he doesn't want to have to go up and pretend to enjoy the prizes, so there's that too lol